PDA

View Full Version : Create A World Tool Now Availble...

Pages : [1] 2

Sassytasia22
16th Dec 2009, 9:00 PM
Just saw this on my facebook page yay its finally here....

The Sims 3 Create a World Tool is now available! Put the power of world creation into your hands!

Get it here--> http://bit.ly/6QGNoh

Or here--> http://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world

cowboy57
16th Dec 2009, 9:08 PM
:report: it is true , cw is there and I just downloaded , get back to ya on how it works , at least for me . cool :lol: Just saw this on my facebook page yay its finally here....

The Sims 3 Create a World Tool is now available! Put the power of world creation into your hands!

Get it here--> http://bit.ly/6QGNoh

Or here--> http://www.thesims3.com/game/tools/world

Claeric
16th Dec 2009, 9:08 PM
Aren't there any direct downloads? It is trying to force me to waste time signing up for the community. I don't want to join the community. :|

I probably can't run the thing yet, not until christmas, but I wanted to fiddle with it anyway and get used to it...

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 9:13 PM
Yay! I wasn't going to play The Sims tonight but now I have been persuaded to do otherwise :D . One question, is the Create a World Tool in-game or sort of a seperate programme?

Sassytasia22
16th Dec 2009, 9:13 PM
i think you have to be a member of the community to get it because you have to agree to the terms to download it but i'm not sure if i can package the download and send it to people

And it looks to me to be a separate program

cowboy57
16th Dec 2009, 9:16 PM
:report: I went to run it and had to install patch 1.8 , as far as direct download , I would say not yet as it came available 30 minutes ago

MondayMorning
16th Dec 2009, 9:21 PM
I didn't realize there was even a patch out, but I saw the CAW on my facebook as well. So I'm downloading both as we speak! :D

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 9:22 PM
Yep, it is a seperate programme.

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 9:23 PM
Its a sepereate programs but there is a button that says edit in game.

Ingeborgsk
16th Dec 2009, 9:31 PM
How do you add a new layer in the CAW tool? o.O

Petchy
16th Dec 2009, 9:31 PM
I am so happy! Downloading it as I type ^________________________________^

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 9:33 PM
How do you add a new layer in the CAW tool? o.O

No idea, I took all the layers off sept the terain layer under file menu. All Ive been able to do so far is create some mountains but some sand round the sides and add roads.

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 9:36 PM
I just had a blast at it, and to be fair I don't think they have made things easy for those of us without the skills :'(

Arisuka
16th Dec 2009, 9:40 PM
NO WAY, IT's HERE!!!

OMG, I'll use it the whole night through :giggler:

Ingeborgsk
16th Dec 2009, 9:41 PM
No idea, I took all the layers off sept the terain layer under file menu. All Ive been able to do so far is create some mountains but some sand round the sides and add roads.

If you rightclick the "worldlayer" button, you can add a new layer. I have no idea what it means, though... I can't even make roads, why did they have to make this so confusing :blink: How do you change the landscape? (add mountains, water)

ravenlocks
16th Dec 2009, 9:43 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I am having a blast creating maps in photoshop!! :D

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 9:45 PM
What is the point in trying to 'edit in game' - I don't think you can do anything except place lots in game :S

Ive
OMG. Finally

What an odd time to release it. Killed the excitement lol.

Austin0331
Could someone send me a direct link please, on the Sims 3 Website it says: "I agree with EA and all that crap..." Bla bla bla, but there's nothing else. Just that and a blank box. Help please?

HEELP!!! I REALLY WANT TO USE IT!!! :help:

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 9:52 PM
What is the point in trying to 'edit in game' - I don't think you can do anything except place lots in game :S

I tried it and I just kept crashing my pc. Leaving that alone for the time being.

Ive
16th Dec 2009, 9:56 PM
I have a feeling this patch will screw my game up :(

Edit: Yep, its making my sims 3 launcher fail. How nice.

ambnumber11
16th Dec 2009, 9:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh! Noooooooooo! I was looking forward to this tool for months only to discover it only works on PCs! You disappoint me again EA. :(

mordiana
16th Dec 2009, 9:58 PM
If you rightclick the "worldlayer" button, you can add a new layer. I have no idea what it means, though... I can't even make roads, why did they have to make this so confusing :blink: How do you change the landscape? (add mountains, water)

Use the landscape editing tool, there's many settings for mountains there, I've now already created the basic height map for my map but I'm still trying to figure out road placement. I managed to make a layer that supports lots.. but roads are evil.

So far I think its great, I figured enough out to enjoy myself with it (like I found how you can zoom out, for those also wondering: scroll button!)

Either way, trying to figure it out will be my main activity for the upcomming few hours :)

Claeric
16th Dec 2009, 10:00 PM
Isn't there an instruction manual? Or did you all just jump into it? After all, who needs instructions, right? >_>

loco_senorita
16th Dec 2009, 10:00 PM
TSR got a copy of it early and reviewed it...they said it was fairly technical and not exactly the most user-friendly tool...but if you have experience with working in Photoshop / graphics programs with layers, that might make it easier.

I am downloading it as I type! I'm so super duper excited to play with it (:

Night Racer
16th Dec 2009, 10:03 PM
Im downloading it now...are there any Printscreens of it? i wanna see the interface... XD

surley it must have a menu somwhere where you can add roads and terrain types... O_o

And its so confusing because it was used by professinal developers...i think its nice of them. Hopefully it'll have a more Sim City feel that a Photoshop feel...if you know what i mean.. O-o

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 10:11 PM
Im finding it to be like photoshop quite a bit. I only have a basic knowledge of photoshop :( guess using this will help me get better at it.

Petchy
16th Dec 2009, 10:22 PM
Just a note: You HAVE to have your game patched up-to-date for the CreateAWorld tool. It just.. cries and goes into a corner making you update if you don't.
..So I'm going to try Patching... AGAIN! XD

gobot101
16th Dec 2009, 10:24 PM
Isn't there an instruction manual? Or did you all just jump into it? After all, who needs instructions, right? >_>

There may be, accessed in the program, but there isn't one you can read before you start up the program, only a readme file.

And is anyone having issues with the program, I got the latest patch, installed the tool, and whenever I try to start it it crashes before it can even start.

ioscream
16th Dec 2009, 10:25 PM
Careful patching. Some people are reporting broken CC, and Riverview. In other words, backup your files in case you have to do a fresh install.

crocobaura
16th Dec 2009, 10:27 PM
Finally!!!! *does happy dance* :)

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 10:27 PM
Mines crashes when I try to edit in game.

mordiana
16th Dec 2009, 10:28 PM
Hmm.. so I managed to change terrein height and add lots. Roads seem placable but I'm having a lot of problems with that tool. Seems there's quite a lot to think of when making a neighbourhood and a lot of things yet to discover of how they work; I'm hoping a manual will be up soon but so far its managable :)

Arisuka
16th Dec 2009, 10:28 PM
Well, to me it feels like something between Photoshop and SimCity :lol:

No panic, it seem quite complex at first, but really isn't.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/th_CAW4.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/?action=view&current=CAW4.jpg)
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/th_CAW3-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/?action=view&current=CAW3-1.jpg)
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/th_CAW2-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/?action=view&current=CAW2-1.jpg)
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/th_CAW1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx109/Arisuka_mts/?action=view&current=CAW1.jpg)

Gah, I'm so excited, finally I'm going to have my San Fransisco! :cool:

Ive
16th Dec 2009, 10:29 PM
Anyone having any problems with running the game, if not do you use CC and mods?

I cant even launch my game :/

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 10:33 PM
Anyone having any problems with running the game, if not do you use CC and mods?

I cant even launch my game :/

Yeah there is something wrong apparently Riverview dissapears and sims3.packages. Dont try reinstalling them, it doesnt help.

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 10:34 PM
How do you add a layer...I just read what someone said about right clicking something...what is it that I have to right click, and where??!

