PDA

View Full Version : Geneticized Skintones & Eyes Revisited

lauratje86
11th Aug 2012, 7:48 PM
A couple of years ago I started this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=410657) about whether people use geneticized custom eyes and skins in their games, and whether they changed the Maxis genetic values for skin, hair and/or eyes to change it to something they felt make more sense.

That thread petered out a couple of years ago and I didn't want to resurrect it, but I would like to hear what the people who are active nowadays do as far as in-game genetics are concerned! So do tell - I find Sims 2 genetics fascinating and would love to hear how you've set it up in your game.

I'll get the ball rolling. I use non-barbie default replacements of the Maxis skintones with unchanged genetics values. Then I also use some of Lyran's skins and Purplepaws's Geneticized Maxis Match Skintones by Aqualectrix. I kept the genetic values assigned by Aqualectrix and assigned Lyran's skintones matching ones, as they seem to be me to be roughly equivalent to Purplepaws's ones. I gave Lyran's Ivory skin a value of 0.03, so it's the lightest skin I have. I also use a dark skin from Genensims, geneticized with a value of 0.98, which makes it the darkest skin I have. I have one sim with a skin that has a genetic value of 0, so that it is dominant to everything - the Genensims skin which is red for teen/adult/elder males and pink for youngsters and female sims. Not sure yet how, when or where I'll use it; I just think it's a cool idea :-)

For hair I changed the Maxis genetics values to make Black dominant over Brown and then Blonde and Red equally recessive to both of them. The genetics values are 1 for Black, 1.5 for Brown and 2 for Blonde and Red. So I only changed the Brown one. I feel that it makes more sense like that, as (in my mind at least!) if someone has a parent with black hair they tend to end up with black hair themselves.

I have quite a few custom eyes, and I completely changed the genetics values for the Maxis eyes too. See the list below for how eye colours work in my game :-) Eyes are basically more dominant the darker they are. The two eye colours by Kinemortophobia that I use are both very unusual, in my opinion, so I made them the most recessive so that they hardly ever get passed on.

Maxis Alien 1
Genensims Black 1
Lyran Coffee 1.5
Maxis Brown 1.5
Vidde Brown With Freckles 1.5
Lyran Hazel 2
Lyran Olive 2
Maxis Dark Blue 2.5
Vidde Dark Blue With Freckles 2.5
Maxis Light Blue 3
Lyran Army Green 3
Maxis Green 3
Vidde Green With Freckles 3
Maxis Grey 3
Lyran Leafy 3.5
Lyran Cloud 3.5
Kinemortophobia Aqua 4
Kinemortophobia Purple 4

So, that's what I do, how about you? :-D

Note: Lyran's stuff can be found here (http://www.lyran.net/ts2/). Aqualectix/Purplepaws's skintones can be found here (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=274668). The dark Genensims skin is the top one on this page (http://genensims.com/skins/standard_03.htm). The red/pink Genensims skin is towards the bottom on this page (http://genensims.com/skins/variant_03.htm). The Genensims black eye colour can be found here (http://genensims.com/eyes/variant_01.htm) - it's the darkest one from the fourth set from the top of the page. Kinemortophobia's eyes can be found here (http://kinemortophobia.livejournal.com/11716.html#cutid1).

ella_in_wonderland
11th Aug 2012, 8:39 PM
I love genetics!!
I use default replacements for just about everything: realistic skin recolours, eyes, hair. All the hair colours in my game are recessive so that there's more variety in my neighbourhood and it's more of a surprise when babies are born. I've also changed the genetic value of eye colours in the same way. Not very realistic, I know, but I like to keep my game simple and exciting.

SingleClawDesigns
11th Aug 2012, 9:39 PM
I try to find skins with about 10 to a set so I can realistically have one set at all the major intervals 5-90. I just use defaults for eyes because that way I can more or less track who got what instead of having to worry about genticized popping in I'm toying with the idea of making all eye and hair colors dominant so equal chance of all of them appearing because I get a lil tired of all my sims having black or brown hair. Which is odd for my playstyle because i have more black custom facial hair then anything and it doesnt get used unless the sim has black hair.

