PDA

View Full Version : The Random Legacy Challenge (1st Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Redhead Creations
23rd Jun 2011, 6:39 PM
That's pretty good, then! Seems like a lot of people are either partaking in the challenge or at least taking an interest in checking it out.

I'm sure there's a large number of people that are playing by the rules, but not blogging. I wasn't even sure I wanted to blog about it, myself. It puts some pressure on you to keep at it. Then again, that's kind of why I did it as well, to have some incentive to see it through. =)

And now I've gotten to know and love many people's stories, and getting to know you guys on this thread has been a lot of fun as well!

fairycake89
23rd Jun 2011, 7:29 PM
I've looked several times at the Rules Blog and tell myself, 'I'll try it!' but I fail badly every time! I keep rolling single parents with 5 kids ... I can't do it! I can't! lol! At least not without piles of cash!

calisims
23rd Jun 2011, 8:26 PM
Yeah 5 kids with single parent on a first gen roll is pretty daunting. But you can always try another roll for your first generation.
Also, keep in mind that you can mix adopted/biological children, so you can adopt a child or two to start, and then when they are teens they can help with any babies you get later.

severedsolo
23rd Jun 2011, 8:29 PM
I had Single parent 5 kids for my first gen this time as well. I almost failed... luckily the first set were twins, but I still had to make an emergency adoption to stop myself from failing. Stupid Story Progression kept giving the fathers of my Sim's children partners.

ReyaD
23rd Jun 2011, 8:52 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually care if the sim I choose to "father/mother" my heir's kids is in a relationship? >_> I think this may make me a bad person.

KaiRuh
23rd Jun 2011, 8:54 PM
haha, I try to avoid breaking up relationships unless there just aren't any unattached Sims or they're all awful-looking.

Redhead Creations
23rd Jun 2011, 8:59 PM
Haha... That's so funny, because I had to TOTALLY reshoot the scene in my last update because I didn't realize the original woman I was going after for Morand was already in a relationship, with another woman, who she had a child with.

Breaking up a couple is one thing, which I think I could do, but I would have felt bad since there was a kid involved. Haha

Hard to remember these are just pixels sometimes.

[EDIT] I've learned my lesson now, though. Always check your perspective partner through MC before initiating.

CyyKosis
23rd Jun 2011, 9:01 PM
As long as your signed in to your Blogspot account, the admin's pageviews don't count anyway I believe. I know mine don't anyway.

They only don't count if you click on the link in the Stats tab that says "Don't Count My Pageviews" or something to that effect. You have to do it for every browser you use since it is based off of cookies... At least to the best of my knowledge xD

ReyaD
23rd Jun 2011, 9:16 PM
I always look through MC anyway to count how many times they're already related. xD Only gen 4 and already so many people related to each other! I think with a handful of exceptions, I don't even need to MC to look at relationships, I just have to check one of my sims' family trees and move around till I find that person.

Redhead Creations
23rd Jun 2011, 9:17 PM
I hope that isn't going to be an issue in my town, it really not that big to begin with. I may have to start shipping off various branches of the family at some point so that new blood can move in...

AlmaDelCore20
23rd Jun 2011, 10:03 PM
Another post before I work tonight. My buffer is serving me well.

http://randallfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-9-angst.html

Enjoy!

fairycake89
23rd Jun 2011, 10:24 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually care if the sim I choose to "father/mother" my heir's kids is in a relationship? >_> I think this may make me a bad person.

Call me mercenary, but the only reason I can't do the single parent thing is the single income and losing a pair of hands around the house! Other than that, I don't care about the relationships either.

CinderEmma
23rd Jun 2011, 10:29 PM
I personally like happy couples for some, misery/cheating/singles in others. It's all in what I feel like playing :)

NutsAndDolts
23rd Jun 2011, 10:45 PM
Chapter 92.

http://r2simslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-92-strange-energy-readings.html

The updates have been short but the pieces for the finale are slowly falling into place.

I can tell you that Nero will NOT grow up and marry Wren if you were wondering, though.

I think somebody else already called that plot.

severedsolo
23rd Jun 2011, 11:05 PM
I hope that isn't going to be an issue in my town, it really not that big to begin with. I may have to start shipping off various branches of the family at some point so that new blood can move in...

Im on Generation 2 and I've already reached the point where both sides of the family are distantly related. It's a bit creepy, I only found it out by accident because I was trying to find out whether one Sim was related to another.

The Racket's (whom my Gen 2 spouse is descended from) and the Swifts (my family) seem to have intermarried all over the place. Damn you Story Progression! There are other families you know?

ReyaD
23rd Jun 2011, 11:55 PM
I got screwed over by the triplets. They're dating EVERYONE. I've had to put pregnancy-blocks on them to keep them from making a bajillion kids. I may turn two of them human and then let them marry and make babies... but not before. Maybe in Gen five.

CinderEmma
24th Jun 2011, 12:31 AM
NutsandDolts: I might use that plot, but I haven't decided yet. It'll require a cooperative game and no more bad glitches XD

Lol at the promiscuous triplets, way to keep them sterile XD

ChloroformDreams
24th Jun 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm still in the process of setting up my neighborhood (perfectionist trait, anyone? :p ) but I thought of another question. So I have the step-child marital status and I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok to have the mother have a different source of financial income (from the secondary income I rolled) before she moves in with my founder. It would make sense story-wise, especially since neither is a typical career. Yay, nay?

CyyKosis
24th Jun 2011, 1:12 AM
I'm still in the process of setting up my neighborhood (perfectionist trait, anyone? :p ) but I thought of another question. So I have the step-child marital status and I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok to have the mother have a different source of financial income (from the secondary income I rolled) before she moves in with my founder. It would make sense story-wise, especially since neither is a typical career. Yay, nay?

As long as that is before she becomes an active member of your household that's fine. You just can't make any money from a career you didn't roll so you'd have to have her switch upon moving in! :)

severedsolo
24th Jun 2011, 1:17 AM
Yeah that's fine. Once she moves in she will have to go to the Secondary Income you rolled though. As I said, I don't seed CAS Sim's beyond Gen 1, so often when partners get moved in they have different jobs. Inactives are not in any way bound by challenge restrictions, even if you do intend to move them in eventually. Restrictions obviously apply to them when they become actives though.

CinderEmma
24th Jun 2011, 2:54 AM
*virtual hugs severedsolo*
I LOVE COMBINING PACKAGES!!! My package folder is now only 465 MB, I loaded my game in TEN (unbelievable difference from the usual half-hour) minutes, and there's less of a lag whenever I go anywhere in the town!!! I LOVE THIS *bounces happily* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ReyaD
24th Jun 2011, 3:12 AM
So I've rolled up to Gen Six. Single parents for every generation after Kori so far...

I don't think I'll be needing to move anyone in for a while :P.

severedsolo
24th Jun 2011, 3:22 AM
*virtual hugs severedsolo*
I LOVE COMBINING PACKAGES!!! My package folder is now only 465 MB, I loaded my game in TEN (unbelievable difference from the usual half-hour) minutes, and there's less of a lag whenever I go anywhere in the town!!! I LOVE THIS *bounces happily* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm getting the impression you're somewhat happy? :rofl:

I had an interesting phenomenon today. I had an active Sim who turned lesbian by herself. Well, I say turned lesbian, she started rolling wishes to flirt with females. I have never seen a Sim go gay without being nudged in the right direction before, I wonder if that's new?

On a slightly creepier note, during his midlife crisis her dad also rolled a wish to flirt with the female Sim that the above gay Sim wanted to flirt with. and the target of his affections had only just become a teen.

Maybe she's just discovered the secret to being irresistable =/

EA have actually done a REALLY good job on the Midlife Crisis thing. I got curious about it because both my Gen 2 Sims, (husband and wife) got Midlife Criseses and I was wondering what the conditions were that triggered it. So I fired up S3PE and took a look. It seems that the more "tied down" a Sim's life is, ie: If they are married, how many kids they have, how crappy they are doing in their career, the more likely they are to have a Midlife Crisis. Its unusual for me to say this, but good job EA! They actually thought it through. Now why couldn't they put that much effort into Romantic Rep?

lexibittinger
24th Jun 2011, 3:41 AM
Okay, so I know this may sound silly and it might have already have been asked.
I really want to do this challenge but I have absolutely NO IDEA what you mean by rolling. Yeah, I'm a noob. But, this confuses me :P
Sorry about this :P

severedsolo
24th Jun 2011, 3:45 AM
Okay, so I know this may sound silly and it might have already have been asked.
I really want to do this challenge but I have absolutely NO IDEA what you mean by rolling. Yeah, I'm a noob. But, this confuses me :P
Sorry about this :P

No problem :) Welcome to the challenge. It's quite simple really, the Challenge has 4 sections of goals. Each section has a number of different options, which is determined randomly.

You basically have 2 options to generate the challenge goals. You can either download the Challenge app a few pages back (but it hasn't been updated for the latest rule changes yet). Or, if you go here: http://www.random.org/integers/ you'll find a random number generator. Just tell it to generate 1 number between whatever the number of options for each section is, and then look it up in the table :) Of course you could just roll a dice, but 20 sided dice aren't exactly common, unless you happen to be a major wargaming geek like me of course :P

BTW boys and girls: in case you don't know, MTS is going down for a few days at some point today, so I'll speak to you all soon :)

ReyaD
24th Jun 2011, 4:12 AM
Dang, well to any who get to read this, I'll be updating on and off anyway. Wrists are mostly better now. (Doc is making me wear wrist braces. REALLY annoying to type with).

AlmaDelCore20
24th Jun 2011, 4:15 AM
I WILL MISS YOU ALL.

But I guess it gives me an opportunity not to update my legac- -shot-

Redhead Creations
24th Jun 2011, 4:37 AM
Noooo! How will I live wihout MTS??

I guess I'll just have to play the game instead of troll the forums... =)

See ya all after maintenance!

ReyaD
24th Jun 2011, 4:37 AM
Gives me a chance to get back into my habit of having three chapters done before posting any.

corihummel77
24th Jun 2011, 7:37 AM
Then I'll post a quick update now while I have chance:
http://grenierfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. This is the first time I've done this as a blog and I would appreciate any input :) Thanks!!!

kirajmp
24th Jun 2011, 8:14 AM
Moonstone Manor update.

More dark red hair. Who knew that hair would be one of the defining elements of this legacy back when Garnet seduced Sinbad in generation 1? All natural too, except the one generation that had adopted kids.

