PDA

View Full Version : Do your sims need to pay for engagement &wedding rings?

lazzybum
8th Jul 2012, 8:06 AM
I'm curious if anyone made a rule for sims to need to "buy" engagement & wedding rings, so that some sims need to save up for a proposal. If so, how much do you charge? Is there any other wedding-related taxes and fees you play with?

RowenaLupin
8th Jul 2012, 8:26 AM
I make them go down to the courthouse for their marriage license, and it costs 1k for it, and the weddings if they're not private are held at the community parks, and it costs 5k. I haven't done the buy engagement rings/wedding rings yet though, but its a nice idea. Hm.

maxon
8th Jul 2012, 11:00 AM
I've never thought rings are that important for a wedding, so no.

Amairani
8th Jul 2012, 11:41 AM
I realize how much my Sims get for free when in real life we pay for everything >_<

M.M.A.A.
8th Jul 2012, 2:52 PM
Naah! I'm just to lazy to charge my sims anything, well, at the moment.

TychoH
8th Jul 2012, 4:48 PM
No payments for the marriages. Most of the time they just marry in the clothes they are in at that moment, without an arch or a party. I think I'm too lazy to do a wedding party.

MattShizzle
8th Jul 2012, 6:12 PM
On the other hand they have to pay to have streetlights near their house.

lil_princess_of_evil
8th Jul 2012, 6:19 PM
I make them go to the bridal store and buy rings using the jewelry that comes with bon voyage? ep, and then to the courthouse to buy the marriage certificate which is just an award/certificate looking decor item. Overall that's about only $500 - $1000? or so, whatever the costs are for two jewelry plus the decor certificate item. After that, I have no requirements where/how much they get married.

Gcgb53191
8th Jul 2012, 7:06 PM
I have a fee for weddings or just eloping.

I have thought about charging for rings but then not everyone buys a real diamond ring for their SO so for now I'll just add it to their wedding fee. Assuming they can afford a huge wedding party (around $10,000) then I'll just pretend they were able to afford a nice diamond engagement ring and that part of the fee from the party was for the ring as well. Same goes for someone who couldn't afford to get married so they just eloped at the court house, then they probably just bought very simple rings for each other :)

lauratje86
8th Jul 2012, 7:29 PM
No, I don't. But it's a good idea, so I will from now on! :-D Thank you for asking, lazzybum, I always like coming across new ideas for my game :-) I do already charge for weddings ($1,000 for the marriage fee, varying amounts to marry on a community lot) and also for the wedding attire, obviously, by sending sims to buy the dress and tuxedo, but I hadn't thought to make them buy rings as well.

Simonut
8th Jul 2012, 7:32 PM
Why should I let my Pixel Sims even save up for an engagement or wedding ring ? When they have the "luck" that their pixel world turn and close up for a real quick second and a "Rings" comes out of no where in a perfect little black box. No pain because it is "Free" and the plus factor is Just incase later in the relationship one of the Sims get "Kick ToThe Curb" no one lose anything, except themself. ( you go your way and I go my way ) :luff:

Unlike the "Real World" where everything have a high price, engagement and wedding ring, buying the marriage certificate, renting a place out to get married ,buying the wedding clothes, food, and even at time paying for the person to marry you, paying for entertainment for the guests and paying for the honeymoon. Only to later in some cases get "Kick To The Curb" even that cost money when it's time or lead-into a divorce. My Pixel Sims world is "lucky" they do not need all that domestic rubbish, I will not enter their pixel world as a player and destroy it. :blink:

We all have the right to play our game as we please that what make it so fun. ;)

simsample
8th Jul 2012, 9:53 PM
I could have sworn that sims used to have to pay for rings- or am I thinking of Sims 1?

omglo
8th Jul 2012, 10:06 PM
No, but I'm stealing that idea. Right now they only pay the wedding photographer if they have one.

lauratje86
8th Jul 2012, 10:47 PM
No, but I'm stealing that idea. Right now they only pay the wedding photographer if they have one.

