PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial on Wall Height Reduction Under 4 Clicks

V1ND1CARE
17th Sep 2006, 12:39 AM
This tutorial is on how to create zero-, one-, two-, and three- click walls. I have written the document in Word and it is assumed that the reader has a basic working knowledge of the ConstrainFloorElevation cheat.

The applications of my method defy the scope of this rudimentary tutorial. (And it is rudimentary. Spelling fanatics and English majors will have a heyday with my writing. Thus, apologies given in advance.) So, have fun with it. Torture the cheat to the fullest extent and always think outside of the box. ANYTHING is possible in this game.

(Below are pictures of various ways in which this method may be applied.)

bluetexasbonnie
17th Sep 2006, 12:50 AM
OOOOHHH! I'm going to check back every hour to catch this ASAP after approval. I can hardly wait to see how you managed to trick the system into doing the impossible.

patul
17th Sep 2006, 12:51 AM
A great thank you for this tuto...Sure it wil be useful when it will be downloadable :)

poplers
17th Sep 2006, 4:36 AM
thanks so much! i've been salivating (not really) at the thought of that when i first caught sight of it in your journal! Thanks so much!

Numenor
17th Sep 2006, 10:53 AM
Great tutorial! Moved to the Build Tutorial forum :)

Inge Jones
17th Sep 2006, 11:00 AM
Make it be approved! :D

niol
17th Sep 2006, 11:13 AM
Here I hold the same wish as Inge... :bunny:... U know, I'm been jumping ups and down...

corvidophile2
17th Sep 2006, 11:24 AM
I've been waiting for this one , HUGE thanks for sharing your findings V1ND1CARE, i can't wait for it to be approved!!! (wow @ 2nd pic).And since i am here and i know many will read this i cannot understand why you haven't been awarded with the MOOMOO award just yet (you have contributed so many outstanding lots and finds with the community). I will be waiting to see you there next month.

Regards

Corvi

Pixelhate
17th Sep 2006, 11:43 AM
Oooh ! More secrets, Knowledges and findings shared... How nice. Thanks

patul
17th Sep 2006, 3:05 PM
It is downloadable...

I dont undertand everything... but I work it ! :)

A great MERCI !!

bluetexasbonnie
17th Sep 2006, 3:59 PM
I'm about to go try putting it in action. It sounds like with a little practice it should be readily doable.

niol
17th Sep 2006, 4:21 PM
Wow, that's so cool, the undo-redo method is working very well in the base game...
Just a note, this technique can work with non-modified walls (the default wall1 settings)
gonna check which modicaiton(s) may enervate this technique.
*Added*:, for those walls with "requiresFlatTop true" should work well.

Great job... V1ND1CARE

THanks... Now, I'm jumping more! :bunny:

Seemingly, an exploit on the undo-redo scripting of the engine can break the preset limit routine... the resultant addition or substraction was done for the undo-redo scripting separately instead of running the same tool to cause the effect. Thus the 4-click-limit-setting could have been set in the build tool itself rather than the temporary file or the lot file or else and so might not have been enforced for the scripting routine.

Now, I'm thikning if this hypothesis can be true and its further applications.
It may have something to do with the undo-ctrl-delete trick as well as the simple undo trick.for the ground.

Not much to add for now:
So, tiles can be done before the deformation. I've 2 levels of tile intertwined...
that'll be really cool decorations... :D

V1ND1CARE
17th Sep 2006, 4:27 PM
The method is extremely simple but users should be cautious in later using the cfe on top of or below where they have lowered the wall. The game does try to correct itself and will undo your work. But this can be exploited as well.

m618915
18th Sep 2006, 3:19 PM
This is great tutorial and Im going to try it, thanks for sharing

cyclonesue
25th Sep 2006, 5:44 AM
Wow! Just picking up my jaw from the floor! Awesome technique! I've lost count of how many times I've said 'not possible' in the past to people who've asked if walls less than 4 clicks are possible. And your lots are in a class of their own. Outstanding.

V1ND1CARE
25th Sep 2006, 3:55 PM
Thanks cyclonesue. There are so many variations that this technique opens up -- true caves and basements, for one. The build mechanics just continue to surprise me.