Currently i'm using my own defaulted/geneticized Lilith Peachy skintone, there was someone else who did it but I didn't like their setup.
10-pale dust
15 midday
20 light rose
30 base tone
40 sunkissed
50 beach
60 olive
70 sunheat
80 dusk
90 moonlit night

I'm pretty sure I set it up by RGB values I picked up in GIMP and went from lightest to darkest based on that. Or when in bodyshop they were in order from lightest to dark already and I switched around the first two, I can't remember. If I want to play with a bigger eyeset the only one I generally use is the Glockenspiel set from GOS Other then that I use my own defaulted set of Shady's Natural Beauty eyes. At one point I had Shady's entire eye collection geneticized but lost it somehow.

I still have to find the patience to do my big multi PT set....someday.

Katya Stevens
11th Aug 2012, 9:44 PM
Oof, well, I'll say that I'm not going to list the genetic values of the eyes I have because listing 90 eyes and their genetic values will make a very long and boring post. I use Nothing Like The Sun (http://www.digitalperversion.net/gardenofshadows/index.php?topic=18721.0) eyes geneticised to how I want, with values being either 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, or 4. The darker the eye colour the more dominant it is (so Midnight and Ocean are at value 1, while Nebula is at value 3, and Twilight is at value 4), and the really bright/unnatural ones are hella recessive and also de-townified.

I've also got a ton of skins I use, all geneticised according to a (slightly darker) EAxis scale based on the default replacements of the Candybars (http://yreenah.livejournal.com/7080.html) skin set (nude sims so NSFW).

I keep the hair default values as they are (I have enough with one family which seems to have nothing but black/brown haired sims, thank you very much).

maxon
11th Aug 2012, 10:06 PM
I have just counted and I have 99 skintones in my game. They are all in use or going to be used shortly with planned new sims for Little Carping. I'm not entirely sure how that happened but I do have a thing for the genetics system. All of them have been geneticised by me and all of them are 'non barbie' teen and up, as you have it. I've messed around with the files of most of them - adding details and features, adapting stuff for other bodyshapes (something I am keen on), very often adding male non-barbie skins and other ages where the original maker just did the adult female. I have to say, a skin has to be very special indeed nowadays for me to DL it if the skin isn't complete. It especially irks me that elders got missed out time and time again in the past. I have a range from .04 to .95. All hairs, eyes, facial hair has been geneticised too, usually by me but increasingly in recent years by the makers. I generally will not DL hairs without a grey option - I have made my own in the past: it's fairly easy to do by desaturating the colour and adjusting the light-dark ratios, but I won't do it now unless the hair is very exceptional. I think the maker is being lazy. I have altered my sims life lengths and they live now for 50 days as an adult so by the time they reach elder I genuinely consider them to be 75-80 anyway and I have no problem with grey hair. I generally delete the younger ages (toddler and child) with many hairs because I can't stand those hairs with an adult style on a toddler. Toddlers generally just don't have a full head of hair and neither do children. I think they look stupid with a scaled down version of their mother's hair. I haven't changed the order of the genetic strength of eye colours but, like you Laura, I have some unusual eyes (a red eye for my Albino sim and a violet) at 4. The genetics system is one of the best things about TS2.

grammapat
11th Aug 2012, 11:13 PM
LOVE IT! Besides default Maxis skins, I have lots of custom ones, both "human" and exotic. Once upon a time I could get Wardrobe Wrangler to work, and geneticised (sorry, can't figure out spelling) skins to my liking. PROBLEM is Wrangler doesn't work for me any more; tried re-downloading, and unable to find anyone to help. Told SimPE will do this, even found directions to do it on SimPE (which the program doesn't come with ?!) but I can't even figure out how to download it...gaa!

Wish I could find a place to ask questions; anyone HERE have any ideas?

SusannaG
12th Aug 2012, 12:32 AM
I haven't changed hair default values. I use Terrakosmos' face template replacements and CuriousB's Box Set eyes. Also a lot of geneticized and towniefied skintones by Lilith, Pooklet, Leh, PeachT, Trapping....

