PDA

View Full Version : What traits do you barely ever use?

Emerald1234
28th Dec 2017, 11:18 AM
for me its dislike children and vehicle enthusiast what about you?

cameranutz2
28th Dec 2017, 12:15 PM
klepto, insane, vitruoso

TheSweetToddler
28th Dec 2017, 12:20 PM
Insane, evil, hates the outdoors, vegetarian, supernatural fan... and more.

Emerald1234
28th Dec 2017, 12:27 PM
klepto, insane, vitruoso

funnyily enough those are the ones i use a lot,apart from the skanky traits

tunafishfish
28th Dec 2017, 1:14 PM
Hates Art, Clumsy, Absent Minded, No Sense of Humor (I did have a sim with this trait once and I had so much fun playing her! She was a maid who also had Neat and Unflirty. She gained so much satisfaction from cleaning and was so damn earnest. It really amused me when she would get hit on and decide to use the "bore to death" interaction.)

AngieMFAK77
28th Dec 2017, 4:26 PM
I know some people say there are BAD traits they don't like and I have to agree, but like Tunafishfish pointed out, these traits you wouldn't normally pick are a LOT of fun to watch. Another one would be the Piggy trait on dogs. Watching them eat and stuff - so funny. The slob trait on humans can be quite funny, especially when they time their rudeness right. Two sims talking one was slob, one was flirty I think. Had convo - slob burps in flirty's face, flirty goes "MMM Hmmm" and puts hand on hip in a sexy pose like they really appreciated that burp! I died.

CatMuto
28th Dec 2017, 4:27 PM
Vehicle Enthusiast. Hydrophobic. No Sense of Humor. Grumpy.
The last three I have had occur through randomized traits in my families and I hated them. Hydrophobic makes them complain about showering, No Sense of Humor is weird to me because it seems... weird to just not have one... and Grumpy just has this stupid, high chance of waking up with a bad moodlet.

SusannaG
28th Dec 2017, 4:31 PM
In normal play: Absent-minded (because it drives me nuts), Hydrophobic (ditto) and Hates Children (because they're going to raise them, because I said so).

A few (like the above, plus things like Vehicle Enthusiast) I only use when doing an Asylum challenge.

Nocriel
28th Dec 2017, 4:34 PM
I just looked through the list and the only traits I barely ever use are Can't Stand Art (that's a really stupid trait), Great Kisser, and Born Sales(wo)man. The last one just because it's been a while since I used the consignment store... I might try that one out.
I actually like the negative/useless traits for creating characters.

Karlissa
28th Dec 2017, 4:43 PM
Looking through the traits I hardly ever use Schmoozer, Rebellious, Gatherer, Nurturing, Perceptive, Photographer's Eye, Heavy Sleeper, Light Sleeper, Never Nude, Born Salesperson, Commitment Issues, Easily Impressed, Mooch, Great Kisser and Technophobe... wow maybe I should use some of these for a later sim

Emmett Brown
28th Dec 2017, 5:32 PM
The only bad trait is the trait that doesn't affect gameplay much.

Spamaccount
28th Dec 2017, 7:23 PM
I don't use most of the Ambitions traits much, Born Sales(wo)man, Eccentric, or Savvy Sculptor. The most amount of sims I have with one of those traits is 5, whereas some of my most overused ones have about 25 different sims with the trait. It's the same for Proper, Brooding and Supernatural Skeptic/Fan, or Loves the Cold/Heat, and Avant-Garde. I like some of them, but a lot of the expansion traits feel underdeveloped. For the base game the only trait I never use much is Never Nude, though Slob and Insane are both rarely assigned too.

armyangel93
28th Dec 2017, 7:38 PM
Absent-minded, vehicle enthusiast, insane. Insane and inappropriate both drive me nuts because of the clothing changes but it is still kinda fun to have applied randomly to a sim in the family. Absent-minded I just hate because it seems like the only thing it does it fuck up my queued actions. Unflirty is another one I don't personally use.

I really, really like klepto. I sometimes make an insane sim a kleptomaniac, with a bunch of other odd or imo unlikable traits and end up having a pretty fun time.

A_Visionary
28th Dec 2017, 7:52 PM
I haven't used: Absent-minded, Vehicle Enthusiast, Born Salesperson, Can't Stand Art, Technophobe, Never Nude, Hydrophobic, Perceptive, Photographer's Eye, No Sense of Humor, and Diva. Some of them don't make sense so I don't bother with them.

igazor
28th Dec 2017, 10:51 PM
Avant Garde, Diva - Just get over yourselves already.
Never Nude - Well...ditto, really.
Unstable - Got enough of that to deal with IRL.