Cyclist101
3rd Oct 2006, 4:39 PM
V1ND1CARE, how do you come up with all these cool things that boggle the mind!? I agree with corvidophile2, you should be awarded for creating the impossible. Thank you for this tutorial.

In your journal you showed a basement that you said was possible through combining floors with the ground. I noticed that you had no ground deformation that you would have to mask with another wall or plants. Another impossible feat that is done with this method?

Anyway thanks again for the tut. (Tiko spoke very highly of you in a thread and that's how I found this!)

niol
3rd Oct 2006, 5:56 PM
lol... I back that V1ND1CARE should be awarded for all the amazing things she's shown ...

I'm gonna experiment the cave thing or basement thing you've found out... when I'm freer... :D

Nicolafred
8th Oct 2006, 4:57 PM
I stumbled at the first hurdle... how do I get the wall to be 4 clicks high??? Call me stupid but ive never used this cheat before...

Inge Jones
8th Oct 2006, 5:23 PM
I just replied to your same question in another thread.

Timmnuv2
18th Nov 2006, 8:28 PM
Am I doing something wrong, or does it only work with the base game? I have all the EPs, SPs and patches and I can't do it! :cry:

niol
19th Nov 2006, 12:09 AM
Timmnuv2,

are you sure you follow the tutorial carefully? say, not missing when to activate or deactivate the cheat? Properly undo and then redo the sequences.
The turorial maker has "Games Purchased: Original, University, Nightlife, Open for Business Stuff Packs Purchased: Family Fun". So, the trick should still work in the EP/SP you have listed in your profile.

Lol, just try again more carefully... and I believe you'll get there... I personally have tried the tutorial for at least several times, and it's working well. It's a powerful trick.

Inge Jones
19th Nov 2006, 12:54 AM
Some of the build things are working differently after installing Pets, I have found. Niol, did you try this since then?

Timmnuv2
19th Nov 2006, 1:48 PM
I actually have Pets and Glamour, I just forgot to update my profile. :faceslap:

niol
19th Nov 2006, 5:19 PM
Inge Jones,

No, I've no pets EP coz I'm broke right now. $_$
Oh no, what this infers sounds a horrible news . Recently, I'm already very much "impressed" psychotically by all the build-mode-related news about what Pets has brought us! :blink: Maxis has successfully created an impression that every new EP of theirs is likely a whole bunch of nightmares!
Don't tell me Maxis tried to enervate this trick intentionally and/or innocently... by calling it a fix! :wtf: & :faceslap:
Seemingly, the overall Pets team is a horrible one. :(

Yet, with Numenor's BaseGameStarter *PRO*, This shouldn't be a big problem so far, right?

All,

Has anyone with Pets tried to install and run a lot with <4-click walls successfully including that the <4-click walls are showing well under Pets?

Timmnuv2,

May try Numenor's BaseGameStarter *PRO* to get a non-pets and/or non-glamour game version to build your lot(s) with this trick.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107015

patul
19th Nov 2006, 11:55 PM
No pblem with pets ep
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/patul_photos/sc4/snapshot_00000007_b26d14fb.jpg

I dont use pets for building but perhaps a day...

No pblem when you are back to the lot :)

V1ND1CARE
21st Nov 2006, 3:33 PM
Timmnuv2 this technique does work with all of the SPs and EPs, Pets included. As Niol suggested, are you certain that youre following all of the steps precisely? This trick requires that you undo and redo the steps exactly as the document outlines, or the maneuver wont work. The same is to be said of when to turn the cheat on and off, as this will effect how and if the wall will be reduced.

rhinsmsi
9th Jan 2007, 1:22 AM
I'm on an empty lot with one wall on top of the other. I turned on cFE just as in the tutorial but nothing is happening. I've gone up one level and clicked on top of the second wall and even clicked on the second floor invisible "tiles" and on the ground. Have I missed something? How does the wall shrink?

V1ND1CARE
9th Jan 2007, 5:25 AM
Rhinsmsi Im not sure that I understand exactly where you are in the steps and if you are reducing the top wall when you type that you are clicking on it. Clicking on the wall with the CFE turned on will not drop the wall height, if this is how you are attempting to do it.

