PDA

View Full Version : Your sim time translated to real time

Babahara
19th Jul 2012, 1:34 PM
I'd really like to know how your sim time translates to your real life time. How long does it take you to play one sim day, on average?

Petchy
19th Jul 2012, 1:35 PM
A handful of hours I think, depending on how much you fast-forward. I'd say about 2 days is a good sitting for me, which is why I find it so hard to play sims for long periods of time, it just takes so long and there isn't enough time to do all the things you want!

StrangeTownChick
19th Jul 2012, 1:44 PM
Half an hour, if I'm in Stonebridge.

ella_in_wonderland
19th Jul 2012, 3:17 PM
Since I play with fast-forward on a lot of the time, I guess it takes around 15-20 minutes.

sweetbaby160
19th Jul 2012, 5:13 PM
for me it seems to depend on the household...I do a one week rotation between all the lots, but that one Sim week can sometimes feel like only an hour in RL or like an actual week! The family I'm currently playing, it's only taken one night (6 RL hours) to get from Monday to Friday, but a cousin's house took me twice that to get thru, even with using fast-forward (which I don't generally do), but the cousin is a popularity sim who likes to visit community lots while the other family perfer staying home....
EDIT: I don't think what I've written makes much sense...

rogue_55
19th Jul 2012, 6:29 PM
A handful of hours I think, depending on how much you fast-forward. I'd say about 2 days is a good sitting for me, which is why I find it so hard to play sims for long periods of time, it just takes so long and there isn't enough time to do all the things you want!

That's about as much as I can handle at a time as well. I normally don't play for more than 2 hours at a time and I can only get through about 2 to 4 sim days in that time depending on how large the family is. Since I can only play for so long in a day and I have so many families, it probably takes me a month to get through all of them.

Liv Lukas
19th Jul 2012, 8:04 PM
It takes me quite awhile. I don't fast forward too much and I really like to see all the little details happening. So I would say a Sim day takes me an hour or two to complete? That'd be my guess.

sushigal007
19th Jul 2012, 10:13 PM
Totally depends on the household and the sims in it. I played a week with Cyd Roseland very quickly because when he wasn't at work, he was skilling, and when he wasn't doing that, he was sleeping. Dull. Fast-forward. Playing a week with the Ottomas took me at least three times longer because there was so much going on. And then playing a week with Malcolm Landgraab took a while because time spent at his businesses didn't count. He was able to live through one day at least three times.

SusannaG
19th Jul 2012, 10:22 PM
Probably something in the vicinity of an hour and a half. Longer if it's a household with a plantsim or werewolf in residence.

Peni Griffin
19th Jul 2012, 10:43 PM
It's rare for me to get through a sim day in less than an hour, for a number of reasons.

First is that I tend to run big households, which naturally take longer to run.

Second is that I take my time about it. The first thing I do when I open the household is look at each sim individually, every panel in their head's up displays, to refamiliarize myself with where they are in their lives and what I can expect when I take the game off pause. I particularly look at their memories to see if they did anything major (say, autonomously cheating, falling in love, or making an enemy) in between rotations while I was playing another house. The second thing I do is open the story tool and review what happened last rotation. The last thing I do is open the storytelling tool again and update it, discarding pictures that came out too bad even for me, writing captions, and making notes to help me next time I open the lot. The mere fact that I update the storytelling tool every game session slows this process down, as it has to deal with all those thumbnails and jpegs as it opens. Also, once I start playing, I may pause the game for some time trying to get a decent shot of an event with the in-game camera so I have something to put into the album; or if I start to feel overwhelmed (say the family just had twins, one of the adults is close to the end of his lifebar, and one of the teens is on the verge of aspiration failure) I can be paused for awhile making sure I've done everything I can to avert a crisis. I might pause the game to make sure I don't miss anything, to locate homework, to find out where the heck that BOiNG of heartbreak came from, or even to check who that is walking by on the street.

Third is that I use community lots. Lots of them. I never have anything delivered if it's at all possible to get anyone out to the grocery store without the social worker showing up. I might send one teen-ager on an outing as soon as he gets home, have another teen-ager take the kids to the park as soon as they get home, and send the parents out for date night after that. Once out, depending on the circumstances, the trip may cover several lots. That's a lot of loading screens! I keep a book handy and also use the loading screens for bathroom breaks, drink refreshing, etc.

Fourth is that real life continues in the background. If the dryer buzzes at me, my husband comes home from work, the phone rings, time to make supper arrives, or the cats get into a territorial dispute with the possums, the game gets paused.

And fifth is that I like to savor my sims. It'll be a month or so till I come back to them in most cases, and I want to enjoy them while I've got them. So I hardly ever use the fast forward button, but sit there listening to their voices in my head, watching for my favorite animations, interpreting their autonomous behavior, and generally having a good time. I prefer to make major purchases and remodeling while they sleep, and will sometimes go round a lot full of sleeping sims three or four times to make sure I've done everything I wanted to.

So on those rare occasions when I spend under an hour with a household, I tend to feel shortchanged. Two and three hours are better. For major events like a Hawkins wedding, four to six hours is reasonable. You can see why one-day rotations are my standard. A week-long rotation would exhaust me!