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh great... I've never used photoshop before, and kind of okay-ish with technical stuff, I usually figure it out... Will this be hard for me? X-|

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh great... I've never used photoshop before, and kind of okay-ish with technical stuff, I usually figure it out... Will this be hard for me? X-|

Dont worry about it, there should be a manual soon. I think most people will find it difficult to begin with.

Sassytasia22
16th Dec 2009, 10:39 PM

i feel the same i never used photoshop or any other program like it and i was just toying around with CAW and man it looks like i'm going to have a long hard time trying to make my own world lol

Rabid
16th Dec 2009, 10:42 PM
It won't let me open without downloading the new patch released yesterday, and despite the fact that I have my launcher set to update the game automatically, it never does. Where can I download the new patch? I can't find it on the website- I can only find the news article, not the download link to the patch itself.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 10:43 PM
Urgh... Backing up everything before I update- says it's going to take 48 minutes X-|

dogders
16th Dec 2009, 10:43 PM
too many freezeups for me so far, too much stress on official servers, also the patch mightve ruined my cc that I finally got setup after WA. I had to use PSP to do some commercial work this year and it took me quite awhile get used to it. So far Im getting the same feeling as I did when looking at the Dragon Age editor... that this might take more time than I can invest. Feels cumbersome, guess I was hoping for somethin simple like the old simcity one.

To find the tool if having problems, go to official site, click on the Free Stuff tab at the top, then click on the EULA at the bottom. I had to use the launcher for the patch.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 10:47 PM
Remember to remove your mods before you download the patch people

Rabid
16th Dec 2009, 10:49 PM
Remember to remove your mods before you download the patch people

Where is everyone downloading the patch? For the life of me, I cannot find it.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 10:53 PM
^ Oh no XD That's what I have XD Actually I have a 32 bit but thats very close.
I havent clicked to patch it yet so I don't know if I can see it or not

Petchy
16th Dec 2009, 10:54 PM
Ok, well I think it doesn't work with x64 bit Vista. Whenever I try to Create a map, It gives me a very fast view of its luxurious sea and then quits and dies on me! Argh! I tried using compatibility mode [XP service pack 2] and it just did the same thing.
Do not want!!

simka
16th Dec 2009, 10:55 PM
It's VERY complicated, at least at first glance, but just playing around with it, I seem to unterstand the different, enumerous features and how they work.
In terms of long time motivation, this tool seems very promising! :)

kaitlyn123454
16th Dec 2009, 10:56 PM
I click on the create a world tool and its just a blank thing except for the accept thing. I accept it hit enter and it says page couldn't be dissplayed. I am posting it here because I cant even acces the sims3 fourms anymore.

Purity4
16th Dec 2009, 10:56 PM
Well, after trying to download the patch 4 times... the download worked, installed, then the launcher crashed. It wouldn't restart. I finally got the launcher working again (pure chance, nothing that I did), but it says the downloader is broken, however it does say there are no new updates available, so I assume the patch did in fact download.

When I go to that link to download CAW, I see the terms of service (yes, I'm a logged in registered user on the sims 3 site), and I see the word download at the bottom of the checkbox, but it's not clickable. I cannot download it.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 10:57 PM
I can't access the forums either XP
That's why I'm posting here too, I'm way bigger poster at the forums

KeiraLou
16th Dec 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not gonna be using it. I put roads into my map, lots and tree's then tried to look at it in game. Now my game won't load up. This is with the latest patch installed, all a waste of time and it looks to me like they may have rushed this tool out :/

NclDanielle6
16th Dec 2009, 10:59 PM
I tried it and I just kept crashing my pc. Leaving that alone for the time being.

I keep getting the message that the program is not responding when I try to use Edit In Game.

javal
16th Dec 2009, 10:59 PM
Been a member for years, but I rarely post. Downloaded the newest patch and having some problems (says it can't access EA Download Manager). I'll figure that out, or they'll fix it.

My point in posting is this - could HP or anyone else who has the authority consider opening a separate sub-forum for the CAW tool? I've downloaded it but haven't installed it yet, but I can tell from what's already been posted that a place to start different threads (building roads, layers, elevation, etc.) would be most helpful. My feeling is that a good tutorial for the tool will be written first by one of the talented members here rather than EA. Just a thought - not trying to tell anyone how to admin their board. Thanks for the site!

dogders
16th Dec 2009, 11:00 PM
Yea I think the patch has borked me up, I made simple map with terrain but cant enter the game edit or the launcher even. I guess either overload traffic at main site or my cc is doin me in.

kaitlyn123454
16th Dec 2009, 11:01 PM
Can someone PLEASE help me and the other people having problems with this? :(

kaitlyn123454
16th Dec 2009, 11:03 PM
WAIT! I figured it out! Click the language thing english then usa not canada! It works YAY!

Ive
16th Dec 2009, 11:05 PM
This looks so cool :) Luckily i got a decent computer and it doesent lag ;o

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:06 PM
Patch is downloading good for me so far
I got it from the launcher.... Whoever was asking where it was

Claeric
16th Dec 2009, 11:07 PM
I'm not gonna be using it. I put roads into my map, lots and tree's then tried to look at it in game. Now my game won't load up. This is with the latest patch installed, all a waste of time and it looks to me like they may have rushed this tool out :/

It is and has always been a Beta tool. This means it is incomplete and may not function perfectly.

Ive
16th Dec 2009, 11:08 PM
Claeric, off-topic but OMG, your signature picture brings back some memories :lovestruc

Shoosh Malooka
16th Dec 2009, 11:10 PM
I hope it works with The Sims 3 unpatched! LeLand Gaunt wants to provide you with some of your Needful Things.

ioscream
16th Dec 2009, 11:13 PM
I hope it works with The Sims 3 unpatched! LeLand Gaunt wants to provide you with some of your Needful Things.

CAW requires you to fully patch your game.

KeiraLou
It is and has always been a Beta tool. This means it is incomplete and may not function perfectly.

Is that what Beta means :S I am very much a newbie in technical aspects lol.

NclDanielle6

If you just want to use it in your game than you need to File>Export instead of using the Edit in Game.

Also all the patches can be found here http://www.thesims3.com/game/patches .

mordiana
16th Dec 2009, 11:14 PM
Just found out 'edit in game' does nt work for me, it makes my game .. crash while attempting to load, as in, not load and act crashed. Lets see if normal opening of the game works and if not that'll be going through the CC again..

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:15 PM
YES! So far my launcher comes up after the update... everything is in order (I haven't put all my mods back in yet though)

tragedyanne420
16th Dec 2009, 11:18 PM
They have added a manual (http://www.thesims3.com/content/en_US/promo/gamepages/worldtool/help.pdf)

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:18 PM
^ Thank Goodness! XD

ioscream
16th Dec 2009, 11:19 PM
YES! So far my launcher comes up after the update... everything is in order (I haven't put all my mods back in yet though)

If you use AwesomeMod it will likely crash your game. Any Buy Mode CC will not appear unless it was from the store.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:21 PM
OH NO. I REFUSE to use mod mods after a 6 day fix with my computer after installing WA. Had to erase my saved. I mean package files

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:23 PM
yay! :D
It's workin!

Ive
16th Dec 2009, 11:25 PM
It has been reported on several sites that installing the patch prevents any Custom Content from showing up, unless it is directly downloaded (and paid for in the case of The Store) from EA. This includes both .package and .sims2pack files

Well that sucks. I got stuff i purcashed on my old account that I thought i had lost forever. So now all the stuff i bought on that account wont show. How ******* nice.

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:31 PM
Could someone explain this layering thing to me??? What are layers, how do you add them and what do they do?

mordiana
16th Dec 2009, 11:37 PM
Just to mention; I mentioned earlier the game acts as if it crashes if I try and do 'edit in game' with the CAW tool. My actual game seems to work fine: It hasn't crashed, its not much slower and all my CC showed up. Haven't tried saving, but this isn't what this topic is about at all, about CAW, and yay manual! Going to read it right now!