Counts skintones... uh, 105 of them, I think.

I have this CC addiction...

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 2:15 AM
I only have 15 skintones in my game , including default replacements for the Maxis ones. I'm starting to feel left out! :-P

Grammapat, I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Do you mean that you can't work out how to download SimPE? If so, go here (http://sims.ambertation.de/) and click on the link in the first post - it says http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=133134&filename=SimPe_0_73_44-QA.7z. When you click on that SimPE should automatically download and you can install it on to your computer.

SingleClawDesigns
12th Aug 2012, 2:22 AM
Don't feel left out, at one point i had over 200 in game with about 20 used in all. The lag is not worth it. I would've just used my defaults of the peachy set but I cant pass up the others being in there as well, even if children don't end up with either parents skintone.

The SimWhisperer
12th Aug 2012, 2:30 AM
I used to use Hairy Sims, I like chest hair on guys, but I lost those downloads, and only recently learned where I could find them again. They're Maxis Skin tones, but with chest hair, they're also anatomically correct for females. I might have to add Crammyboy's penis with it, just so I can even the score! :rofl: I've just discovered Lyran eyes, and at this time only use Maxis defaults.
I also have freckles, that I found here. They're under custom make up, so I can choose who gets them, rather than being genetic.

iCad
12th Aug 2012, 3:39 AM
I'M the one who feels left out, Laura. I've only got some Pooklet default replacements for the Maxis skintones, and two extra geneticized ones, one ultra-light and one somewhere between a 3 and 4. Plus, four different alien ones inherited from my multi-PT replacement. That's it. I...guess I'm just not really into skintones and don't need that many.

Like SimWhisperer, I also like hairy men, but I use overlays for that rather than skin tones. Same with face freckles, although I did have some heavily freckled skintones at one point, which I eventually deleted when they started showing up on kids whose parents had no freckles; that just seemed kind of odd to me, although I suppose it could happen in real life. I'm thinking I might redownload and re-geneticize them, though, to see if they work better. Because I kind of liked the all-over freckles, and I've never found an all-over overlay.

Eyes, however...I have far, FAR too many custom eyes. Too many to count. And I've geneticized/townified all of them, although my geneticization isn't what I'd call perfect. But it's good enough for my purposes. Generally, I do the same thing as Laura; the darker it is, the more dominant it is, with the funky unrealistic colors being practically impossible to inherit so that, in a sense, they almost function more like contact lenses.

Hair...I don't feel a need to mess with it too much. Worldwide, I believe that some shade of brown is actually the most common color. Truly black hair is hard to find, and occurs most often in folks of Asian stock, including Native Americans. Although it will dominate genetically, I think, hair color is actually not a simple genetic inheritance in real life, and it only takes a very little not-black input to create brown hair rather than black, just as it takes very little not-red or not-blond(e) to alter those colors into more of a brown continuum. I see that all the time in the Native American population around me. More of them have brown hair of various shades now than the black hair their ancestors had.

Katya Stevens
12th Aug 2012, 11:26 AM
To add in, I have 128 custom skins from various people: Peach-T, Trapping, Rensim, Enalya, and Jesstheex (plus some anti-shine makeup for some of the skintones). I also have an extra 50 alien (unnatural) shades which I have yet to use as I've yet to figure out how to implement them (non-townified and geneticised at 1.1, so they don't show up on randomly made sims or those born in game). Some skintones are probably geneticised a little oddly, giving sims a child who has a slightly darker skintone than either of them have (but then that can occur in real life: there are multiple skin genes and there have been mixed-race couples who've had children with really light and/or really dark skins compared to their parents).

I've got a mix from really light to really dark, and some skintones do have freckles on them, although I do also have freckle make-up which I can also use. Body hair I add on using an overlay box if and when I feel like it.

SingleClawDesigns
12th Aug 2012, 7:30 PM
That's something else I want to figure out. How to do an alien spectrum or do those skins geneticised at 100 and greater act like alien skins if you give the sims alien eyes in CAS?

