PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong here?

jubileebud
10th Jan 2007, 5:00 AM
Can someone please explain why the texture file (or whatever its called) is showing up funny? I put the picture below, I never had this problem before until I switched laptops. So thanks!

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3128/whatswrongig8.png

hopebayler
10th Jan 2007, 5:30 AM
what about the bmp map have you fixed that so it goes with this outfit and not the one you cloned it from? otherwise Im not sure what could be the reason for this

jubileebud
10th Jan 2007, 5:38 AM
The bmp map shown is the one that goes with the outfit. The mesh is an original maxis mesh. Thanks anyways...should have clarified myself. LOL.

tiggerypum
10th Jan 2007, 5:46 AM
Congrats! You can now see bump maps. You'll find all sorts of outfits that are now 'trash' because the user did not clear the bumpmap and couldn't see it in their game, or because they bumpmapped their outfit poorly.

Did you make this dress recolor yourself? Or did you download it from someplace? Either way, if you make a project of it, and look at the files, you'll see the texture (which I assume is smooth stripes), the alpha file (black and white) and the normalmap (bumpmap) file. The normalmap file should be turned into all one neutral color of gray if you don't want to add 3-D effects to the clothing. (Yes, this means if you have a fav recolor from someone and it's bumpmapped badly, you can make a copy for your own personal use and wipe the bumpmap). When you're done, import the new project into your game, and then delete the old one.

jubileebud
10th Jan 2007, 5:58 AM
Did you make this dress recolor yourself? Or did you download it from someplace? Either way, if you make a project of it, and look at the files, you'll see the texture (which I assume is smooth stripes), the alpha file (black and white) and the normalmap (bumpmap) file. The normalmap file should be turned into all one neutral color of gray if you don't want to add 3-D effects to the clothing. (Yes, this means if you have a fav recolor from someone and it's bumpmapped badly, you can make a copy for your own personal use and wipe the bumpmap). When you're done, import the new project into your game, and then delete the old one.

I made the dress recolor myself (working on it at the moment) and the mesh is an original maxis mesh with the original bump map and stuff. The normal map I have turned into an all neutral color map too. (Pic below) Yeah...nothing seems to work so far. I moved the images in the bmp map around, like the further left it goes, the same applies to the whole outfit view on body shop, but it does cover the toddler whole. (just half her back)

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1947/whatswrong2ap0.png

tiggerypum
10th Jan 2007, 6:14 AM
That is a bad bad way to make a normal map. Anyone who teaches 'desaturate your design' knows almost nothing about making normal maps.

Now if that was your normal map, I do not think you are seeing the normal/bump map, because your stripes should be bumping all over the place, and it should look far more ... special... than it does.

What does your original color texture look like, and what is the part you're seeing that you're questioning, specifically.

jubileebud
10th Jan 2007, 9:04 PM
oh...okay. The part that I am quesitoning is my the bump map only covers half the toddlers body (and only on the back to be exact) when it should cover her whole body (the clothes I mean...not the WHOLE body) like in the picture on my very first post. Is it somehting I'm doing wrong or a glitch?

tiggerypum
11th Jan 2007, 2:59 AM
jubilee, uhm. In that first picture, is that showing the 'bumpmap' you're showing in message 5? Because if so, I'm way confused, because I can't see how the bumpmap you're showing would create that result. Is this an original maxis mesh or modified?
Also in your picture you aren't showing us the _front_ of that outfit. I can't see whatever you are seeing.

So... more screenshots or maybe (if this is a maxis mesh) package up your saved sims (import it to your game) project and upload it here so we can take a look at it.

SnowStorm
11th Jan 2007, 1:56 PM
Is your bump map the proper size? This looks like what can happen if the original bump map was a different size than what you replace it with.

jubileebud
11th Jan 2007, 8:38 PM
Ok...here is a link to the outfit so you can download it: click here (http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/57577/5f7539b0-gtodoutfit3-zip.html) .

I've checked the bump map size and it's the proper size so it couldn't be that...when I stick the image on the bump map before greyscalingit, it works fine, but when I greyscale the image I get the results above. Funny...

SnowStorm
12th Jan 2007, 2:41 PM
If you open your package in simpe, and look at the bump you will see your bump map image is 3/4's black. You need to import the bump map again, and make sure the file is 512x512.

jubileebud
12th Jan 2007, 11:51 PM
If you open your package in simpe, and look at the bump you will see your bump map image is 3/4's black. You need to import the bump map again, and make sure the file is 512x512.

So...How do I not make it 3/4's black...I don't even know why its like that...please explain and thanks everyone for being patient...I've never had this kind of trouble before till now. :)

tiggerypum
13th Jan 2007, 4:54 AM
Make a new project of that outfit. Go looking in your projects folder for it, and look for... a file probably named
body~stdMatNormalMapTextureName.bmp

Open that file, it should be 512x512. Past in your bumpmap. But I want you to understand something. The bumpmap you made up there, that's no good. That will make every stripe bump in and out. A bumpmap is only suppose to represent the 3d aspect of the outfit, not the fabric print.

So the back seam (if there is one) and the waistband and the gathers (again, if you expect that dress to have them) would show on your bumpmap. Your stripes should not. Make a few other projects of some simple maxis toddler dresses and check their bumpmap. Also notice that the change in color on the bumpmap is very subtle -- not from white to black, but shades of light gray. I have been meaning to write something teaching about proper bumpmapping, but my list of to-do gets longer and longer!

You can probably borrow a bumpmap from another dress and then if yours doesn't have buttons or whatever, just carefully edit that section to get rid of them. Or if you're happy with that dress just being smooth, just put one medium gray over the entire bumpmap image.

Mother Sim
24th Apr 2007, 11:08 AM
Ok...here is a link to the outfit so you can download it: click here (http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/57577/5f7539b0-gtodoutfit3-zip.html) .

I've checked the bump map size and it's the proper size so it couldn't be that...when I stick the image on the bump map before greyscalingit, it works fine, but when I greyscale the image I get the results above. Funny...

I got the same once and i realized the difference was in the format of the finished product that deviated from the original. I havent got a clue what I am talking about, but saving the map in the right format helped me. :0

When you grayscale the format changes... make sure that you change your bmp back to original format ( you can see it in the name when you have your image loaded into your photoshop. Its in the blue part of the top and should say RGB/8 and not Grey) To change it from Grey back to RGB select Image in your options bar and then Mode and then RGB, - save. The image should now be in RGB again and show correctly when loaded into Body Shop and game.

I hope this helps.