Absent-Minded - I actually like this one but only in very small doses.

Not understanding all the hatred for Can't Stand Art. It's a perfect trait to go along with Hates the Outdoors for a Street Artist. If you like a challenge, that is, in much the same way that Dislikes Children is perfect for those in the Education career. :cool:

Macaroodle
29th Dec 2017, 12:42 AM
Boring/Pointless: Heavy Sleeper, Light Sleeper, Vehicle Enthusiast, Never Nude, Loves to Swim, Born Sales(wo)man (I hardly ever use the consignment stores).
Annoying: Absent-Minded- I only use this if I'm basing a sim off of a fictional character that has that as part of their personality.
Boring AND annoying: Hydrophobic.
Gross: Slob. If there was an anti-passing gas hack I'd use that, but a brief Google search says no.
Only if I'm giving them a certain career: Perceptive, Natural Born Performer, Star Quality.
Conflicts with my style of gameplay: Dislikes Children, Commitment Issues, Hates the Outdoors (although I will use these three very occasionally), Can't Stand Art- I heard sometimes that clutter counts as art. I'll decorate the way I want to, thank you! Also, Inappropriate- huge homewrecker trait! It breaks up couples when I'm not around to stop it. This is the only one I've officially banned from my towns.

Cheezey
29th Dec 2017, 1:07 AM
Unstable, because I don't like my sims' traits changing. Even when I'm playing a game where I'm using the randomize feature to get traits for variety, I'll re-roll that one.

I don't like using ones that are too skill or action specific, like savvy sculptor or born salesman, since I don't feel like they add much personality to a sim. Vehicle enthusiast is another filler one I don't see a point to.

I agree with what others have said about "bad" traits making fun sims. I prefer to give most of my sims at least one negative or quirky trait just so they aren't too dull to play.

nitromon
29th Dec 2017, 1:08 AM
Insane is one I cannot stand. I think it is because of my OCD. You show up to a formal event, you better be wearing formal clothes. And no swimming or working out in tuxes!

Other than that... same as inappropriate, botfan (oh this one ... b/c you can't change the NPC back!), never nude (no showering with clothes on!), klepto, vehicle enthus, technophobe....

Elynda
29th Dec 2017, 1:14 AM
Quite often, when I'm making a family of sims, I use the random button to choose their traits and I allow myself to change one (and only one) if its something I can't work with. That would include things like Loner, Unstable and Technophobe. That last one I particularly dislike - I mean, in many ways you could call me a technophobe, but here I am sitting in front of a computer, and I've even been known to watch TV if there's anything decent on.

As well as that the only time I've ever deliberately used the Hydrophobic trait is for a sim who's supposed to be a human/feline hybrid, so it sort of fits.:

These are two combinations of traits I will be wary of using in the same household in future:

LILLIAN FORDYCE: No sense of humour, Good, Proper, Snob, Mean Spirited.

CRESSIDA FORDYCE: Good sense of Humour, Adventurous, Virtuoso, Vehicle Enthusiast, Mean spirited.

These two are mother and daughter, and I just cannot leave them alone together! They are continually at each other's throats. When she was a teen Cressida spent most of the time booby trapping the house and being bawled at by Lillian over it - it has frequently come to blows. I thought when she aged up she'd mellow a bit, but nope, she's still at it. I've found it impossible to keep those two on friendly terms.

Simsdestroyer
29th Dec 2017, 1:43 AM
Proper, Vehicle Enthusiast, Hydrophobic, and Technophobe.

tunafishfish
29th Dec 2017, 2:40 AM
The last three I have had occur through randomized traits in my families and I hated them. Hydrophobic makes them complain about showering, No Sense of Humor is weird to me because it seems... weird to just not have one... and Grumpy just has this stupid, high chance of waking up with a bad moodlet.

I love grumpy sims! I love that they just wake up out of sorts and how much self-control to go through your day feeling upset and out of sorts and not pick a fight with anyone and be polite to the checkout girl. I've had a few grumpy sims and they're always my favorite because they're not uniformly happy all the time. It's not even that big of a negative hit, I just make sure their homes are well decorated and they achieve their goals and they're not any less successful than any others.

Himiko Hayley
29th Dec 2017, 3:36 AM
what? i get that a lot of the traits may be pointless but those are a lot! lol

but i mostly only not play with ambitions traits too. however i love having no sense of humor, avant garde, evil, diva, unflirty, etc mentioned. it creates so much funny situations in my game! but i guess i'm okay with it because i have a lot of sims that i don't mind some useless traits.

Moondragon007
29th Dec 2017, 8:00 AM

That's weird - one of mine has hydrophobic (randomized), and he prefers showering over bathing. Maybe cos bathing seems too much like swimming.

