PDA

View Full Version : Help with custom content please!

xxamsey
24th Jul 2009, 2:31 AM
I noticed this when I downloaded things from the EA store- if it had anything to do with CAS, my game would crash, turn black, and I'd have to restart. Objects in game, however, worked fine. I deleted all the clothes and hair I installed, and went on as normal, but my game kept crashing in-game, so I gave it a clean reinstall.
I then downloaded Peggy's hair, which worked, so I was confident more custom content would work. I then downloaded HP's hair, only to find that when I clicked on hair, it crashed.

==System==

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1)
* System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
* System Model: DM051
* Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
* Memory: 2558MB RAM
* Page File: 494 MB used, 2764 MB available
* DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0C

==Display==

* Name: Radeon X300 SE 128MB Hypermemory
* Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
* Chip Type: Radeon X300 SE (0x5B60)
* Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB

* Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
* Version: 6.14.0010.6561

That's all pretty much greek to me, and I'm not sure if I needed more information, but is there anything I can do? Is it a bug, or is it my computer?
I realize there is a question like this but I figured my problem was a tad different as custom content works in game and the Peggy hair works.

callistra
24th Jul 2009, 2:38 AM
Your system specs are incomplete. Please post the -entire- template that you used. You've only copied the first part.

xxamsey
24th Jul 2009, 2:41 AM
I filled in more of the information, sorry.

callistra
24th Jul 2009, 3:09 AM
Thanks. That's what I needed. Your problem could be due to the additional graphics strain. While your computer does technically meet minimum requirements there are people who report problems on much stronger cards. In fact that graphics card isn't a fully dedicated card. It uses something called hypermemory, which basically means it has a very small amount of it's own memory and the rest it steals from the system RAM. Supported integrated graphics are more comparable to the card than anything else, and EA says IGPs require a stronger processor than you have to work.

Try installing these:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.21&lang=English
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3
They won't make your card any stronger but they might help performance a touch.

Someone else will comment if they think there's more to it then that but I'm quite sure HP tested her hair thoroughly and I haven't seen any other reports about her hairs causing games to crash. You could try redownloading to see if maybe it was corrupted somehow. I have seen a few reports of crashing with Peggy hair installed though, so you might want to see if it still crashes when you take it out.

xxamsey
24th Jul 2009, 3:16 AM
Wow, thank you for your help! I know it's not caused by HP's hair, as EA store hair didn't work either. It's better news to get a new graphics card than to get a whole new computer, haha.
Thanks again for your help.