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 7:38 PM
That's something else I want to figure out. How to do an alien spectrum or do those skins geneticised at 100 and greater act like alien skins if you give the sims alien eyes in CAS?

As far as I'm aware there is no way to do a separate alien spectrum in a game that also has normal skins on a spectrum. I've been trying to figure out how to do it so that normal skins go from 0.01 to 0.5 and alien skins from 0.51 to 0.99, for example, but I can't figure out how to make it work the way I'd like if alien-skinned sims breed with normal-skinned sims. I'm not sure it's even possible :-(

I'm not sure what you mean by the other half of your question, can you explain it a bit further to me?

SingleClawDesigns
12th Aug 2012, 7:53 PM
I was wondering aloud if just adding the unlocked alien eyes in CAS makes that sim an alien. SO theoretically if you have like a yellow skin at 1.00, a green skin at 1.50, and a red skin an 2.00 then you'd be able to have a red and yellow sim make a green sim who's an alien due to the alien eyes? So with a multi pt set you could have 8 colors and then colors in between geneticised to show up if two opposite colors are mated.

Hmm maybe Phaenoh could figure it out since she just made that whole skin thing work for normal skins.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 8:04 PM
I'm still not sure what you mean by "makes that sim an alien"? I think that all that differs for part-alien sims born in game is the fact that they have alien skin and eyes (usually) so I guess that if you made a sim in CAS who had alien skin and eyes they'd count as an alien?

I'm not sure if you can have alien skins with different genetic values though. Aren't they always set to 1 for pollination technicians? I thought that 1 was the highest you could go, and that having it set to 1 made it dominate all other skins (or be equally dominant with other skins set to 1). I've never really thought about it much.... Also, if you had a half-alien sim born from abduction their offspring can have normal skin, right? So you could end up with two alien abduction born sims breeding together and getting a sim with random normal skin?

Katya Stevens
12th Aug 2012, 8:13 PM
If the alien skintone is intended for use by a Pollination Technician, it needs to stay at a value of 0 (always dominant) otherwise it won't work properly. The reason you can get two sims born from abduction having a child with a normal skin is because they would both have a normal skin as their recessive (which seems for me to be the only time recessive skintones come in to play; the alien skintone can also be passed along as recessive and pop up at a later date).

The only thing I've seen which recognises alienism in any way is tunaisafish's turn ons/off modification which changes custom hair to alienism, but works only by reading the hex code value of the alien skintone (so if you had an 8-part multi-PT set but only one of those sims used the default skin, only sims born from that PT would register as alien according to the mod).

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 8:17 PM
If the alien skintone is intended for use by a Pollination Technician, it needs to stay at a value of 0 (always dominant) otherwise it won't work properly.

Aha! I knew my value of 1 didn't look right! :-D Of course it's 0, all really dominant things in this game are 0. I'm a muppet.....

I have one sim with a skin that has a genetic value of 0, so that it is dominant to everything - the Genensims skin which is red for teen/adult/elder males and pink for youngsters and female sims. Not sure yet how, when or where I'll use it; I just think it's a cool idea :-)

I just found this skin yesterday, though it was a cool idea and was wondering if there were any more like it, where teens-elders of one gender had a different skin colour to everyone else. And now one's just been uploaded here on MTS - Birth Queen Skin (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=480681) by esmeiolanthe! How cool is that!? :-D