Save_the_whales
16th Dec 2009, 11:46 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at myself, I'm building some roads right now B-)

angel4rab
16th Dec 2009, 11:50 PM
After getting pretty far into making my own lil' world the damn thing crashes and closes.

MondayMorning
16th Dec 2009, 11:51 PM
I haven't read the manual yet, but I at least figured out how to do continuous roads:

Select GRADING ROAD TOOL>Select the radio button for CONTINUOUS ROADS>then select the road tool.

Works better than having to put down each piece. One at a time. Little by little. :-/

moeppl
16th Dec 2009, 11:53 PM
If I have to install the patch which doesn't let me use my downloaded custom content, then I won't install the World Creator or the newest patch, it's that easy.

Esmeralda
16th Dec 2009, 11:56 PM
The general opinion on various sites is to hold off installing either the patch or the CaW as there seems to be issues with them.

It has been reported on several sites that installing the patch prevents any Custom Content from showing up, unless it is directly downloaded (and paid for in the case of The Store) from EA. This includes both .package and .sims2pack files.

Early suggestions speculate that EA is attempting to prevent people using any CC other than what you can buy in the store!

Don't panic - I've just patched my game and downloaded CAW, and all my cc is there and shows up fine. Of all the cc I have, only Awesomemod was causing problems, as the game was crashing on startup - I removed it and everything else seems OK - custom clothes, hairs, accessories, furniture, etc. Hopefully the above was just a bit of scaremongering. What I don't like, however, is having a new 'Shop Mode' appear in Buy Mode. You get a pop-up asking if you want to learn about it now, later or never. I chose 'never' and hope it's not going to keep nagging me to use it.

They have added a manual (http://www.thesims3.com/content/en_US/promo/gamepages/worldtool/help.pdf)

Ah, thank you for that, now maybe I can figure out how to actually use the darn thing!

ioscream
16th Dec 2009, 11:57 PM
Don't panic - I've just patched my game and downloaded CAW, and all my cc is there and shows up fine. Of all the cc I have, only Awesomemod was causing problems, as the game was crashing on startup - I removed it and everything else seems OK - custom clothes, hairs, accessories, furniture, etc. Hopefully the above was just a bit of scaremongering. What I don't like, however, is having a new 'Shop Mode' appear in Buy Mode. You get a pop-up asking if you want to learn about it now, later or never. I chose 'never' and hope it's not going to keep nagging me to use it.

From what I'm able to gather the problems lies within .sim3pack files. Which is apparently ALL of my Buy Mode stuff. The rest of my CC is fine. Namely .package files.

Night Racer
16th Dec 2009, 11:57 PM
BAH! How do i delete road segmants? ive started over like 5 times now because i dont know how to delete roads >_<

Save_the_whales
17th Dec 2009, 12:00 AM
BAH! How do i delete road segmants? ive started over like 5 times now because i dont know how to delete roads >_<

LOL same here XD Whenever I push delete it deletes my perfect, straight, rounded section, not the crooked one I'm trying to dlete

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 12:04 AM
Hrm, well I just finished a tiny little island for testing, but the game crashes whenever it finishes loading all the content.

I'm guessing its most likely Awesomemod, which as far as I can tell, hasn't been updated since the new patch.

I hope thats the reason, at least...

angel4rab
17th Dec 2009, 12:07 AM

Select the move world object button and select the piece of road you wish to delete then hit delete on your keyboard

simka
17th Dec 2009, 12:07 AM
Hrm, well I just finished a tiny little island for testing, but the game crashes whenever it finishes loading all the content.

I'm guessing its most likely Awesomemod, which as far as I can tell, hasn't been updated since the new patch.

I have the same problem, but I have no mods installed, so the problem seems to be within the tool.

frillen
17th Dec 2009, 12:15 AM
Could someone explain this layering thing to me??? What are layers, how do you add them and what do they do?
Think of layers as transparent sheets you draw something on and put them on top of each other ;)
You can add new layers by right clicking on the world layer.
Layers are a way of organizing your world map making it easier to edit.

whoachica5
17th Dec 2009, 12:18 AM
Those who need the patch:

Have you tried starting your game? When my launcher opens, it tells me I have an update available.

MondayMorning
17th Dec 2009, 12:19 AM
Think of layers as transparent sheets you draw something on and put them on top of each other ;)

Like tracing paper, or those diagrams in medical books that show each layer of the human body, etc. ;)

ioscream
17th Dec 2009, 12:22 AM

It's been updated, and is working thus far.

dogders
17th Dec 2009, 12:26 AM

Thanks alot for this link!

mordiana
17th Dec 2009, 12:43 AM
For some reason I can't use the no-sims paint and no-camera paint, and I have quite a few very steep hills in my world, so I do need them. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or is it just my silly computer?

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 12:48 AM
Well... Not bad for a first try, I suppose.

I really like some of the effects that can be added, although rotating them can be an annoyance at times.

So far, the only real problem I have is that I can't figure out how to actually send the neighborhood to the game. Edit in Game is different. Maybe export?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Island.jpg

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 12:51 AM
Fadewolf that is amazing!!!

So far i made a crappy looking beach lol

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:06 AM
Ya How do you add layers??

Save_the_whales
17th Dec 2009, 1:07 AM
THAT IS INCREDIBLE? How do you make the lakes and stuff?

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 1:07 AM

I really like some of the effects that can be added, although rotating them can be an annoyance at times.

So far, the only real problem I have is that I can't figure out how to actually send the neighborhood to the game. Edit in Game is different. Maybe export?

Looks nice :D far better than what ive managed.

You have to export world, but remember to add description/image/name to the world layer (the first one) and it should be all fine.

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:09 AM
Again HOW do I add layers? THis is not in the guide.

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 1:11 AM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Island.jpg
Looking at that, it does seem really similar to the tools for Morrowind and such. Which is good, because I can manage those easily.

And I am LOVING the idea of specialized hoods like that, to be explored AND lived in. A fancy island and lots hidden in the middle, a river going through it, waterfalls...

staciew1
17th Dec 2009, 1:12 AM
Ok this may seem stupid to ask, especially sense it's so early and even the genuises in the community haven't had the time to tinker....but how do you add water, I'm reading the manuel and I have yet to find a section that addresses that...

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:12 AM
Can someone please help me instead of ignoring my posts??

lostinshalott
17th Dec 2009, 1:13 AM
Can someone please help me instead of ignoring my posts??
No ones ignoring you they may just not know the answer have you checked the manual?

any way well the ea site is down for me alas alas guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow before I can get creating.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 1:14 AM
I gave up on making my own hood so i'm just gunna edit sunset valley. I always liked that area anyway.

I cant wait to add more roads

GoldenSimmer
17th Dec 2009, 1:16 AM
Yes I have checked the manual. It says nothing in it about adding layers. I wasn't trying to be rude I just wont a awnser please.

I believe you right click World Layers or somewhere in that area, and select "New Layer"

kaitlyn123454
Yes I have checked the manual. It says nothing in it about adding layers. I wasn't trying to be rude I just wont a awnser please.

Ive
Ok this may seem stupid to ask, especially sense it's so early and even the genuises in the community haven't had the time to tinker....but how do you add water, I'm reading the manuel and I have yet to find a section that addresses that...

You can use the terrain sculpting tool.

Go to the Terrain pane - Terrain Painting Tools (first icon) - then on right hand side there is 4 tabs, one of them says sculpting and then you can chose what sort of sculpting tool you need :)

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:19 AM
Thankyou so much!

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 1:27 AM
I cant really understand how to resize bridges and connect them with roads.... :/

staciew1
17th Dec 2009, 1:28 AM
You can use the terrain sculpting tool.

Go to the Terrain pane - Terrain Painting Tools (first icon) - then on right hand side there is 4 tabs, one of them says sculpting and then you can chose what sort of sculpting tool you need :)

lmao, thank you so much!!!

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:34 AM
Im telling you EA if my launchers messed up I will never buy anything from you again. Is my launcher screwed? It wont show the play button it says its not responding so I say end program it wont go away. Please help me I would really like to play my game.