When I'm making a sim in CAS, I like to give them one negative trait, for realism.

floopyboo
29th Dec 2017, 8:42 AM
Vehicle Enthusaist. Because the way it's implemented is downright creepy.

Natrocity
29th Dec 2017, 10:11 AM
I like to make a lot of evil and innapropiate Sims so I don't typically use friendly or good. Bookworm is annoying because I don't want to watch my sim reading all day which they will do if I add bookshelves to my lot regardless of their traits. Plus the animation for reading is stiff. I wouldn't mind reading if the poses and animation were more relaxed and natural looking.
As for other traits if they only add moodlets or pump up skill I don't use them.

simgamer18955
29th Dec 2017, 8:43 PM
I rarely use Grumpy, Couch Potato, and Insane.

Emmett Brown
30th Dec 2017, 4:34 AM
I rarely use Grumpy, Couch Potato, and Insane.
I make sims that represent friends and family members. People I know. I use those traits a lot.

blyneliaivel
30th Dec 2017, 11:26 AM
I never use :
•kleptomaniac;
•no sense of humour;
•mean spirited;
•photographer's eye;
•savvy sculptor;
•slob;
•technophobe;

Mordecai and Rigby
30th Dec 2017, 12:30 PM
Unflirty, never nude, hates children, can't stand art, childish, inappropriate, insane, no sense of humor, supernatural skeptic, technophobe, hydrophobic

Seriously though what's the point of never nude

igazor
30th Dec 2017, 1:11 PM
They could have at least coupled it with Likes to do Laundry, since these sims must apparently have a never-ending supply of outfits. And maybe given us a counterpart, like Hates Clothes?

annoellyn
30th Dec 2017, 3:07 PM
i never use hates outdoors - because even if you hate outdoors i'm pretty sure just going to and from the car is fine. i hate the techophobe only because no other sim in the house can watch tv without giving him a negative moodlet.

simsample
30th Dec 2017, 3:14 PM
I don't think there's necessarily a point; it was created specifically for Gobias Koffi as an Arrested Development reference.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Gobias_Koffi

enable_llamas
30th Dec 2017, 3:35 PM
They could have at least coupled it with Likes to do Laundry, since these sims must apparently have a never-ending supply of outfits. And maybe given us a counterpart, like Hates Clothes?
I think I might actually have a (very well) hidden 'Hates Clothes' trait in my game given how much my sims like to wander off buck naked after showering :giggler:

ZenGarden
30th Dec 2017, 5:49 PM
Hates art - who does? Honestly! There is an art for everyone

Couch potato - ofcourse working out and being active isn’t for everyone, but I refuse having my sims just sit home and watch TV unless they are old and deserve some peace

Brave - barely a trait

Hates the supernatural - so unnecessary unless you play a very specific story

Never nude - I just dont get the concept of being alone at home and taking a bath in a swimsuit. Being naked is awesome, even if you dont love your body

SneakyWingPhoenix
30th Dec 2017, 8:36 PM
Never nude is fun. I really wonder If there are people like that in our real world (in which I do have expectations that there are).

igazor
31st Dec 2017, 3:27 AM
I think I might actually have a (very well) hidden 'Hates Clothes' trait in my game given how much my sims like to wander off buck naked after showering :giggler:
That's a display/timing glitch. The sim isn't really naked in the sense that they don't see themselves that way nor does anyone else around them. They only look that way to us, the players, when it happens. As a contrast, look what happens when a sim goes streaking (Uni EP) around others, everyone who notices does see them that way leading them to gasp and clutch their pearls in horror. And scream, even. (how insulting!)

That the after shower glitch was never fixed suggests perhaps that there are or were some EA developers who have the Hates Clothes trait, hidden or otherwise, and maybe they chose to leave it in on purpose. :)

Mordecai and Rigby
31st Dec 2017, 5:10 AM

Now there's a trait I would use ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

SneakyWingPhoenix
31st Dec 2017, 8:32 AM
Hates Clothing: These streakers will always be turned on by sims that are nude and will never get uncomfortable walking into a preoccupied bathroom. They also tend to disagree and argue with Never Nude sims, and they will do get embarrassed when walking into and witnessing one (never nude sim) bathing. Hates clothing sims also have an easier time building a romantic relationship while skinny dipping with a partner.

And yeah, not to mention of course, the new clothing category exclusively unlock as an interaction to "Change into... Nude" .

igazor
31st Dec 2017, 8:53 AM
Hates Clothing: These streakers will always be turned on by sims that are nude and will never get uncomfortable walking into a preoccupied bathroom. They also tend to disagree and argue with Never Nude sims, and they will do get embarrassed when walking into and witnessing one (never nude sim) bathing. Hates clothing sims also have an easier time building a romantic relationship while skinny dipping with a partner.
I think you may have something there. May I add...

