PDA

View Full Version : How to create cellars, read here.

Yuurei
20th Mar 2005, 2:43 PM
Hey all, I'm not sure if anyone made already such a tutorial, so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I made an easy to follow tutorial about how to create a cellar in 9 easy steps, thus adding another floor level. You can read the tutorial here: http://kitana.freesuperhost.com/cellar/cellar1.html

Happy building :anime:

Nick'sHunny
20th Mar 2005, 3:07 PM
Wouldn't a cellar be like a basement?

sims2guy2
20th Mar 2005, 3:08 PM
Yes, it would. We know how to make basements already, it's easy. But this may be helpful to the Simmers who dn't know.

dancer6sim
17th Aug 2005, 5:48 AM
Wow, thanks for that, my brother tried it with all the steps and it came out nicely :D

dragonfly2004
17th Aug 2005, 6:33 AM
Yuurei, this is a well done tutorial. For absolute beginners this would be the easiest basement (cellar) tutorial to understand.
There ARE more complete tutorials, but none as clear as this.

Jabberjahz_XXX
17th Aug 2005, 6:51 AM
This is the easiest cellar tutorial that I have ever seen. I was able to make my first cellar!

MissOliverWood
17th Aug 2005, 7:32 AM
Cheers, thanks! =) Off to give it a try now!

shadowSpyder
21st Aug 2005, 11:47 AM
im blond, and I'm a noob lol, and I even understood that.

Great job!

tyty
30th Aug 2005, 2:45 PM
i'm german and i understand this
very nice!

Whoopie
30th Aug 2005, 2:58 PM
Thanks, its realy the easiest tutorial i've seen for a cellar good job....
btw i've counted the clicks...a wall is 16 clicks up or down :)

metalfenix
6th Sep 2005, 8:16 PM
Hmm, good tut!! and is easy to understand. I'll try this when I return home! Finally I'll have my own dungeon basement... :devil:

jacciinatl
7th Sep 2005, 9:00 PM
Thanks, its realy the easiest tutorial i've seen for a cellar good job....
btw i've counted the clicks...a wall is 16 clicks up or down :)

Hmmm 16 didn't work for me, 12 did and I figured out how to make windows and doors on the basement (cellar) level too. Thanks so much for this great tut.

cyto
14th Sep 2005, 11:00 PM
I know another way to be sure about the height of the floor: choose a paint or tile wall covering, anything with a clear separation from stairs to stairs, put it once on the foundation. The tile repeat itself infinitely or so into the ground. Dig until you can see the hole design, be careful not to show the next repetition, it works perfectly!
Besides, this tutorial will have helped me greatly back then, it is perfect for beginners.

Jay1982
23rd Sep 2005, 9:53 PM
I just read, the tuturial, but I cant get it to work... No matter how deep i dig, it always show the message "covered by floortile"... I even digged all the way to the bottom, with no luck... Is there any of you, who can measure how deep, you actually have digged?? (press shift+alt to show)

CECER1
25th Sep 2005, 1:08 AM
I just read, the tuturial, but I cant get it to work... No matter how deep i dig, it always show the message "covered by floortile"... I even digged all the way to the bottom, with no luck... Is there any of you, who can measure how deep, you actually have digged?? (press shift+alt to show)

i get the same prob. anyone got help?

niol
25th Sep 2005, 9:07 AM
Jay1982 & CECER1,

Whoopie had already stated the depth is 16-click from the above messages. It is the minimum height for sims accessment, and in another words, it's good to be >16 when every click addition for the depth is a multiple of 4 till you reach the lot size limit, but never < 16 unless you can mod TS2 so. So, It's a must unless the cellars you're making are solely for decorations non-functional to sims.

jacciinatl saying 12-clicks probably means that jacciinatl based the house on foundation while counting the depth from the ground rather than from the foundation.

also, due to the similarities of cellars and basements, you can find more clues from basement tutorials. The tutorial listing and Mikeinside are 2 sources.

BebopCowGirl
25th Sep 2005, 7:29 PM
in reference to what you said about not being able to dig the right amount, you should make just one square of brick foundation, then get some paint that has a strip of white, or any color on the bottom of it(kickmolding?). Just keep digging until you reach the strip at the bottom of the painted 'wall' & that will be the right amount of digging done.

bratt_sniper
29th Sep 2005, 1:52 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I needed this!

helloanni
1st Oct 2005, 4:54 PM
First of all, thanks for your tutorial,Yuurei!
I finally built a cellar but when I try to put doors in, it always says
"location out of bounds"!
But I need doors in the cellar-walls because I want to build kind of a split-level house with one entrance through the cellar (hope you understand what I mean by that) I once saw a house like that, so I'm sure it can be done - I just don't know how yet.
Can anyone help me with this, please?

niol
1st Oct 2005, 7:02 PM
helloanni ,

There are 2 rows of grids reserved unbuildable for each side edge.

I'm unsure what your situation really is. Can you post at least a pic to depict where your problem is? This can help willing helpers to have a better idea on your problem.