GoldenSimmer
17th Dec 2009, 1:35 AM
I cant really understand how to resize bridges and connect them with roads.... :/

Well, uhm, there is a little red horizontal line and what you do is drag it over the river or body of water. I don't know if it changes the size though. Most of this thing is still a mystery.

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 1:37 AM
Im telling you EA if my launchers messed up I will never buy anything from you again. Is my launcher screwed? It wont show the play button it says its not responding so I say end program it wont go away. Please help me I would really like to play my game.

Afraid thats how alot of people have it like that at the moment.

Mine was the same until about the 10th try, then it worked all of a sudden. Miracle. :rolleyes:

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:38 AM
How lovely. Thanks ea thanks alot your patch once again messes up the game.

Now Im going to waste my whole night getting it to work.

kaitlyn123454
Oh yes how do I close the program first of all?

Night Racer
i cant understand how to add bridges... AT ALL! anyone wanna answer? :P

Also: when you go into Edit Town mode; how long dose it take to load? Mines going at 5 minutes now and its not even very detailed... :|

watdocdude
17th Dec 2009, 1:40 AM
So the tool seems really laggy for me. I mean, if I can run the actual game I should be able to run this real smooth right?

Any way to possibly reduce the lag?

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:40 AM
I know it is quite laggy. I noticed that Im horrible at creating a neiborhood as i'v already figured out now I just wish to play but apparently thats not possible at the moment.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 1:42 AM
Ugh adding roads is a pain.

Why is it when i try to make a new road, the one i used before continues? >.<

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:43 AM
TO get rid of the road you have already started hit escape

kaitlyn123454
17th Dec 2009, 1:46 AM
I'm actually thinking about going back to sims 2 or *gasp* maybe even sims one. Know what thats what I'm going to do untill Ea releases ANOTHER patch to fix the other patch that they messed up.

mordiana
17th Dec 2009, 1:48 AM
For some reason I can't 'paint' the areas that sims or the camera can't go, any trick to that that I don't know that other people do? Also, about lot size; for rabbit holes do you nd a certain size?

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 1:49 AM
i cant understand how to add bridges... AT ALL! anyone wanna answer? :P

Also: when you go into Edit Town mode; how long dose it take to load? Mines going at 5 minutes now and its not even very detailed... :|

The only bridges in the tool are the ones that came with WA (if you have WA). To get a bridge like in Riverview, you have to have a road go through the water where you want the bridge (it will go underwater, don't worry). Then go to the Grading Road Tool (next to the Road Placement and Editing Tool). Then I'm pretty sure you go to Limit Road Grade, and click on the road you want to go over the water. It will make the road go over the water, but bring the land up with it (that is why you can't see under the bridges in Riverview, they aren't really a bridge).

Night Racer
17th Dec 2009, 1:52 AM
It will make the road go over the water, but bring the land up with it (that is why you can't see under the bridges in Riverview, they aren't really a bridge).

OK...so then where can i find the DECO bridge sides then? so i need to have Riverveiw installed?

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 1:52 AM
Wow....
I just realized how MUCH TS3 sucks....
I waited since the release for this tool and i im working over two hours to remake PleasantView.....Im telling you one thing... Lot Placing SUCKS hard....
I dont know about you but im thinking to move back to TS2... :/

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 1:54 AM
OK...so then where can i find the DECO bridge sides then? so i need to have Riverveiw installed?
No you dont need RiverView...
At MetaData Board under Game Objects there are 7 bringes to choose from....and they all suck...

Night Racer
17th Dec 2009, 1:54 AM
How dose lot placing suck? wtf? i think its awsome...
place a lot anywhere at any angle... any demension you want... fantastic.

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 1:56 AM

I guess you just need the texture. Isnt it like stone-ish looking?

Elias943
Its just my opinion....
Maybe its cool for you but for me it sucks.. :)
I prefer TS2 way.... :(

Claeric
Lots can indeed go anywhere? Badass. I still wonder how sims off the mainland will get to the mainland if there's no bridge. They probably teleport. I hope.

Unfortunately my computer can't run it at all. :( I really wanted to get started on the Sims 1 neighborhood+ Old Town.

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 1:57 AM

You mean like on the Riverview "bridges?" I don't think they are an object, I think they are a terrain paint, and I don't see it in the tool at all. If you load the Riverview template, you also see that they don't have the nice brick sides anymore, they have the rock terrain paint. So I think it was a custom texture EA made, and it is either hidden in the files for the tool somewhere, or they didn't bother adding it.

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 1:58 AM
Yea it kinda sucks there's no bridges in it. But i guess it will come at some point.

I wish there was some object ferry dock thing. Looks odd with an island and nowhere to get off it!

I really like the lot placing tool. Finally i can add lots straight next to eachother (with the exception of half a tile) so i dont get those stupid spaces :rolleyes:

crocobaura
17th Dec 2009, 2:04 AM
There is at least the bridge that you can see in France destination. I just spent like 1 hour adding bridges instead of the terrain paint in Riverview and the damn thing crashed before I could save.

watdocdude
17th Dec 2009, 2:07 AM
Is there a way to edit riverview/sunset valley then?

crocobaura
17th Dec 2009, 2:10 AM
There's an option to import the templates for Riverview and Sunset Valley, but there are no decorations on them except for the roads and terrain paints. Maybe it's possible to import the whole neighbourhood but haven't tried that yet.

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 2:11 AM
You can edit templates of them watdocdude, which only has the terrain paints, and roads/sidewalks, nothing else.

watdocdude
17th Dec 2009, 2:12 AM
Oh. Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to add more lots to my main neighborhood.

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 2:14 AM
No there isn't crocobaura. Once a world has been exported from the tool it can't be edited again. They did that to prevent people from downloading worlds, change a few things, and re upload them as their own. I know where the world files for the 3 destinations are in the WA folder, tried to edit them also, you can't. So unless EA gives us the templates for them, we can't edit them at all.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 2:15 AM
So i think i overwrote the sunset valley template. I clicked "save" instead of "save as". Does that mean i dont have the old sunset valley template anymore??

another thing: Anyone else REALLY annoyed with the camera? I feel like i could do so much more if it were like the one in the game

ashkelly87
17th Dec 2009, 2:18 AM
The biggest problem I'm having so far is...

I don't know how to add my little world I've created to my game.
I tried File>Select World to Export>MY WORLD>Open
and then it shows this:

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/simstoolacademy/ERROR.jpg

Then I try right-clicking this:

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/simstoolacademy/ERROR2.jpg

And I do the 'Add/Edit Description' and everything seems to be fine...

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/simstoolacademy/ERROR3.jpg

Then it just shows this again:

So I really don't know what I'm doing wrong?

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 2:25 AM
ashkelly, I don't know what is causing that, but it could be the export option doesn't work, like the Edit In Game doesn't.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 2:26 AM
Okay, well I exported it, but it only added it to the uploads, and it still isn't in my game.

How do I... You know... Actually put it in my game? Anyone know?

watdocdude
17th Dec 2009, 2:26 AM
I'm giving up. It's too laggy for me to be any fun.

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 2:27 AM

and then it shows this:

Have you tried writing something else at description and name fields instead of test? :)

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 2:30 AM
I have tried to put it into my game, all i get is that its already installed. Meh. I know alot of other people had this problem with riverview, so anyone know a solution?

tizerist
17th Dec 2009, 2:34 AM
I just tried it! :)
I was so useless - I couldn't get past the 'add layer before doing that' notice.
But...its here!
I'll just concentrate on World Adventures for now, but the thought of an inner-city hood community project, or a moon base hood, would be awesome :)

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 2:34 AM
I have tried to put it into my game, all i get is that its already installed. Meh. I know alot of other people had this problem with riverview, so anyone know a solution?
When i first installed the tool i edited quickly SunSet Valley template and then exported the files...
Then i moved them at C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds and the game loaded it just fine :)

yeabil
17th Dec 2009, 2:37 AM

and then it shows this:

Make sure you save the game after you do that.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 2:39 AM
When i first installed the tool i edited quickly SunSet Valley template and then exported the files...
Then i moved them at C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds and the game loaded it just fine :)

Well, it comes up with an error for me when I do that.