Coal reveals his 'something awesome'. I have a mod that'll let me plant seeds on community lots, so it is doable :)

Generation 7 Chapter 3 (http://kirajmpmoonstone.blogspot.com/2011/06/gen-7-ch-3.html)

BlindingEchoes
24th Jun 2011, 8:30 AM
Last updates before the site goes down for maintenance.

Chapter Nine (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-nine-life-makes-love-look-hard.html) Chapter Ten (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-ten-well-have-joys-outnumbered.html) and Chapter Eleven (start of Gen 2) (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-eleven-like-shotgun-needs.html)

Cheers! :beer:

ReyaD
24th Jun 2011, 9:16 AM
Last one before the shut down!

Ch. 47 : Forever Under the Stars Gen 4!

http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/ch-47-forever-under-stars.html

CyyKosis
28th Jun 2011, 5:28 PM
Yay we're back up! New post too just now while I was waiting: Chapter 8 - Bonjour Madam http://vivazrandomlegacy.blogspot.com

Redhead Creations
28th Jun 2011, 6:36 PM
Yay!!! How I've missed ya'll!

For those who didn't catch it, the Cagley story was updated:

http://cagleylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-five-girl-on-fire.html

The next chapter is coming tomorrow, me thinks!

Thank you for reading and I've been stalking all your stories for updates as well. =)

CinderEmma
28th Jun 2011, 7:21 PM
I updated twice during the shut down :) For anybody who missed it, some big plot changes have started to take effect.

Chapter Thirteen
http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-thirteen-confession-time.html

Chapter Fourteen
http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-fourteen-agonizing-knowledge.html

And I've added the Marlin Family Tree as my latest gadget :) You get a sneak peak preview of Thorne as a child (very handsome!) and Rosaline in her IF form :) And I find it FREAKY how much Tyson looks like Ned and Nathalie, I didn't think he looked that much like Nathalie until I put this tree up!
http://www.familyecho.com/?p=START&c=ea2jqiezd7&f=784554248188581070#view:START

I missed MTS sooooo much! I'm happy it's back!

AlmaDelCore20
28th Jun 2011, 8:18 PM
YAY, IT'S BACK.

I didn't update while I was gone just because I had a question or two and I wanted to clarify them to make sure I didn't break any base rules.

I think most of us can agree that, at the base of it, plot is far more important than rules, and if you have to hedge past one or two in the interest of making a good story, then don't hesitate to do so. But I figure that I should double-check just in case. My second generation rolled Single Parent With Help for the marital status, and I was thinking of having Kyle's big sister Freya be the help. But I'm also itching to do a plot with her. Is it all right if she stays in the house instead of moving out when she's a YA so that I can make this plot happen? Perhaps I don't let her have her secondary income job until Kyle becomes a YA, for example, to make it clear that I'm not using her to cheat at all. Thoughts?

CinderEmma
28th Jun 2011, 8:21 PM
I would think that's okay, as long as she's following the rules with the Single Parent with Help. After all, from Calisim's legacy (Gen. 2) Gibson and Jasmin were "siblings" in a way and Gibson was her help.

NutsAndDolts
28th Jun 2011, 8:37 PM
That's perfectly fine, Alma.

Redhead Creations
28th Jun 2011, 8:41 PM
I was under the impression it was ok to have Siblings be the "Help" as well. I think the idea is that you only have two adults in the house, or two incomes at most. In this case, I would say your hunch is a good one that she shouldn't get the "second income" until Kyle becomes a YA.

ReyaD
28th Jun 2011, 8:47 PM
Updates! (Oh how I've missed you all).

Also: I'll be going to L.A. for two weeks starting Thursday so updates will be on and off, if at all.

Ch. 47: http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/ch-47-forever-under-stars.html

Ch. 48: http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/ch-48-moving-day.html

Ch. 49: http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/ch-49-graduation.html

AlmaDelCore20
28th Jun 2011, 8:50 PM
See, my issue wasn't a sibling being 'the help,' and I'm sorry if that confused everyone. xD It was that I was going to keep her in the house, even though she grows into a YA the day after Kyle turns into only a teen. I wanted to be sure that if I went on with my plot people wouldn't be like "You really needed to move her out, you know. >8| She's a YA now."

Redhead Creations
28th Jun 2011, 8:53 PM
While I suppose "technically" the rule would be you'd need to move her out until Kyle becomes a YA, then move her back in, I'd go with Nuts' response of "That's perfectly fine". Hehe I look forward to seeing this plot you're working out, though, it must be good if it's worth a little rule bending! =)

[EDIT] Reya, did you get my message regarding the Family Echo site and your family tree? I had to send it to you through Blogger, as MTS was down.

AlmaDelCore20
28th Jun 2011, 8:54 PM
I hope it is? I'm sure it'll entertain SOMEONE, at least. xD

Also, I'm loving all the updates, guys. :) I missed this place.

ReyaD
28th Jun 2011, 8:57 PM
Redhead Creations: I did not... You can send messages through Blogger? O_o

Anarathiel
28th Jun 2011, 9:05 PM
Hi guys! I haven't been on because of exams D:
I have got exams until the end of this week!

In game generation 2 has aged up:

Marital Structure: Second Chance
No. Children: 3 Children
Primary Income: Firefighter
Secondary Income: Inventor
Generation Goal: Expansionist
Misc Fun: Runs In The Family

NutsAndDolts
28th Jun 2011, 9:14 PM
No, I think that's perfectly within the spirit of the rules, Alma.

Though it does make me wonder about moving the partners of heirs in early. I almost moved Kirk Khan in with Yasu when they were both still teenagers, because of the family troubles I invented for him in the story. His mom being a criminal was real though. o.O

CinderEmma
28th Jun 2011, 9:15 PM
Sounds like a good roll Anarathiel :)

I'm curious, does anybody here not roll for their heir? I don't, I like choosing based on the rule/genetics, but I'm feeling kind of sad that I can't make Thorne the heir :( I'm getting so attached to him and Rosaline :(

Also, can you use two death flowers on one sim? (yes, Ned's fished up two death seeds, and his gardening is high enough that he can grow them). I'm really freaking out that I won't get my perfect career, Ned fishes ALL THE FREAKING TIME and he's still only level 5 in the fishing career :( *cries* Then again, he was like 5 days into his adulthood when I moved him in. But Nathalie's so much younger and is at a far level 6 and she often only does one job a night.

NutsAndDolts
28th Jun 2011, 9:15 PM
Ugh, double post. Sorta.

The site was being really strange for me.

ReyaD
28th Jun 2011, 9:16 PM
I'd say go for it, Alma. As long as theres no income and she doesn't do TOO much around the house (All the childcare/cleaning) then I think it should be fine.

NutsAndDolts
28th Jun 2011, 9:18 PM
ebec, I only roll for heir when I feel like it.

ReyaD
28th Jun 2011, 9:19 PM
I always roll for heir. I just find it easier... (I suck at making decisions)

CinderEmma
28th Jun 2011, 9:26 PM
That's good :) At least I'm not the only one, I just like having a choice :P And Tyson is smoking hot when he's YA, while Thorne is a bit more rugged then I'm normally used to, though he's very handsome too. Nathalie makes good babies XD Plus I rolled Investigator, perfect for my hot-headed little rebel, while Thorne's traits were made so I could experiment with the effects of certain traits with painting :D (Insane being one was a boon) And no, I'm not selling them, the house needed some more decoration, and I want it to eventually look like NutsandDolts where there is decor from all the different generations :)
I just wouldn't want to play one sim but being forced to play another because of a roll.

AlmaDelCore20
28th Jun 2011, 9:31 PM
Oh God, I'm having a problem. OTL Anyone else have that problem where you start to put a chapter together and you look at all your screenshots and eventually go "These are all crap. But I can't reshoot anything. FFFFFFFFFFFF..." This is going to be my suckiest chapter ever. xD

Also, I feel you, ebec. OTL I'm really having to get used to the idea that Kyle is my heir, especially since I've been focusing on a plotpoint for Freya for longer. I'm starting to think about not rolling for heir after this. -rubs chin-

CinderEmma
28th Jun 2011, 9:35 PM
I just like it's an optional rule, otherwise I don't know if I would be playing XD Or I would be breaking the rule every generation :P

CyyKosis
28th Jun 2011, 9:37 PM
Another update :) More of a filler really though

Chapter 9! (http://vivazrandomlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-9-routines-are-good.html)

Redhead Creations
28th Jun 2011, 10:43 PM
I have to roll for the heir, it makes it more of a random thing for me. I was even going to roll for random traits for every sim, every generation, but then I saw that was a special "Misc Fun" (I think that was the category?) roll, so decided to only do it then. I just don't like having to pick an heir. Though that leaves me with the other issue of then neglecting all the children that aren't the "chosen one". Double edged sword!

I like the idea I've seen on some blogs where they have a poll so people can vote on who should be the heir. That's kind of fun, but doesn't quite feel like it fits this kind of challenge.

EMMA, yes, I've been in that same spot. In fact, my next chapter is going to be really short because I realized later that I didn't get enough shots!! UGH!

calisims
28th Jun 2011, 10:46 PM
Yay, it's great to have MTS back. I also had some updates over the weekend for anyone who missed them:
Ch. 27:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-27-banshee-banisher.html
Ch 28:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-28-jurassic-technology.html
Ch. 29:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-29-gem-quest.html

Emma, I feel your pain on getting perfect careers with Ned as a fisherman. I brought this up awhile back when I had a spouse in a skill career (writing) with a Perfect Careers roll. The skill based careers require you to sell ridiculous amounts of stuff at the higher levels, and you really have to have your Sim grind to reach level 10. For spouses it's especially difficult as you can't start them in the career as teens like you can for your heir, and they don't always have that skill primed like you can do with your heir. If you marry your spouse right as they turn YA, you have a chance, but an older spouse is not likely to make level 10. In my legacy, Corinne is only 5 days older than my heir, but she still hasn't reached level 10 of the inventing career, and may die before she does. (I'm not doing Perfect Careers, so it's not important, but if I did have the rol, I'd be close to failing right now)
I wanted to waive the perfect careers requirement for spouses in skill careers because of this. But the discussion went nowhere. Maybe we can discuss it again? I'd hate to see people fail because the difficulty level on that is so much higher than it is for rabbithole jobs.

AlmaDelCore20
28th Jun 2011, 10:50 PM
http://randallfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-10-suspicion.html

Chapter 10! I apologize that it's not as interesting as it could be. OTL I'm gonna get better at choosing what to cap, I promise!

NutsAndDolts
28th Jun 2011, 11:10 PM
I agree with the skill careers and spouses thing being a problem with perfect careers.

