PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Material Override from scratch

bienchen83
12th Apr 2008, 8:06 AM
Some objects - luckily very few - do not have a Material Override when cloned with SimPE. Is there a way to create one for these from scratch.
Im particularly interested in how to get the correct family value.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jasana_BugBreeder
12th Apr 2008, 10:06 AM
It's better to extract from any package that contains a MMAT, and then adjust values.

If you insist on creating from scratch, then:
- right-click on resourse list, Create New Resource
- switch to Resource tab, select the resource, select 'Material Override' in the rightmost combobox, click 'force commit'
- switch back to Plugin View tab, reload resource (close and reopen, or click on some other resource and then on this)
- resource is empty, so you have to add all the parameters manually :(

Since it's too much of work to create it manually - extract-and-add way is preferrable :)

'family' value should be unique, except for few exceptions (like MMATs for clean and dirty states), so it's better to generate it using Hash Generator. Tools->Object Tools->Hash Generator; in dialog, click on 'GUID' radiobutton; copy the value from 'Hash value'. If you need another value - close and reopen the generator dialog.

bienchen83
14th Apr 2008, 8:59 AM
Thanks. Your reply was truely helpful. I do not insist on creating the whole MMAT from scratch, so your explanation of how to get the family value is really perfect for my purpose!

Thanks a lot!!!

mods: this thread can be locked.

wndy26
14th Apr 2008, 11:51 AM
bienchen83 - when using a MMAT from another package you need to also ensure that the GUID line shows the GUID of the package you place it in. I forgot that once and mine didn't work right.