It will show the thumbnail in-game, but when try to start a game with it it comes of with an error, and tells me to restart the game.

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 2:41 AM

I LOVE YOU. Been stressing with this for the past hour. Was thinking i had to re do it all :blink:

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 2:44 AM
So i think i overwrote the sunset valley template. I clicked "save" instead of "save as". Does that mean i dont have the old sunset valley template anymore??

another thing: Anyone else REALLY annoyed with the camera? I feel like i could do so much more if it were like the one in the game

riruchan
17th Dec 2009, 2:44 AM
is anyone else having trouble placing roads? I'm trying to create a loop, but the road won't connect back to itself...

edit: And yes, the camera is annoying. It moves too slow, and I would appreciate a top-down view...

Elias943
17th Dec 2009, 2:50 AM
I LOVE YOU. Been stressing with this for the past hour. Was thinking i had to re do it all :blink:
Im happy that it worked for you too :)

wyiet
17th Dec 2009, 2:50 AM
Playing with all this world tool really makes me appreciate how much work and detail they had put into Riverview and the main town. I tried to make a little island and it turned out as horrible as possible. :P

Oh well, at least it means we only have to wait a week to a month before some awesome neighborhoods start popping up!

ashkelly87
17th Dec 2009, 3:21 AM
Make sure you save the game after you do that.

Well I feel dumb now but now it is saying that it's exported... because I forgot to save after adding the description.

Now I just have to figure out how to make it show up in my game after it's exported...

which seems strange that it's still not showing up.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 3:26 AM
Got it to work, I guess it must have installed it wrong the first time.

Once I set up a small village... Ooooh, this is going to be fun.

Although having fridges in everyone's huts is going to be weird... But I fear they'll starve to death if they don't.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Screenshot-155.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Screenshot-151.jpg

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 3:30 AM
Got it to work, I guess it must have installed it wrong the first time.

Once I set up a small village... Ooooh, this is going to be fun.

Although having fridges in everyone's huts is going to be weird... But I fear they'll starve to death if they don't.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Screenshot-155.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/FadeWolf/Screenshot-151.jpg

I'm glad SOMEONE managed to catch onto it.

I assume you didn't put no-sim paint and therefore your sim can climb wayyyy up there?

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 3:36 AM
I'm glad SOMEONE managed to catch onto it.

I assume you didn't put no-sim paint and therefore your sim can climb wayyyy up there?

Well of course. I had to let them get up there somehow, so many chances for awesome pictures. :P

simka
17th Dec 2009, 3:45 AM
wow, your island looks gorgeous!

ashkelly87
17th Dec 2009, 3:55 AM
Looks great, FadeWolf.

I finally got my world onto my game, but the way I did it was by uploading my world to the exchange and then downloading/installing from the site.

I know that's not how it should be, but that's the only way I can figure out right now.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 4:12 AM
Looks great, FadeWolf.

I finally got my world onto my game, but the way I did it was by uploading my world to the exchange and then downloading/installing from the site.

I know that's not how it should be, but that's the only way I can figure out right now.

Next time, just go to Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Exports and double click the world. It'll start installing.

Garek Maxwell
17th Dec 2009, 4:14 AM

(This probably shows how little I actually play the game and how much time I spend building in the game, but...)

Don't sims with farms eat just fine? I mean, I never noticed if neighbors actually farm food themselves from public lots... But if they do, couldn't they just live off that?

Mjolnir68
17th Dec 2009, 4:16 AM
There is a brief tutorial here: http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/help_en.pdf

It's not too detailed, but it may answer a question or two.

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 4:20 AM
(This probably shows how little I actually play the game and how much time I spend building in the game, but...)

Don't sims with farms eat just fine? I mean, I never noticed if neighbors actually farm food themselves from public lots... But if they do, couldn't they just live off that?

From what I recall even an apple fills your hunger, so yeah, simple gardening and natural trees are enough food-wise. Though with story progression, sims wont move into homes without a fridge.

The invisible rabbit holes are gonna make these kinds of things really awesome, I can tell. No brick-and-mortar school on the tropical island, a custom building with an invisible rabbit hole in it!

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 4:21 AM

Assuming they actually harvest food... Then I would guess that they'd eat it. Sims use the Shower Can and eat Dried Food when they are hungry, so I don't see why not...

I don't know though.

Night Racer
17th Dec 2009, 5:18 AM
FadeWolf thats AWSOME! Your so creative!
The only other downside im having is lots for rabbitholes... i dont know the exact size of the rabbit holes...so im afraid if i pick a spot for my hospital...then the lot is to small...well.. :S

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 5:26 AM
I'm having the same problem. I'm making a tiny town, and I've made a lot for City Hall, but I'm not sure if its big enough or not, and since I can't access Edit in Game, I'm sorta waiting to do anything more.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 5:36 AM
oi i give up

If i cant make proper lots for rabbitholes then im just gunna wait for people to put awesome hoods up for download

Also my roads looked really wierd.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 5:38 AM
Well, its decided.

I'm going to make an medieval landscape thing, complete with some snowy mountains and stuff. Elves, goblins, and humans, oh my.

Its going to be fairly big, lots of exploration and stuff I suppose.

EDIT:

Also, maybe I'm just thick, but are roads... Supposed to be this infuriatingly difficult to place and manage? GRAH.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 6:22 AM
ugh tell me about it lol

most of my roads weren't even connected

Sookielee
17th Dec 2009, 6:50 AM
With the EA site down for maintenance, does any one know where I can get the tutorial and walkthrough? I am downloading CAW now and I can't get the guides from EA.

jairyn
17th Dec 2009, 7:05 AM
I don't know how many of you use Google earth, but I discovered a nifty feature for those of you interested in basing worlds on real life places.

In Google earth I took a screenshot using print screen of part of Santorini, then in a paint program I pasted it and resized the picture to a square 2048x2048 of the landscape I was interested in.
Then I opened CAW tool and picked the png file of the picture in the new world menu. Once it loaded it came up already with height and similar geography. Of course you still have to fine tune it, add water, etc. But I thought that was pretty neat that you could pretty much get a very close copy of an original town.

Here's some of what I was talking about:

google earth screenshot, resized
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1838/oiagreecenoboats.png

my world version, edited a little
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3366/cawoia.png

if nothing else, it saves you some time having to stop and get all the terrain height right.

Hope it helps someone :)

SuicidiaParasidia
17th Dec 2009, 7:07 AM
I'm having the same problem. I'm making a tiny town, and I've made a lot for City Hall, but I'm not sure if its big enough or not, and since I can't access Edit in Game, I'm sorta waiting to do anything more.

i can has access.

*no, really, i can access edit in game.*

but then i did a clean reinstall because i was having problems with the patches. havnt added my CC yet.

cupcake12winx
17th Dec 2009, 7:08 AM
Since the EA site is down, does anyone know where you can actually GET the program? Or when the site will be back up? I haven't been able to use the internet for hours, so now I get on and it doesn't work. Go figure.

chann
17th Dec 2009, 7:13 AM
Since the EA site is down, does anyone know where you can actually GET the program? Or when the site will be back up? I haven't been able to use the internet for hours, so now I get on and it doesn't work. Go figure.

The direct link is still up for me: http://llnw.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/worldtool.exe

cupcake12winx
17th Dec 2009, 7:13 AM
Oh. That works. Thank you. :)

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 7:14 AM
Thats what I'm doing. I'm right now going through and downloading every patch on my parents computer to install, then I will try. The problem was when I clicked it and saved the world, it said that my current install of The Sims 3 is incompatible with the expansion (meaning the tool since they are calling it an expansion), I think it may have to do with I didn't patch the base game (would let me either when I tired, got the invalid file thing) when I patched WA.