How should we handle it? Should we give an option to re-roll and get something other than perfect careers if the secondary career turns up as a skill career? Or an option to re-roll the secondary career until it's not a skill career?

calisims
28th Jun 2011, 11:23 PM
It would probably be easier to reroll the goal, since secondary careers are weighted toward the skill careers.

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 12:13 AM
It would be easier if Nathalie wasn't a ghost hunter, as it's hard to focus on Ned when she's hunting.

I think it should be an optional reroll, as I think it's more possible for skill careers like painting where the price increases a lot with the quality increasing. The fish are almost exactly the same no matter what bait I use or what quality fish I get :( He's literally fishing until he's starving and exhausted...

Should I just give up with Ned right now since he's elder and focus on Nathalie? I just don't like giving up, but I just don't see how it's possible at this point.

calisims
29th Jun 2011, 12:27 AM
It's true, some of the skill careers are better money makers than others. The reroll should definitely be optional, but I think we should allow it. Or waive the requirement for spouses. Since not every goal requires spouses to complete them.
If Ned is an elder and only level 5, you don't have much hope for him.

severedsolo
29th Jun 2011, 12:41 AM
Why not just drop the requirement to reach Level 10 in a skill career? Say they have to master the skill, but not the career. As it stands right now people without Ambitions actually have an advantage. You don't have to register as self-employed to make money off of it after all.

I just like it's an optional rule, otherwise I don't know if I would be playing XD Or I would be breaking the rule every generation :P
Well it's always going to be optional so you don't need to worry about that :p Personally I really like it, (well it was my idea...) but I wouldn't force it on anyone. Especially as the way I play, if a Sim gets pregnant/gets another Sim pregnant while a teen (oopsie baby) then that Sim automatically becomes heir.

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I was planning on at least one death flower, but even then it's iffy. I just hope this doesn't mean I've completely failed the challenge, I've tried my best.

EDIT: I like the idea, at least for the spouse, to get to just level 10. Ned's almost level ten, he was just about to get there when he turned elder, and I was so upset about it (both that this generation is ending and the whole not reaching my goal thing) I had to save and quit.

calisims
29th Jun 2011, 1:47 AM
Why not just drop the requirement to reach Level 10 in a skill career? Say they have to master the skill, but not the career. As it stands right now people without Ambitions actually have an advantage. You don't have to register as self-employed to make money off of it after all.

That sounds good.

AlmaDelCore20
29th Jun 2011, 3:11 AM
This is really random, but there's an episode of America's Got Talent on in the next room and there's music playing from The Sims in the background of the introduction, from one of the Buy screens. I wish I knew which one it is, but it's the one where the strings are really pizzicato and you feel like dancing around and it's really happy and stuff. I'm so confused.

Also, I agree with the assertion made, that the Sim should only have to max their skill instead of reach the highest level. I mean, I've had Leda writing novels nonstop since she became an adult and she's only at maybe level 8. It's insane. OTL Thank goodness she doesn't have Perfect Career.

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 4:08 AM
I'm going to sleep now guys, I'm going shopping early for my niece's birthday tomorrow :) Buying presents for toddlers is both extremely hard and super fun :)
I have half a chapter done, so I'll update late tomorrow :)

AlmaDelCore20
29th Jun 2011, 5:39 AM
@Ebec, pssh, it'll be easy! Just get them a snugglepal, a peg box, and a xylophone. 8D

Finaleia
29th Jun 2011, 5:59 AM
I love this challenge but have a really hard time getting into it initially... and I love that reroll button on the program! Sigh! But, I'm going to most likely blog this time so that way I won't be tempted to reroll. Wish me luck. If I have any questions, I'll just direct them here. Love everyone's blogs.

BlindingEchoes
29th Jun 2011, 7:59 AM
Whee! Glad to have MTS back, i know most have seen my updates already but just in case. The updates since i last posted are - Chapter 12 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-twelve-we-could-have-everything.html) - Chapter 13 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-thirteen-scars-of-your-love.html) - Chapter 14 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-fourteen-what-have-you-done.html) - Chapter 15 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-fifteen-well-i-felt-something.html) and Chapter 16 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-sixteen-please-dont-be-in-love.html)

I'm surprised i got that many done considering how much my game has been glitching on me, i swear it hates me sometimes :faceslap:

Edit: Speaking of it hating me, chime in on this guys. My current gen rolled two kids, half siblings, that's all done. But my couple autonomously either risky woohoo'd or tried for baby while i was following a different sim in a different part of the house, that's what i get for watching the kid cooking on the toy stove lol, i didn't even know the other two were awake. Anyway, now the sim is pregnant, which would exceed the gen's rolled amount of children, should i end the pregnancy or allow it to carry out, roll be damned? FYI, i don't have any personal issues against ending the sims pregnancy, so i've no problems doing it, just wondering if i have too or not. Hmm, decisions decisions.

calisims
29th Jun 2011, 12:56 PM
The rules currently allow 'accidental' extra children in the form of twins or triplets (which people use to accidentally on purpose get extra kids sometimes) so I would say an 'accident' caused by a risky/autonomous woohoo mod should be allowed.

Welcome to the challenge, Finaleia. Let us know how your challenge goes, and if you get a blog going.

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 1:35 PM
She already has stuffed animals up the wazoo, she already has a xylophone, and her coordination is actually very good, so pegbox thing is out. We need to get her brain motoring, as she's been bored with all her toys lately. I'm thinking of getting her a few games, a book, and a fish (yes, a fish, she's obsessed with Dorthy from Elmo's World.)

I think if it was on purpose risky, bye bye baby, but since it was auto, I think you should keep.

NutsAndDolts
29th Jun 2011, 1:56 PM
I'd probably end the pregnancy and never mention it myself. But what other people do is none of my concern. xD

I've never used an autonomous woohoo mod.

calisims
29th Jun 2011, 2:31 PM
I've never used an autonomous/risky woohoo mod (in Sims 3), but I am using Buzzler's interaction mod, which has a socialize option that can result in Sims autonomously trying for baby if you leave a couple in a romantic socialization routine. But I'm such a control freak on my Sims they rarely get their socialization worked up high enough for woohoo to be an option before I'm riding them to do something else. I like fewer rather than more children, so I'd probably end any accidental pregnancies if they managed it, but, yeah, what other people do is not my concern, too.

NutsAndDolts
29th Jun 2011, 2:38 PM
Initially I was always wanting more kids because I liked to see how they turned out, but after several generations I began to prefer less, to minimize the inbreeding and cousin population.

Redhead Creations
29th Jun 2011, 2:42 PM
Also, doesn't that mean that this new kid is the heir? According to Severedsolo's rule?

"If using a "Risky Woohoo" Mod and a "Teen Woohoo" Mod (I cant see this issue occuring otherwise) then if one of your Sims becomes pregnant or impregnates another Sim (accidentally or not) that Sim is automatically the heir regardless of whom you choose."

But again, I'm sure people would overlook that. heh =)

[EDIT] My game is played in a strictly Catholic way (not because of that, but, you know what I mean)... haha My sims never even WooHoo unless they're trying for a baby. Poor guys, they never get to have any fun!!

musicalgirl2010
29th Jun 2011, 2:48 PM
I love this challenge but have a really hard time getting into it initially... and I love that reroll button on the program! Sigh! But, I'm going to most likely blog this time so that way I won't be tempted to reroll. Wish me luck. If I have any questions, I'll just direct them here. Love everyone's blogs.

I know how you feel! I love this challenge but I never seam to get past gen. 2 and I also reroll a lot I tried the Blog thing to but ran into a problem with my game and had to stop. I think I will try again soon though!

Redhead Creations
29th Jun 2011, 2:58 PM
But that's what makes this challenge fun for me, getting those rolls where I think "how is THIS going to work??". Then again, I've only had two rolls so far, but I love the idea of being forced into playing the game in a new way, or a way I haven't played before.

Speaking of which, I have a very small update! (See Ebec & I's issue with not taking sufficient pictures, heh).

http://cagleylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-1-part-6-warmth-of-sun.html

Finaleia
29th Jun 2011, 3:09 PM
But that's what makes this challenge fun for me, getting those rolls where I think "how is THIS going to work??". Then again, I've only had two rolls so far, but I love the idea of being forced into playing the game in a new way, or a way I haven't played before.

I know. I guess I just get overwhelmed easily. But, I made my rolls and couple and I'll be posting my first entry sometime today! I got:

Couple
2 Kids
Primary: Culinary
Secondary: Day Care
Party to Remember
Hands Off

Question on the party... when does it need to be done by? Before my heir reaches YA?

Redhead Creations
29th Jun 2011, 3:37 PM
Hey guys, hit up the store quick, the Regal Living Kitchen set is free! (I've read that it's only free today, so get it fast!)

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:18075&categoryId=11488&scategoryId=12091&pcategoryId=12086&ppcategoryId=12857

The stove looks like it'd be perfect for those "Living in the Past" rolls. =)

FINALEIA: I don't know the answer to your Party question, but someone more knowledgeable should be coming along shortly. =)

Finaleia
29th Jun 2011, 3:47 PM
Awesome find Redhead. Thanks for that!

severedsolo
29th Jun 2011, 4:21 PM
I'd say keep the child but it can't be heir personally *shrug* I've had that a couple of times myself, and just played like that. The challenge never punishes autonomous actions, so why start now?

OT a little: BlindingEchoes what mod are you using? I was using Baxim's version of EGC for that, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

calisims
29th Jun 2011, 4:47 PM
@Finaleia, Party to Remember needs to be done before heir hits YA.
@severedsolo, I think BlindingEchoes is using Twalllan's woohooer mod. But she'll correct me if I'm wrong.

CyyKosis
29th Jun 2011, 7:37 PM
... and I love that reroll button on the program!

I haven't updated my program since severed updated his, and I don't think he has since the rules have been changed... just FYI.

Edit: Ugh. I have been trying to play my legacy for a few days now but kept getting BSOD's at least 3 or 4 times a day while playing. Thankfully I had a few chapters worth of screens so I could update those instead, but it kept crashing while doing that too! Fortunately after debugging my dump files I found that my memory card reader is all buggy so I took the SD card out and it hasn't happened since... weird huh? Anywho, enough of the technical nonsense. Basically what I am trying to say is that I should have a super long (well for me 26 pics is super long xD) chapter up in a little bit :)

BlindingEchoes
29th Jun 2011, 8:20 PM
Normally if i want more kids running around i just turn those annoying IF's real and poof, insta-kid. Meh, i dunno what i'll do, the house is pretty full as it is since the grandma's seem to be sticking around, tough old broads that they are. I'll let it run it's course and see what happens.