*steals omglo's idea as well*

lazzybum
8th Jul 2012, 11:11 PM
I could have sworn that sims used to have to pay for rings- or am I thinking of Sims 1?

I do remember buying diamond rings in Sims 1, but I'm not sure if it counted as engagement rings.

Great input so far everyone! I've never thought of marriage license or wedding photographers! So far, theres only a fee for community wedding parties. So it doesn't cost much for house weddings! I might charge for the rings instead of a license.

This idea popped up because of a sim who recently wed and they were financially stable. But her twin sister is living in a cruddy apartment with her bf on the other side of the hood, struggling to pay bills & necessities. So I thought it would be realistic and cute if the boyfriend made a goal to save up enough money to buy a pretty ring to propose to her, even if he has to do extra stuff like work at as a bartista xD

Btw, what do you guys use to charge fees? I just use the checkbook to give it to the mayor, but is there something easier, like an object, where you can donate 1k, 5k, etc easily?

lil_princess_of_evil
9th Jul 2012, 12:51 AM
Monique's hacked computer is what I use for other fees that I have in my game. You can "donate" money like that and it basically just disappears. You can also get loans out of it I do believe, though I've never used it for that myself.

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,93501.0.html

lauratje86
9th Jul 2012, 12:54 AM
Monique's hacked computer is what I use for other fees that I have in my game. You can "donate" money like that and it basically just disappears. You can also get loans out of it I do believe, though I've never used it for that myself.

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,93501.0.html

Same here :-) You can donate money using it, so it just vanishes, or you can use it to transfer money to a playable sim's household funds or bank account. You can also save money in a bank account using it, which earns interest. I don't know how I'd play without it! :-)

AlexandraSpears
9th Jul 2012, 2:10 AM
Funny, I always thought they pulled them out of their pocket.... :lol:

(Mine is an amethyst surrounded by 17 diamonds.)

Peni Griffin
9th Jul 2012, 3:22 AM
When I delay fulfilling mutual engagement wants that occur on a date, it's because I'm only controlling one sim and I have a story reason for preferring that the other propose. So on those occasions I declare that the proposer is waiting because s/he needs to go get a ring. But I never subtract money for it. I'm way too math-challenged to mess with that stuff. I leave most of it to my husband IRL (because no one wants me doing math, and my idea of budgeting is just not spending money on anything unnecessary until we can pay cash in full up front for what we want) and I'm darn sure not going to mess with it in the game. I handwave a bit and claim, depending on circumstances, that the ring is handed down in the family or that it's being paid over time and is part of the biweekly billing. That's close enough for gummit work for me. A lot of stuff happens "in the cracks" of a sims game, and this is one of them.

BTW, I don't have an engagement ring, and our wedding rings are gold-filled (a solid sheet of gold wrapped around a base metal center - much more durable than real gold and it doesn't flake off like plate; I don't want gold-plated anything) and bought, through a friend in the jewelry business, from a wholesaler for I think $20-$30 each 25 years ago come Friday. We were going to get married at the courthouse, but when we picked up our licenses we found that the JP required appointments and the minister doing business out of the basement of the building across the street (apartments on top, shops and stores at street level, wedding chapel underneath) took walk-ins, so we went across the street and stood, I kid you not, under a wedding arch twined with artificial flowers. Witnesses were our then-housemate and my stepdaughter. We then had lunch on the Riverwalk, went home, called people, and told them what we'd done. It saved a lot of time, trouble, and expense. So I have no problem with the fact that a simple ring-exchanged under an arch with witnesses is a legally-binding marriage in Drama Acres. Makes a lot more sense than spending money you don't have, fielding conflicts between family members whose ideas of the right way to do a wedding conflict with each other's and your own, and stressing everybody out. I have a theory that the length of the marriage is in inverse proportion to the cost of the wedding, and I - and my sims - are in it for life, thank you!