PDA

View Full Version : Hard Copy vs Digital Download

MondayMorning
3rd Jun 2010, 3:50 PM
For the Sims 2 I rushed out everytime a new expansion pack or stuff pack came out and bought the latest one, and by the end of the series I had a boat load of boxes and no where to put them.

With Sims 3 starting to release their ep's and sp's, I wonder if I want to clog what little room I have with their various hard copies.

So, my question is this: A hard copy is able to be reinstalled multiple times (especially if you've borked your game), but what about a digital download from the EA store? If I purchase and download AMB am I forced to purchase it everytime I need to reinstall the game?

jaydock
3rd Jun 2010, 4:58 PM
Nope, once you buy it it's yours. The games you purchase under your EA Store account will always be there and available for you download. I bought most Sims 2 expansion packs over a year ago with digital download and have reinstalled after many computer overhauls many times.

MondayMorning
3rd Jun 2010, 5:11 PM
Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

ac220
3rd Jun 2010, 6:41 PM
Nope, once you buy it it's yours.
Not (http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_li=&p_sid=SqQZEw1k&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xODQsMTg0JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNlY3Vyb20*&p_faqid=20763&p_iid=0&p_created=&p_prod=&p_cat=&p_cv=&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_cats=&prod_lvl1=&prod_lvl2=&prod_lvl3=&cat_lvl1=&cat_lvl2=&cat_lvl3=&p_hidden_prods=&p_search_text=&p_new_search=&p_accessibility=0&p_page=&p_lva=20763&nextlink=°) quite (http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=718200&Env=BASE&productID=105153500) Basically DL version works the same way Spore does, - you're limited to 5 computers you can install the game on. What qualifies as a "different computer" is semi-secret.

MondayMorning
3rd Jun 2010, 6:51 PM
Ah, but if I've borked my game on my one and only computer, I can then download and install it an unlimited amount of times for this computer. Is that correct?

Marcos_Edson
3rd Jun 2010, 7:04 PM
I donīt know the exact answer for this last question but you can burn your downloaded copy to a DVD and reinstall from there; I did that with HELS, I copied the game files plus a copy of the email with my serial to a CD and have reinstalled from there ever since with no problems; Ambitions is a 2.6 GB download, I surely wouldnīt want to redownload it multiple time BUT Iīm glad I have the option if the DVD I burn goes kaput... :cool:

Srikandi
3rd Jun 2010, 7:09 PM
Ah, but if I've borked my game on my one and only computer, I can then download and install it an unlimited amount of times for this computer. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

My reservation about EA Store specifically, however, is that it frequently breaks. So you might not be able to redownload because of technical problems on their end :/

I buy quite a lot of games digitally, but I avoid the EA Store in favor of Steam or Direct2Drive. However, although Sims games have been available on both those services in the past, and I got WA on D2D, I'm not sure Ambitions is :/ Wonder if EA had a dispute with them or something.

tjstreak
3rd Jun 2010, 7:10 PM
Nope, once you buy it it's yours. The games you purchase under your EA Store account will always be there and available for you download. I bought most Sims 2 expansion packs over a year ago with digital download and have reinstalled after many computer overhauls many times.

For as long as EA remains in business, or until they change their minds.

It's foolish to think any game company will be around several years from now.

MondayMorning
3rd Jun 2010, 7:19 PM
Yes, that's correct.

My reservation about EA Store specifically, however, is that it frequently breaks. So you might not be able to redownload because of technical problems on their end :/

I buy quite a lot of games digitally, but I avoid the EA Store in favor of Steam or Direct2Drive. However, although Sims games have been available on both those services in the past, and I got WA on D2D, I'm not sure Ambitions is :/ Wonder if EA had a dispute with them or something.

Thanks, Sri! I found it on D2D. It's still the same full amount, but if I am still able to redownload (or maybe I'll just burn it to a dvd as suggested), then I might just get it there. And D2D says it's owned by IGN, which I frequent on occasion to check out reviews and whatnots. So, for me, that's good enough. :bunny:

yorkielove1
3rd Jun 2010, 8:31 PM
I downloaded The Sims 3 base game from D2D and I couldn't be happier!

masterforger
3rd Jun 2010, 8:50 PM
I'm a fan of the download. I can't take care of CD's worth a damn. Unfortunately I also can't take care of computers worth a damn, so maybe eventually I'll be blocked from reinstalling the Sims for the nth time on my nth computer. Still, I'm positive that even then, the download version will last longer than it would take me to lose, scratch, crack, shatter, or melt the CD's, as I'm prone to do.

Daelda
4th Jun 2010, 12:09 AM
The thing I like about the physical copy, is that you can register the code with the EA Download Manager, and if you lose the physical copy, you can download the digital copy automatically. So it is like getting both for the price of one.

