PDA

View Full Version : Creating & Saving new Alpha channel file(s). How?

Gamerchick74
27th Jan 2007, 11:14 PM
Going back a bit to my original post (http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1526813#post1526813) about the alpha I made; I have a few questions about Alphas:

#1 First - Is there a mini tutorial on how to create an Alpha in Photoshop? -- Since I couldn't find a specific tutorial on Creating Custom New Alphas
I used this one for general guidance: http://www.storycenter.org/memvoice...orial_4a_4.html but i need addtional help. So If anyone knows of a better tutorial can you please recommend one for that? I have been Googling and searching the major S2 tutorial sites but have not come across anything yet.

#2 How do I save my alpha as "frame~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha" .bmp? Photoshop CS2 only gives me the option of saving it only as a PSD file.

#3 Also when I look in the channels layer I have RGB, Red, Green, Blue and Alpha layer 1 in my alpha layer picture, which I notice are not seen in other Sim creator texture files I have opened to compare. So how do I save the "Alpha 1" layer correctly?

Thanks for the help.

tiggerypum
28th Jan 2007, 9:34 AM
I can't get my photoshop (7) to seem to do anything in the save 'alpha' checkbox, it won't check. You got me curious, but I don't seem to be having much luck poking at the channels and getting a proper b&w alpha, it made me one that was grayscale :(

I make my own simple alpha graphic by having another layer in my program, setting the transparency down so I can see through what I draw, and I simply make the black and white areas on it. (you can also do selections on your outfit's layers, and then switch to the alpha layer to fill in black or white, using the selection as a mask) Once I'm done, I make it back to 100%, and then save it out, at which point I can use any name or format I want, just like any other graphic.

Rob Swift
28th Jan 2007, 10:26 AM
If Gimp is anything like PS you might find an option that says 'new layer from alpha' or something similar. Or color the area one color and maybe find a 'color to alpha' option.