Your in-game screenshot can be found in a folder called "storytelling", or search "Storytelling" or "screenshot", then you'll get to the folder normally. By checking the shots, you'll known which ones you look for.

helloanni
2nd Oct 2005, 7:59 PM
thanks niol,
but I didn't try to build on those two rows of grids (even if the error message would suggest so)
Perhaps this pic will help ...

PlayBoyBunny882
3rd Oct 2005, 6:09 AM
Hey all, I'm not sure if anyone made already such a tutorial, so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I made an easy to follow tutorial about how to create a cellar in 9 easy steps, thus adding another floor level. You can read the tutorial here: http://kitana.freesuperhost.com/cellar/cellar1.html

i just wanted to know can u put ne windows in ur cellar?

PlayBoyBunny882
3rd Oct 2005, 6:10 AM
can u put windows in ur cellar

niol
3rd Oct 2005, 12:55 PM
Hi helloanni & all,

Ensure the foundation wall is at least 16-click high (in terms of terrain tools) or a floor high (coz your sims need that height to get access).

You can try to place doors and windows on the foundation walls with the moveobject cheat.
1. press "C-Ctrl-Shift" to get the cheat box.
2. type in "moveobjects on" and "enter".
3. place your doors and windows to the foundation walls. (don't worry if they don't show up or are immersed into the walls. They will show up once you save it or reload the lot)
4. now get the cheat box out to disable the cheat after placing your doors and windows.
5. type in "moveobjects off" and "enter".
You're done...

These doors and windows on foundation walls are functional.

If you want default walls for windows and doors, it's easier to build those wall segments before you build the foundation. However, you can

Update: :duck:
I guess I was thinking in a dead end :P. Niol was being brain-dead for something at the time, and now he was shot-dead...by himself! :skull:

1. Just delete the foundation blocks at the location of where you're going to place the doors and windows, and then build the default walls there.
2. if the foundation is not exactly 16-click-high, press "C-Ctrl-Shift" to get the cheat box and type in "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false".
3. try to get a plain grid/square above the new default wall(s) by building diagonal walls around the new default walls.
4. either level from the default walls to the other parts of foundations (remember to use undo when getting in an undesired point.) or vice versa, yet the former is more susgested to avoid the glitch on extended walls with doors or windows.
5. press "C-Ctrl-Shift" to get the cheat box and type in "boolprop constrainfloorelevation true".
6. delete the extra wall segments.

That should be the simplest way. So, from now on, the lower approach is just like an additional challenging way. :moose:

1. delete the foundation side where the windows and doors will be on. (to build he default walls!)
2. build only the wall segments for your doors and windows (be aware, NOT a side of wall).
3. add an additional default wall a grid from the wall segments, and the length should be at least the same as the foundation. (to help fixate the upper grids)
4. tiling the upper level with 2 grids extended out for the side you place the doors and windows. (to fixate the upper grids)
5. build back the deleted part of the foundation with "Ctrl-delete" the foundation and then "left-mouse-click". (to undo the deletion of a foundation)
6. Now, you can delete the extended tiling on the upper level. (its function is done.)
7. Also delete the additional default wall a grid from the wall segments. (its function is done.)
You're done with the wall conversion.

It you don't understand the special terms used here, you can learn them from the linked tutorial.

If wanna learn more about foundation wall, you can read this tutorial: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=87464

helloanni
3rd Oct 2005, 3:35 PM
Thank you so much, niol!
I had tried it with the moveobjects cheat but as it looked so weird with the doors vanishing into the wall I just thought something was wrong. But if they really show up right and will even be usable when I reload the game - there's nothing more to worry about!
I really didn't get the second part but I guess that won't be important if everything works as you explain it? Anyway, I'll try your tutorial ...

niol
4th Oct 2005, 3:07 PM
helloanni,

The second part is just the second option.
If your're satisfied with the first part (the first option), it's unnecessary to read or do the second part... Nor need you read the tutorial I've linked here... The tutorial is just mainly for references especially for the second option.

millzieme
9th Oct 2005, 9:05 PM
how do u actualy get in the cellar it wont lemme in!!

niol
10th Oct 2005, 4:35 AM
millzieme & all,

The first method I provided is only for one layer of foundation wall as in helloanni's screenshot, but not for 2 layers. There's no way to have sims to pass through the 2 layers yet. You may want to convert it into singly-layered with the tricks suggested in the foundation tutorial, but yes, it's more work then... So, before building the double-layered foundation walls, reserve the spaces for the default walls where the doors will be on. This's already the best approach.

The second method is a replacement of the foundation with default walls.

Melstorm
17th Oct 2005, 12:31 AM
This is sooOOoo cool. I'm going to try this right now. Thanks for an easy tutorial!! :)

*edited for spelling*

simsfanatic420
18th Oct 2005, 5:16 AM
Good basic tutorial for basements. :beer:
Personally I have found the easiest way to get the proper depth for the basement is to put 3 sets of steps (not the staircase) going into the ground from the ground level (not the foundation level). From the flat space now infront of the bottom step you would just level that out part way, remove the steps, then finish leveling until you have the size you want. All my houses have basements and "hidden" rooms under the decks and I have found this the fastest way to get the proper depth.