@severedsolo Like Cali said, i use Twallan's woohooer. His are pretty much the only script mods i use besides a few tuning mods here and there that i just can't live without, normally i have it tuned that all woohoo is risky, really should change that considering the challenge so there aren't more oopsies.

@Redhead Great find! I have that set and thought the same thing, perfect for the 'living in the past' rolls. Only thing is the darn stove always gives the 'uneven' cooking moodlet, annoying or i'd use it in all my houses cause it's purdy ^^

Edit: Chapter Seventeen (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-seventeen-all-i-know-is-youre.html) is now up :)

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 8:48 PM
Yay, chapter 15 is done :) I have to say, although Thorne isn't my heir, he's one of my favourite sims. I just wouldn't have made a sim like him, but he's super awesome :D
Even when he's out of the house, he's going to make some reappearances, preferably with a few babies XD

http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-fifteen-seriously-have-some-fun.html

Shopping was interesting, I got the games I wanted to buy her, but the fish bowls are $6.99 and $9.99 in one store, and $22.99 and $25.99 in another store 0_o I don't like to support big stores, but the difference is waaaaay too much to ignore.

severedsolo
29th Jun 2011, 9:37 PM
"If using a "Risky Woohoo" Mod and a "Teen Woohoo" Mod (I cant see this issue occuring otherwise) then if one of your Sims becomes pregnant or impregnates another Sim (accidentally or not) that Sim is automatically the heir regardless of whom you choose."

But again, I'm sure people would overlook that. heh =)

Nah, that rule means that if a Teen Sim gets another Sim pregnant, BEFORE they hit YA (and so before coming into the inheritance) they become the heir. In other words, the first Sim of a generation to become a parent while an active Sim, is the heir. That doesn't apply here, as the parent's are already the heirs.

I had completely forgot that I had actually put that in there. :huh: That's the way I play it, but I didn't actually realise that I had put it in. Feel free to ignore that rule :) it shall be shifted into optional in the morning

And no, I haven't updated the program yet, the smarter career rolls are giving me some problems :)

Redhead Creations
29th Jun 2011, 9:50 PM
Ahh, that makes sense, Severedsolo. I kinda pieced that together based on your last reply to BlindingEchoes, but it's good to have that clarification. =)

Since I already roll for heirs, I guess it wouldn't hurt me much to have a "forced heir" situation, though I know a lot of people would have a problem with that kind of control being taken away.

CyyKosis
29th Jun 2011, 9:51 PM
That's what makes programming so fun! I've always personally liked figuring out how to code the intensive stuff rather than the same-old same-old :)

New: Chapter 10 (http://vivazrandomlegacy.blogspot.com)
I had to navigate some world adventures problems to get this chapter set up. I wish it weren't so buggy.

severedsolo
29th Jun 2011, 10:46 PM
Since I already roll for heirs, I guess it wouldn't hurt me much to have a "forced heir" situation, though I know a lot of people would have a problem with that kind of control being taken away.

Yeah, when I came up with that one it was meant to be used in conjunction with the "famous heir rule". At the time we didn't have an "official" set of rules, because Tigger had abandoned us, so we were all playing our own variation on house rules (which is actually where most of the original rules in this version came from.) that rule, and the famous heir were in my set of house rules that I was playing with. Hence why I meant to make that optional. No idea why I stuck it in official rules.

Edit: Ya know, There comes a point when you realise you play Sim's far too much. I think I just reached that point....

I just got back from work, and brought a client's computer with a dead motherboard with me, to salvage for parts. First thing I did was take the Hard Drive out and stick it in my computer, then sat there trying to decide what to use it for. For several minutes I actually seriously considered just devoting it to Sims stuff. How sad is that? :rofl:

CinderEmma
29th Jun 2011, 10:47 PM
You guys were right about the soulless black eyes, creeeeeepy! I did not take a picture of Rosaline pre-makeover, but she had green/brown hair, dark brown skin, and the black eyes. Completely the opposite of what the doll looked like. The colours of the IF were really fair, I thought she was going to have beige or even neon yellow hair...not darkish green 0_o You'll just have to wait and see what she looks like now, it should be in about 3 or 4 chapters :)

ReyaD
30th Jun 2011, 12:27 AM
Well Starr is on haitus until I get back from L.A. in two weeks. Sorry guys, but I don't think I'll be able to play while I'm there, and I don't know if I'll even be taking my game.

(Is it true that airport scanners blank out disks? I thought it was just a dumb myth but I don't like taking chances.)

NutsAndDolts
30th Jun 2011, 12:40 AM
Lol... I kept Nero's blue hair and creepy black eyes. But I gave him blue skin to even it out, so it works for me.

Reya: no, airport scanners don't use magnets, so they won't hurt your disks. Else, no one would take their laptops and smart phones on airplanes. ;)

severedsolo
30th Jun 2011, 12:46 AM
Well Starr is on haitus until I get back from L.A. in two weeks. Sorry guys, but I don't think I'll be able to play while I'm there, and I don't know if I'll even be taking my game.

(Is it true that airport scanners blank out disks? I thought it was just a dumb myth but I don't like taking chances.)

Only if you are in the habit of carrying your hard drive around with the magnetic platters on display.... but frankly if you're doing that then a little EM interference is the least of your worries :P. The actual amount of electro-magnetic radiation produced by the X-ray's are highly unlikely to wipe it under any circumstances. I would go so far as to say it's a statistical impossibility.

Back in the day, it was quite common for magnetic disks to be wiped by stray electro-magnetic interference. Even placing a floppy near your speaker was enough to wipe it sometimes. Nowadays though it just doesn't happen. Your PC probably produces a bigger magnetic field than those scanners. Even if it did, it's much more likely to zero a few empty clusters than anything useful, or indeed anything that your PC can't work around.

Of course there is always that one time... but nah, you should be fine.

For the record ;) Smartphones use flash memory, and are immune to EM radiation anyway :P As all Hard Drives will be when SSD's become cheaper.

Sorry... /geekfest

NutsAndDolts
30th Jun 2011, 1:06 AM
Sorry I actually don't know anything about smart phones. =(

I don't want to financially support the inevitable takeover of my planet by mechanical beings, you see.

severedsolo
30th Jun 2011, 1:25 AM
I don't want to financially support the inevitable takeover of my planet by mechanical beings, you see.

Oh no neither do I. People just expect me to know about them. For some reason "the IT guy" translates into "knows about phones" despite them being only vaguely related to each other.

I guess the advice is the same either way, "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" (Cookie if you get the reference :P )

CyyKosis
30th Jun 2011, 2:02 AM
I guess the advice is the same either way, "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" (Cookie if you get the reference :P )

YES. And of course that never works, not to mention it takes forever if you have any windows or blackberry type of phone...

NutsAndDolts
30th Jun 2011, 2:15 AM
*noms cookie*

The next chapter of my blog is up.

http://r2simslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-94-gnome-magic.html

I think it will only go for one more chapter before the next legacy begins in blog form.

I'm told that teen Nero looks like Bob from Reboot. =(

ReyaD
30th Jun 2011, 2:32 AM
Oh. Awesome. Thanks for that, guys. Now I'll take my game disk with me for just in case I get time to play down there... you never know. My aunt was sort of a Sims junkie back in the day so Sims 3 would probably blow her mind.

Nuts: YES! YES HE DOES. Gosh that was bugging me, you have no idea. I knew he looked like someone! Wow you have no idea how relieved I am now.

... Okay off to watch Reboot- I mean read updates. >_>

ReyaD
30th Jun 2011, 5:32 AM
Double pooooost

Last update for a while:

Ch. 50: Luz de la Luna http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/luz-de-la-louna.html

There are easier ways to say "Moonlight" ... I don't like doing things the easy way. ^^

calisims
30th Jun 2011, 1:45 PM
I have an update, Chapter 30:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-30-tomb-raiders.html

Have fun on your trip, Reya.

Redhead Creations
30th Jun 2011, 5:14 PM
Have a great trip, Reya!! While I can't see you getting into a big heavy gameplay session, I'm sure your Aunt would love to see how the Sims has probably changed a lot since she played. =)

I'm thinking I'll have another update tomorrow! I don't want to bring them on too fast and furious or I'm afraid I'll have to go too long without one if I get all caught up. heh

CyyKosis
30th Jun 2011, 11:19 PM
Random question... Does anyone know of a mod to fix parents going to a different floor to take care of a toddler? ie: Caroline and Rose are both in the nursery and she wants to change Rose's dirty diaper so she goes to the first floor instead of just bending over and picking her up? It's annoying cause toddlers obviously can't use stairs so then I have to move the toddler to the first floor just so they're taken care of.

BlindingEchoes
1st Jul 2011, 12:16 AM
@Maddiecosis I have that happen all the time to me, it's a pathway error where there's not enough space on the floor to face the toddler. What usually works is locking the door of the nursery so that the adult can't go anywhere else but there, forcing them to find a way to pick the baby up. Either that or move everything in the room so it's flat against the wall and nowhere near the center of the room.

Also, Chapters eighteen (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-eighteen.html), nineteen (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-nineteen-i-have-to-go-and-leave.html) and twenty (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-twenty-do-you-know-that-theres.html) are up, yay.

CyyKosis
1st Jul 2011, 12:24 AM
Well there is enough space in the hallway that they walk through to get to the stairs... it's 3 tiles wide now that I've tested that. Still happens :/

BlindingEchoes
1st Jul 2011, 12:35 AM
It is one of the most annoying pathway things, but i've never found anything to fix it, just found ways around it with the door locking thing. Maybe someone else has found a way to fix it, hopefully, cause it can be tiring telling the adult to go change or feed a baby, over and over again only to have it walk down a flight of stairs and ignore you. If i could wring their little sim necks for doing so, i would.

AlmaDelCore20
1st Jul 2011, 5:18 AM
http://randallfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/06/chapter-11-misunderstandings.html

Chapter 11~! I think it might be my longest, or at least the most pictures, of any of my chapters thus far.

And oh my gosh, I HATE that pathway bug thingyamabob! Everyone kept doing it at the old Randall house because the babies lived in the basement, and it always drove me up a freaking wall. And, of course, they only did it if I set them up for a long chain of actions and then left them to tend to another Sim, trusting that all would be well. OTL

CinderEmma
1st Jul 2011, 5:24 AM
I withdrew myself from the contest, and I have no clue when I'll have the motivation to post up my next chapter. I have the material, but I can't seem to get past the chapter's title.
Hopefully I'll get out of this funk soon, but I just feeling like I'm sinking...and sinking tends to bad for my overall mental health. Great.

calisims
1st Jul 2011, 5:41 AM
Emma, *hugs* I hope your funk doesn't last long.