maxon
12th Aug 2012, 10:21 PM
I have wondered about 'unnatural' skintones, if you have a range, about classing half of them between 0.01 and 0.09 (or 8) and the other half over .90 (or .95 or whatever, if you have darker skintones in the natural range). I was thinking about those people who have a full colour spectrum or all those lovely fantasy skintones made by ... what was her name? The reason I was thinking about it this way was that, put outside the 'normal' range, would mean that only sims whose parents were a pixie (or whatever) could have the chance of inheriting an unnatural skintone or, if they inherited a 'normal' one, they could have a chance of inheriting a range of skintones. The problem with classifying all your 'unnaturals' over 1.0 is that if you have a dark skinned sim interbreed, the skintone options for the children would be either their normal parents' skintone or a fantasy one. Hmmm - I dunno - maybe not so useful. It was just a stray thought. I never got around to introducing a fantasy cohort to Little Carping.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 10:36 PM
I have wondered about 'unnatural' skintones, if you have a range, about classing half of them between 0.01 and 0.09 (or 8) and the other half over .90 (or .95 or whatever, if you have darker skintones in the natural range). I was thinking about those people who have a full colour spectrum or all those lovely fantasy skintones made by ... what was her name? The reason I was thinking about it this way was that, put outside the 'normal' range, would mean that only sims whose parents were a pixie (or whatever) could have the chance of inheriting an unnatural skintone or, if they inherited a 'normal' one, they could have a chance of inheriting a range of skintones. The problem with classifying all your 'unnaturals' over 1.0 is that if you have a dark skinned sim interbreed, the skintone options for the children would be either their normal parents' skintone or a fantasy one. Hmmm - I dunno - maybe not so useful. It was just a stray thought. I never got around to introducing a fantasy cohort to Little Carping.

I hadn't thought of splitting up lighter and darker coloured fantasy skintones like that. Good idea. I shall ponder it further :-D

grammapat
14th Aug 2012, 8:29 PM
Laura: what I ment was that I read somewhere that downloading SipPE was via some special process; the web site says NOT to download to desk-top, but to a "working directory" (?) and more ??? The link you gave is the whole PE mass of stuff (with no directions re downloading). And even the directions in that package don't touch on genetics - although I found that ..somewhere.
I originally had it set up so one group of skins (some of them default fathers, from PT to the plant father) is in a range LESS than the Maxis 1., and the other group is MORE than the Maxis of 4. Then I have some "human" colors that fall WITHIN the Maxis range. Since I change the default sets, I leave PART of the CC package in the game, so that the removed default colors remain showing on sims with that color. The aliens on each side of the maxis ones can interbreed and get reasonable results, but they are NOT supposed to breed with aliens from the OTHER side of the maxis group; otherwise the ones with low genetic power (4.1 to 4.9) if breed to a powerful color (like .05) will MOSTLY have .05, but COULD have any (ugg human!) color in between.

For example, one of my favorite groups is what I call "frog"; the colors range from a deep muddy green to a human flesh color with just some green tinting. The frog colors are all more than 4., which makes them recessive. But then I made the flesh-green color 3.5 - hopeing to make it the color of a human/frog mating. Unfortunately, what this does (duh) is make any children of the 2 darkest (default replacement) colors have a possibility of having a greenish child! This is also an error I did on the dominant side of the maxis colors. Somewhere between "human colors" in the maxis 1. to 3. range, I have stuck a VIOLET skin! So now even humans can pop out an "alien" color! Many's the poor mom who had to give birth OVER & OVER until she had a normal child! And this is why I'm trying to revisit geneticising my colors (even if I STILL can't spell it- sorry!)

PS to Katya - "alien" (PT defaults) - or any other color, DON'T need to be at the most dominant #, & I would find it really boring to have only the ugly Maxis green-no-nose alien dominating any breeding!

maxon
15th Aug 2012, 2:08 AM
Grammapat you're confusing me a bit.

First of all, the SimPE link above is to the final build of SimPE which was the last QA build. It never got an installer put onto it and, as a consequence, you need to DL the zip file and extract the contents - just like you do with most CC - you can create the working directory when you do that. You can DL to the desktop just fine. It's just an archive file, like any other. OTOH, I put the extracted files and folders into my 'Working Sims' folder in My Documents. The easiest way to do it is just to move the file you DL to where you want to put the programme files and extract at that point. The extraction will create the working folder with all the files in it automatically. You then run the programme from the exe file in that set of folders. You can, if you like (and as I have done), create a shortcut for the exe which you can put on your desktop.