Revenge_Fist
28th Oct 2005, 8:52 PM
:sadpanda: what do you mean by steps?

Star Ranger4
28th Oct 2005, 9:26 PM
Hmmm 16 didn't work for me, 12 did and I figured out how to make windows and doors on the basement (cellar) level too. Thanks so much for this great tut.

Probobly because the foundation adds 4 height 'ticks' to ground level, Jacciinatl. This then creates the condition where you only have to lower the ground to -12 ticks because the flooring at the foundation level is at +4 (-12 to +4 = 16)

:sadpanda: what do you mean by steps?

He means the 'Adaptive Stairs tool' which allows you to create stairs of any length. Its the one right under the main stairs tool in build mode/stair where the Icon only has like 3 steps... And again, the reason 3 works is because of the whole 'foundation adds 4 height ticks to Groundlevel' plus 'full walls need a clearance of 16 height ticks'

Revenge_Fist
27th Oct 2005, 10:31 PM
yeh ok thanks :salute:

niol
10th Nov 2005, 9:08 PM
Lol sorry for my turning into a dead end on the foundation doors and windows suggestions :P
Now updated to state out the more convinient way indicated with "Update"

Update:
Some foundation or basement tutorials or info threads related links:

CERuppel
Better basements
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=60917

MikeInside
mikeInside's Basement Tutorials
http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/building/basements/index.html
Multi-Level Basements.
http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/building/multibasement/index.html

nyaren
Advanced Basement Tutorial
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=664&search=1&asset_type=story&key=basement&order=UPDATE_DATE+desc&nrows=5&storyCat=&locality=&country=&view=feature
Basement Tutorial
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=503&search=1&asset_type=story&key=basement&order=UPDATE_DATE+desc&nrows=5&storyCat=&locality=&country=&view=feature

plasticbox
Cheap trick: Using foundation walls in place of real ones
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=113202
Observations on basements
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=113189

Yuurei
How to create cellars, read here.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52319

cutiehana1989
4th Dec 2005, 3:15 PM
hiya i was woundering how 2 do dat thnks loads!! :D

rent-a-sim
5th Dec 2005, 3:48 PM
That tutorial was so east to understand! I am definitely going to try it out abnd see if i can even make a double basement! If I do i will post again and tell if it's a success! Thanks a million for the great tutorial, it's just what i need!

Reyn
6th Dec 2005, 1:23 AM
The easiest way to get the proper depth for a celler inside of a foundation is to put in three sets of modular stairs (default is four stairs = 4 clicks), then erase them and level from lowest point.

You can also use normal walls for a basement, then join them to a foundation of the right height - again the ground needs to be up 12 clicks from the base of the wall, since foundation is four clicks.

Phoenix06
6th Dec 2005, 3:19 PM
I want make a deep cellar...By the way,thanks.....:)

Phoenix06
6th Dec 2005, 3:21 PM
Hey niol..Can I burried someone down there?? :D

punkkid00
13th Dec 2005, 5:06 AM
thanks ive been trying to do that and couldnt figure out how

Phoenix06
13th Dec 2005, 9:22 AM
Thanks man:)

TheLady061
15th Dec 2005, 5:34 PM
Hi, That was great! I learned something new. Thank you.

vampiree143
15th Dec 2005, 5:47 PM

I tried your version but found that if i eliminated the removing the middle and just went down a level it worked better

hope this helps some people.

the_violet_lynxx
15th Dec 2005, 9:12 PM
Thanks! This will be super helpful; now if I can just figure out dormers...

Maz_Moukhubi
17th Dec 2005, 9:05 PM
Thank you it went out great!

woodytky
18th Dec 2005, 11:47 AM
Great Work!! I;v tryed making a celler for ages!!! Top dog!!!

niol
23rd Dec 2005, 8:04 PM
damato88,

The answer is already stated on post 16.

Red Cedar
28th Dec 2005, 4:41 PM
mmmmmm. Cellar. Thanks for all the cellar tuts here. Every time i made a cellar, it was a disaster, not anymore. :hippy:

XGhostX
29th Dec 2005, 4:02 PM
Awesome tutorial.

Even though I had been playing the thing for a long time, I actually learned something new!

purplebookworm2
31st Dec 2005, 6:42 PM
thank you :D that' s nice and easy to use.. now I feel like going and building one :P

Kristen59
1st Jan 2006, 7:16 AM
Nice job. I already new how to make a cellar/basement but this is a good and easy tutorial to understand.

emo_sarah
1st Jan 2006, 4:43 PM
Thankyou!!! This Is Amazing!

