PDA

View Full Version : Some sims that always smile as their "normal" expression

lazzybum
15th Apr 2012, 12:32 PM
I've noticed this for a while (over a year) but I never decided to ask about it till now and see if others have this as well.

Well, it seems that some sims always have a smiling expression whenever its their normal/nothing going on expression and it appears frozen or stuck. Most interactions that require expression changes still work fine, but a few don't (sometimes theyre crying, but they are smiling in their hands).

Whats weird that it has only effected particular sims, and it kind of "passed down" to their kid. It has happened to two different household, and it passed down to one of their kids. So right now theres 4 sims that have this. I haven't seen any other sims have this, its not contagious or anything.

I never bugged me too much, but I had to force error them a few times for picture purposes. But they revert back like the next day. And it sticks through the sim's whole lifetime.

So, is there an explain for this? What causes it? Is it fixable? Has anyone else experienced this?

Im treating this more of a discussion than something that needs to be in the help section. I could live if there isnt a fix :P

katya_stevens
15th Apr 2012, 12:52 PM
Not sure if there's an explanation, but the lot debugger has an option to "fix stupid expressions" which will fix constant smiling (as well as any other stuck expressions like the :O face after a teen's been noogied).

Peni Griffin
15th Apr 2012, 3:02 PM
Take them to the mirror and look at their lip conformation.

The corners of the mouth are one of the slideable variables in CAS, and if the mouth naturally turns up or down at the corners the sim will have a tendency to appear to be smiling or frowning almost all the time. Obviously this is genetic - Goz Hawkins has passed on his perpetual frown to two of his children, while Maddy Moiselle has passed her manically grinning rosebud to her daughter. If that's what's going on, there won't be anything to do about it but recognize that this sim or that has a worried smile, a sad smile, an angry smile, etc.

If it's not, then the batbox fix for stupid expressions would be the place to start.

maxon
15th Apr 2012, 3:12 PM
The corners of the mouth are one of the slideable variables in CAS, and if the mouth naturally turns up or down at the corners the sim will have a tendency to appear to be smiling or frowning almost all the time. Obviously this is genetic - Goz Hawkins has passed on his perpetual frown to two of his children, while Maddy Moiselle has passed her manically grinning rosebud to her daughter. If that's what's going on, there won't be anything to do about it but recognize that this sim or that has a worried smile, a sad smile, an angry smile, etc.
The game, by default, has them smiling. I spend a significant amount of time in sim creation turning down the corners of their mouths. Since I installed that mod that makes them stay still in CAS while I make them, it's a lot easier to do and a lot easier to see just how much each 'standard' mouth in CAS is a smiley mouth. That inane gurning and giggling that used to go on in CAS used to drive me wild. Anyway, you have to actively get rid of the idiot grins. :jest:

Fivey
15th Apr 2012, 5:09 PM
The game, by default, has them smiling. I spend a significant amount of time in sim creation turning down the corners of their mouths. Since I installed that mod that makes them stay still in CAS while I make them, it's a lot easier to do and a lot easier to see just how much each 'standard' mouth in CAS is a smiley mouth. That inane gurning and giggling that used to go on in CAS used to drive me wild. Anyway, you have to actively get rid of the idiot grins. :jest:

I tried downloading that once, but all it would make me do is spit me to the other side of the CAS lot with no return. :lol:

Sof_m9
15th Apr 2012, 6:11 PM
This happens to me sometimes. What I do is command those sims to take a nap on the couch and when they wake up their expression goes back to normal. :)

lazzybum
15th Apr 2012, 8:31 PM
I'm pretty sure its not genetics of the mouth corners. Are you talking about Mary-Sue Pleasant vs. Mrs. Crumplebottom?

Mines have a fixed actual smile, were the teeth are showing and the eyes are stuck open too. Heres a picture of Ferguson crying his eyes out at his fathers death, but hes clearly still smiling lol. Hes on the very left, behind the servo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/lazzybum/Sims2EP92011-06-2401-04-17-57.png

I'll try out that batbox command, hopefully it will fix it permanently :O

Fivey
15th Apr 2012, 9:13 PM
I'm pretty sure its not genetics of the mouth corners. Are you talking about Mary-Sue Pleasant vs. Mrs. Crumplebottom?

Mines have a fixed actual smile, were the teeth are showing and the eyes are stuck open too. Heres a picture of Ferguson crying his eyes out at his fathers death, but hes clearly still smiling lol. Hes on the very left, behind the servo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/lazzybum/Sims2EP92011-06-2401-04-17-57.png

I'll try out that batbox command, hopefully it will fix it permanently :O

Sometimes it's a glitch that expressions stick in inappropriate times.

As seen here. (http://strange-tomato.livejournal.com/18209.html)

DigitalSympathies
15th Apr 2012, 10:26 PM
The batbox does fix that (as a machinima director, it can get annoying to have a perfect queue of actions lined up for a really serious scene and they start SMILING) and it also fixes stuck "RAEEEGGG" expressions and other faces like "gossip-face." :P

Tracyn
16th Apr 2012, 6:26 AM
Mom always told me that if you make stupid expressions your face would eventually get stuck that way. :P

badman56
17th Apr 2012, 7:21 PM
is there a solution for the smiling in CAS? ive tried the mod on here but it didnt have any effect