Basically the walls height is drastically decreased by the action of first lowering the walls height, reducing terrain by x amount of clicks, undoing the actions with the CFE turned off to the point where the wall returns to its normal height of 16 clicks, and then hitting the redo button. Confusing, I know. But its this height lowering and undoing/redoing of the actions that tricks the game into shortening the walls thusly.

In my tutorial, Ive skipped over steps where basic CFE knowledge is used in lowering the walls. Might this be where you are experiencing problems? Numenor and MikeInside have some wonderful tutorials that illustrate the basics of the CFE cheat, and they can be found here respectively at http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=27877&asset_type=story&user_id=197655
and http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/tutorials.html .

Let me know if this helps or if your problem lies elsewhere in the steps.

rhinsmsi
10th Jan 2007, 1:20 AM
Thank you, V1nd1care. I didn't realize that I turned on the cheat, lowered the wall, etc. That's what was confusing me. Thank you again. And keep up the great work! :)

en7en
23rd Jan 2007, 10:21 PM
AAARGH! The site won't let me download this tutorial. This is the one tutorial I need to read! I've got twenty million ideas that I need this cheat for!

But Delphy, in his infinite drunken wisdom, gives me this error message:

"You are not allowed to get this file. If you are a MTS2 supporter, or a Featured Artist, or a MooMoo winner, then you must log out of the site and log back in again to access these pages."

Now, I've seen boneheaded error text before, but this one eats the cake. If I'm not logged in, I can't download. If I log in, I can't either. Sounds like I need a fake ID or something.

Maybe I'll just go kill myself. I can't take this kind of frustration!

bluetexasbonnie
23rd Jan 2007, 11:00 PM
en7en --
Just after the holidays I was getting this message on everything too. Ultimately I cleared my cache, erased all temp files, told it not to remember me, logged out, made sure I was good and logged out, told the disk cleaner utilitiy to get rid of all internet files (just in case there were some I was too ignorant to find), rebooted and Presto! when I logged back in, I was golden on downloads. T

There is a thread about it in site issues. I tried various '1-step' actions (e.g. logging out or clearing cache). That didn't seem to work. In an utter fit of temper, I tried everything that I found suggested on the thread all at once -- and it worked. Of course it probably doesn't really require all of those things, but I was getting desparate.

Ultimately, if that doesn't work, pm me with an email & I'll be glad to beam a copy over to you.

V1ND1CARE
24th Jan 2007, 12:31 AM
en7en -- Long time no see :)

Sorry, but I've never encountered that little error before. It must have something to do with the secondary downloads.

If you're still having download issues and bluetexas hasn't already sent you the file, just let me know.

niol
24th Jan 2007, 5:16 PM
omg, we can't wait to see what will come out soon... :anime:

Just add some experiences of mine here.
I still couldn't figure out how to make >1 level of compressed levels. the previously made one reverts back due to 4-click/4-step limits.

it's interesting, the levelling tool wouldn't cause the <4-click phenomenon nor can it cause the compressed layers to revert back to 4-click-high in-between.

Only the raising and lowering tools can do both.

N, if an extra click of raising or lowering is accidentally made, it's safe to click undo during the whole process as long as the bp-cfe is set to false still.

It may be good to pre-tile the floor layers to help stronger fixation of the grid layers.

Since modular stairs can only work with no less than 2-steps, this technique allows split level low like 2 steps high.
May read here (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=151575) if not yet.

Yet, it's often to avoid bp-cfe-f with a level of 4-click-high unless a bounced extra click addition is wanted.

smacksim
20th Feb 2007, 10:39 AM
Great tutorial V1nd1care.

I think there is a small error in method 'B', #4, which states:

"Turn off the CFE and raise the terrain beneath the walls base by 3 clicks."
when I think you mean
"Raise the terrain.....and then turn off CFE"

Not a big deal as anyone who can do the first method will figure out the second and third.

Thanks for the excellent expert building technique spelled out so clearly!

Reyn
25th Feb 2007, 5:25 AM
Thank goodness - I'd tried this way back and that caused me problems - decided to give it another try and still had problems. Whee - I got it to work finally now!

V1ND1CARE
25th Feb 2007, 3:59 PM
Yikes -- thanks for pointing that error out, smacksim. Goes to show that one can never proof read a document enough.

Reyn sorry about the confusion that this caused. Im glad to read that you were able to get it working properly.