Sims who Hate Clothing may Rant About Fabric and stage Protests against Polyester (sorry for the forced alliteration) at City Hall and in front of finer clothing stores everywhere.

SneakyWingPhoenix
31st Dec 2017, 9:35 AM
They could also get mad (that animation that makes sim burst into anger with a shout) when a laundry machine is in their vicinity, since it has a relation with clothing. Better yet, dressers perhaps? I might be overthinking.

Though, honestly that would a dope trait If there we're the tools for modders to create it, like with TS4....

Or are there?

igazor
31st Dec 2017, 10:03 AM
Custom TS3 traits? Ouch. Not counting the ones that are frozen and locked into AwesomeMod's custom core loader, there's a total of one that I know of that shouldn't be used on Patches above 1.57 and another one that does work on current patch levels. A while back Arsil designed a custom trait loader without the core mod requirement and provided a 73-step instruction guide on how to use it so players can design their own traits. Could be mistaken, but as far I know no one has ever been able to follow it fully. I would call it a currently stalled work in development.

SneakyWingPhoenix
31st Dec 2017, 10:18 AM
That's unfortunate.

Emmett Brown
31st Dec 2017, 6:23 PM
Custom TS3 traits? Ouch. Not counting the ones that are frozen and locked into AwesomeMod's custom core loader, there's a total of one that I know of that shouldn't be used on Patches above 1.57 and another one that does work on current patch levels. A while back Arsil designed a custom trait loader without the core mod requirement and provided a 73-step instruction guide on how to use it so players can design their own traits. Could be mistaken, but as far I know no one has ever been able to follow it fully. I would call it a currently stalled work in development.
I was looking at Arsil's Custom Trait Manager... very impressive. It is limited to the existing EA world of interactions tho', isn't it? It's like an ITUN mod but it uses the new trait. I think it's a filter to deny or allow interactions that are allowed by other EA traits and maybe allow different moodlets. I'm not sure what I'd do with it... maybe an evil genius trait that combines all the genius stuff with all the evil stuff except "scare". OR combine evil and grumpy. Maybe a trait where a sim never says no to woohoo.

Arsil's Japanese Culture Trait mod actually adds new interactions and animations. It's very impressive - C# dll file, animations, Jazz scripts, XML Tuning files, ITUN files, OBJK and OBJD files I've only heard of and an MGMP file that I have no idea... A great deal goes into making a such a mod.

AngieMFAK77
31st Dec 2017, 7:17 PM
Insane or inappropriate as well as Proper are three I always avoid mainly because they ruin my 5 hours in CAS I spent with them to look like that. I don't want you changing to outfits that suit YOUR mood/weird personality! Who is the god player here?

HCAC
31st Dec 2017, 7:48 PM
Heavy sleeper, light sleeper (useless filler in my opinion), insane, loser, I don't like making them losers or insane. Hates children seems to have potential if you want conflict with the cranky neighbor who wants to chase off your kids but I don't know if that works.

Elynda
31st Dec 2017, 10:26 PM
I made a Little Orphan Annie sim once and had her living in a house with a Miss Hannigan sim, who of course had the hates children trait. In spite of that they ended up as best friends (with a little encouragement from me) and I felt rather guilty about having Annie go and live with Oliver Warbucks. I was trying to be faithful to the story you see, otherwise I'd have had Hannigan move in with them.

simgamer18955
1st Jan 2018, 1:04 AM
I believe the never nude trait is a reference to Tobias from Arrested Development. He didn't like being naked what so ever. I guess the devs put this trait in as sort of a joke.

igazor
1st Jan 2018, 1:13 AM
Arsil's Japanese Culture Trait mod actually adds new interactions and animations. It's very impressive - C# dll file, animations, Jazz scripts, XML Tuning files, ITUN files, OBJK and OBJD files I've only heard of and an MGMP file that I have no idea... A great deal goes into making a such a mod.
That's the one custom trait I was referring to that does work on current patch levels, although I neglected to mention it by name.

The one fully released that does not was SimsMX's Hypochondriac trait. It used to work properly, but unfortunately he dropped out while the patches were still rolling out and it was left not updated.

rockergirllee
1st Jan 2018, 1:58 AM

Funilly enough, Im scared of water (I still shower but, hate it) so I dont mind the hydropobic trait) and I like no sense of humor. Mainly cause I never understand jokes.

So those are the traits I like.

