PDA

View Full Version : Elevator Shaft for Levels with lower Walls

Yogi-Tea
7th Jan 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm currently building a new lot and have been using a foundation and also lowered walls. While playtesting I found out that the elevator didn't connect all floors because the levels with lowered walls didn't have an elevator shaft. It's also not possible to add the original elevator shaft to those levels with lowered walls because of its size - the top of it will always be visible at the above level. Since I didn't want to rebuild the whole lot again I decided to create a smaller elevator shaft for it.

This lowered version of the original elevator shaft works fine in game and therefore I'd like to share it with you. It's non-recolourable, just like the original elevator shaft.

Required:

Late Night (6.0.81.009017)

Price:

Catalog Location:

Build Mode > Stairs, Railings and Elevators > Elevators > "Elevator Shaft (small)"

or (with testingcheatsenabled and buydebug activated)

Buy Mode > Debug > Misc. Objects > "Elevator Shaft (small)"

Polygon Counts:

Additional Credits:
WesHowe for the Object Tool, for all the great MilkShape Plugins and also for the tutorial about meshing (here (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:3D_Meshing_Part_I)).

Inge and Peter Jones for s3pe and s3oc (here (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:3D_Meshing_Part_I)).

Unknown author for this (http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/help/htmlfiles/Examples/TextureAssign.html) tutorial about applying a texture to a mesh.

iLoveYoUiLoveMe
7th Jan 2012, 2:03 PM
Thanks ! Love itt. ;)

Athy
7th Jan 2012, 2:06 PM
Very useful.Thanks ^_^

Vampchick
7th Jan 2012, 2:12 PM
I WANT TO MARRY U!!! I have been waiting for this for so long!!

earthwise
7th Jan 2012, 2:52 PM
Just what I needed thanks!

Bluna The Sims
7th Jan 2012, 5:25 PM
Ideal for foundations! Thank you so much!

Ouerbacker
7th Jan 2012, 5:59 PM
Oh , this is handy. Thanks!

ytrewqaaa
7th Jan 2012, 9:16 PM
Pretty usefull, t.hanks!!!

avitous
7th Jan 2012, 10:21 PM
Oh wow, thank you! This came just in time for my experimenting with short walls! Thank you thank you!

Tribbs
7th Jan 2012, 10:54 PM
How do you put those foundations on other floors? I can't unleash my creativity without it! lol

RomerJon17
7th Jan 2012, 11:56 PM
What a great idea -)
I already made a lot with an elevator but no foundation on second floor :/ ...
But anyway I will make with foundation =)
Really good idea mate =D

VanSnooten
8th Jan 2012, 5:24 AM
Wonderful, now I can have a basement under a foundation without having to screw around. Cheers x 1 million : )

Yogi-Tea
8th Jan 2012, 6:47 AM
Whoa! None of my other creations got accepted that fast....

If you're happy I'm happy too. Thank you for your comments. Since I'm not an experienced mesher it took me a while to finish this - and for the very first time I understood how to apply a texture in Milkshape. Yay! I learned an important lesson. :bunny:

How do you put those foundations on other floors? I can't unleash my creativity without it! lol
You need the cheat "placefriezes on" to being able to place foundations on higher levels. Just keep in mind that you'll not be able to place foundations on the ground as long as this cheat is activated. You'll deactivate it with "placefriezes off".

I WANT TO MARRY U!!! I have been waiting for this for so long!!
:giggler: ... thank you for the laugh.

ejnarts1
8th Jan 2012, 8:40 AM
Brilliant!

lisfyre
8th Jan 2012, 3:05 PM
Fabulous!! I never thought of something like this until you created it. I'm sure I won't be able to live without it now :) Thank you so much!! Now I can put foundations and friezes on my houses again AND put in elevators.. now if someone will fix it so we can have spiral stairs do the same thing... ;)

Pepperbutt
8th Jan 2012, 9:39 PM
... When I saw this, honestly, my first thought was to ask you to marry me.

This is like. o_o Amazing. And it seriously doesn't look like your first time doing something like this.

<insert 'thank you' spam 500 times over>

Yogi-Tea
9th Jan 2012, 2:35 PM
This is like. o_o Amazing. And it seriously doesn't look like your first time doing something like this.Well, it's the second time I've been working with Milkshape. The first time I used Milkshape for changing the order of a painting (uploaded that with the Simpsons House), however, I never had changed the size of an object or created a completely new object with Milkshape. It's actually not that difficult but it takes time to understand how everything works.

