PDA

View Full Version : Messed up genetics!

ella_in_wonderland
12th Aug 2012, 12:16 AM
I've been looking through some snapshots of my old game, when I was playing in Pleasantview, and I realised that my game's genetics were all wrong! I made Daniel Pleasant marry Kaylynn Langerak and they had a million kids, all of which had red hair like Daniel. According to TS2 genetics, shouldn't they have had black hair like Kaylynn? Angela & Lillith also have red hair (whilst M.S has black hair). Has Daniel Pleasant got some weird glitch and has anyone else experienced this, or stories similar to this? Or was my neighbourhood corrupt or something?

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 12:19 AM
I think Kaylynn is actually a blonde genetically. Her hair is just dyed black :-) Red and blonde are equally recessive so Kaylynn and Daniel could potentially have all red-haired offspring. Angela and Lilith have red hair because when EA made them they didn't do the genetics properly. If you download a fixed/clean version of Pleasantview, generally the creator will have given Mary-Sue a recessive gene for red hair, so that the twins' hair colour is actually possible....

SingleClawDesigns
12th Aug 2012, 12:20 AM
Maybe both kaylynn and daniel have dominant red genes? Do NPCS even have dominant/recessive since they don't have parents to draw genetics from to begin with? I can never get to the point where they have a baby so I have no idea if it's glitched or not.

Gazelove
12th Aug 2012, 2:27 AM
That's one confusing thing about sims genetics, their dominant/recessives might be different from what you see. Plus if you've used Simpe at any point to alter genetics, it's very easy to bork things without realizing it.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 2:32 AM
It's true that sims always have a recessive gene for hair colour and for eye colour which may or may not be the same as the dominant one that you can see. That's one of the reasons I love The Sims 2 though - I find the genetics fascinating and I love watching genes pass down and express (or not, if I look in SimPE) through the generations.

In this case, though, it's not about recessive genes. For Kaylynn it's because Maxis decided to make her a natural blonde but dye her hair black instead of just giving her genetically black hair, for some reason. Goodness knows why! Maybe they thought it would be funny to confuse players.... :-D Daniel, Mary-Sue and Kaylynn have recessives that are the same as their dominant genes, which makes Angela and Lilith's red hair impossible. If Daniel and Mary-Sue have more children in the original Maxis Pleasantview (not a clean/fixed version) they will always have black hair.

Hence why I play with fixed 'hoods if I want to play the premade neighbourhoods - Maxis just made so many "mistakes"!

Maybe both kaylynn and daniel have dominant red genes? Do NPCS even have dominant/recessive since they don't have parents to draw genetics from to begin with? I can never get to the point where they have a baby so I have no idea if it's glitched or not.

If you look in SimPE townies/NPC's do have a dominant gene for hair colour and eye colour (the one that you see) and a recessive one (that you don't see). However, they're both the same - i.e. both for black hair, or both for green eyes. So if a sim has a baby with a townie or NPC you know that they'll inherit the hair and eye colour that you see on the townie or NPC. There is an exception to that though - a few townies and NPC's have dyed hair, so they actually carry the genes for a different hair colour than the one shown. Kaylynn Langerak is one example - she seems to have black hair, but passes on a blonde gene. In my experience Phil Jitsukamol is another example - he appears to have blonde hair but actually has genes for red.....

MuletotheFoxxes
12th Aug 2012, 3:10 AM
The man maid Remington looks like he has black hair but has natural blond hair, and Sandy Bruty looks like she has blond hair but has natural red hair.

M.M.A.A.
12th Aug 2012, 3:12 AM
Red and blonde are equally recessive...

Are you sure? Because I thought red was stronger than blonde. I had Marisa marry a Prof. who, apparently, used to be a red head (he is an elder) and their child, after several (maybe 3, or or 5) quits and saves, always had red hair.

The only place I know of who does have extremely messed up genetics is Strangetown.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 3:20 AM
Are you sure? Because I thought red was stronger than blonde. I had Marisa marry a Prof. who, apparently, used to be a red head (he is an elder) and their child, after several (maybe 3, or or 5) quits and saves, always had red hair.

The only place I know of who does have extremely messed up genetics is Strangetown.

Red and blonde are equally recessive. In an unmodded game they both have a value of 2. Only 3 or 5 quits and retries isn't very many statistically speaking - if you'd kept going a blonde baby would've been born sooner or later! :-)

iCad
12th Aug 2012, 3:23 AM

I tend to think it's blond(e) that's the "stronger" of the recessive hair colors. Several times, I've had Andrea Hogan (Who is genetically blonde even though she shows with black hair) married to redheaded spouses. The last time she was the second wife of a redheaded founder. With his first (also redheaded) wife, all the kids were red, too. With Andrea, he had four more kids. Three were blond(e)s and one a redhead, which is actually a perfect 75%/25% Punnet square outcome for a simple homozygous dominant x homozygous recessive cross. Or, it could have just been coincidence. ;) But really, I've done a lot of blond(e) x red crosses in my time, and the blond(e)s always dominate. Maybe it's just randomness, though. *shrugs*