I dont care for the grumpy trait though. That and supernatural skeptic are the ones I dont care for.

Hate when sims get it by randomized traits.

blyneliaivel
2nd Jan 2018, 11:37 PM
Never nude is fun. I really wonder If there are people like that in our real world (in which I do have expectations that there are).
Here,I am perfect specimen of "never nude" trait in real life. I go swimming with clothes,I go to shower with bathing suit.It is not normal,but who said that I am? :)

GrijzePilion
3rd Jan 2018, 12:02 AM
I find myself rarely using any of the non-BG traits. And even then, only a few of them. In fact, there's a very short list of traits I'll have used more than once.
Friendly, flirty, hopeless romantic, computer whiz, ambitious, athletic, workaholic, genius, and probably one or two more at most.

Emmett Brown
3rd Jan 2018, 1:36 AM
I knew a girl who turned me down for a date because I drove a VW Bus. She was going out with a guy with an MG, and said that was as low as she would go. I had no idea there were people who were "vehicle enthusiast". I traded the VW Bus to these Libyan fellows from some plutonium. Ha! Now I got a Delorean!

ZenGarden
5th Jan 2018, 4:41 PM
I want a man who drives a VW Bus

tysika
5th Jan 2018, 6:04 PM
Vehicle enthusiast, vegetarian. Imo those traits don't add anything new.

Emerald1234
5th Jan 2018, 6:20 PM
vechile enthusiast is the definite useless one apart from the fact it makes your sims besties with bloody cars...why?

GrijzePilion
5th Jan 2018, 7:39 PM
I have one vegetarian Sim and I keep forgetting about it - until she's hanging over a toilet puking her guts out...

Emmett Brown
6th Jan 2018, 4:32 PM
vechile enthusiast is the definite useless one apart from the fact it makes your sims besties with bloody cars...why?
It goes with Social Butterfly & Snob. You can make some fairly "shallow" personalities.
More bad traits would be nice.
I like to make sims who have bad traits... then introduce them to my cow plant.

Don Babilon
7th Jan 2018, 12:28 AM
Social Butterfly, urgh, one of the most annoying traits in the whole game. Combine it with Diva, No Sense Of Humor, Snob and Supernatural Sceptic and you'll have created the perfectly self-obsessed and interfering arsehole.
Supernatural Sceptic, btw, must have the highest number of new social interactions among all traits and nearly all of them produce a negative reaction.

I do play a lot of snobs though. They're very easy to please actually and can spend hours in front of a mirror admiring themselves, which is, admittedly, less stupid than what other traits do when on full autonomy.

In have an instance of the same Sim in nearly all of my games, Matilda. She is proper, evil, a snob, irresistible and with no sense of humor and hilarious to watch as an inactive. Depending on the neighbourhood she's enemies with half the town within a few days. Good replacement traits for her are also diva for snob and mean-spirited for evil.

GrijzePilion
7th Jan 2018, 12:56 AM
I had a Sim with the Diva trait once....until she started singing randomly. If she weren't my main Sim, I'd have killed her then and there. But then again, this was when Showtime was still the newest expansion, when I was switching between the "same" Sims in about half a dozen saves every month, and when Amber wore skirts for some reason. Not a great combination anyway, Amber and skirts. Or dresses. Or heels. Or the colour pink. Or anything of the sort. And yes, I know not every lesbian is Lea DeLaria (http://uh.edu/calendar/_images/Lea-DeLaria.jpg) but I sure don't know any who don't hate girly shit like that.

Also, while I regret to say that Showtime is by no means my least favourite expansion, I did get rid of the Beverly Hills glamour theme rather quickly. They can keep their Keeping Up With the Cardassians bullshit.

PANDAQUEEN
7th Jan 2018, 1:27 AM
Non-committal, unflirty, foodie, slob...

Evidently, I used like a few that involve my target Sim's likeness.

With Cats and Dogs, I usually use relevant traits when making cats based on ones my mother had over the years.

CatMuto
7th Jan 2018, 10:41 AM
Social Butterfly, urgh, one of the most annoying traits in the whole game.

I've tried it out. Didn't seem that big of a trait to observe... not even the It's Like I'm Invisible bad moodlet is that big of a deal. Though the idea of them wanting to be the center of attention seems more like something I'd expect from a Diva.

I rarely use Supernatural Skeptic or Supernatural Fan anymore. The latter is annoying because I had a teen with that trait and, on full moon nights, they'd get up every few hours from sleep to freak out. Sims 3 needs to add sleeping pills... And the former is just... weird to have on a supernatural sim or when related to one. Though this reminds me how my Sim got shocked when her daughter turned into a werewolf. You know her! You gave birth to her; why are you shocked?

sweetdevil
7th Jan 2018, 3:07 PM
@Don Babilon

First and last time I used Social Butterfly, it was on a sim I wanted to explore the Social Networking skill on. It's not bad, and the skill is easier to work with than I thought; getting a blog to five stars is easy after you figure out you just need to post what random text is generated, and you get more followers if you post when the sim has the "Gotta Blog About..." moodlet.