Srikandi
17th Dec 2009, 7:33 AM
And here's the link for the manual, such as it is: http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/help_en.pdf

And the walkthrough: http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/CaW_WalkThrough.pdf

Sookielee
17th Dec 2009, 7:34 AM
Just to let everyone know the official sims 3 site is back on-line

guardianpegasus
17th Dec 2009, 8:09 AM
We need a neighborhood category in the download section for Sims 3 now :)

JCity
17th Dec 2009, 8:32 AM
Well this is annoying.
When I have the cursor inside the rendering window and editing it lags but when I have the cursor outside it, it runs smoother. I wonder why because I got a high end computer that can run The Sims 3 with 100+ fps...

cupcake12winx
17th Dec 2009, 8:52 AM
The camera is really getting on my nerves. I wonder why they didn't make it a bit more like the in-game one. It would make this whole thing so much easier.

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 8:56 AM
The in game camera does not let you have NEARLY the point of view that the camera gives you. It is an editing camera, for 3 dmensions.

Screedle
17th Dec 2009, 9:18 AM
Yay, its downloading! *dances* gotta catch up

EDIT: damnit it needs a patch

baileywll
17th Dec 2009, 10:46 AM
thanks for the links to the manuals.

On the Edit in Game thing, I think that it is just to allow access to build and buy mode stuff you have in the game when making your new world, it doesn't mean you are in the game. I know there are a lot of posts on this not working on lots of sites including the EAUK one.

gobot101
17th Dec 2009, 10:52 AM
Edit in Game actually turns on the game and immediately loads up the world you are working on so you can go into build and buy mode on the lots you have placed in your world.

And for the people who are able to use Edit in Game, do you have any sound? I don't have sound in there at all, not on the loading screens, Edit Town, or build/buy mode.

J. M. Pescado
17th Dec 2009, 11:39 AM
Lots can indeed go anywhere? Badass. I still wonder how sims off the mainland will get to the mainland if there's no bridge. They probably teleport. I hope.The short answer is simply that THEY DON'T, unless you install a means of teleporting. Useful if you want to make a prison island, I suppose.

moeppl
17th Dec 2009, 11:53 AM
Is it safe to download the patch now? I don't want to miss my custom content.:(

whoachica5
17th Dec 2009, 1:55 PM
Edit in Game actually turns on the game and immediately loads up the world you are working on so you can go into build and buy mode on the lots you have placed in your world.

And for the people who are able to use Edit in Game, do you have any sound? I don't have sound in there at all, not on the loading screens, Edit Town, or build/buy mode.
I wouldn't say it loads "immediately," more like it takes eons to load!

I don't have sound either.

interpolarity
17th Dec 2009, 2:02 PM
Argh... I thought I could run the program by using virtualization software but because I don't have Sims 3 installed on that partition, it won't let me... CURSE YOU EA!!!

Mac users once again get the short end of the stick :(

MapDark
17th Dec 2009, 2:53 PM
I wouldn't say it loads "immediately," more like it takes eons to load!

I don't have sound either.

Well I don,t see why there WOULD be sound. I mean , it's the editing mode and not the gameplay mode.

So they cut off all the unnecessary stuff.

I don't care much for sound if all I'm doing is preparing lots .

That said , the world loading IS long :(

But I found the world editing in the CAW to be MUCH easier than I thought it could be.

Inge Jones
17th Dec 2009, 3:36 PM
I have no idea how to use my new hood in my game. I exported it successfully, but where is it and how do I use it?

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 3:42 PM
I have no idea how to use my new hood in my game. I exported it successfully, but where is it and how do I use it?

Its in the exported folder in the My docs/EA folder. And then its just installed from there on like everything else :)

lightingft
17th Dec 2009, 3:57 PM
Awesome! CAW is here!

Inge Jones
17th Dec 2009, 3:57 PM
Aha! Got it, thanks

mordiana
17th Dec 2009, 4:30 PM
How much do lot sizes matter for rabbit holes, and if you make a self made building; will they work? So far CAW it self is fairly easy and great to use; I assume I figured everything out so all thats left is making one I actually really like and use it in game; and.. ofcourse upload it to the internet if its any good :)

clynnc19
17th Dec 2009, 4:53 PM
The world builder was released? Lol I didn't even know. After reading this thread it looks like it takes a little while to get use to it. Oh well, I'm game.

pandacharm
17th Dec 2009, 5:37 PM
@ Mangaroo using a FRIENDS cdkey is not PIRACY. I OWN this game, I paid extra money for the collectors edition.

I'm not out downloading keygens and crap. So I don't know how me owning a legal copy of the game is 'piracy' when those assholes disabled my key for no reason.

/edit also me mentioning that doesn't mean you have to delete my whole post, I had other stuff in there that I wanted to contribute too, basically I'm not the only one getting screwed over with their patch, and people should definately hold off on this thing for a while.

MondayMorning
17th Dec 2009, 5:38 PM
So far so good. I'm making a faux Phoenix, as I've planned, and as of right now I'm just concentrating on one corner of the map. I am definately liking the fact that we can put lots close together, but I'm not too sure that my porportions are going to be adequate for the actual game. As in, are they going to be too small, too large?

Also, under the option to make a lot a residential lot, there are options to make the lot simply a residential, townie, or ownable lot. I'm assuming residential would be the lot you build on and move your sims into, and townie would be a lot that you build and the game moves sims into, but ownable? Does this go with being able to own vacation homes as in WA?

Lockheart
17th Dec 2009, 5:41 PM
Also, under the option to make a lot a residential lot, there are options to make the lot simply a residential, townie, or ownable lot. I'm assuming residential would be the lot you build on and move your sims into, and townie would be a lot that you build and the game moves sims into, but ownable? Does this go with being able to own vacation homes as in WA?

Yes, Ownable lots means you can own these lots just like BV or WA. Townie means only townie sims can live there(i.e. the non-ownable lots in Egypt, France, China) and Residential is as you would expect...

As an added note, tombs, hidden tombs and the like are all highly possible as well. everything you see in both the vacation areas and the homeborhood are available to be placed into your world/neighborhood.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 5:58 PM
I head music when I loaded up my town in Edit in Game.

I heard a lot of new music, specifically, that I don't believe I've heard before.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 6:01 PM
So far so good. I'm making a faux Phoenix, as I've planned, and as of right now I'm just concentrating on one corner of the map. I am definately liking the fact that we can put lots close together, but I'm not too sure that my porportions are going to be adequate for the actual game. As in, are they going to be too small, too large?

Click on the lot after placing it (with the select tool on the upper left), and under the items list on the mid left you'll see statistics for the lot.

This is how I figured out my island's lots were RIDICULOUSLY tiny, which I'm actually still okay with, as they weren't going to have much on them to begin with, except for some huts and such.

Dafoe2029
17th Dec 2009, 6:11 PM
I may go back to playing Sims 3 now that this is out,.

himawara106
17th Dec 2009, 6:34 PM
Does it also last a very long time for you until you click "edit town in game"? For me the loading time is approximately half an hour.

MapDark
17th Dec 2009, 6:43 PM
i'm currently making a faux-midtown-NYC . It's so cool to FINALLY be able to have a BIG Central park. . And I tried to make Columbus circle , but it's more like Columbus Square XD

Now if ONLY we could build OVER 5 levels.

clynnc19
17th Dec 2009, 6:45 PM
I haven't tried it yet, I'm still trying to patch my game. Darn you EA Download Manager!

MondayMorning
17th Dec 2009, 6:50 PM
Click on the lot after placing it (with the select tool on the upper left), and under the items list on the mid left you'll see statistics for the lot.

This is how I figured out my island's lots were RIDICULOUSLY tiny, which I'm actually still okay with, as they weren't going to have much on them to begin with, except for some huts and such.

So then a lot that has Size X 26 by Size Z 21 would then be considered somewhat small? A medium lot size is what? 30x40?