M.M.A.A.
12th Aug 2012, 3:24 AM
Red and blonde are equally recessive. In an unmodded game they both have a value of 2. Only 3 or 5 quits and retries isn't very many statistically speaking - if you'd kept going a blonde baby would've been born sooner or later! :-)

Well, I did want a red head, since boy got his mother's eyes, so I though it would be better to give him his father's hair.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 3:28 AM
As far as I can make out from looking at the genetics in SimPE and from reading stuff online, it is just a 50-50 chance. Red and blond both have the same code for dominance/recessiveness in an unmodded game (coded as 2). Black and brown are also equally dominant (coded as 1).

Randomness can be misleading, I guess! :-)

iCad
12th Aug 2012, 3:45 AM
Randomness can be misleading, I guess! :-)

It certainly can be! How else explain my huge long streak of girl-babies when it's supposed to be 50-50? :)

I'm almost thinking now that maybe I farted around with the blond(e)/red geneticizing, though, because blond(e)-over-red IS more consistently consistent for me, over a long period of time, than simple probability would usually allow. If I did adjust it, I don't remember doing it, but...Well, it's not as if I haven't done things that I don't remember doing before for *ahem* various reasons. :lol:

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 3:48 AM
It certainly can be! How else explain my huge long streak of girl-babies when it's supposed to be 50-50? :)

I'm almost thinking now that maybe I farted around with the blond(e)/red geneticizing, though, because blond(e)-over-red IS more consistently consistent for me, over a long period of time, than simple probability would usually allow. If I did adjust it, I don't remember doing it, but...Well, it's not as if I haven't done things that I don't remember doing before for *ahem* various reasons. :lol:

Indeed! Lots of players seem to find that they have streaks of one gender or another. I believe someone on here was recently very happy that their sims had finally had a girl.

I'm not sure if it's actually possible to make red slightly more dominant than blonde - either it would always be more dominant or have a 50-50 chance of red vs blonde, I think.... That's not taking recessives in to account, mind, so maybe you just have a lot of red-haired sims with blonde recessives or something?

Mootilda
12th Aug 2012, 3:55 AM
Yes, you can adjust whether one color is more or less dominant. The standard is that dominant genes have a "genetic" value of 1 and recessive have a value of 2.

If you want both blond and red to be recessive, but for red to be the more dominant of those, then set red to 2 and blond to 3.

iCad
12th Aug 2012, 3:55 AM
I'm not sure if it's actually possible to make red slightly more dominant than blonde - either it would always be more dominant or have a 50-50 chance of red vs blonde, I think.... That's not taking recessives in to account, mind, so maybe you just have a lot of red-haired sims with blonde recessives or something?

That's possible, yes. I confess that I don't really keep track of who might have what recessive, other than I DO like to conserve my redheads, so to speak...which is why the fact that I end up with more blond(e)s annoys me! :lol: So, yeah, that could be the cause. Maybe I should start keeping better track and seeing if that is, indeed, what's actually happening...

As for the babies. Mine ALWAYS go in streaks, pretty much. I had an entire generation of all girls, about 50 babies. Except for one male, alien baby. Then I got a few boys and was happy. Now...Now we're back to girls again and have been for a while. Maybe my game is telling me that I need more lesbians? :lol:

julmoo
12th Aug 2012, 4:20 AM
I think the Maxis hoods are generally REALLY messed up genetically.

lauratje86
12th Aug 2012, 5:04 AM
Yes, you can adjust whether one color is more or less dominant. The standard is that dominant genes have a "genetic" value of 1 and recessive have a value of 2.

If you want both blond and red to be recessive, but for red to be the more dominant of those, then set red to 2 and blond to 3.

I know that you can adjust the dominance values of hair - I did it myself to make brown less dominant than black but more dominant than red and blond - but if you changed the red value to 3 blond would be dominant over it to the extent that a red-haired sim and a blonde sim would always have blonde babies, right? Or is there a way to set it so that blond is more likely than red but it's still possible to get red, like iCad and I were talking about?

As for the babies. Mine ALWAYS go in streaks, pretty much. I had an entire generation of all girls, about 50 babies. Except for one male, alien baby. Then I got a few boys and was happy. Now...Now we're back to girls again and have been for a while. Maybe my game is telling me that I need more lesbians? :lol:

Lots more lesbians, apparently! :-D

SusannaG
12th Aug 2012, 6:34 AM
I know I was very happy yesterday when one of my sim families had the first boy born in the neighborhood. Yeah, streaks can be random, too.

Aegagropilon
12th Aug 2012, 6:44 AM
Spotting the dye-jobs is a lot easier in the later-made neighborhoods and in the sims added by expansions because their hair is a different color than their eyebrows.

julmoo
12th Aug 2012, 7:14 AM
Why did they decide to give them dyejobs anyway?

It seems kind of redundant to me...