PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried? (building question)

Kimdelee
12th Jun 2009, 6:50 PM
I tried for so long to build my moms house, which has like a half basement for her lower floor, and it was impossible in TS2. Has anyone tried this yet? Or built into the side of a hill basically?

CharleeRose
12th Jun 2009, 6:56 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to make a working "normal" basement in TS3 yet.

I read that making one is the same as in TS2, but after I made one, I couldn't place anything down there other than the stairs. I had made the walls and floor and all that, just couldn't place a treadmill or any other object (I tried many).

I'm not sure what I could have done wrong since almost every house I made in TS2 had basements that I used as game/workout rooms and I'm quite used to building my own basements.

AyaJulia
12th Jun 2009, 6:57 PM
You -can- build a half basement, but no sim will be able to go into it.

I've done it in TS2--the house I lived in last had half a crawlspace and half a full-height basement for a workshop and laundry room. I don't see why it would be impossible in TS3 if it was possible in TS2, but again, no sim will be able to GO in that space.

I've built working full basements in TS3, also.

Kimdelee
12th Jun 2009, 7:18 PM
thats the problem Aya...My sisters closet is in what youd consider the underground part of the house as well as my brothers bedroom being fully surrounded by foundation. It was the best insulated room in the house-LOL Not to mention the bedroom on the otherside of the house having one wall touching the foundation wall too.

*sigh* my Moms house will never be built in Sims I guess.

Mkvenner
12th Jun 2009, 9:43 PM
Do you mean like...the floor is a basement on the front, but is the 'ground level' on the back? You could definitely do that in Sims 2...I had a few houses like that.

The basement in 3 is weird, because the raise and lower tool is kinda finnicky. Also, I've found that the best bet for basements is to place your foundation, mess with the elevations inside that, build (inside the complete foundation) your walls and once that is done, you remove the foundation inside the walls. Suddenly, POOF! You have a basement that works just fine.

I'd make a guide or something, but I figure somebody else has explained it better than I. (And I haven't tried the 'house on a hill' thing yet.)

DevilsAdvocate
12th Jun 2009, 9:46 PM
Building in TS3 is a huuge step down from TS2.

Mkvenner
12th Jun 2009, 9:47 PM
There have definitely been a couple of points where I've been stumped about what the builder thing is doing, but overall, I disagree. It isn't a step down..it's just not a very large step up.

Kimdelee
12th Jun 2009, 9:58 PM
Do you mean like...the floor is a basement on the front, but is the 'ground level' on the back? You could definitely do that in Sims 2...I had a few houses like that.

The basement in 3 is weird, because the raise and lower tool is kinda finnicky. Also, I've found that the best bet for basements is to place your foundation, mess with the elevations inside that, build (inside the complete foundation) your walls and once that is done, you remove the foundation inside the walls. Suddenly, POOF! You have a basement that works just fine.

I'd make a guide or something, but I figure somebody else has explained it better than I. (And I haven't tried the 'house on a hill' thing yet.)

Yes, a basement in front and ground in the back. AKA a house built in a hill-lol I know it could be done in TS2, but you couldnt use the space that was hereby squished to no end under the hill. That or someone did figure it out and I never found the tutorial.

If anyones up for the challenge Ill send some sort of floorplans of her house. No matter if its TS2 or TS3..

Thanks for the replies though.

Mkvenner
12th Jun 2009, 10:01 PM
Oh, yeah, that was fairly simple, once you had the concept, in Sims 2. I don't remember where the tutorial is...but it's probably possible in 3.

Usable space in the basement, of course.

AyaJulia
12th Jun 2009, 10:06 PM
Oh, I see what you mean. Ignore my previous comment, then.

I thought you were talking about half the basement being a "half floor" (i.e. 8 clicks high in TS2 terms, where sims need 16 clicks to move around).

House in a hill should be totally possible in TS3 with no hitches.... Operative words "should be" of course.

Kimdelee
12th Jun 2009, 10:07 PM
Hmm then maybe I should have put out a request or challenge to someone ages ago :D

Kimdelee
12th Jun 2009, 10:11 PM
In fact its too bad it couldnt just be as simple as like cutting the side of the hill out, building the 2 or 3 floors you want, then pulling the ground back up to an angle along the sides of the house. But heck thatd bee too easy.

Mkvenner
12th Jun 2009, 10:32 PM
Well, I just conducted a little experiment, and yes, it works just fine in 3. I can provide you with screenshots of the, uhm "masterfully" (un)decorated home, if you want to see...but it's nothing groundbreaking, certainly.

kattenijin
12th Jun 2009, 11:38 PM
There have definitely been a couple of points where I've been stumped about what the builder thing is doing, but overall, I disagree. It isn't a step down..it's just not a very large step up.

It's an enormous step down! You have to do all your basement building before you can add an upper floor, if you originally build on foundation "pillars" and later decide to enclose the area, it complains about objects on the upper level, window placement along roof lines is worse, the roofs not being able to be individually adjusted is a big step back, non stackable stairs is worse, the "can't intersect other objects" is worse; ie: in Sims2 you can build a 1x3 half bath with a door and window across from each other 1 tile away, not in Sims3 with out cheats; and some of the wall mirrors won't place in a corner if they intersect a window in the corner, but they will place OVER the window (which is dumb) . There is a lot more, but I feel I've made my point. I'm sure there ar a ton of people who will say "just wait for a patch, or an EP" but I shouldn't HAVE TO! When you bring out a new version of a game you build on the previous one, not take steps backwards! For 5 years we screamed at EA to get spiral stairs, and finally got them in the last EP. I don't feel like screaming for 5 years more. EA knows what we want and expect and they don't care.

Kimdelee
13th Jun 2009, 3:52 AM
Well, I just conducted a little experiment, and yes, it works just fine in 3. I can provide you with screenshots of the, uhm "masterfully" (un)decorated home, if you want to see...but it's nothing groundbreaking, certainly.

Sure, Id love to.