A sim I briefly played was a Supernatural Skeptic, and definitely more annoying than the Mean-Spirited ones. I remember scrolling past alll the interactions that would result in a negative outcome, and barely finding any good ones. Still haven't found a point for this trait and the Supernatural Fan one, they don't offer much in terms of new effects on gameplay.

-------

I think I use Never Nude the least, probably followed by Dislikes Children - not because I dislike it, but because I forget it exists :rolleyes:

Wunderkind
7th Jan 2018, 4:12 PM
Social Butterfly, urgh, one of the most annoying traits in the whole game. Combine it with Diva, No Sense Of Humor, Snob and Supernatural Sceptic and you'll have created the perfectly self-obsessed and interfering arsehole.

And now I have to create this exact sim to let her rile up my town :rofl:

There are not many traits I never use, they are all useful eventually to tell a story or create a specific character. However, I have never used vehicle enthusiast- I guess I never wanted to tell the story about a guy who falls in love with his Mercedes. But now that I mentioned it, I might try it out just to see how that goes. :D

Don Babilon
7th Jan 2018, 7:22 PM
The annoying thing about Social Butterfly is the whole concept of this trait. They are extremely needy when it comes to attention, their social motive decays faster and so they try to barge into every conversation that is near (hm, come to think of it isn't that a major feature for all Sims in Sims 4?); and once they get the attention they cheer themselves - Every. Single. Time
It's also a flawed trait in a way because the only attention that counts is direct conversation - even mean ones will cheer them up. My only Sim with that trait was also a performer and ended each performance on stage with the "It's like I'm Invisible" moodlet. Idiot. Deleted the Sim and the save and never used it for my actives again and only for inactives that were destined to be a walking PITA.

I'm not really sure, though, whether there is some synergy between the social networking skill and the social butterfly trait, considering that they are from different EPs.

But speaking of hardly used traits - the ones I have never used yet are Never Nude and Can't Stand Art, not even for those Sims I created as inactive townies, so I don't even know whether they have some hidden perks or not.
The ones I use very rarely are Absent-minded, Born Salesperson, Photographer's Eye, Vehicle Enthusiast, Bot Fan and Technophobe. Diva and Social Butterfly I pretend do not exist...
Traits for which I still don't understand what they actually do are Dramatic and Nurturing, and Gatherer is apparently broken.

GrijzePilion
7th Jan 2018, 7:33 PM
I like it. It's a realistic trait. I like realistic Sims. I'm pretty sure half my Sim population has it.
I'm pretty sure I haven't even noticed the annoying side effects yet because everyone else are my Sims' bitches. They exist only to appease whoever I'm playing with. If they refuse to play along nicely, I banish them to the void.

....I just realized something.
I'm Q.
I'm that omnipotent, asshole creature from Star Trek. I love Q. He's such an asshole!
I'm the omnipotent god-like asshole of the Sim universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyjhM1vL9I

^^ That's me. I fuck with people for fun. And by "people", I mean Sims, but occasionally also real people. I can't make matter appear or disappear, though. Not in real life, anyway.

sweetdevil
7th Jan 2018, 9:19 PM
The ones I use very rarely are Absent-minded, Born Salesperson, Photographer's Eye, Vehicle Enthusiast, Bot Fan and Technophobe. Diva and Social Butterfly I pretend do not exist...
At first I thought you were joking, because I couldn't even remember these were in the game, lol. I do remember changing Vehicle Enthusiast every time I see a sim with it, because it's a useless trait from my point of view. As for Photographer's Eye, it's too bad the Photography skill is still broken, otherwise I'd use it more. Born Salesperson...yeah, no clue what that does. Smaller consignment fees?

Technophobes are best paired with sims you want to excel in Handiness; the technophobe will spend roughly 75% of their day sabotaging electronics, and I guarantee the other sim will master Handiness in 2 days tops :P

CatMuto
7th Jan 2018, 10:09 PM
At first I thought you were joking, because I couldn't even remember these were in the game, lol. I do remember changing Vehicle Enthusiast every time I see a sim with it, because it's a useless trait from my point of view. As for Photographer's Eye, it's too bad the Photography skill is still broken, otherwise I'd use it more. Born Salesperson...yeah, no clue what that does. Smaller consignment fees?