Secondly, when you're talking about geneticising skintones - you mention giving skintones genetic values like 3.5 and 4 (and that 'makes them recessive'). Well, two points. These values are more commonly associated with eyes and hairs and not skintones and skintones don't have a recessive value (except in the special case Katya mentions above - unless born-in-game sims carry a recessive skintone from their grandparents, Katya?). Skintones normally have values between 0.10 and 0.90 - the EAxis ones are:

Light 0.10
Tan 0.30
Medium 0.60
Dark 0.90

When sims interbreed, a child takes a skintone from between the range of tones it's parents have. For example, if you have a parent with a dark skintone (.90) and the other with a tan skintone (.30), the child can inherit either the dark skintone, the medium skintone or the tan skintone because each of these has a value within the range set by the parents. OTOH, the child cannot inherit the light skintone because the value for that is outside the range. It's not recessive, it's just not part of the equation.

The interesting and useful thing about skintones is that they can have any value from 0.01 to 9.99 (so you *can* have values of 3 and 4). If you have a lighter medium skintone, you can give it a value of 0.45, for example, and the child above would have a chance of inheriting that as well as the regular EAxis skintones.

You can also set other (ranges of) skintones, such as the fantasy ones Laura is talking about, in a range outside the 'normal' skintones. Hence, it was common to see a range of fantasy skintones between 1.00 and 1.99. This was the project that Madame Mim did over at Genensims. The problem occurs though with interbreeding between the two sets because if you have parents with a normal human dark skintone (0.90) and, say, a fantasy skintone with a value of 1.53, the only human skintone the child can inherit will be the dark .90 skintone (unless you have more custom skintones, usually darker still, with a higher value than that).

Anyway, that's how the skintone genetics work - basically the parents' skintones set a range and the child gets a skintone from within that range. There's no dominant/recessive for skintones like there is for eyes and hair.

lauratje86
15th Aug 2012, 2:14 AM
The interesting and useful thing about skintones is that they can have any value from 0.01 to 9.99 (so you *can* have values of 3 and 4).

I did not know that. One day that may be useful if I do decide to add more fantasy skintones, as my normal/human skintones already range from 0.05 - 0.98. I thought I'd have to regeneticize them to fit the fantasy ones in with values below 1. Thank you maxon! :-)

I think that, if I do add fantasy skintones, I may have to geneticise them between 1 and 2, say, and then if they have a baby with a normal-skinned sim roll a die to see which parent's skintone the baby will inherit and then change the baby's skintone using SimPE (possibly after it becomes a toddler). A pain, but I can't see another way of doing it that wouldn't bug me!

**EDIT** I don't think that born in-game sims have a recessive skintone - don't think I've ever seen a sim with different values in the skintone field in SimPE (possibly unless they're part-alien with the alien skin?).

maxon
15th Aug 2012, 2:23 AM
I did not know that. One day that may be useful if I do decide to add more fantasy skintones, as my normal/human skintones already range from 0.05 - 0.98. I thought I'd have to regeneticize them to fit the fantasy ones in with values below 1. Thank you maxon! :-)

I think that, if I do add fantasy skintones, I may have to geneticise them between 1 and 2, say, and then if they have a baby with a normal-skinned sim roll a die to see which parent's skintone the baby will inherit and then change the baby's skintone using SimPE (possibly after it becomes a toddler). A pain, but I can't see another way of doing it that wouldn't bug me!

**EDIT** I don't think that born in-game sims have a recessive skintone - don't think I've ever seen a sim with different values in the skintone field in SimPE (possibly unless they're part-alien with the alien skin?).
Yes, Katya mentions that above.

If you're interested in the idea of extending ranges, you might find it interesting to have a look at Mim's project pages. I remember when she was making those projects (I used to post on a board with her) and when she found out about the numbering range. And looking at that page again reminds me that the fantasy skintones I was whittering about and couldn't remember the name were those by Enalya. Nice work.

http://genensims.com/guest/MadameMim/skinsDewshine.htm

lauratje86
15th Aug 2012, 2:27 AM
Interesting! Thanks for the link maxon. Everyone seems to be linking useful stuff for me today :-)

I rather liked the idea that someone suggested in my old thread on genetics - to have the fantasy skins geneticised in a spectrum so that sims on each end of the spectrum could be at war with each other but still breed with neutral sims in the middle without ending up with babies who looked like the enemy! Shall have to have another look at that post and see if it helps me decide....