CinderEmma
1st Jul 2011, 5:47 AM
Me too, I was really excited about that contest, and now I feel horrible just thinking about it. Probably no more contests for me, at least not for a while. My legacy should still run, especially since I just take snapshots while I'm playing instead of changing my whole playing style for a contest.

I've been dealing with clinical depression for years and years, so funks are ultra scary. It's really hard for me to tell, now that my mental state is somewhat normal (probably is still depressed for most people, but at least not constantly on the blink of hospitalization) for several months, whether this is a funk or the start of depression again. Either way, I return the hug and thank you for it. I know it would be a real one if we weren't in virtual land.

Maybe I can sleep the worst of it off, though if I'm being real with myself, the past month has been difficult and could be "pre-depression". Ugh, I'm freaking tired of fighting all the time for normal.

Sorry to bug people on the board, if I'm still in a funk in the morning/afternoon (I'm planning on some sleeping in) I'll PM somebody.

BlindingEchoes
1st Jul 2011, 8:47 AM
Totally off topic of the challenge, but question, anyone ever have a musical sim? I don't mean a sim that plays music, i mean an actually musical sim, one that has music follow them around wherever they go? My heir just randomly started doing that, guitar music is following her around. It's apparently a sound effect because whenever i mute the 'sound effects' in the option panel said music stops, but it's kind of annoying even though it sounds like the beginning to the Firefly theme song.

NutsAndDolts
1st Jul 2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry you're feeling bad ebec. =( I know what it's like to have thoughts that you can't choose to banish.

What's the contest you keep talking about?

Hmm... not to change the subject, but here's my latest error: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3566687&posted=1#post3566687

It's frustrating, since I almost have enough pics to begin my new blog. I plan to end the old one and start the new one at the same time.

calisims
1st Jul 2011, 1:57 PM
I can imagine how hard a struggle that must be Emma, to constantly fight for normal. *hugs again*

Nuts, I vaguely remember in my Barnacle Bay, community lots and objects took a really long time to load at first. But if they are never appearing at all, I've never encountered or heard of anything like that. I really hope you can get that sorted and start up your new legacy.

I have an update:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-31-flow-of-words.html

Redhead Creations
1st Jul 2011, 3:55 PM
BlindingEchoes: Yes!! That happened to Morand recently, the guitar music was constantly playing from him, even though he's never touched a guitar in his little sim-life. I can't remember how I got rid of it, either by resetting the sim, or it went away the next time I loaded up the game. But it was really very annoying.

Emma: I'm sorry to hear of your struggles, I certainly hope you are feeling better soon, as much as that's worth. *hugs*

I also have an update: http://cagleylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-1-part-7-take-hold-of-flame.html

Unfortunately, my internet is out at home again, so I probably won't be able to update again until Wednesday, I know you'll all be waiting patiently. HAHA =)

Luckily I'll still be able to access the board and keep up on other's stories!

CinderEmma
1st Jul 2011, 6:28 PM
The Make a Model Contest, it's already done accepting applications though. Sleep has helped, but I'm still a bit off. I just hope I stay in "normal" land for a little bit.
Good updates everyone :)

CinderEmma
1st Jul 2011, 8:16 PM
Yay, finally managed to get a chapter (abet a rather gloomy and odd little chapter, but it's a chapter) done!
http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-sixteen-reality-isnt-real-says.html

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 12:26 AM
@Red: Well at least i know i'm not alone with my odd guitar ghost music lol. My entire computer crashed soon after i posted my question, so by the time i got it running again and found my poor game that luckily didn't die, the music was gone, thankfully. Seriously, i would have killed the kid off just to get the damn music to stop if i had too lol, but i'm kinda evil that way ;)

Anyway, a quick update before i have to spend my Canada Day long weekend running after kids. Chapter 21 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-twenty-one-children-and-animals.html), enjoy.

Also, any Canadians out there, happy Canada Day, have one on me :beer: Cheers!

severedsolo
2nd Jul 2011, 12:45 AM
I'm disappearing for a few days :) Birthday shenanigans, can't really say any more, as I don't know myself yet :p the girlfriend has just told me that we are "going away" somewhere.... and there won't be internet access.

No internet access? Sometimes I wonder whether this woman knows me at all :rofl:

Done a quick update on the blog before I go, nothing major just removed the need for Non-Standards to max Perfect Career's, just the skill. Also shifted the Teen Woohoo rule into Optional.

Enjoy :)

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 2:55 AM
I'm Canadian too, but I've never been into fireworks and stuff (I'm allergic to mosquito bites), so I'm just having a nice Canada Day at home

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 3:01 AM
@Edec17 Ditto, mosquito bites can cause hospital visits with me so my Canada Day was an indoor one, filled with kids and my new kitten :)

Edit: Chapter 22 (http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-twenty-two-reason-i-love-you-is.html) done with a kitten on my lap lol.

CyyKosis
2nd Jul 2011, 3:39 AM
Yay for kittens! I have one too... while I am not Canadian, I have lived my entire life close to Canada and my day was spent with my kitty :) Happy Canada Day to you guys though!

ReyaD
2nd Jul 2011, 4:07 AM
I'm celebrating Canada Day in the States xD. Spent all day on a building-top pool and had a BBQ and ice cream cake. Happy Canada Day all.

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 4:57 AM
Not hospital visits for me anymore (I did when I was younger, lots of hospital visits), but 3 bites in the same area cause the mosquito poison to start spreading and I need to take copious amounts of Benadryl to make it stop.
I've always lived in Canada, two different parts of Canada (opposite sides of the country, though I won't be more specific on a public board), and I love it here :)

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 5:59 AM
I'm a born and bred Canadian girl myself, mum's a First Nation Indian who grew up on the reserves and dad's from Newfoundland, it's so very sad exactly how Canadian i am sometimes lol. Which begs the question, how much Canadian is too much? ;)

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 1:58 PM
I can't claim I'm that Canadian, having British, French, and I believe Scottish ties in my genetics XD It's so not fair, I have a French grandfather, yet my brain hates the language. Seriously, I've tried for years and I just can't get it!

NutsAndDolts
2nd Jul 2011, 5:43 PM
Though I am genetically related to some diverse groups from different parts of the world, I can claim no cultural link to them, as I was not raised to be anything but a standard American child of the early '90s.

Some of the other kids took pride in saying "I am part this-and-that!", but I gave up trying to fit in with them when their reaction to me was "GASP! YOU MUST BE A NAZI!"

Anyway my glitch randomly went away (?) and I have enough pictures to crop and make an update with this weekend.

ReyaD
2nd Jul 2011, 6:10 PM
I'm full South American but my mother's family claims Canadian citizenship for three generations xD. Fraid my sisters are the only born AND bred Canadians in the entire family. Still, I'm more Canadian then South American.

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 6:17 PM
A nazi communist? Wear that title with pride, if anything it would've made the other kids leave ya alone ;) But then again i'm weird and very politically incorrect. And no worries Ebec17, i don't speak a word of French either. It's a common misconception that all Canadian's can or should speak French, way i see it, wasn't our founding language, was brought over with the European settlers, therefore not a big deal if most Canadian's don't speak their second so called 'national' language.

Anyway enough politics, anyone here know how to read those damn `script errors`from the game? Cause i keep getting one every time i try to get a sim to use the new spell book from the store, it just resets the sim and tells me there's been a script error. Can't fix it until i know what the error is and well, i can't read those error thingies cause i'm a dunderhead :)

severedsolo
2nd Jul 2011, 6:20 PM
Anyway enough politics, anyone here know how to read those damn `script errors`from the game? Cause i keep getting one every time i try to get a sim to use the new spell book from the store, it just resets the sim and tells me there's been a script error. Can't fix it until i know what the error is and well, i can't read those error thingies cause i'm a dunderhead :)

I can't go into massive detail but I could probably tell you roughly what's causing it, if you zip it up and upload it within the next 2 hours before I go away.

On the other thing, I'm English, so it matters not to me where you are from, we hate all foreigners equally ;)

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 6:41 PM
I can't go into massive detail but I could probably tell you roughly what's causing it, if you zip it up and upload it within the next 2 hours before I go away.

On the other thing, I'm English, so it matters not to me where you are from, we hate all foreigners equally ;)

Luckily i'm right here, so i could get it uploaded now ^^ Now, lets all revel in the hate together ;)

severedsolo
2nd Jul 2011, 6:49 PM
Seems to be a problem with the spell book item itself. In laymans terms, it looks like it called either the object, or the Learn Spells interaction (not sure which, but it is definitely a problem with Learn Spells) and it wasn't there.

Is it just sarah ppy having the problem? (That's what the script error says her name is... could be wrong :p) If so, looks like you have a corrupt Sim.

If not, have you tried selling/rebuying the item? Or even uninstalling/reinstalling the pack?

Did you ever have the mod that did the same thing as this? Did you uninstall it properly, including clearing your caches?

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 6:56 PM
I thought it might have been the spell book itself, cause it won't work with any sim. I tried to use it with my legacy game last night, didn't work. The Sarah character is some random one my eight year old made, hence the odd last name, she doesn't quite have the naming thing down yet. I've deleted the object and re-bought it and even reinstalled the pack, which for once i actually paid for and didn't get in other not so honest ways. *sigh* Looks like another wonderful glitchy EA thing they pumped out too quickly :/

severedsolo
2nd Jul 2011, 6:58 PM
MIght be worth trying it in a "clean" hood (ie new game, no mods or non EA CC) just to be sure it's not a conflict.

fairycake89
2nd Jul 2011, 6:58 PM
On the other thing, I'm English, so it matters not to me where you are from, we hate all foreigners equally ;) Helpless belly laugh! :)

I am half English and half Irish so I'll hate/love anyone if you give me enough to drink ;)

ReyaD
2nd Jul 2011, 7:03 PM
Half English Half Irish? How'd THAT happen? All my irish relatives can't stand the english.

BlindingEchoes
2nd Jul 2011, 7:04 PM
MIght be worth trying it in a "clean" hood (ie new game, no mods or non EA CC) just to be sure it's not a conflict.

Think i might, once i have some silence opposed to two kids hyped up on too much sugar lol. It's kinda hard to think with them crawling all over me.

severedsolo
2nd Jul 2011, 7:10 PM
Half English Half Irish? How'd THAT happen? All my irish relatives can't stand the english.

I'll hate/love anyone if you give me enough to drink ;)

That's how :P

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 7:59 PM
Let's just say I live somewhat close to Quebec, making it hard to get a "good" job if you don't speak French. I would consider moving too if my family wasn't all here.

calisims
2nd Jul 2011, 8:23 PM
I have a small update (small meaning less than 20 pics, lol):
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-32-dwindling-flying.html

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 9:48 PM
I got an update too :) Seriously crazy chapter, for obvious reasons when you read the chapter. XD

http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-seventeen-old-man-marlin.html

Redhead Creations
2nd Jul 2011, 10:52 PM
Great updates, guys!