That, and it makes it easier to gain a reputation at the store. And you sell things for a bit more. I never really noticed the difference between a Born Salessim and a non-Born Salessim.

I rarely use Light Sleeper. I don't want to look up from my book (I tend to read during times when sims sleep) and see that the Sim has been standing somewhere for hours because some minor thing woke them up from their sleep. (I have autonomy disabled for the selected sim)

Don Babilon
8th Jan 2018, 12:23 AM
At first I thought you were joking, because I couldn't even remember these were in the game, lol. (...)Same here. I simply looked up all the traits at sims.wikia.com. :)

GrijzePilion
8th Jan 2018, 11:55 AM
Vehicle Enthusiast is also the only trait to be introduced with a Stuff Pack, right?
I remember Full Fart Stuff coming out, not getting the whole Stuff Pack deal, and wondering why the hell there wasn't a new world with race tracks in it.

igazor
8th Jan 2018, 12:07 PM
Vehicle Enthusiast is also the only trait to be introduced with a Stuff Pack, right?
Kind of. The trait is Base Game, but it was included in the patch that was released alongside of the Stuff Pack. Not in the pack itself, so the SP is not required to enjoy or be aggravated by it, as the case may be.

GrijzePilion
8th Jan 2018, 12:26 PM
I'm counting that.

lukas11xxf
13th Jan 2018, 7:17 PM
I had played with Technophobe sim, and oh boy wasn't she fun to play with. I liked sending her to somebody's house and sabotage their televisions and computers. Vandalizing property is fun.

Technophobes are best paired with sims you want to excel in Handiness; the technophobe will spend roughly 75% of their day sabotaging electronics, and I guarantee the other sim will master Handiness in 2 days tops :P
That's kind of genius strategy.

lukas11xxf
13th Jan 2018, 7:19 PM
* deleted ; combined with prior comment *

GrijzePilion
13th Jan 2018, 7:37 PM
I had played with Technophobe sim, and oh boy wasn't she fun to play with. I liked sending her to somebody's house and sabotage their televisions and computers. Vandalizing property is fun.
Thanks for reminding me why I should build more detention centres. It only makes sense that if a select portion of the Sim population can live in the greatest luxury known to man, another portion of Simkind should live a hard and unfair life full of despair and exploitation. I'm responsible for the former, so I'm perfectly qualified to take care of the latter as well.

Now what I'm thinking is that I should be tough on crime, but of course, only if Someone Else does it. The big joke is that the lucky few are the real criminals. But it's okay because I like them. I don't like the nobodies who get in their way. And, being an omnipotent asshole being, their deaths are my will and my plan. So obviously, it's the right way. And anyone who disagrees, well...

So, technophobia...not happenin' unless Plum wills it.

mithrak_nl
13th Jan 2018, 8:16 PM
None really, although I don't really care for clumsy. It grows old fast because it repeats the same slapstick moves over and over. But I still like to use it in combination of other negative traits.

SneakyWingPhoenix
13th Jan 2018, 9:27 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I should build more detention centres. It only makes sense that if a select portion of the Sim population can live in the greatest luxury known to man, another portion of Simkind should live a hard and unfair life full of despair and exploitation. I'm responsible for the former, so I'm perfectly qualified to take care of the latter as well.

Now what I'm thinking is that I should be tough on crime, but of course, only if Someone Else does it. The big joke is that the lucky few are the real criminals. But it's okay because I like them. I don't like the nobodies who get in their way. And, being an omnipotent asshole being, their deaths are my will and my plan. So obviously, it's the right way. And anyone who disagrees, well...

So, technophobia...not happenin' unless Plum wills it.
You're welcome {for the first sentence}. I do wonder, (though doubt is a thing that) towny/unplayable technophobes can sabotage property. It would be an amusing scene, especially If one gets in my family house and does that minor offense, giving me a reason to pushed them into a deem demise doom for taking such a "minor offense" and re-thinking If it is an actual minor one in this society that accepts it as such. Laws really should be re-done, so that authorities would have the right to jail such civilians :cool: :bunny: :bunny: :)

PlyPlay665
15th Jan 2018, 6:13 AM
I had no idea there were people who were "vehicle enthusiast".
Apparently you don't live in the rust belt???? :wtf: I know SO many vehicle enthusiasts. My dad is a mechanic, his dad ran a junk yard, and his dad was a car salesman! My family cares more about the mechanics of the cars, but my ex-boyfriend was obsessed with the look of cars. Dragged me to so many car shows... which, by the way, is the only festival other than July 4th that my hometown has!!!