Stjarnfisken
2nd Jan 2006, 4:13 PM
Thanks alot for this help. Have tried to make a cellar before but it has never worked... so thanks!!! :-)

mrc0de
3rd Jan 2006, 4:25 AM
I saw something about locking doors and such a while back in a sims 1 mod forum.... this would be awesome to have a phat padlock on the cellar so the girlscouts cant get out... i mean.. umm... :sorry:

C00k1e
4th Jan 2006, 4:07 PM
I've made basements before, but they always were too small. I tried that, and I could get it right. Thanks!

:duck:
C00k1e

Simsluvr1972
8th Jan 2006, 3:27 AM

really cool thanks :salute:

Phoslo
10th Jan 2006, 7:22 PM
Awesome!

You know what?... I've tryed it a couple of times before, but it never came out this easy and nice...

I have made some sort of a cellar, in wich there is a swimming pool, although it isn't that deep, its like half-wall deep... Nice idea!... now i have a room where to put all my garbage i don't want to get rid of LOL!

Mimiwilliams789
10th Jan 2006, 9:53 PM
thanx. i made a real good cellar! xxx

pamelf
18th Jan 2006, 7:44 AM
That was a really fantastic tute. Thanks dude!

BrittanyGoodwin
20th Jan 2006, 8:26 PM
thanks for the cellar instructions :deal:

they look like they will work REALLY well. :wowsers:

i am going to go try it now! :sprint:

:elephant: ~Brittany~ :elephant:

samtylr89
2nd Feb 2006, 10:12 PM
omg im not im so dumb lmao i understood it but i read wot ppl was writing and sum of them was saying tut and i thought it was tut as in a disapointing tut bt it means tutorial lmao im so dumb

alterboy
10th Feb 2006, 7:32 PM
I found that incredibly helpful. Thanks.

sim2veteran
17th Feb 2006, 6:40 AM
in reference to what you said about not being able to dig the right amount, you should make just one square of brick foundation, then get some paint that has a strip of white, or any color on the bottom of it(kickmolding?). Just keep digging until you reach the strip at the bottom of the painted 'wall' & that will be the right amount of digging done.

:joy: Thank you very much as I could not get it to let me build a wall, but this technique worked perfect!!! :joy:

gantz4u
17th Feb 2006, 11:09 AM
thanx.....heres a TIP tho..... IF YOUR WALLS LOOK GOOD AS FAR AS HOLE DEPTH....BUT THE FLOOR LOOKS WAY TOO HIGH.... THE WALL IS RIGHT...I FILLED IN THE
TILES THAT LOOKED GOOD..AND THE ONES THAT LOOKED WRONG DROPPED DOWN
TO THE ACCEPTABLE LEVEL... hope that is stated clearly and is helpful..thanx 4 the excelent tutorial

eagle_flames
4th Mar 2006, 9:50 PM
omg, that is so cool it WAS the EASIEST tutorial and it worked. yipeee
lol

Simslave
22nd Mar 2006, 4:44 PM
thanks yoorei! until now my basements have been bland little one room things with the foundation wall as walls. This is awsome! :beer: :nod:

The Hof
23rd Mar 2006, 4:32 AM
Thanks. I used this tutorial to make a bunker-like home. It's totally underground except for the entrance

purpledaddy98
29th Mar 2006, 3:02 AM
Looks neat and doable for a newcomer like myself. Pardon the additional newcomer question, but is this strictly for new lots or can this be done on ones being lived in w/out wrecking things up?

niol
29th Mar 2006, 8:33 AM
Looks neat and doable for a newcomer like myself. Pardon the additional newcomer question, but is this strictly for new lots or can this be done on ones being lived in w/out wrecking things up?

If your building is on a foundation, quitely likely you can do so, then just follow this tutorial to do so. If not, the opposite. That's because, the basement still takes at least a level to form unless until the day Maxis would provide a built-in basement tool, or someone finally can mod into the wall and foundation or pool tool settings along with the UI to get the underground levels available...

xWithoutU
30th Mar 2006, 11:14 PM
Do you have to build the cellar beside the house or underneath the first floor like a basement?

niol
31st Mar 2006, 6:26 AM
This tutorialis is about building the basement type of cellar.

Napsterfrog
3rd Apr 2006, 9:42 PM
I can't make a cellar! How do you "delete foundation"?? Please tell me!! :(:(

niol
4th Apr 2006, 7:44 AM
Select the matching foundation tool and press-hold the "ctrl" key, use the tselected tool to delete the region you want.

SimGuy30000
14th Apr 2006, 3:22 PM
thanxs 4 the guied :)

dave23040
27th Apr 2006, 4:35 PM
ye it top i gonna give it a go

dave23040
27th Apr 2006, 4:36 PM
ye it top i gonna give it a go

Inyasha fan
1st May 2006, 3:33 AM
Thank you Yuurei i made one and it looks GREAT!!! :)
I love the celler. :lovestruc

brettore
4th May 2006, 12:58 AM
ITZ A BASMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

betterANDbetter
12th May 2006, 5:55 PM
thx yuurei for a 9 step tutorial

camelia937
14th May 2006, 5:48 PM
thats gr8 thx im new so i didnt really no how to make basements or cellars :)
thats really helped me make this story i was going to write :rolleyes: :p

princessofna
15th May 2006, 10:55 PM
Thank you. I am incapable of figuring this out on my own, and this really helped. Very simple :)

Dwayne Pheonix
20th May 2006, 9:18 PM
hhm.. the link to the tutorial doesn't work..