It's funny to read that people would merry me for uploading the lowered elevator shaft. I usually have thoughts like that if I'm in a restaurant and eat something that is absolutely delicious. :rofl:

Thanks to all of you for your lovely comments.

MorriganRane
9th Jan 2012, 10:19 PM
Oh thank you so much! You have no idea how often I've built a lot, decided it needed an elevator to something like the basement, only to realize the foundation was an issue. I've been hoping for something like this for so long!

Vukodlak
9th Jan 2012, 11:08 PM
Awesome I had no idea this was even possible I just assumed it wasn't otherwise it have been done already.

Jaguwar
10th Jan 2012, 2:18 PM
Hey this is brilliant! I haven't used elevators much yet, but I can see how it will come in handy. Thanks for your ingenuity!

DaichiHime
11th Jan 2012, 10:11 PM
This is great. Just like everyone else, I had no idea it was possible, either. And I love basements and am always wanting to give my made-over EA houses a basement, only to realize it's pretty much impossible if it's built on a foundation, gah. So this will work for that, yes? I can't wait to get in game and try it out. Thank you! <3

Celebriton
12th Jan 2012, 1:15 AM
One of the most useful mod!!!

You are a hero!

Thank you sooo much much!!!

cDV
12th Jan 2012, 6:37 AM
thank you so much - recently stumbled upon that "error" as well and cancelled the whole idea of a secret science lab below a manor since of course, secret research has to take place underground - but w/o elevator?? no way... now i can try again... thank you so much!

lydocia
12th Jan 2012, 11:38 AM
So this works for connecting floors with foundations to a basement?

anie_1981
12th Jan 2012, 4:02 PM
My English is to poor, could someone give me the screen with the example of using the shaft? This is really interesting... Since one of the patch (I don't remember which one), we can't build the stairs to the basement if there is the foundation... So we need to use the elevator, and so we need to use a cheat to connect basement with the floor...

Yogi-Tea
12th Jan 2012, 9:50 PM
So this works for connecting floors with foundations to a basement?Yes, it works for foundations and lowered walls. Just remove the four tiles of the foundation where you want to place the elevator shaft. You'll need the moveobjects cheat to place it inside the foundation, however, you do NOT need moveobjects if you use it with lowered walls.

May sounds complicated, but it's not.

My English is to poor, could someone give me the screen with the example of using the shaft? This is really interesting... Since one of the patch (I don't remember which one), we can't build the stairs to the basement if there is the foundation... So we need to use the elevator, and so we need to use a cheat to connect basement with the floor...You CAN have stairs to the basement if the house is build on a foundation - I'd recommend the tutorial about split-levels (without warped walls) to you but it's in English. What language(s) do you speak?

Sorry, but I already have deleted my test build for this object so I can't make the additional screenshots for you. My current build doesn't have a foundation. Actually the second picture of this upload (the one in the middle) shows how it works. It's really not that difficult.

Gamineannie
13th Jan 2012, 2:54 AM
This is so cool! Thank you for making this and sharing it with us!

Yogi-Tea
16th Jan 2012, 12:45 PM
Omfg, I Need This For Sims 2, Please Convert It!!!!!!!Sorry I can't, I no longer have S2 installed on my computer. Feel free to use my mesh for a conversion to Sims 2. :)

DaichiHime
17th Jan 2012, 11:09 PM
So this works for connecting floors with foundations to a basement?

It does, yes. I tried it last night. You DO have to use "moveobjects on" in order to place it inside of the foundation, though. At least I had to in my game.

This is brilliant. Now my Lara Croft sim doesn't have to reach her underground crypt via stairs in her garage. XD That was awkward.

Edited: Wow, didn't even bother looking at the second page did I. Didn't realize that had been answered already. But my testimonial still stands! Thanks, Yogi-Tea!

Yogi-Tea
22nd Jan 2012, 7:03 AM
It does, yes. I tried it last night. You DO have to use "moveobjects on" in order to place it inside of the foundation, though. At least I had to in my game.

This is brilliant. Now my Lara Croft sim doesn't have to reach her underground crypt via stairs in her garage. XD That was awkward.

Edited: Wow, didn't even bother looking at the second page did I. Didn't realize that had been answered already. But my testimonial still stands! Thanks, Yogi-Tea!Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that it works so well in your game, however, I also could imagine Lara Croft sliding down the speedy pole instead of using an elevator. :giggler:

happyjme
5th Feb 2012, 5:05 AM
you mam, are a genius!