To catch up on the convo, I'm an american mutt, my family has been here long enough to make me part everything, I think. Haha

Game wise, my game has started lagging terribly every time I play, so I'm going to try it without twallan's story personalities and see if that helps. Hopefully!

Internet wise, it's still down, so it doesn't look like I'll be updating any time soon. =( Hope you all don't lose interest, heh!

CyyKosis
2nd Jul 2011, 10:55 PM
I'm loving the new chapters! I'm going to attempt to write one up in a little bit...
I'm American... but also adopted, so I can't even try to represent any country. :)

CinderEmma
2nd Jul 2011, 11:07 PM
It probably will help Red, Twallan's mods are pretty taxing on a lagging computer. I hope your Internet is up soon! (Where are you posting if you have no Internet?)

CyyKosis
2nd Jul 2011, 11:50 PM
Yeesh, I'd hate to have to take out anything Twallan for my game... even if it lagged. They make everything perfect for me and my slightly perfectionist self :)

Redhead Creations
3rd Jul 2011, 2:12 AM
I know Maddie!! I hate to lose the personalities in my world, but it does seem to be helping a little...

Emma, I'm posting on my tablet, it uses cellphone service, so I can access the net from it.

And GRRRR, the store is doing new daily deals every two hours, so I'm going on a buying spree with no way to install the new stuff!! Ultimate buyers remorse...

ReyaD
3rd Jul 2011, 2:19 AM
I think thats the best part about never having my own money. :P Very little buyer's remorse.

I am having lack-of-sims remorse though.... *Eye twitch* ITS HARD.

Has anybody here heard of "NaNoWriMo"? It stands for National Novel Writing Month. Its this event where you wrote a 50000 word story in 30 days, and usually takes place in November. This year they're also hosting "Camp NaNo", which is basically the same thing but in either July or August. To deal with my Sims withdrawl symptoms I'm doing my "novel" on the Starr Legacy. Basically just writing it out as if it were a story instead of a picture based challenge. If anyone's interested in it I might put it on another blog and post the updates until I can go back to Sims.

Redhead Creations
3rd Jul 2011, 2:27 AM
Reya, I have had intentions to do NaNoWriMo for the last four years, but have never managed to fulfill that dream! I wish you all the best, and hats very smart to use a story you already have going for inspiration, as that has been my holdup all this time - no ideas!!

ReyaD
3rd Jul 2011, 2:38 AM
You should at least try one year, Redhead. I've been doing it for almost three (This November will be year three). It was hard my first year, but the more i interact with others who have done/are doing it the easier it becomes. Or just join the Nano chatrooms. Word wars save me every year.

CinderEmma
3rd Jul 2011, 2:46 AM
The longest story I've written is about 15k, a uncompleted Harry Potter fanfiction. Yes, Sims and Harry Potter are my obsessions, deal with it XD

Redhead Creations
3rd Jul 2011, 4:14 AM
Emma, we share the same passions! Haha

Reya, you are right. I just need to bite the bullet and DO IT! =)

BlindingEchoes
3rd Jul 2011, 10:28 AM
Crappy little filler update here - http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-twenty-three-where-is-my-mind.html

I should never attempt to update when hungover lol.

Anarathiel
3rd Jul 2011, 1:23 PM
Chapter 13 is FINALLY up.
I hate being too busy. I have been playing, just not writing!
http://riveralegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-13-mood-swings.html

ChloroformDreams
3rd Jul 2011, 3:00 PM
Hey everyone. I don't expect anyone to remember me, but I was in here about a week ago asking some questions about starting the challenge. Well, I've been reading a couple of your blogs, and have to say I've been enjoying them. As to my own, I've finally managed to put the pen to the metaphorical paper and get my blog up and running.

I'm calling it, The Dawson Diaries, because I'm going to be writing the chapters from the POVs of different members of the family. Hopefully it works out. Anyways, Chapter One can be found here (http://dawsondiarieslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-1-adrian.html). There's also a small Character Bios (http://dawsondiarieslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/character-bios.html) section if any cares to read it, although it does contain some minor spoilers since I only have Chapter One up so far.

Also, I'm sure you guys are all familiar with who has blogs going and whatnot, but I was wondering if there was a list of Random Legacy blogs for newcomers such as myself. I've just been looking at who adds updates to the thread, but I thought I'd ask if there was something more comprehensive.

Anyways, thanks for (hopefully) reading this and please let me know if you have any suggestions with regards to my blog. I've never done anything like this before so constructive criticism would be great.

calisims
3rd Jul 2011, 3:11 PM
I remember you. But then I still remember people who posted at my Sims 1 yahoo groups, lol.
Doing your legacy blog diary style sounds very interesting. I'll go check that out. :D
There isn't any list of Random Legacy blogs. I did think of adding a blog link list to rules blog as a gadget, but we've gotten several people who start a legacy blog and post links in this thread who give up and disappear by the second generation. So it would be a bit of a chore to maintain that on the rules blog.
Going by who posts updates in the thread is probably the best way to keep up with active legacies that are still being updated. My list of blogs I'm 'following' is full of legacies that haven't been updated in ages, including the two chapter legacy of this challenge's founder, lol.

Anarathiel
3rd Jul 2011, 3:28 PM
Cali: you can get rid of my old legacies, they won't do anything

calisims
3rd Jul 2011, 4:34 PM
That's okay, Anarathiel, I don't mind that I have a long list of defunct legacies. I only pay attention to what's updated, anyway.
I wasn't talking about your situation, you had seriously glitches that ended your first legacies early. Since the start of this challenge, we have gotten quite a few people who start a blog for the challenge and just drop it by the second generation. So keeping a list of every legacy blog would be difficult, because we'd be having to keep track of who is updating, and which legacies to drop when they've been abandoned for too long.

severedsolo
3rd Jul 2011, 4:38 PM
Going by who posts updates in the thread is probably the best way to keep up with active legacies that are still being updated. My list of blogs I'm 'following' is full of legacies that haven't been updated in ages, including the two chapter legacy of this challenge's founder, lol.

Are you referring to me or Tigger? lol. Mine went to 8 chapters if I remember rightly...

ChloroformDreams
3rd Jul 2011, 5:39 PM
@calisims: That makes sense, I'll just keep looking at the thread then.

And I have another question. I was originally planning to do one chapter from Adrian's future wife's perspective before she moves in. I didn't really think about the logistics of this until just now. Since I don't want to actually play her family and leave Adrian to his own devices, would it be okay to just snap a couple of pictures from her perspective and not save the game? Most of the shots would be of her and Adrian together anyways, so those could be taken playing as him. I realize it might not be exactly in the spirit of things, but it would only be for one chapter, and it would really flesh things out story-wise. In my mind, it would be like showing what's going on almost parallel to what's happening in Adrian's life but from someone else's perspective. Which is what I intended in writing this blog.

CinderEmma
3rd Jul 2011, 6:15 PM
I think that's okay :) Storyline usually triumphs the rules unless it seriously breaks them, like if you roll something and don't try to complete it, don't have enough children or have too many on purpose, etc. Even then, there are some flexibility, like I wasn't able to get perfect careers for my fishersim (I hate fishing so much after this roll!), and the rules were adjusted to be more realistic for non-standard jobs. Besides, I had to do something (kind of) similar when my IF glitched and I had to redo about 5 days. I didn't use toooo many pictures from that time, but I did use a few to fill in any empty spots from the pictures before the glitch.

And just look at the last 5 pages of posts, I believe everybody who I'm reading and is active have posted an update by then. Though we did get a bit distracted by Canada Day, make it 6-7 pages :giggler:

ChloroformDreams
3rd Jul 2011, 6:34 PM
Yeah, as far as the non-standard careers, I'm a little concerned because I got perfect careers as well and my secondary income is having a band. Band opportunities are seriously glitched, and I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test if the mod I got to fix it works. I'm not worrying about that now though, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

And I'll have a look see over the previous pages like you suggested when I get the chance. I have a midterm in two days so not much free time right now. Plus, I'd like to get caught up on the couple of legacies I'm currently reading before I start any new ones.

ReyaD
3rd Jul 2011, 6:43 PM
I'm technically active... >_> Just on vacation right now. I did manage to play for an hour last night though so I may be able to post a short update sometime today or tomorrow.

calisims
3rd Jul 2011, 6:53 PM
Are you referring to me or Tigger? lol. Mine went to 8 chapters if I remember rightly...

Tigger. You at least told everyone you weren't going to blog your legacy anymore, and you stuck around the thread even when you stopped doing a blog. And you give notice when you aren't going to be around so no one is left hanging waiting for questions to be answered.

I didn't mean to get on anyone's case for taking time off or whatever, there are other things in life besides blogging your legacy, lol. I was just referring to the legacies that got started and completely dropped, and we never hear from the players again. Which is fine, if you get bored with it, you don't need to keep going. I only mentioned it because it's the main reason I never made a list of blogs.

ReyaD
3rd Jul 2011, 7:03 PM
Ch. 51: Rumours http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/ch-51-rumours.html

Its the shortest chapter I have EVER written... but I figure its better then nothing, right? Gosh Louna's a cutie. She'll have a bigger part in the story later on. She was actually glitched when I first started playing so I freaked out just a bit. But its all good now. I just had to reset her.

severedsolo
3rd Jul 2011, 7:21 PM
Sorry Melissa, I was only winding you up ;) I know you didn't mean me, I was just teasing.

I agree though, people come and go. Honestly I can barely remember who was there at the beginning besides you, mimi, Lytefoot and myself. Tigger only stuck around for about a month, and then we were left out in the cold :( It's amazing this thing is still going after the abrupt disappearance of Tigger. It's a testament to our community, both past and present that we are still here at all, especially after I "pulled a Tigger" and disappeared for a bit without telling anyone after I took over.

My main reason for not blogging anymore is because I quickly realised I suck at it :p Story telling really isn't my thing, I'm much more technical and analytical, so my blogs turned more into a "mission report" of what happened in my game. I'd rather just stick around and do the various bits that need doing in the background like keeping the blog and app updated (when I get round to it...) and answering questions.