FranH
19th Jul 2012, 11:08 PM
It takes me about perhaps a half hour to get through one sim day, but that's for one family from 7am one day to 7 am the next. The reasons are many:
I have Chris Hatch's 'half-speed' mod, which slows down the game to half its' original speed. (based on Merola's, it's part of the background-permanently.)
I do rotational play, which means every family must be played in order.
I like to watch the pixels do their thing-and I'm not just watching the ones in the house, either-there are others running about in the lot, and sometimes if I'm lucky, I'll catch them doing something silly. Enough to make the mod worth the time slow-down.
I need to make sure where the family's at, and what they're going to be doing (hopefully)..and in general just trying to enjoy the game-not 'super-fast forward' it to the end of the day. I take notes on the unusual happenings outside of the game just to keep track of what's going on.
Sure, some families are boring some days-but time passes, eventually. For those days, when a pixel isn't doing anything special, I'll send him to a community lot where he can do other things with other pixels that liven up the game.

scrumpleberry
20th Jul 2012, 12:11 AM
Depends on how many things I see that I need to makeover...that can take a good hour per house or garden and about 10 mins per sim...but actual gameplay no more than 20 minutes usually.

Saturnfly
20th Jul 2012, 12:26 AM
I usually play with big households, and there's usually always someone awake, so probably about half an hour to play 24 hours sim-time, that's because I pause a lot and take pictures.

Smaller houses, maybe 15 minutes.

dieKristina
20th Jul 2012, 12:26 AM
It really varies for me. Sometimes (like when there are age-transitions or important event) I take a lot of pics and give the sims new make-overs. Sometimes I give their houses a make-over. Sometimes I just pay extremely much attention to all kind of stuff they do. Sometimes I do all of these things while playing one family and sometimes I do nothing of it. I play in two-days-rotations and to complete two days in one family can probably take verything between 45 minutes and 3 hours, which means one day can take everything between 22,5 minutes and 1,5 hour. :)

Lollopisemis
20th Jul 2012, 9:52 PM
Maybe 10 minutes... I fast-forward a lot!

maxon
20th Jul 2012, 11:02 PM
I've never timed it and it does vary a lot (so the standard deviation for Little Carping families would be fairly wide) depending on the family. I can usually get through two-three families in a gaming session. I play 2-3 hours, maybe, at a time so that would seem to be about an hour on average though this session can include dropping into community lots with the sims or to do a spot of building/decorating or stopping time on the lot and adding some feature or buying stuff for the family. It would also include time off lot either at sim-owned businesses or out and about on community lots.

Selly_2009
20th Jul 2012, 11:15 PM
Depends on the household. A single employed sim will be the fastest at around 15-20 minutes, with time mainly on fast-forward. A family of four with all children at school will probably be about half an hour, whereas one with toddlers could take as long as three-quarters of an hour. A large household or one with plantsims and/or vampires involved can easily take a good hour or more. However, if I'm trying to take photos, a sim day will last as long as I need it to! If that's 3+ hours because I can't get the shots required, then so be it.

If I'm playing for fun and I'm not bothered about pictures, I'll use a sim-week for my rotation period. If it's for a story and I'm still determined to keep ages synced, then I drop the rotation period down to a single day (or two semesters if the sim is a college student). Either way, the rotation is manageable for the hood type. That way I can enjoy the more interesting households without neglecting the others - I know that when I've "ploughed through" on a family whom I find tedious I can move on to one that I don't. That way I can still get the satisfaction of knowing they're up-to-date and I won't have to visit them again for a while! ;)

Kristin76
21st Jul 2012, 4:19 AM
Usually I get a couple of days done in my daily play ... but then again I dont play unless I have at least 3-4 hours to spend time on it. I do fast foward through things like skill building and homework. But other than that I try to be careful as I often have things happen if I am not watching (fires, fights, etc) that I would like to see and possibly do something about if need be.

When I close my Sims down ... I always put them to bed first. So when I open their house up again they are all starting a fresh new day.

NaeShelle
21st Jul 2012, 6:55 AM
For one Sim day, it takes me a few hours. Mostly because I say I've completed one "day" when I've managed all of my rotations (currently 5), and, I have a notebook that I keep all of my Sim details in, meaning I'm constantly pausing to write when something happens. Though, I do play with fast-forward on quite a bit, as, for some of my families (*cough* The Nolan's *cough) not much happens, and, I really don't feel like watching them. It's too boring.

dinucits
21st Jul 2012, 12:07 PM
About 15 minutes, if it's a usual day. If something special (like a wedding or birthday) happens, I take snapshots and watch every little thing they're doing, so it takes me an hour then.

Katya Stevens
21st Jul 2012, 12:55 PM
For me, one sim day depends on what I'm doing. A family with two teens and one adult, all focused on skilling or building items? I can get through that in under ten minutes. A family with multiple babies/toddlers/children that need taking care of? A lot longer.

The most time I've spent on a particular household was a build a city challenge without the community lot hack: spend days at the business until they reach level 10 or the sim dips in to the green aspiration and can't use the reenergizer safely, then go back and play the house until the end of the rotation.