Can anyone help me out here?

niol
21st May 2006, 11:38 AM
Dwayne Pheonix

I just teested the link and it's working.

May try again...

Dwayne Pheonix
21st May 2006, 2:55 PM
Oh yeah, now it works.

Thanks, that tutorial is really good!

Ghost sdoj
23rd May 2006, 1:34 PM
(Actually Ghost here, Sidney is my husband)
I always went into the connecting stairs and placed one directly on the ground. Then I added another at the bottom of the first one, and another at the bottom of that one. Then I deleted the 3 stairs, went into level terrain, and placed the cursor at the lowest point of the hole my stairs dug. (The spot that would have been the bottom landing of the last stair.) Level everything to that point, then build a narrow foundation wall around your hole. A hole 3 stairs deep is exactly right.(I discovered this while trying to build an indoor pool)

Apriltini
8th Jun 2006, 7:43 AM
Great tutorial, and finally an answer to the problem that's bedeviled me for two days-why I can't build walls in my basement: it wasn't deep enough. My frustration is gone. :)

siman880
14th Jun 2006, 11:10 PM
there are two ways of making basements. i suggest the using stairs and the leveling tool.

noanos
22nd Jun 2006, 4:46 AM
This is a nice & easy tutorial. It works perfectly fine too. Thanks :)

MarianeSimms
26th Jun 2006, 9:47 AM
This is much easier than the way I used to make basements. Thank you for that. A lot.

Jmaster3265
7th Jul 2006, 11:23 PM
Yes, it would. We know how to make basements already, it's easy. But this may be helpful to the Simmers who dn't know.

Whats the diff between this and the basement tutorial. And no not all of us know how to make a basement. Well i do prob i jsut nvr made one. :D

lil-kisses_xx
11th Jul 2006, 9:55 PM
isn't a cellar a basement. I thought that was almost how you make a basement.
I liked it though great pictures and easy to read and do.

emogameplyr0513
14th Jul 2006, 3:49 AM
Difference between celar and basement please?

niol
14th Jul 2006, 7:42 AM
Whether it's called a cellar or a basement or what, this tutorial can already tell a way to do a particular build feature, right? As long as we can learn the method to do that build feature, any other problem(s)?

How about let's save the spaces for those who need help, who can give out more suggestions, who can provide more infos, who wanna thank the author, who wanna comment on the tutorial, or else...?
:)

hibriPlay
15th Jul 2006, 4:11 AM
ok like please tell me what is the point is this i ned help i don't no how to do anything i need help were do youi go to build were is everything I NEED HELP HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aniram2010
25th Jul 2006, 2:49 AM
:turtle: hey thanks soooooooooooooo much for that i have read at least 5 other ones on how to make a celler but this i acutually understood thanks agin :lovestruc

niol
25th Jul 2006, 4:59 AM
hibriPlay,

I don't understand the "point" you're seeking when you don't tell... May use a pic or a plan to show.
May also tell which step in which tutorial you feel stuck, or barely someone may be able to help answer.
Wanna give it a go?

marcos94
28th Jul 2006, 3:50 PM
nice one i really liked!

Rainyen
29th Jul 2006, 6:43 PM
*clings!* thanks :) I've been trying to figure that out for weeks now -_- lol

Yaviewen
1st Aug 2006, 12:16 AM
Thank you so much for this! I had read several tutorials before but I wasn't able to understand them... I'm going to try it now, but I'm sure it will work this time!!

baron19
2nd Aug 2006, 1:17 PM

Thmx for the tutorial have you got any more of them i would love to see them i have only just started palying the sims 2 but have got all the expansions apart from family stuff cheers ant

emif
2nd Aug 2006, 8:03 PM
The tutorial is very helpful.

However, I have a question. Is there anyway to make a multi-story cellar? I am trying to make a house mostly underground and I would if multiple stories are possible.

Thank you so much.

niol
2nd Aug 2006, 8:22 PM
emif

May read Mikeinside's Multi-Level Basements.

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Aug 2006, 4:40 PM
Thanks For This

TapijtGeit
14th Aug 2006, 6:14 PM
Thanks, easy tutorial :). Now just figure out how to make nice clothing and objects and I can make the perfect home with the perfect sims :D .