On that note: Once I get back from holiday, I'm going to finish up the new version of my program, and put it up on the blog as the sort of "Official Random Legacy Challenge App"

Also, I want to discuss Hands Off. For some reason, mimi did away with the requirement for Sim's to clean up after themselves etc. In the original version anything that could be accomplished without the Hand of God had to be done so. To my mind that made the challenge a little more interesting. The new version is a little weak, you just can't sell stuff in the inventory, you have to take it to the consignment store. As the rule is not in effect without Ambitions anyway, does anyone ever actually NOT take their stuff to the consignment store, considering you get more money that way? I'd like to propose that it goes back to how it was.

Redhead Creations
3rd Jul 2011, 7:37 PM
I'm going through update withdrawal! It's crazy how far ahead I am in the game than I am in the story... Darn internets!!

Welcome to the challenge ChloroformDreams! Whew, that's a mouthful. =). Excellent first chapter!!

[EDIT] In reply to Severed, it's obviously much easier and more convenient to sell things right from your inventory. The only reason I would take it to the store is on the off chance hat someone I "know" might buy my goods. So the Hands Off rule would definitely affect my gameplay. Not to mention all those Dirty dishes and clothes lying all over! I look forward to it on a future roll! =)

Ahh, I misread, so yes, the whole point of that challenge would be that the Sims had to clean up after themselves. I hope that doesn't change.

calisims
3rd Jul 2011, 8:59 PM
I have another update:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-33-alpha-male.html

@severed, lol, well, you didn't really pull a tigger. You told everyone you'd be too busy and you made mimi and me admins to handle the blog while you were away. And you are so right, it is amazing this challenge has kept going. I am grateful to tigger for posting it in the first place, because it has kept me interested in Sims consistently.
About Hands off, I agree, we should go back to making it more about housecleaning than just selling from inventory. I also think we should word it very clearly, as it seems to get a lot of questions about what is allowed in that rule.
I sell stuff in the consignment store because it helps with skill careers, because getting more money mean you gain levels faster. The only time I would sell from inventory is if I already maxed the career and didn't care about money, or if it was like 1st gen and I needed money to pay bills today or face the repo man, lol.

calisims
3rd Jul 2011, 9:25 PM
Yeah, as far as the non-standard careers, I'm a little concerned because I got perfect careers as well and my secondary income is having a band. Band opportunities are seriously glitched, and I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test if the mod I got to fix it works. I'm not worrying about that now though, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

And I'll have a look see over the previous pages like you suggested when I get the chance. I have a midterm in two days so not much free time right now. Plus, I'd like to get caught up on the couple of legacies I'm currently reading before I start any new ones.

About the band career, your Sim can also make money playing for tips, and that counts for the carer as well. I had band/busker as the secondary career in my first gen and I only got like 3 actual gigs, but made it to level 6 of the band carer based on mostly tips.
And we've changed perfect careers so that for skill based careers, you only have to max the skill, not the career.
There's a mod on MTS that came out recently that's supposed to make gig opportunities more frequent. It came out after my gen 1 band was over, so I haven't seen for myself how much better it is, but it's worth checking out.
Good luck on your midterm!

NutsAndDolts
3rd Jul 2011, 9:48 PM
I have an ending.

http://r2simslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-95-farewell-to-riverview.html

Spoilers: everyone dies!

Oh wait. That can't be true. Because Wren shows up again as an adult in my new blog: http://archlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-1-durable.html

That wily little brat.

@Hands Off... yeah, I noticed that the blog doesn't word the roll like it was worded in the original thread (or at least the first thread I saw). Just switch the wording back to the way it was.

Anarathiel
3rd Jul 2011, 10:22 PM
It feels good to be able to play again :)

severedsolo
3rd Jul 2011, 11:19 PM

That's precisely why Band doesn't have it's own career roll :) I incorporated it into Busker, partly because Tips count towards the band anyway, and partly because gigs are so far and inbetween.

Oh, just for clarity's sake: Busker/Band and Perfect Career's doesn't require that you master all 4 instruments, just one :)

ChloroformDreams
3rd Jul 2011, 11:34 PM
Ah ok, that makes sense then. And thank god it doesn't require all four instruments. That would take forever.

severedsolo
3rd Jul 2011, 11:36 PM
Ah ok, that makes sense then. And thank god it doesn't require all four instruments. That would take forever.

Oh yes, I have actually done it once. I rolled Band/Busker and Fufilled, and stupidly picked "One Sim Band" as my LTW. It literally took 10 hours a day every day of his life until he was 5 days from the end of the 90 day "definitely alive" period to do it, AND he was a virtuoso, and mastered the xylophone.

ChloroformDreams
3rd Jul 2011, 11:56 PM
Holy hell! I actually chose that for this sim's LTW. I wasn't really thinking about it, but I had already rolled perfect careers so I guess I wasn't in any danger. At least I'll be wary of it in the future.

CinderEmma
4th Jul 2011, 12:18 AM
Is it considered cheating to add people to the world if you don't plan on using them for partners? They are the Ankhesamun family, where the mother and father are loosely based (very loosely, I renamed them and gave them drastic surgery :P) off two sims from Riverblossom Hills. They've been sitting on another file, staring at me, mocking me with it's glitchiness. I just want to have a few newcomers come in and shake things up a bit, plus they have good genetics that might off-set the horrid Riverview genetics :P It's a family of five (and a spouse for the oldest girl, Daisy Greenman, I'm going to have green children for generations to come!), not bad compared to my usual packed homes :P
If you're curious the mother's name is Amarna, the oldest daughter's name is Jenee, the youngest daughter (teen) is Jewel, her twin Jasper Lee (though he is like the opposite of Jewel), and the toddler Jaden (different father, I think one I made a long time ago.) They're more exotic then the sims I have in this legacy, and Jasper Lee's a vampire, so I'm not sure if I should add them. Then again, variety is the spice of (sim) life.
If you're even MORE curious, Ankhesamum was Tutankhamun's main wife (though he had many minor ones, one supposedly being his own mother), and Tell-el-Amarna was the capital city of Ancient Egypt at the time :) I love Ancient Egypt :)

NutsAndDolts
4th Jul 2011, 12:29 AM
I think it's fine. I added a few families to fill out Barnacle Bay. Eventually their descendants will inbreed with my legacy sims because it's inevitable, but they aren't intended to be directly imported mates.

ReyaD
4th Jul 2011, 12:36 AM
Thomas Starr (Gen Three) mastered all four instruments before graduation. But I blame Vampirism and Music Afterschool Activities. >_>

Redhead Creations
4th Jul 2011, 12:43 AM
Sounds good to me!

I just spent about three hours making a vamp family. I've never played vampires before and still not sure they'll end up in my story, but because I took out twallan's personalities, I wanted to make sure I had a few. Because I'm a stickler for lore, my vampires don't age, so the poor girl child will be stuck going to school for an eternity!

I've also encountered a rather nasty error having to do with field trips, when Cecil was going to school, from day one it always said he was on a field trip, so the after school stuff never happened for him. Now in my game it loomed like things were progressing normally, and I got a pop up about the permission slip and said ok. The next day a few minutes after school started, crash to desktop. I started over (thank the TWALLAN above for the saver mod) and it happened again, so the third time I cancelled the field trip pop up (saying "no" basically), and things have been progressing (so far). Man, some of these new "features" in Generations are more trouble than they're worth!

CinderEmma
4th Jul 2011, 1:19 AM
Agreed, after a fiasco with a field trip where Tyson was stuck on the bus, I'm never doing any more field trips (until they're fixed by mod/patches at least).

I forgot how crazy a sim maker I used to be! Pink and purple hair, what was I thinking?

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 1:42 AM
Introducing Sims for genetic diversity is fine :) I think it's needed, otherwise everyone in a town eventually becomes distantly related to everyone else. It is unfortunately one of the problems with worlds being gated communities. Personally I have my Immigration threshold on Nraas set deliberately low, so the gene pool doesn't stagnate.

Frankly introducing Sim's full stop, even if seeding partners isn't actually against the rules, I just don't like it much, lol.

Redhead Creations
4th Jul 2011, 2:51 AM
Severed, what are your settings for immigration? I'd like to find a good balance BEFORE something like that happens. Unfortunately the world I'm playing in feels a bit small, every house has occupants now and I keep getting the "we're trying to bring in new residents but can't" or "you need a construction boom" messages.

I'd just hate to get 1/2 way through the challenge and not be able to go on because I picked the wrong town to live in... =)

calisims
4th Jul 2011, 3:07 AM
I forgot how crazy a sim maker I used to be! Pink and purple hair, what was I thinking?

I used to have pink and purple hair. ;)

CinderEmma
4th Jul 2011, 3:21 AM
It's just that almost all my sims from that time had crazy skin, hair and eyes, the purple/pink haired family was "tame" for me before :P
Maybe I should have added them a bit later, since it is only generation one, but I have other families that I can move in. I still might edit them to be a bit more normal so I don't have a bunch of alien species taking over. That happened to me during my generation 3 of my first (or second, or maybe third) attempt at this challenge, the legacy founder and the ensuing babies had blue skin, the wife of generation 3 had red/brown skin, half the neighbourhood either had green skin, a different red skin, or a darker blue skin, and the baby came out purple. I rather miss my purple little baby Yoshi :( (Though the name would have been more suitable for a green baby :P)

CyyKosis
4th Jul 2011, 3:31 AM
My legacy might have become unplayable... Game-wise I am in generation 2 (I am SO bad at writing the story, I just want to keep playing!). My sims are resetting after every social interaction they complete. :( I am going to play around with it and see if I can fix it, but I've been working on it since last night in my sporadic spare time.

Edit: I took out all my mods/downloads and cleaned the cache... and my sims are still broken. Arrgh. I'm going on vacation for a few days to do some river tubing and participate in other celebratory events so when I come back on Thursday I'll try one last time to figure out the problem... ATM it looks like I'll have to completely restart though. At least I wasn't too far into my story! Still makes me POed. :/

calisims
4th Jul 2011, 4:17 AM
Maddie, I hope you are able to make your legacy playable again!

Emma, my husband just sent me a link to this very cool Egyptian themed Gibson, I thought you might like it. :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Prototype-Rich-Triggs-Charvel-NAMM-/330583897309?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf855f4dd#ht_42677wt_1026

The green-skinned descendants of the Greenman family in my Riverblossom Hills are dying out. There are still lots of Greenmans but since they all had to breed with non-greenskinned Sims, they are slowly turning normal. Rex's mom had green skin, and Rex has one cousin with green skin, the last one left in the family. But SP immigrated a family with a green-skinned woman with a green-skinned daughter, so it's making a bit of a comeback.

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 5:00 AM
Severed, what are your settings for immigration? I'd like to find a good balance BEFORE something like that happens. Unfortunately the world I'm playing in feels a bit small, every house has occupants now and I keep getting the "we're trying to bring in new residents but can't" or "you need a construction boom" messages.