FlyingEvil
4th Jun 2010, 7:58 AM
Download version use SecuROM, hard copy use Disc Authorization.
Do you want to cut of your left or you right foot? I prefer having a large storeroom full of boxes containing boxes with game copies.

Digital copies *shiver* Game companies have a tendency to "Nah, I don't want you to have a copy of the game. Ha-Ha!" or just magically dissapear in the Internet void.

rockgirl92
4th Jun 2010, 3:28 PM
I have HEL waiting in my download manager for me to get a new laptop that can handle it. I bought it and my pc matches the requirements but it made my game crash so I gave up on it then.

Ranissa
4th Jun 2010, 4:25 PM
The thing I like about the physical copy, is that you can register the code with the EA Download Manager, and if you lose the physical copy, you can download the digital copy automatically. So it is like getting both for the price of one.

Reeeeeaaallly? My son has lost my WA disc and is prone to try to pick up an take off with my base game. I think I will be doing this. Thanks for the tip!

Daelda
5th Jun 2010, 1:55 AM
Reeeeeaaallly? My son has lost my WA disc and is prone to try to pick up an take off with my base game. I think I will be doing this. Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure! You have to enter your code in the EA Download Manager under the "Activation" tab.

I misplaced my Sims 3 disc for a while just before upgrading to Windows 7 and it was a life saver!

chilchix
19th Nov 2010, 6:21 PM
I've tried to contact EA about getting a digital copy of WA, and I misplaced my physical copy, I've already registered WA...but they didn't give me a place to download :-\ what do I do?

Tempscire
19th Nov 2010, 10:08 PM
Unless or until you, say, upgrade the video card or hard drive or something and suddenly the game thinks it's on an all-new computer, thus striking off one of your installs. Depends on how long you want to be able to play the game for. I'm personally still playing TS1 on occasion, so I'd like my games to be installable 5 or 10 years down the line, regardless of how many times I've replaced or upgraded my computer or whether EA still supports the game or not.*

*you know, barring major hardware and software changes

Marcos_Edson
20th Nov 2010, 2:41 AM
I've tried to contact EA about getting a digital copy of WA, and I misplaced my physical copy, I've already registered WA...but they didn't give me a place to download :-\ what do I do?

Do you have their EADM installed? If yes, and if you registered WA before and itīs not currently installed, you should see the WA cover in EADM with an option "ready for download"; but prior to download go to Options and set them so EADM do not delete the downloaded files once you install WA; this way you can safely burn the files to a DVD for future needs... :)

Volvenom
20th Nov 2010, 6:32 PM
Digital copies *shiver* Game companies have a tendency to "Nah, I don't want you to have a copy of the game. Ha-Ha!" or just magically dissapear in the Internet void.

Oh yea, I soooo see that one coming. These companies do as they please. Suddenly they have to totally overhaul there servers and decide 3 year old game files is no longer needed. I still use Sims2, how old is that game?

WaterWolf
20th Nov 2010, 6:38 PM
I still use Sims2, how old is that game?
6 years old.

Miko09
21st Nov 2010, 12:08 AM
I think its neat that you can still download the game if you bought the physical copy. There are so many times where I lose discs or break them. What's not neat is the inclusion of SecuROM. I hate that crap. Especially with the prices of games today. Theyre almost the same price as console games!

WaterWolf
21st Nov 2010, 9:45 AM
SecuROM got Spore rated as 0 for ages, due to the issues it caused. Because EA seems to be under the impression that 99.9% of people in the world are hackers. It's ridiculous.

amora_selvagen
21st Nov 2010, 1:53 PM
I was installing and unistaling my ts2 man times in the same computer... last time i did that . they told me that would be the last time and some others just did not work at all. I guess you have a limit for download even if is to the same computer!!

WaterWolf
21st Nov 2010, 3:28 PM
I was installing and unistaling my ts2 man times in the same computer... last time i did that . they told me that would be the last time and some others just did not work at all. I guess you have a limit for download even if is to the same computer!!

SecuROM limits the amount of times you can download from a disc, and the installed program tries to preform the same on game disc's without secuROM (so their website stated).

Basicly, their way of combating piracy increased piracy, due to people creating sims 3 discs without secuROM and selling them.

To combat an issue, you must think about it first. To stop a flood you dont simply build a wall in the river, as it will cause more problems. This is the approach EA took.

amora_selvagen
21st Nov 2010, 10:07 PM
I agree and understand EA's point. i just bought a cd from the game they wont let me install anymore. and as someone else told b4 it can happen also that the CD got some defect and you need to buy a new one!

clockworkapple
21st Nov 2010, 11:53 PM
the one thing I'm unsure of is if free simpoints are given out with digital copies or not...