PDA

View Full Version : Help me please! Textures over mesh?

obsessedfae
28th Dec 2006, 5:17 PM
I downloaded a mesh and I would like to make a texture to put over it. How do I do this? I unzipped it to the downloads file. Was I supposed to put it in there? I'm not supposed to see it in bodyshop right? But won't it have a thumbnail or something? Ah..I use PSP X but any directions would be fine. All I'm finding is tutorials with how to do one part. If it could be explained once thoroughly, I would be good..thanks in advance. :bunny:

-Confused and Sad

HystericalParoxysm
28th Dec 2006, 5:25 PM
If you would like to recolour a custom mesh, you will need to download the mesh file itself, and at least one existing recolour file. The recolour file will make it so you can make a new project in Body Shop (since the recolour file will show up there) and then after making a new project, from there you can add whatever textures, alphas, etc. you want.

obsessedfae
28th Dec 2006, 5:26 PM
ohhh..so when someone makes a mesh they also make a recolour file that you can change in your graphics program?

edit//the mesh i found doesn't come with a recolour nor does it have any in the site...:(

HystericalParoxysm
28th Dec 2006, 5:36 PM
Yes, when someone makes a mesh, they will make a recolour file to go with it... Mesh files themselves won't show up anywhere - you have to have a recolour file to see anything in-game or in Body Shop.

Sometimes people will just put a bucket fill on that basic texture, so people will end up with things they think are the actual meshes, but they're really just a recolour with a bucket fill texture. Whether they do that basic recolour type, or, like is more common, just making a set of basic textures for their mesh, you can select their original recolour(s) to make a new project in Body Shop using their mesh. Then you'll use your own textures and alphas to do whatever you want with it.

Surely they've released -some- base recolour for their mesh. That'd be awfully silly for them to not. Perhaps there's a recolour of it somewhere on their site that you're just not realizing is for that mesh... where are you looking/what mesh are you trying to recolour?

obsessedfae
28th Dec 2006, 5:39 PM
the sims resource
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/sims2/sets/410866/
oh this does come with a recolor doesn't it? lol im a dummy. thank you for your help by the way.

HystericalParoxysm
28th Dec 2006, 5:49 PM
I can see where you might be confused. That looks like a set of recolours - they link to the needed mesh (how it can just be one mesh I don't know as those outfits are totally different - maybe two of them are Maxis meshes?) in the text of the post... and the link runs off the edge of the page, but the mesh is here:

http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/sims2/meshes/clothing/396736/

obsessedfae
28th Dec 2006, 5:50 PM
http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/sims2/meshes/clothing/
this is the page I found the mesh on..its five up from the bottom..hm..and i click recolors and there weren't any but then i clicked see complete set and that brought me to the page with the 3 sims and it has a link to yet another mesh. Should I download both to be sure?

tiggerypum
28th Dec 2006, 11:26 PM
With all respect, I suggest you use the tsr boards to get support for their stuff. Ask the creator or ask on the boards or both. We've give you the info about what you need, beyond that, it's their site and organization.

Once you've got something showing up in your game, there are tutorials here (which you can do anyway, even before you get your new mesh working) that teach various techniques for editing outfits and giving them new textures.

Please note that if the outfits came with non-maxis based textures that you will need to make your own from scratch, color shifting someone else's texture is usually not okay without their permission.

obsessedfae
29th Dec 2006, 3:13 AM
Ok. Thanks.