On the point of the post.. the traits I don't use are Technophobia (it's ok on the premade elders, but anyone younger than elder shouldn't have that trait imo) and Hates Children. I seldom use Never Nude, Can't Stand Art, and Hydrophobia.

GrijzePilion
15th Jan 2018, 11:40 AM
Apparently you don't live in the rust belt???? :wtf: I know SO many vehicle enthusiasts. My dad is a mechanic, his dad ran a junk yard, and his dad was a car salesman! My family cares more about the mechanics of the cars, but my ex-boyfriend was obsessed with the look of cars. Dragged me to so many car shows... which, by the way, is the only festival other than July 4th that my hometown has!!!
I know plenty of city folks who love themselves a good car. Sure, it might be a US rust belt thing (we don't have any rural areas NEARLY big enough to necessitate car ownership) but it's highly unlikely to not know any car enthusiasts no matter where you live.
Might depend on how you define it, though. I don't think you need to go to car shows or do repair work on them to be a vehicle enthusiast. If you had a poster of an Italian exotic above your bed as a kid, if you drive a car you don't strictly need, and if enjoy talking about it, I'd say you're there.

CatMuto
15th Jan 2018, 12:45 PM
Proper.
I used it on NPCs and used it on a household Sim... beyond getting a better mood from decoration (which needed a mod to fix it) and bowing/curtesying as an introdcution, only to then do the bog-standard handshake... this trait doesn't offer much. It is neat to see a Sim mostly in their formal attire, but...

kin.gyo1413
15th Jan 2018, 2:19 PM
I tend to randomize traits for (somewhat) balanced combinations and roll with it...buuuut there are traits that seem gratuitous.... Cat/Dog Person, Supernatural Fan/Sceptic are perhaps the worst offenders. Those are not traits, but labels. I want my sims to have a story, and traits that allow me to put them out of their comfort zone!
Other than that, anything goes as long as the combination is interesting and not 'perfect'.

SneakyWingPhoenix
28th Jan 2018, 4:56 PM
There's also a some very interesting advice from Ray Mazza who worked on Sims 3, but left before Sims 4 released. Designng Character Traits in The Sims 3 (http://www.raymazza.com/game-design/designing-character-traits-in-the-sims-3) He explains some of the thinking behind the move away from the personality characteristics of Sims 2 (Manislowski) to the Trait system of Sims 3.

Something I came across on TS2 child forum.

gittevdv
28th Jan 2018, 6:00 PM
I don't know all of them by heard, and I probably missed some that I should add, but traits that come to my mind inmediately are never naked and grumpy. The first one adds literally nothing, and the second one is very annoying.

Le Carrera
31st Jan 2018, 6:02 AM
"Never Nude" - it does absolutely nothing of interest besides making you bathe in your swimsuit, which is the stupidest thing ever.

"Clumsy" - Another useless trait, does absolutely nothing besides making Sims occasionally trip over their own feet. Or drop the engagement ring while proposing.

"Hydrophobic" - the constant crying after taking a damn bath gets very annoying very quickly.

"Hates the outdoors" - Getting a mood hit the second they step outside is annoying.

"Can't stand art" - The only way to keep a sim with this trait happy is to basically have an empty house, which is stupid and annoying.

"Eccentric", "Perceptive", "Photographer's eye", "Computer whiz", "Savvy sculptor", "Virtuoso", "Vehicle enthusiast", "Angler" - All traits tailored towards specific careers I never play, or specific skills I never use.

GrijzePilion
31st Jan 2018, 1:05 PM
TL;DR: Any negatively themed trait. Turns out Simmers want their worlds to be filled with a bunch of total Mary Sues.

tunafishfish
31st Jan 2018, 3:04 PM
I wouldn't say that... Looking back through the thread the traits that are most objected to don't affect gameplay in a meaningful way. It's not like Born Salespeople can join a pyramid scheme and try to sell Lularoe or Herbalife to their friends, have a charisma bonus, or talk like a 70s gameshow announcer. Never Nudes aren't more prudish than other sims, they don't have a "scandalized by hemlines" moodlet or "shocking bikini" moodlet or anything! The only thing they do is shower in their bathing suit, which is hardly a personality trait and the only way to make it make sense is to pair it with inapropriate or insane so you can at least have someone sponge bathe in a bathing suit or shower in a ball gown.

CatMuto
31st Jan 2018, 7:05 PM
TL;DR: Any negatively themed trait. Turns out Simmers want their worlds to be filled with a bunch of total Mary Sues.

I wouldn't call most of the ones listed in the thread 'negatively themed'. They are... neutral traits. The ones that you slap on when you have designed a 'personality' (say... a hotheaded, natural cook who loves the outdoors) and still have a free slot, so you put something in there that won't really do anything.