PDA

View Full Version : making custom modular stairs recolorable?

lucy kemnitzer
20th Aug 2009, 5:33 AM
Has anybody laid out the steps for converting a currently nonrecolorable custom modular stair to a recolorable one?

I found instructions for adding subsets to objects that don't have them, but isn't that about objects that are already recolorable, but only have one subset?

I think I might be able to figure out how to do it if I understood why modular stairs are initially unrecolorable in the first place (that is, where in the package is the thing that makes them not recolorable).

Dj Music
20th Aug 2009, 12:13 PM
I think you've got to clone the Original, and then make sure your Object GUID's match your MMAT files and that will make them recolourable. I could be wrong though...

HugeLunatic
20th Aug 2009, 3:25 PM
There are no MMAT files. Non-recolorable means it's missing quite a few things that need to be added.

lucy kemnitzer
20th Aug 2009, 5:25 PM
So is that what you did for the art nouveau stairs -- add MMAT files?

I thought specifically that the recoloable mod stairs so far made were not clones of the originals, because they don't show up as separate items in the catalog (except the open-underneath versions). Am I wrong in thinking that a cloned object takes its own catalog position?

Also the recolorable stairs don't need new scripts. These are the two reasons I would like to make the stairs in question recolorable: my catalog is already very large and unwieldy in the stairs department, and managing more scripts is an annoyance I'd rather do without (I have passed on some lovely new modular stairs because I couldn't be bothered saving any more scripts and installing them).

Oh, and as long as I'm asking questions about stairs, is there a reason they can't be made with subsets? It would be really dandy if I could color the railings differently from the rest.

HugeLunatic
20th Aug 2009, 6:06 PM
I wouldn't recommend using modular stairs as your first project adding recolorable subsets, something easier like an object to get your feet wet. There isn't going to be a specific tutorial for every object, but there are tutorials that explain this, you just have to apply it to your own object.

Whether or not a cloned objects takes its own space in the catalog depends on how you clone. Some recolorable stairs do need scripts, again depends on how the object was cloned. I think most of the games stairs are already recolorable, Numenor has 2 for sure, and I have 3 or 4. Haven't done them all as open underneath simply because...I'm lazy? ;)

Edit: Nope railings are part of the step mesh.

lucy kemnitzer
20th Aug 2009, 6:43 PM
Thank you for your answer.I think I've downloaded all the recolorable stairs that are available here.

I was interested in recoloring Prida's Fallingwater stairs because I love them, they go with the Fallingwater fences which I also love, and nothing else is quite like them. But I've been doing a project "nearly matching" a whole of of things to 14 of the Maxis stucco wall colors (and possibly later some other stucco colors to fill in the palette for the various purposes I have in mind -- very cross-cultural, stucco is, and requires some lud colors and some diginified ones) and producing 14+ clones of two separate stairs, each requiring a script, seemed more daunting than I'd like to do.

I don't think you're lazy. Now, me, I'm lazy. I've been thinking about this project for a really long time and I just now got to it (and while most of the most important pieces are done satisfactorily, there are a lot more that need work).