The Sorceress
19th May 2007, 7:24 PM
I'm very curious, sometimes i can't believe that what you've build is possible, it will be nice to finally see who you did it LOL like a magician who reveals his magic. Thank you very much :)

SimDominator
4th Jun 2007, 2:00 AM
:up: This is a great find ya got there but i cant seem to get B or C to work properly, after i folow all the steps i end up with a normal height base wall and a 4 high 2nd story wall, both lowered by 3 cliks as specified in the tutorial. The terrain under the base wall ends up lowered by 3 clicks when it should be level with the ground surrounding it, correct? I beleive i am messing up one of the steps to cause this but i am not sure which 1, please help. :(

niol
5th Jun 2007, 6:28 PM
SimDominator,

may read back post 35 to spot out the known error in this tutorial.
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showpost.php?p=1583264&postcount=35

Killa_Dilla
22nd Jun 2007, 11:08 AM
I can't get the method to work. I think my problem lies in the initial lowering of the wall. I can't lower the second story wall to 4 clicks without either extending the wall by 2 segments (so I can do the necesary raising and flattening) or build an external structure to level from. How can I lower the second story with only one segment of wall as illustrated?

Killa_Dilla
22nd Jun 2007, 4:51 PM
Belay my last. I found out how to do it. It definately is an amazing trick! I am using it to augment my signiature double-staircase entrance. I am making progress with it, and it looks better now than it did without said trick, but I am still a bit fuzzy on the applications and it is frustrating that it undoes itself if you change the level of the wall again. I would like to read more tutorials on how to apply this to create some of those awesome structures (like the ship).

V1ND1CARE
25th Jun 2007, 5:06 PM
Killa Dilla -- I'm glad that you got it to work for you. Yes, the applications can get a bit tricky but it'll become second nature for you the more that you play with it. :) Experimentation can be the best teacher.

Killa_Dilla
26th Jun 2007, 5:07 AM
Is it theoretically possible to make negative height walls (such that the second floor is actually lower than the first) by doing the initial raise of the lower wall by more than 4 clicks? I want to try this and see what happens.

V1ND1CARE
26th Jun 2007, 5:37 AM
Having used the process myself in constructing lots like The Venture, negative height walls are completely feasible. ;)

SimDominator
25th Jul 2007, 4:38 AM
I did in fact read post 35 about the error but i think this is just too complicated for me. Im horrible with instructions unless some1s actualy helping me personally but thanks for this tutorial, great work!!

niol
25th Jul 2007, 9:37 AM
Lol, all you need is
1. confidence to try out what's written in the tutorial and learn about how it works technically.
2. browse-through or even some play on some lots that apply this techniques... So, you may gain insight on how the technique can be used.
say,
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showthread.php?t=228145
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/showthread.php?t=185113

3. application of all the you have learnt along with inspirations to your creations. :)

Lord Damian Kroogle
8th Apr 2008, 3:36 AM
Well, I really didn't understand the tutorial well... I dont even know how to do half of the things; I do not know how to reduce neither to grow the walls... I guess Ill never get to this stuff...

-- Damian Kroogle

niol
8th Apr 2008, 9:14 AM
Lord Damian Kroogle,

lol, which section and which part did you start to get lost?
May consider it as 1. plan for the position --> 2. the procedure --> 3. the expected results.

Lord Damian Kroogle
8th Apr 2008, 12:00 PM
On the first step... I was already lost... I dont know how to do anything with the CFE... Only basic things, like changing roofs and stuff...

niol
8th Apr 2008, 9:51 PM
May read and learn the infos linked in "What you will need" and the tutorial sections
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Introduction_to_Stealth_Stairs

In the former section, Numenor's tutorial introduced the basic concept of the cheat and guide you a few examples.
May get used to that first if not.

In the tutorial section, Ralphael showed how to use modular stairs to compress the level grid as well as making stealth stairs...
But making 3 consecutive sets of modular stairs on the same level grid layer, the walls right under the last stair lower end will be compressed down to 4-click-high/4-step-high/0.75.

May also learn how to use guide wall from Mikeinside's tutorial as well....
http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/building/dummystairs/index.html

By using a guide wall/column, one can drag-control the wall height.