Riptide651
12th Feb 2012, 2:22 AM
Just in time.. I'm building a concert hall (well more of a rock joint in an old warehouse), and this would be perfect because of the elevated stage.

Yogi-Tea
17th Feb 2012, 5:21 AM
Just in time.. I'm building a concert hall (well more of a rock joint in an old warehouse), and this would be perfect because of the elevated stage.Great idea. I would love to see this uploaded here at MTS. :bunny:

Mimi_Sardinia
14th May 2012, 6:02 PM
This is a damn good idea. I was always a bit irritated with the look of a full-sized shaft after it was placed in a foundation - this doesn't stick up like that did (I just did some renovations to the French Base Camp building, installing a basement).

johnsnavywife
26th Aug 2012, 1:01 AM
Positively brillant, thank you so much! I love this so much. Off to build now.

AnaAdena
26th Aug 2012, 2:24 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!! You answered my prayers!!!
:gjob:

Saeshmea
25th Sep 2012, 12:46 AM
This is the most clever idea that would have never occurred to me. LOL Thank you very much ^^ I wonder what us builders would do in the Sims without all the people that fixes everything EA didn't thought of.

USAnnika
28th Oct 2012, 7:38 PM
Thank you very much for this download. Juts trying to figure out how to connect the basement and the foundation level.

robingravel
29th Oct 2012, 11:54 PM
I built a new gym with a fondation and need something to use the elevator to go to the basement. This mod is great.

Thank you.

robinohlin
15th Nov 2012, 11:18 PM
hi.. it dont work for me i have put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Rn\Mina dokument\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Collections\User but it still not working? whats have i do wrong?

robingravel
16th Nov 2012, 5:27 PM
hi.. it dont work for me i have put it in C:\Documents and Settings\Rn\Mina dokument\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Collections\User but it still not working? whats have i do wrong?

C:\Documents and Settings\Rn\Mina dokument\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

DraghonCiege
16th Jul 2013, 2:37 AM
I'm having a problem, I just bought all the ep and sp not including Island Paradise, and also excluding Katy Perry's Sweet Treats... The Launcher says I'm on 1.55.4.022017 and when I put the file in the mod folder "Packages" the game wont start and stays on a black screen and my cursor... if I take the file out, the game starts ok... are you working on an update or no?

Yogi-Tea
18th Jul 2013, 6:42 PM
[...] when I put the file in the mod folder "Packages" the game wont start and stays on a black screen and my cursor... if I take the file out, the game starts ok... are you working on an update or no?I have all the expansion packs and stuff packs and my game patched to 1.55 and my game starts like it always does. I put the package file for the smaller elevator shaft in my mods folder and playtested if for a while without having any problems with it.

Do you have any other mods or hacks installed to your game? Maybe the new expansion pack is the reason why this package is not working properly with other mods/hacks installed at the same time. It's also better to not have mods/hacks added to the game when installing a new expansion pack.

If you check your installed mods/hacks with the Dashboard tool you may find out what mods/hacks don't work well together. Unless there are many other people having the same problem I won't update this file or upload a second file.

trin303
13th Nov 2013, 3:48 PM
This is a definitely needed object!

vavoir
6th Feb 2014, 3:59 PM
Merci !!!

ilhares
20th Feb 2014, 2:37 AM
Wonderful addition. If only there were something like this to plug the gap on the grav tubes (from Into the Future) in the same way.

FozzerBear
27th Feb 2014, 9:19 PM
Actually, I wasn't looking for this. But after reading your description I think it's very useful. More like something EA just forgot to put in. Thanks.

Yogi-Tea
28th Feb 2014, 5:21 PM
Thank you guys. Last time I tested this was with game patch 1.55 - i haven't yet tested it with patch 1.67, so if you experience any game problems while having this item installed, please let me know. Thanks. :)

phakin69
3rd Feb 2015, 4:46 PM
Thank you so much

ZoeWeiss
24th Mar 2015, 3:43 AM
Brilliant idea! I have an issue that I had hoped would work for this, but sadly no. I have a tall ceiling on my first floor, the ceiling height is 1 and a 1/2 walls tall. I was hoping this would be stackable, but no :( Can you make a half height shaft? Or would you know a work around maybe please :) Thanks for your time!

M.D.Simologist
29th Apr 2016, 5:03 AM
exactly what I needed. Lifesaver!!!!