11/11/2017: Sadly this mod doesn't work with Cats and Dogs at the moment. If you have updated to the latest patch but do not have Cats and Dogs, it is still working as usual.
This mod contains a lot of expansion pack specific code, and it needs to be updated for Cats and Dogs specific content. I'm sorry that I can't do anything about it until I have the pack and fully tested it. Because of financial reasons, I will buy the pack the next time it is on discount, probably Thanksgiving, which is 2 weeks later. If you can extract XML files, it will help me a lot if you send them to me.
10/22/2017: Compatible with the October 17th update.
As some simmers in the comments have pointed out, there are some issues with hermit generating in game. I will fix that after Cats and Dogs comes out, along with other minor issues. Thank you so much for pointing out issues with this mod since it's hard to control all townie generating without making mistakes. There are functions in the game that I don't use very often, and didn't pay much attention to, so thank you again for your feedback!
Recently I probably would answer questions less frequently because I'm busy with school right now, and don't have time to play Sims. Also, please don't ask me anything on Tumblr right now (if you know I have one), since I wouldn't check it at the moment.
Things that will be fixed after Cats and Dogs update:
1. Mailmans not generating properly. Now, for mail to be delivered properly, you can keep the townie mailman, or download mine from the gallery (I don't mind you modify him as you want), or make your own using the cheats traits.equip_trait isMailman and careers.add_career Mailman.
2. Hermits not generating properly.
3. Gym trainers and Librarians (sometimes they appear, sometimes they do not).
4. Police station civilians. Now townies will still be generated for that purpose, but I will make the game use existing sims by the next patch.
5. Probably stray cats and dogs. If they are generated with a townie owner, I will try to remove the townie owner from the template file so that they are only strays (don't know if that's possible), and probably another version that eliminates them as well (don't know if people would want it but I would provide an option anyway).
If there's anything else that you would like me to fix, please comment.
09/16/2017: Compatible with the September 12th update. No need to update.
08/30/2017: Just thought I would come by and answer some FAQs in the descriptions, some are already answered in the comments but to make it easier, I think I should list them here.
1. About MCCC: This mod is compatible with MCCC but doesn't require it to work. If you use MCCC, the correct settings are needed (max homeless = 0, culling disabled). Using the default settings of MCCC will generate you more townies. Using MCCC alone couldn't achieve what this mod achieves.
2. NPC jobs for played sims is still work in progress. It will probably involve script modding and might conflict with some other mods. I am not sure when/if it will be released. Now after using cheats to assign roles, you should mark those sims unplayed to make sure they show up for the job.
3. After using this mod, probably there is still going to be a random alien generated whenever you go to Willow Creek or Oasis Springs (if you don't have any existing aliens). I made a mod to stop it but it is based on someone else's mod. Although the creator doesn't have TOU against it and MTS moderator says it is okay to upload, I still think it is inappropriate. The next time it needs update, I will do it from scratch and share it on MTS.
4. Now there is a problem with mailman generating and it will be fixed the next time this mod needs an update (probably after Cats and Dogs' release). You can create a mailman by using the cheats careers.add_career mailman and traits.equip_trait isMailman. You can also download my mailman on the gallery by searching EA ID AKLSimmer or tag #AKLSimmer.
5. Some of the roles needs some certain skills for your sims to be qualified. If the cheat doesn't work, probably you should give the sims some skills that you think would help. I might create a list in the future on which skills are needed for which role.
08/23/2017: It should be compatible with the latest patch, since according to the patch notes, there are only bug fixes and I don't see anything that could make this mod not function anymore. If you come across any problems, please comment, and I will fix it as soon as possible.
07/23/2017: I have uploaded some of my service sims to the gallery! Just search Origin id: AKLSimmer or tag #AKLSimmer, you will find them. They have the traits and skills needed to fill the role, so you don't need to bother using cheats yourself. If you want to use them, just place them in your world and they will just show up. Do not play as them if you want them to fulfill these roles. If you play as them, they will lose their NPC traits, but you are free to play them if you like. You can edit their appearance or name or traits to your liking, but please do not reupload them.
07/19/2017: The mod is compatible with July 18th patch. No need to update or re-download.
07/03/2017: Fixed landlords, gardeners, and criminals not generating problems.
06/16/2017: Fixed the problem of service sims not showing up. Now if you do not have any qualified DJ/Maid/Nanny/Pizza Delivery/Repairman, the game would spawn one for you. You can make your own to prevent random ones from being generated.
This mod minimizes the number of random townies generated and forces the game to use existing sims before it generates any new sims. With this mod, the game will only generate sims when it needs a role that no existing sims qualifies.
If you want to stop random townies generation, you can use the following cheats to make your own sims eligible for service roles:
*Some service roles do not only require a trait and a career, they also require some certain skills to qualify your sim.
This list does not cover all service roles, but it does cover the most common ones.
Some other service roles can be automatically assigned to unplayed and unemployed sims, for example, bartenders, restaurant waiters/chefs/hosts, massage therapists and reflexologists, etc. There are a few other roles that are less common, and I didn’t come across them often, so you shouldn’t worry about them much.
You should temporarily play as them to give them the traits, the careers, and the skills needed for their roles, and then mark them as unplayed. When you type in a cheat to equip a hidden trait, the game shows no response, but it works. However, when you add a service career to your sim, it should show up in the careers panel.
If you see any random sims generated, you can do makeovers of them, change their traits if you want. They will keep their service roles unless you play them. Townies generation would stop if you do this for a while.
I have play tested in both my main save file (about 300 sims) and a new save file (about 80 sims, only the premades and one played household). In my main save file, no random sim has been generated (besides Jasmine Holiday) for more than a sim week. In the new save file, there are only a few sims that have been generated, all of which are service sims or City Living weirdos.
It will conflict with any mod that modify sim filter XMLs.