PDA

View Full Version : Pictures for blogging?

Rarr
6th Jul 2012, 3:41 PM
I just set up a LJ for blogging my Sims but I've heard that snapshots from the game are low quality. Does anyone have suggestions about what I should use to take pictures?

lauratje86
6th Jul 2012, 3:44 PM
Shameless self-promotion (of a sort) coming up! :-)

If you're not used to taking photos in the Sims 2, or at least not to taking photos to share with people, I'd suggested checking out a tutorial or two. The main one I'd suggest is the one that I wrote (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=431044) - but I'm probably biased! :-D

It does have some information about different methods of taking pictures/screenshots though, so hopefully it'll help you decide which method you prefer :-)

Rarr
6th Jul 2012, 4:52 PM
Thanks for the link! Is the free Fraps program any good, or do you have to buy the full to get most features?

lauratje86
6th Jul 2012, 5:12 PM
You're welcome :-) I don't use it any more, but I found that the free version did everything I ever wanted to do with it. I'm not sure what the extra features for the paid-for version are, but what you can get for free is pretty good :-)

Rarr
6th Jul 2012, 5:18 PM
Ok, that sounds great! (I didn't want to download it if it was a mini trial thing like some places do to you.)

Night Racer
6th Jul 2012, 5:45 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/fergiefan12/Untitled-1.jpg
Fraps is the best if all you want is in-game pictures. The only downside to free is it will only save in BMP, which take up way more space than PNG, But I just convert it in either photoshop or paint. I also suggest downloading a No-Red pause line mod, since it tends ot ruin shots. I think one is at MATY.

Gcgb53191
6th Jul 2012, 5:47 PM
Ok, that sounds great! (I didn't want to download it if it was a mini trial thing like some places do to you.)

Its not :)

Rarr
6th Jul 2012, 6:16 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/fergiefan12/Untitled-1.jpg
Fraps is the best if all you want is in-game pictures. The only downside to free is it will only save in BMP, which take up way more space than PNG, But I just convert it in either photoshop or paint. I also suggest downloading a No-Red pause line mod, since it tends ot ruin shots. I think one is at MATY.
Thanks, I got the red line mod, and I have photoshop, so once i figure out how to convert pictures I'll be good!

Night Racer
6th Jul 2012, 6:55 PM
I do Save as...
If you want nice sized pictures in good quality to post here at MTS, the "save for web" feature is perfect for that. I reduce the size to 1000 pixels wide, make it a JPG, then adjust the quality to whatever is just under 150kbs. If you make the picture small than 1000 pixels, you can have a JPG at higher quality under 150kbs.

Rarr
6th Jul 2012, 7:02 PM
I do Save as...
If you want nice sized pictures in good quality to post here at MTS, the "save for web" feature is perfect for that. I reduce the size to 1000 pixels wide, make it a JPG, then adjust the quality to whatever is just under 150kbs. If you make the picture small than 1000 pixels, you can have a JPG at higher quality under 150kbs.
oh! :faceslap: For some reason that never even crossed my mind, even though I'm very familiar with computer things. :lol: I'm probably going to post most of my things at my new LJ, but that's good to know. Thanks!

victory101
6th Jul 2012, 7:48 PM
As an alternative, maybe check out MWSnap? I could never work with Fraps -- I hated the interface and the BMP-only requirement drove me crazy. MWSnap does basically the same thing, but there are a lot less limitations, since it's freeware. (There is an irritating setting to watchout for when you first install, though: before you start taking pictures, go to Tools>Settings>Snapping and UNCHECK 'Restore MWSnap after snapping' if it isn't already. Otherwise, every time you take a picture, the program will de-minimize itself.)

Mortimer 2
6th Jul 2012, 8:17 PM
Or you can try Gadwin Printscreen (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/)

sushigal007
6th Jul 2012, 10:30 PM
I used Gadwin for a while, but when I switched to windowed mode, it would only give me blank screencaps. I now use FRAPs - but a full version as I prefer to save my pictures in PNG. One small note about using an external screencapper is double check it's running before you start playing, and check it's actually taking pictures. Once or twice I've gone to hit my hotkey and suddenly realised I haven't actually got FRAPs loaded. I'm sure plenty of other people have got tales about their undocumented gameplay due to missing screencaps.