P.S. I'm new in stuff creating in The Sims 2.

diabla42002
27th Aug 2006, 5:22 AM
i can acctually build a basement now! OH THIS IS AWESOME! i've wanted to build one forever. i can't thank you enough

:gjob: :lovestruc :anime:

pitcherphil
3rd Sep 2006, 8:00 AM
Hi thanks for posting this tutorial it is sooo good and i hope to use it ALOT!!!

enjey32
9th Sep 2006, 8:45 AM
I had been brain storming how to create a cellar and had done it like this tutorial. this is quite an easy way, it took me quite a long time to figure out how to do it. I had a downside to building a cellar that you cant build a garage that is connecting the building. thats the only thing, but besides its great. Oh and did anyone check if you could make more stories down, like two story basement?

niol
9th Sep 2006, 5:41 PM
By MikeInside -- MultiLevel Basement

May check out the following for more tutorials
Community Tutorial Listing
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Build Mode Tutorials
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126

Build Mode Community Resources Listing -- NOW AVAILABLE
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost.php?p=1043800&postcount=5

PlyYangzee
25th Sep 2006, 7:46 PM
hey!

thanks for this turial, I'm new to building, *whistles in disgrace* I've had the game a year and a half! I just look through the bin. But now I see how much fun it is I'm definatley going to do it. Thanks for your help!

:D

ssandman
29th Sep 2006, 11:37 PM
Hey is There a Printable version?

jill2sim
18th Oct 2006, 1:04 AM
cool :!: very easy to understand, A Big Thanks :!: :rofl:

zarrion101
18th Oct 2006, 6:54 PM
Great tutorial, going to see if it works for me now. :D

anotherbiffname
22nd Oct 2006, 8:31 PM
That was very simple to do thank you on this tuturial

spoon646
13th Nov 2006, 8:41 PM
Wicked!!!! I chose Spoon as my nickname and i had the attention and skill to do it!!
:alarm:----------------------Sheep In The Area!!!!

:pint: :pint: :beer: :sheep:

Tucsoncoyote
19th Nov 2006, 1:39 PM
Tucsoncoyote here (digging Like Crazy..)

I understand the logic of using stairs to get the right depth but I'm trying to work on a Multilevel basement for a large Community Building, and I've read Insidemike's Multi-level basement Tutorial, and I am curious as to if you can build a multilevel basement that is level with the top ground (according to the tutorial the deeper you dig the higher the foundation will be.. (but wouldn't 12 stairs make 4 basement /Cellar levels deep and be level with the top of ground? So at that point wouldn't a stairway or a foundation edget wouldn't be used? (in short you should be able to lay a Flat Floor right on top of all the Basements and not have a problem..(and since I am also using OFB and the elevators it should be that you could theoretically get a 4 story cellar.

Of course I've not had much success.. (I'm good at single basements but I am having problems trying to make a level floor on top of a set of multiple basements. (So I am wondering has anyone successfully built this type of basement/cellar structure?

(One final thing.. how deep can you dig down on say a 6 x 6 lot? there probably is a limit..)

Tucsoncoyote--still digging for answers.

niol
19th Nov 2006, 3:49 PM
Tucsoncoyote,

"still digging for answers" is good attitude to work on something.
Normally, it take 4 smallest units of connecting/modular stairs to make up a 16-click-high sims floor which is composed of only one level/story of room.
May read Jonesi's tutorial about it,
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=110440

The reason why somewhere in this thread suggested to dig down 12-clicks probably with 3 smallest units of connecting/modular stairs is simply because the foundation is already 4-click high. Thus, their combination will be 16 click- high for a level/story of room. It can be >16 click though.

If you want a shorter asement, you're making a basement floor with more than one level/story of rooms without tiling in-between for the sims-accessment. Then, you can have a room about 9 to 10 click high...
8-click will have your sims hit their heads against the roof! I've tried that painfully... :P

Tucsoncoyote
20th Nov 2006, 1:16 AM
Tucsoncoyote here--

Well Niol, I'm trying to dig a deeper basement (I am working on this idea for a business (which is actually a front for a Law enforcement / Spy agency) that has under the building a full 3 level complex (the 4th level is just a regular basement). and then of course on top of that a 1 to 2 level business.

but I am just curious as to know how deep you can go.. I mean when you think about it, there's 4 basement levels, then a 1-2 story building on this.. (and considering It's a large business, well I've been trying to see if it is possible to create considering that the game now has a 5 level limit (though i have heard that with a certain cheat you can get a 9 level building..

but that's what I am trying to do.. build a 6 level building in a 6 x 6 lot..

but what are the rules/theories for building such a building?

Tucsoncoyote--

niol
20th Nov 2006, 7:08 AM
Tucsoncoyote ,

May read this to learn hoe to get >5 levels/stories,
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=204590

Tucsoncoyote
2nd Dec 2006, 2:23 AM
Okay well I am having problems understanding how to build the outer walls for the building (I got a rough shell started with the full 5 levels (and the connecting elevator to the lower levels) but I am wondering how I would make this so that it would be accessible to the sims in the game.. :faceslap:

I was just wondering if I could finish up the "Shell" and have someone look at it and Suggest what to do to build this the right way (I understand the idea behind the Multi-level basement, and in the end, I'm understanding how to do this, but it's a bit of strain visualizing what to do..(PS I'm using the boolProp constrainFloorElevation False Cheat as well as the SetHighestAllowedLevel (Number) cheat..)

but if anyone wants to help me figure this out, could someone just PM me Please? Thank you for your time.