MapDark
17th Dec 2009, 6:57 PM
So then a lot that has Size X 26 by Size Z 21 would then be considered somewhat small? A medium lot size is what? 30x40?

yup , the maximum size for a lot is 64X64 . Which is about the size of "central park" in Sunset Valley.

I wish we could make bigger lots though.

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 7:02 PM
Yes, Ownable lots means you can own these lots just like BV or WA. Townie means only townie sims can live there(i.e. the non-ownable lots in Egypt, France, China) and Residential is as you would expect...

As an added note, tombs, hidden tombs and the like are all highly possible as well. everything you see in both the vacation areas and the homeborhood are available to be placed into your world/neighborhood.

Does Ownable mean your sim can live in one house and buy the lot next to it, and have their house span two lots? Not span directly, but they'd have two lots worth of building/living area.

andru
17th Dec 2009, 7:03 PM
Does it also last a very long time for you until you click "edit town in game"? For me the loading time is approximately half an hour.

When you click "edit town in game" it takes a long time to load? I think that might be because of the rendering process. I read somewhere - probably the IGN review - it'd take up to 30 minutes and depends on how powerful your machine is.

Karasu20
17th Dec 2009, 7:13 PM
Anyone know how to make a lake?

Im editing sunset valley a little bit and the waterfall isnt there anymore

MondayMorning
17th Dec 2009, 7:19 PM
Anyone know how to make a lake?

Im editing sunset valley a little bit and the waterfall isnt there anymore

I think if you use the gentle valley option under the terrain formating that should lower the terrain enough to create a lake. I recommend fiddling with the size of the brush, etc., to get your desired effect.

Claeric
17th Dec 2009, 7:27 PM
I think if you use the gentle valley option under the terrain formating that should lower the terrain enough to create a lake. I recommend fiddling with the size of the brush, etc., to get your desired effect.

There has to be a water tool, as Sunset Valley proves water does not have to be at the same height. The waterfall is significantly above sea level.

MondayMorning
17th Dec 2009, 7:40 PM
If there is, I've not seen it.

These are the only modifiers that I show listed:

Flatten-Gentle
Flatten Terrain
Hill-Gentle
Hill-Steep
Mountain
Sheer Cliff
Smooth
Smooth-Gentle
Valley-Gentle
Valley-Steep

The valley tool is the only thing I can think of to create water. As for the height above sea level, you can adjust the sea level under the Adjust Sea Level tool. (I'm not going to try it just yet as my neighborhood is supposed to be Phoenix, and I don't want to mess up what little I've done. :P )

HystericalParoxysm
17th Dec 2009, 7:49 PM
We now have a Create a World creation forum!

-> -> Here's a link! Clicky! (http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=616)<- <-

If you have any specific tips, questions, or discussion on the use of Create a World, please create a new thread about your topic in this shiny new forum. That is, anything really createy-related.

All the "whee I'm so excited to try it out!" type stuff is fine to stay in the discussion area but if you're stuck using/installing/dealing with errors/whatever, head over there.

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 7:56 PM
There has to be a water tool, as Sunset Valley proves water does not have to be at the same height. The waterfall is significantly above sea level.

The waterfall is just an effect, the water on the lot was applied in-game.

So, use the in-game tool to create the water, and then add the effect afterwards.

Night Racer
17th Dec 2009, 7:56 PM
Dose anyone know how to use custom made road/sidewalks? I made new dirt texture roads, and there listed under Base Game Roads, but i have no idea how to use them. :? if i click on it then hit place sidewalk, i get the default cement sidewalk...
EDIT: So many questions :| . How do i set camera parameters? I found it by accident last night and now i cant find it on purpose :blink:

FadeWolf
17th Dec 2009, 8:12 PM
Dose anyone know how to use custom made road/sidewalks? I made new dirt texture roads, and there listed under Base Game Roads, but i have no idea how to use them. :? if i click on it then hit place sidewalk, i get the default cement sidewalk...

Right-click the name of the set you created in the lower right popup and choose "make active" or something similar.

jacinthepirate
17th Dec 2009, 8:20 PM
It's PC only. Lame. Why does EA insist on ignoring Mac users?

Simar0o
17th Dec 2009, 9:38 PM
Where is everyone downloading the patch? For the life of me, I cannot find it.

It works with 64 bit windows 7 and Vista 64 bit. I have it running on both. It just takes along time in edit in game mode.

Purity4
17th Dec 2009, 9:49 PM
I don't know how many of you use Google earth, but I discovered a nifty feature for those of you interested in basing worlds on real life places.

In Google earth I took a screenshot using print screen of part of Santorini, then in a paint program I pasted it and resized the picture to a square 2048x2048 of the landscape I was interested in.
Then I opened CAW tool and picked the png file of the picture in the new world menu. Once it loaded it came up already with height and similar geography. Of course you still have to fine tune it, add water, etc. But I thought that was pretty neat that you could pretty much get a very close copy of an original town.

if nothing else, it saves you some time having to stop and get all the terrain height right.

Wow, that's awesome. I have never used the paint program and don't know anything about it including resizing, but yeah, that's awesome.

peasantsarahanne
17th Dec 2009, 9:53 PM
Does anyone know how to install a world to your game? I have a world finished but the sims pack won't install. It loads the launcher and then does nothing. I tried uploading it to the exchange and downloading it and that worked, but didn't upload the full neighbourhood. Now when I try to upload the full one it says the neighbourhood already exists on the exchange even though I deleted it last night. Does *anyone* know how to get my neighborhood in my game? :(

Ive
17th Dec 2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know how to install a world to your game? I have a world finished but the sims pack won't install. It loads the launcher and then does nothing. I tried uploading it to the exchange and downloading it and that worked, but didn't upload the full neighbourhood. Now when I try to upload the full one it says the neighbourhood already exists on the exchange even though I deleted it last night. Does *anyone* know how to get my neighborhood in my game? :(

Have you gone into the 'Installed Content' tab and uninstalled it there?
Cant just remove it from the downloads tab.

peasantsarahanne
17th Dec 2009, 10:43 PM
I'll try that! Thankyou!

Simar0o
17th Dec 2009, 10:45 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this but it gives some useful tips. A must read especially for those trying to install it into game.

http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/CaW_WalkThrough.pdf

peasantsarahanne
17th Dec 2009, 10:47 PM
Have you gone into the 'Installed Content' tab and uninstalled it there?
Cant just remove it from the downloads tab.

I tried and it still won't install.

Augustsim
18th Dec 2009, 1:03 AM

Wow, it takes mine about 8 minutes and that's a medium sized map with full objects.

Augustsim
18th Dec 2009, 1:06 AM

For a crystal clear beautiful lake like the ones in WA make a valley then fill in with "River long or short" under the objects-environment area :)

ninotchka
18th Dec 2009, 3:09 AM

Jairyn,
That's totally awesome! Thanks for the tip :) :beer:

Nik24X7
18th Dec 2009, 6:53 PM
It says somewhere in the User Guide that you should Snap Objects To Grid before placing lots. It makes it much easier. FYI.

Nik24X7
18th Dec 2009, 7:02 PM

Thank you for the idea! :rofl:

Srikandi
19th Dec 2009, 12:13 AM
Does Ownable mean your sim can live in one house and buy the lot next to it, and have their house span two lots? Not span directly, but they'd have two lots worth of building/living area.

No. It just means sims can buy it in-game, but in base hoods they can still only own one lot at once. With WA, residential lots are divided into buyable and not buyable ones -- not quite sure what the reason for this was, especially since you can change lot status in edit town mode.

Sheldrake
19th Dec 2009, 12:26 AM
Perfect timing! I finished my last day of school earlier today. 2 weeks of figuring this tool out ftw!

Claeric
19th Dec 2009, 12:30 AM
No. It just means sims can buy it in-game, but in base hoods they can still only own one lot at once. With WA, residential lots are divided into buyable and not buyable ones -- not quite sure what the reason for this was, especially since you can change lot status in edit town mode.

Aw, that's stupid. They should be able to buy "Vacation Homes" at home.