**EDIT** This (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3236533#post3236533) is the post I'm talking about - by mangaroo.

hweldon81
15th Aug 2012, 6:30 AM
My biggest pet peeve with the genetics is the hair system. I want black and blonde to create brown haired children!

In Vancouver there are many, many bi- and multi-racial families. Very rarely do a black haired parent and a blonde haired parent have either black or blonde haired children. They are almost always varying shades of brown, usually dark brown. I fix this by using the Pooklet colour that bins as black but shows up as dark brown (shrapnel?). If the kid comes out blonde (I have all colours equally dominant) then it's harder to find a blonde dark enough to be realistic. I wish I could adjust the colour heritability myself. I'd also have more separately binned colours, but that's another story.

If I could I would do:

black + blonde= 20% black, 80% brown
black + brown = 40% black, 60% brown
black + red = 25% black, 65% brown, 10% red (then the brown I chose would be a warmer, auburny one and the red would be a dark red)
blonde + brown = 80% brown, 20% blonde (utilizing both the dark blondes and the light browns as appropriate)
blonde + red = 50% blonde, 50% red (utilizing any strawberry blonde, or the lightest reds)

But sadly it's not possible.

M.M.A.A.
15th Aug 2012, 7:13 AM
My biggest pet peeve with the genetics is the hair system. I want black and blonde to create brown haired children!

That can only be done with sliders, which will be random (hopefully, we all know that the randomness in sims 2 is borked up), something like the sims 3 CAS sliders.

Also, I wish that we are bale to create more colours at different gradients and set them as defaults (not necessarily ingame), just like the brown, red, etc... We need brunette and auburn. We also need dark brown because the one ingame is really light in colour.

Katya Stevens
15th Aug 2012, 10:46 AM
These values are more commonly associated with eyes and hairs and not skintones and skintones don't have a recessive value (except in the special case Katya mentions above - unless born-in-game sims carry a recessive skintone from their grandparents, Katya?).

In my long experience of playing the sims, the only recessive skintones I have seen appearing is the alien skintone. I've had sims with dark skinned parents (themselves light skinned) marrying another light-skinned sim and none of their children getting any skintones beyond the boundaries of their parents' skintones (e.g. both sims are S1, and each have one parent with S1 and one with S4 skintones. They have children, and only get S1 skintone despite two of their grandparents being S4).

The interesting and useful thing about skintones is that they can have any value from 0.01 to 9.99

Actually, they can go even higher than 9.99 -- I downloaded a set of skins ages ago, and only when I realised that I'd gotten two approximately S4 skintone kids from two approximately S3 sims (and one approximately S1 skintone kid) that I looked back at the genetic values and found they had values from 10 to 90. One of the sims had a skintone of an approximate value of 75, so when he had kids with someone whose skintone value was approximate 0.6, that meant the children had the option of getting anything in that range, even an S1-esque skin. They all worked perfectly fine, they were just an order of magnitude off (meant to be 0.1 to 0.9 rather than 10 to 90).

maxon
15th Aug 2012, 1:05 PM
Actually, they can go even higher than 9.99 -- I downloaded a set of skins ages ago, and only when I realised that I'd gotten two approximately S4 skintone kids from two approximately S3 sims (and one approximately S1 skintone kid) that I looked back at the genetic values and found they had values from 10 to 90. One of the sims had a skintone of an approximate value of 75, so when he had kids with someone whose skintone value was approximate 0.6, that meant the children had the option of getting anything in that range, even an S1-esque skin. They all worked perfectly fine, they were just an order of magnitude off (meant to be 0.1 to 0.9 rather than 10 to 90).
Interesting - kind of weird how EAxis managed to avoid botching that one up.