Tucsoncoyote

niol
2nd Dec 2006, 3:04 AM
Tucsoncoyote,

I see, You'll neYet, you cn ed the same number of level as compressed/dummy levels on the ground. yet, you can try to reduce the external wall height down with this tutorial.
Tutorial on Wall Height Reduction Under 4 Clicks
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=190663

Try take some trials to see how much you can reduce or these levels. Then, plan the depth of your underground building before doing your real lot to avoid mess-up in the trials. or do that with copies.

Good lucks...

Just one thing to remember, the staircase and the lift/elevator need a full level of 16-click to work.

boolProp constrainFloorElevation False is used to deform the walls or twist the floor surface... :)
THe latter cheat you mentioned is to enable more levels dependent onthe value you input.

TrevorKidd
5th Dec 2006, 1:26 AM
Im having trouble whenever i try and make stairs it says "Ceiling To High" any help?

patul
5th Dec 2006, 7:26 AM
Hi,
If you tried with conventional stairs it is normal !
- your floor on basement is not tiled
- your basement have not the required 16 clicks heigth.
for the second way, up ground under a basement tile at maximal, flatten at this level then build 3 uccessive modular stairs, remove stairs and flatten at the lower level=> you will be at 16 clicks to buid stairs, elevators and walls.
:)

niol
5th Dec 2006, 4:12 PM
TrevorKidd,

Typical staircases have a fixated height which is normally counted as 16-click-high.
If your basement is deeper than that, you'll need connecting/modular stairs... Yet, try to keep it as a multiple of 4-click deep to increase your chance of getting the connecting/modular stairs to work out.

Tucsoncoyote
10th Dec 2006, 8:52 AM
Well Niol, wouldn't the same hold true for Elevators (considering they are 16 clicks deep as well, (in fact this is part of the problem I am having trying to build that multi-level basement building (since there is a five story tall elevator in one part of the building (but one of the levels isn't connected by a Elevator but rather a flight of stairs (or modular stairs--This would be the "Real basement"). but all other levels are connected by the elevator shaft.

so then my question is how do you build a foundation or a flooring system that has this 5 level deep basement using just an elevator for each level . (I've been having some success but not complete success on this one as it seems when I try to go deeper then 3 levels the outer walls tend to mess up.

so anythoughts on this?

Tucsoncoyote--

patul
10th Dec 2006, 10:41 AM
hi tucson,
I did a batman mansion one year ago (dont remind the name...start of alzheimer :lol:),
it have 4 levels.
Build a complete basement, high the ground above to the maximum heigth allowed, remove the center of this basement,
dig a hole : 4 modular stairs for each level from the basement => 16 stairs (because modular stairs have a minimal heigth of 4 clix)
from the bottom build walls 1 square from the basement. You cant put your elevators or stairs without any problem.

mogbog123
12th Dec 2006, 4:07 AM
i get the same prob. anyone got help?

put 3 conectiong staris on the ground in the basement (make it so it goes deeper every set of stairs) then remove the stairs and level from the bottom of the hole where your stairs where :cool:

niol
12th Dec 2006, 7:09 AM
Tucsoncoyote,
if it's exactly 5-floored, then you may expect the normal highes height above the ground level will be 20 clicks (4clicks x 5 levels), unless you use V1ND1CARE's Tutorial on Wall Height Reduction Under 4 Clicks http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=190663
Surely, you'll have to do your simple maths to calculate how much deeper you'll need in order to make the ground floor looks like the way you want. So, a plan is probably necessary.

Yet, one thing for sure is that, for your lift/elevator to work out, it can't placed at region(s) of unlevelled grids (including thoe untiled.) So, try to build your lift/elevator at least 1 grid away from the ground floor walls. That one grid distance is for the twisting of 5 levels of grid layers... :D

After all, you'll still at least a unit of connecting/modular stairs (4-click-high) to connect the 5th level down to the ground. Maybe, making it look like a highened split level for the ground floor can be a nice compromise. so the highest floor of the lift/elevator should be on the higher split for the connecting/modular stairs to work out.

This's definitely a challenging building. So, hold on and I believe you'll get there.

wadhah
16th Dec 2006, 5:08 PM
thanks man it's soooo easy

Zorsha
28th Dec 2006, 6:25 AM
Excellent! I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time..thanx!

alessiae65
29th Dec 2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much !
this tutorial is very useful for me !!

Rostigalen
12th Jan 2007, 12:00 PM
im blond, and I'm a noob lol, and I even understood that.

Great job!

Just like shadowSpyder said, I am blond, I suck at the Sims, and it was so easy. Thank you a lot!

MaureenH
14th Jan 2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks so much!! I've tried everything to build a basement, and NOTHING was working for me!!! This is great, and so easy to follow your tutorial! Well done.

dboy123p
11th Feb 2007, 11:22 PM
I've been playing the game since i was in kindergarden on my free time when im sick or extra bored and i can't go out side and all this time i've never known how to make a basment thnx for the info and no no 1 has made such a totorial i'd know.they were very helpful steps and esay to follow too i'll only have truble remembering the steps

Mother Sim
12th Feb 2007, 1:52 PM
My cellars are flooded! when i log into my lots with cellars they all have "water" in them just above floor height! All blue and I can barely see the floortiles underneath.
I installed Pets but other than that nothing i can think of.