Night Racer
19th Dec 2009, 12:35 AM
Well, this is what i have so far. Its a re-creation of Qbaliki's White Water neighborhood from the sims 2. It was my fav neighborhood to play with.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/fergiefan12/JacksonHeights.jpg

I cant get Edit in Game to work so i might just have to put it in the Worlds folder and build lots that way.

Claeric
19th Dec 2009, 12:40 AM
Well, this is what i have so far. Its a re-creation of Qbaliki's White Water neighborhood from the sims 2. It was my fav neighborhood to play with.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/fergiefan12/JacksonHeights.jpg

The only thing left to do is set camera and sim bounderies and i dont know how to do that :l
I also cat get Edit in Game to work so i might just have to put it in the Worlds folder and build lots that way.

That's so perfect! It has lots of exploration, lots of lot space...

Man, I wish so bad my computer could run it. I want to build The Sims 1 neighborhood before anyone else steals it ;-;

moryrie
19th Dec 2009, 1:41 AM
{snip}
I cant get Edit in Game to work so i might just have to put it in the Worlds folder and build lots that way.

It looks awesome. What size world are you using?

*has destroyed everything she's tried to make because she simply fails at town building*

Night Racer
19th Dec 2009, 2:07 AM
um... Medium i think? Hell if i remember...
Now my only problem is while loading it for the first time... it pauses at 25% then my game closes. -.-
I had to take my CC out and delete my caches because my game whouldnt even start up before. And now it crashes. BBaahh.
And ya, i deleted about 7 town before this XD i got frustrated and decided to try to re-make my favorite sims 2 hoods. And i realize that re-creating the sims 1 Hood with old town will be so easy now...but im not gonna try it o.o

Now im wondering why my hood makes my game crash... i added everything i should have....

Simsguy521
19th Dec 2009, 7:13 AM
EA this is the last straw! I'm running this on a samsung laptop and I can't zoom out, let alone build anything realish! :help: :cry:

Fadewolf, would you mind uploading that island cos I LOVE it!

lewjen
19th Dec 2009, 3:04 PM
Great, I can't patch my game, so I can't use this! Why... why... does the game have to be patched!?

Simsguy521
19th Dec 2009, 3:11 PM
Great, now i've figured out how to do it CAW has a fit when I save a world with ANY lots on it!

happyjme
19th Dec 2009, 8:46 PM
I hope someone will at some point post a CAW for dummies!! I downloaded it, clicked on a few things for about a half hour and decided it's to complicated for me.
I've never played with a game or program that required so much editing. I dont even use photoshop cause it drives me crazy.

tomclinton
19th Dec 2009, 9:51 PM

This is beautiful Night Racer! I can't wait to download that one...that is if you are putting it up for download somewhere; I just want a simple Suburban kind of neighbourhood - nothing fancy...that is perfect. Does anyone know where I can download some simple neighbourhoods like this other than the exchange?

Anyway, this is what I've done so far, I've completely butchered Riverview...
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5724/fffe.png
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8588/74240791.png

Recoginse it? I took away one side of the river bank and then I took the other island thingy away...

I'm willing to upload the .world file if someone wants to finish it off for me, I tend to lose interest in all my projects :( hehehe!

kustirider2
19th Dec 2009, 9:55 PM
Great, I can't patch my game, so I can't use this! Why... why... does the game have to be patched!?

Don't patch your game! I've done it and a couple of other people I know and all of our games have been borked. I'm not gonna risk it anymore.

Claeric
19th Dec 2009, 10:01 PM
Can anyone tell me how horizons work?

In sunset Valley, there's a hiroizon. It isnt surrounded by water.

But the pictures everyone has posted so far seem to imply you work on a square surrounded by water and sculpt it. So how do horizons work? Do you hvae to have raised edges to hide the water? Or can you set it up so that certain un-editable sides are land?

Jasumi
19th Dec 2009, 10:12 PM

But the pictures everyone has posted so far seem to imply you work on a square surrounded by water and sculpt it. So how do horizons work? Do you hvae to have raised edges to hide the water? Or can you set it up so that certain un-editable sides are land?

Sunset Valley's horizon is an actual mesh that can be placed around the land formation. I believe Riverview's horizon is simply an area masked off from camera movement.

Ryu Doppler
19th Dec 2009, 10:28 PM

As far as I can tell the horizon land is just a distant terrain mesh. A static mesh of the terrain that can be placed in a world. I wouldn't know if you could somehow make such a mesh using the CAW tool directly though (as in export from directly to mesh), as it seems to be something that would require an external modeling program to work up (I'm just making an educated guess here).

Now you might be able to use the tool to help in setting up such a mesh of your world. Something like creating your world, exporting it's heightmap, shrinking it's size perhaps down by 2 and importing it to a new world, creating the extension in that world and et cetera (anything you have to do for this process). But even if you went that route, you'd still need to use a modeling program to resize and turn that extension piece of the land into a mesh for the world to be placed.

Now is it just me, or does the CAW not have access to all the terrain textures that are available. I ask because I can't seem to access the additional rock textures (rock_shale_detail, rock_granite_detail and rock_granite_detailB), outside of the Sunset Valley world. And they don't appear to have been given accessible corresponding DDS converts in the SourceTextures folder.

ioscream
19th Dec 2009, 10:33 PM
um... Medium i think? Hell if i remember...
Now my only problem is while loading it for the first time... it pauses at 25% then my game closes. -.-
I had to take my CC out and delete my caches because my game whouldnt even start up before. And now it crashes. BBaahh.
And ya, i deleted about 7 town before this XD i got frustrated and decided to try to re-make my favorite sims 2 hoods. And i realize that re-creating the sims 1 Hood with old town will be so easy now...but im not gonna try it o.o

Now im wondering why my hood makes my game crash... i added everything i should have....

Not only did I move my Mods folder, I also moved my DCCache, DCBackup, and Downloads folder. I did them all at once, so I don't know which of the 3 actually made it work (probably DCCache), but I went from waiting 30 minutes to loading in about 2 minutes. Of course delete your other cache files as well.

ioscream
19th Dec 2009, 10:36 PM
As far as I can tell the horizon land is just a distant terrain mesh. A static mesh of the terrain that can be placed in a world. I wouldn't know if you could somehow make such a mesh using the CAW tool directly though (as in export from directly to mesh), as it seems to be something that would require an external modeling program to work up (I'm just making an educated guess here).

Now you might be able to use the tool to help in setting up such a mesh of your world. Something like creating your world, exporting it's heightmap, shrinking it's size perhaps down by 2 and importing it to a new world, creating the extension in that world and et cetera (anything you have to do for this process). But even if you went that route, you'd still need to use a modeling program to resize and turn that extension piece of the land into a mesh for the world to be placed.

Now is it just me, or does the CAW not have access to all the terrain textures that are available. I ask because I can't seem to access the additional rock textures (rock_shale_detail, rock_granite_detail and rock_granite_detailB), outside of the Sunset Valley world. And they don't appear to have been given accessible corresponding DDS converts in the SourceTextures folder.

Those details, I believe, can be added through Edit in Game.. of course that can only be done on lots.. however, I also BELIEVE that you can make NON-Visitable lots that you can use to add those finer details.

Ryu Doppler
19th Dec 2009, 11:03 PM
Well that does kind of make it hard to paint outside mountains and various rocky formation details with them in a much better fashion (at least with the default textures that should be accessible). In one of my first worlds I'm making I have it enclosed by mountains, and I'd really enjoy being able to paint the mountains in the world with these textures (especially with the granite textures, as they appear to give the Mountains of Sunset Valley their decent rocky appearance).

fluttereyes
20th Dec 2009, 12:03 AM
Ryu, when you want a terrain paint that isn't on your list, just go to paint then select add layer, that will open up a dialogue box where you just pick the terrain paint you want to use. We have been warned not to use more than 8 as each creates a newlayer and will fill the world files up fast.

The CAW loads up 4 default textures that are based on the type of terrain you chose, e.g lush or desert.