These linked are the basic techniques to learn how to work with the bp cfe cheat.

The another way to make walls <4-click/step-high is to HEX-mod the lot package file as linked in my signature.
what to try, you decide.

If more questions about those linked, may post at the build mode.
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

But if you have mor question about this tutorial in this thread, surely please ask here... :)

Lord Damian Kroogle
8th Apr 2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks... I guess it will be much more helpful... Now all I need to do is try... =]

Damian Kroogle

Trkiye
3rd Aug 2008, 9:24 AM
Thanks for this tutorial very much. but I have a question when I try to build two wall atop each other under 4 clicks level the wall under the other wall becomes 4 clicks level how can I improve this?..

niol
3rd Aug 2008, 8:35 PM
Thanks for this tutorial very much. but I have a question when I try to build two wall atop each other under 4 clicks level the wall under the other wall becomes 4 clicks level how can I improve this?..

The technique in this tutorial can allow users to deform the wall less than 4-click/4-step/0.75 for once at a time.

using a build tool that can affect the elevation at the <4-click site vertically can undo the trick simply because a build tool will initiate at least a check for that limit.

In the case of the wall tools, it can be affected by the wall properties set in the script wall.txt
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=106473
with both RequiresFlatBottom and RequiresFlatTop set to true, the wall tool can easily cause the game to enforce the 4-click limit.

villhelm706
6th Aug 2008, 7:45 PM
I'm sorry, I Know this is a stupid question, but could someone explain how you make a seamless basement? I've tried but I can't do it.

niol
7th Aug 2008, 6:39 PM
villhelm706,

if it's done by this trick, I hope such tutorial may come out soon.

if with custom objects to hide away the slant, may check out the wiki for custom objects. it should be in the build mode category for custom objects.

villhelm706
9th Aug 2008, 11:47 AM
villhelm706,

if it's done by this trick, I hope such tutorial may come out soon.

if with custom objects to hide away the slant, may check out the wiki for custom objects. it should be in the build mode category for custom objects.

No I want to know with this trick.
Haven't tried custom objects I'll check that out.

gimbel92
12th Aug 2008, 2:34 PM
If you have any succes with custom objects, please give us a heads up, because i would like to know this, too

niol
15th Aug 2008, 6:02 PM
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=242420
the object

gimbel92
15th Aug 2008, 6:20 PM
oh thx, but the problem is, the sims cant walk over it and it doesnt really look like the original MAXIS-Grass ;)

But in the journal from V1ND1CARE stand, that she will make a tut for the "true sunken basement" :) I hope such tut come out soon ;)

niol
17th Aug 2008, 7:05 PM
she'll post it when ready, I believe.

landon
26th Aug 2008, 1:36 AM
but when i downloaded this tutorial the pics wont show up so I dont understand the tutorial

gimbel92
26th Aug 2008, 6:20 PM
You must wait a few minutes...... Then, they should appear :)

landon
27th Aug 2008, 12:24 AM
You must wait a few minutes...... Then, they should appear :) But thats not the problem the problem is that the tutorial refuses to show the pics

niol
27th Aug 2008, 5:06 PM
But thats not the problem the problem is that the tutorial refuses to show the pics

what progrmme are you trying to open the tutorial?
can it be a setting in the programme inhibiting the display of images?

maybe, you can try an office suite like open office (freeware, may google it if necessary) to open it.

kofforda
29th Aug 2008, 6:24 PM
thats genious, ive tried for so long making tiny walls, thank you so mush..

Killa_Dilla
29th Jun 2009, 6:28 PM
I understand that this thread is more than a year old, so this may seem like necroposting. However, in light of the recent release of The Sims 3, I was wondering if their was an alternative method to creating 0 click high walls or if the current method is still applicable. Perhaps someone with a little more building skill than myself could test it? I have yet to get the method to work myself but this may be cause I am doing something wrong. Again, sorry for reviving the thread but I feel that the knowledge may be useful.

niol
1st Jul 2009, 7:26 AM
Killa_Dilla,

Actually, this is a good idea...

I also wanna know if this can work in TS3, too.

Mootilda
1st Jul 2009, 5:38 PM
The TS2GridAdjuster is an alternative to this technique for TS2. However, it has not been ported to TS3.