Does anyone get the same problem?

MoSi

niol
13th Feb 2007, 8:23 AM
Mother Sim,

may read these threads.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107988
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=198261

kkoeppic
22nd Feb 2007, 5:44 PM
This is the best basement tutorial I have ever read. I was always turned off from trying because it seemed so complicated. I am so happy you posted this! :rofl:

Yuurei
28th Feb 2007, 2:51 AM
I still haven't quite figured out the number of the height at which the walls work and when you need to dig deeper, but the number is always between 12 and 16. So far, it seems that it takes more clicks when the basement is on base level and less when it's on higher ground (as in a house on a hill for example). Can anyone confirm?

niol
28th Feb 2007, 2:25 PM
If the foundation is 4-click-high/4-step-high,
at least 12 clicks are necessary because a sims-accessible floor takes at least 16 clicks to work.

Yuurei
9th Mar 2007, 5:16 AM
Tutorial is available again. It was offline the past 8 days because of server issues. Sorry for the inconvenience.

BeautifulDogma
31st Mar 2007, 9:14 PM
Thank you! =D

I have been trying to figure out how to do this and I couldn't do it! LoL

Silly me. ^^;

pinksoda90
2nd Apr 2007, 3:59 AM
dont worry BeautifulDogma i had the same problem!!
i've had this game for years and have never felt the need to build a basement until a few days ago then was left wondering how to do it seeing as the game didnt help!!
but thanks do the tutorial i now have a great basement/cellar!!
thanks!!

Deadbeat 007
12th Apr 2007, 9:56 PM
I followed the tutorial exactly, but it's not working. I laid the foundation down and have attempted to lay down the walls anywhere from 12 - 16 clicks, but I still get the error message. Did I miss a step?

Thanks,
the dunce

niol
13th Apr 2007, 5:50 PM
Deadbeat 007,

If you're using the TS1-type of completely static staircase, exactly 12-click-down the ground is necessary.

If you're using the connecting/modular stairs (in the same stair section but lower icons), probably with the cheat "moveobejct on", they'll work for whatever number >3 steps up to the lot size limit. So, 12-16 click deep for the ground ill work for them.

Deadbeat 007
13th Apr 2007, 7:19 PM
Thank you! I'll try that.

Jynxthehobbit
29th Apr 2007, 8:30 PM
Thank you SO much for this tutorial! I was in need of one to tell me how I could do this because I am to be making a dungeon soon for a story! I'm so glad I ran across it! *Squee* :lovestruc

:jest: ~JyNxY~ :jest:

gillbz
23rd Jul 2007, 5:18 PM
Thank you so much, this is very usefull. Such an easy guide too :).

HazelTheNewt
6th Oct 2007, 5:51 PM
thanks, everyone.
i just built my first basement!

luvalphvle
10th Oct 2007, 12:53 AM
I read somewhere on here that the easiest way to determine a basement's correct depth is by placing modular stairs. Place your first set, then place your second set at the landing of the first, and the third set at the landing of the second. The landing of the third set of stairs is exactly the correct depth. Now delete your stairs and use your level terrain tool to lower the entire floor.

I've tried a few techniques and this always works for me. It's easier than counting clicks!

xdkx89
17th Oct 2007, 4:10 AM
i wasnt sure how to do this, thanks alot :king:

jmeyers655
9th May 2008, 6:48 AM
The link to this tutorial is no longer valid.

zinubes
27th Mar 2009, 1:50 AM
:!: Hey all, I'm not sure if anyone made already such a tutorial, so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I made an easy to follow tutorial about how to create a cellar in 9 easy steps, thus adding another floor level. You can read the tutorial here: http://kitana.freesuperhost.com/cellar/cellar1.html

Happy building :anime: :alarm: :alarm: :!: umm link dose not work it says Please come back in the begining of Dec to this page. It is curently not available. WTH THIS IS NOTHING IT SHOULD BE FOR ALL THE MONTHS NOT JUST DEC WTH!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?

zinubes
27th Mar 2009, 1:52 AM
The link to this tutorial is no longer valid. dang right it is i hate that if i could rate this comment of yours it would be 5/5 i just replyed to the guy

Grub
26th Jul 2009, 1:45 AM
Link's broken :(
Especially frustrating when all the comments before it broke were "BEST TUTORIAL EVAR" "EASIEST IN TEH UNIVERSE" etc etc

HeidrunH
14th Apr 2013, 2:15 PM
The link doesn't work... it leads to a site called '100webads.com'... Can I find this anywhere else?

Mootilda
14th Apr 2013, 8:49 PM
How about using the Wayback Machine?
http://web.archive.org/web/20051231030443/http://kitana.freesuperhost.com/cellar/cellar1.html