I just doubled the default setting under "Pregnancy" to 20 for the immigration pressure, and set the threshold to 50. By default in the new version of SP it's set to 0, but it always used to be 50.

That gives you a maximum of 40 points on the "pregnancy" scoring of the immigration pressure. With that, and for each generation I set "maximum number of children" to however many children my heirs are supposed to have, to stop my Sim's overrunning the town, the result is that the townhas "baby booms", where everyone is reproducing like rabbits, for some generations, and for others you get an influx of immigrants. When things slow down, generally that's enough to push the "Sims" pressure for that last 10 points, although it does take a few weeks before it kicks in. Usually needs a few elders to die off before SP start's panicking.

It doesn't completely solve the problem. Most Sim's are still distantly related to each other, but it's enough to stop being forced to marry a cousin or something.

Despite what SP says, it doesn't need "more than 50" points. 50 is enough.

ReyaD
4th Jul 2011, 5:11 AM
I have brown hair with caramel highlights. >_>

(I believe the time has come for us to all make self sims)

Redhead Creations
4th Jul 2011, 6:12 AM
Thank you for that info, Sev!! That is very helpful!

Yes, I've noticed the neighborhood breeds like rabbits. I even turned off teen pregnancy, because I was under the impression it would be a rare thing. But according to twallan, teens are treated just like adults when it comes to that, so everywhere I looked were pregnant teenagers!

I'll try ythe settings you gave. Thanks again!

[EDIT] When you say "set the threshold to 50", where do you find that? I looked for anything with a value of zero, as you said that was the default, but didn't see anything that looked like what you are referring to.

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 6:18 AM
Thank you for that info, Sev!! That is very helpful!

Yes, I've noticed the neighborhood breeds like rabbits. I even turned off teen pregnancy, because I was under the impression it would be a rare thing. But according to twallan, teens are treated just like adults when it comes to that, so everywhere I looked were pregnant teenagers!

I'll try ythe settings you gave. Thanks again!

Weird... pregnant teen's are a rarity for me, although I haven't played with the romance/pregnancy chances. Most of the time my inactive teen's don't get into meaningful enough relationships. Mind you, by default the number of kids is uncapped. That's good for upping your population, not so great for preventing inbreeding.

The trick with my settings is that because for some generations the birth rate is deliberately culled, SP starts to panic because it can't find anyone to get pregnant, assumes that the town is running out of Sim's of child bearing age, and starts putting pressure on immigration because of it.

The "at it like rabbits" happens when I up the "max children", usually pretty much instantly, as it's an artificial cap. It takes a couple of weeks for the immigration to kick in though, before Sim's become valid for pregnancy again, but unable to due to passing the max number. (Within theory, with "max kids" set to 1, it should take about 4 weeks, the time it takes for the last of the "baby boomers" children to grow up and have their 1 kid, obviously the more kids they are allowed to have, the less dramatic the effect)

You aren't going to get a huge amount of immigrants, probably a couple of new family's. As those families can be anywhere up to 8 Sim's though, new genetic's are always good. Another option is just to leave "Max Children" at 1, so SP has no choice but to periodically immigrate to stop the town from ghosting.

I also highly recommend not marrying off every spare... you're giving them a better chance of getting pregnant than anyone else who has to fight to get their relationship high enough.

Redhead Creations
4th Jul 2011, 6:46 AM
Very good info!

I'm betting that I see a higher percentage of teen preggos because I have a slightly longer lifespan set (currently at 170 days). Might be also why I feel this generation is dragging, I've never played with lo ger lifespans! =)

So while MY Sims are leading productive, skill-building lives, the rest of the town is using this extra time to get busy, evidently...

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 8:33 AM
[EDIT] When you say "set the threshold to 50", where do you find that? I looked for anything with a value of zero, as you said that was the default, but didn't see anything that looked like what you are referring to.

It's under Immigration>Immigration Gauge. The other Immigration options don't even appear until that is set to something higher than 0.

On the teen pregnancy thing... yeah that might be it. I do see them, it's just not that common. I suspect it's probably because I have my max children capped as well, so the town doesn't get as "busy" as if they were uncapped.

I'm in a "bust" phase at the moment. Only 1 child for each couple. I'm hoping for a new wave of immigrants soon =/ I just had a look and I have about 10 houses that are empty. Obviously need some elders to die off.

Micaela926
4th Jul 2011, 9:17 AM
Finally finished Chapter 20 (http://thesims3legacychallenge.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-20.html) am experiencing a lot of hiccups with my game lately and had a bad case of writers block for this chapter.. knew where I wanted it to go, just couldn't figure out how to get there...anyways hope you all enjoy!

Anarathiel
4th Jul 2011, 11:03 AM
Micaela: I am having writer's block too. I just can't write my chapters up anymore.

I have to do this Extended Essay for coursework and I am so happy because i found an old essay that i can integrate into it. 1,600 words done, 2,400 to go. And i have been working on it for about 10 minutes >:D

Micaela926
4th Jul 2011, 11:09 AM
Oh not bad for 10 minutes into it! I start College (yep going back to College for my degree) on the 6th of this month, and one of my first courses is Compositions.. I was excited about it, but now getting a bit concerned LOL!

Anarathiel
4th Jul 2011, 11:37 AM
lol i'm doing my essay on the factors that influence the development of a child's personality.
Good luck at College (we call it Uni over here lol) So weird.

Chapter 14 is up!
http://riveralegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-14-twins-get-split.html

Micaela926
4th Jul 2011, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a fascinating essay, thanks for the luck, I may need it, it's been 17 years since I have been in school!

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 7:50 PM
I have a present for you lovely people :)

An updated version of the challenge App.

Smarter Career's haven't been implemented yet, as I pretty much have to write a new script from scratch... and then hook it in in the million different places it needs to go, but I'm also putting the source code up if anyone wants to take a stab. You'll need GameMaker to edit it, (the free version is what I'm using, and works fine)

Nothing major has changed, I've just updated, and fixed a bug where "Nectar Making is considered part of Farming" wasn't coming up on farming, but on Writing.

Also, I've "borrowed" Lytefoot's system for generating the random Traits, and applied it to Change of Scenery. Now I know how to do it, the next version could conceivably also generate your heir for "The Famous Heir" Rule :)

CyyKosis
4th Jul 2011, 8:24 PM
YES. I am for sure going to take a look at your source code. I want to see how you set it all up! What language did you write it in?

severedsolo
4th Jul 2011, 8:32 PM
It's written in GML (Game Maker Language). It's the only language that Game Maker recognises unfortunately, and as I took Lytefoot's code and added to it, I was forced to use that, but if you are familiar with C based languages, it shouldn't be too difficult. It's fairly self explanatory what each function does. (and I've left myself lots of little notes... lol)

To get into it you will need Game Maker which is available here: http://www.yoyogames.com/make

To get any sort of usefulness out of it, you'll need to go into Advanced Mode. Basic doesn't show anything useful. (Most of the programming is done via scripts, which basic doesn't show)

Most of the "randomness" happens in PopLists, that's where the weighting happens anyway. The other scripts are just there to either say "Generate a random number based on PopLists" or as a holding area for a list of some sort. Except BigString... which is probably the most important of the lot. Feel free to PM me if you have suggestions for improvment. I'm not exactly the world's greatest programmer, although I'm learning.

Now if I could just get Mono working on Linux Mint, I wouldn't have to boot into Windows everytime I want to update the damn thing.

CyyKosis
4th Jul 2011, 8:52 PM
Ooooh alright, I will read into that then. My version of the program was written from scratch using Java, but I will play around with yours, if nothing but for fun. :)

BlindingEchoes
4th Jul 2011, 9:54 PM
Chapter 24 is up, and for once it's not a filler lol.
http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-twenty-four-im-still-waiting.html

Edit: Chapter 25 as well :) http://talliwaylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-twenty-five-you-are-best-thing.html

NutsAndDolts
4th Jul 2011, 10:46 PM
I hope your game stops glitching, Maddie. =(

Chapter 2 is up by the way.

http://archlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-2-beach-wedding.html

I though I would be mega sad to leave the scenery in Riverview behind, but I'm really enjoying Barnacle Bay.

calisims
5th Jul 2011, 1:50 AM
Awesome updates! :D

Chapter 34 is up on my legacy:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-34-cops-and-robbers.html

Redhead Creations
5th Jul 2011, 1:57 AM
I should give Barnacle Bay another try sometime, but it's just so annoying to go through and "expansion pack"ize new neighborhoods. Did you find there was enough room in BB for stuff?

Love the update(s), BTW!

[EDIT] ARGH!!! Five+ hours of work redecorating the house gone down the tubes! Had put the last ceiling tile in place (that's the last step of many for me) and was zooming out to take a look and bam, crash to desktop! This will serve to remind me, and hopefully you too, to change Twallan's "Saver" mod from Sim-time to Real-time when doing building projects. BIG SIGH. Oh well, let's do it all over again...

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 10:10 AM
Is anyone playing this challenge colourblind?

The reason I ask is because I am going to reformat the blog later, to make it a bit easier to read. At the moment it's a massive wall of text, and I personally find it difficult to focus on a massive wall of text on a computer screen. This is why my posts are normally paragraphed, lol.

I'm probably going to alternate colours on the objectives, so it would be useful to know what colours people can/can't see. I personally am Red/Green colourblind, so those colours will not be used :p :)

edit: I've made a start :) Let me know if you can't read it :) I'll finish it later when I get back from work

editagain: It's done :) I went for Black and Blue, with purple headers. I've also tried to break up some of the bigger walls of text. I think it looks alot better

NutsAndDolts
5th Jul 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm not colorblind, though I can't speak for others. =O

RC, at first I thought it would be a problem, but really the worst part was dealing with the "everyone in town is a celebrity" glitch. I took care of that with MasterController (town hall MC, sim, intermiediate (?), celebrity level, sort by celebrity level); reset their stars to 0, one by one.

By calisims' suggestion, I threw out the normal town hall and added the one from Bridgeport (you need to use moveobjects on I think), which allowed me to bulldoze the military base and the police station (which I turned into a little playground... but you could easily upgrade an existing playground in the neighborhood that was just so dreary looking I didn't touch it). I put the film studio where the military base used to be. I didn't use any of the Bridgeport clubs, but turned the local watering hole into an actual watering hole by adding the LN professional bar and stuff, and then changing the lot type. I built a second, classier little thing myself and labeled it a fusion lounge. I'm considering downloading a third lounge from MTS to place in the town; there IS room, if some empty residential lots are converted to community lots. I also bulldozed the salon because it's more glitches than it's worth.

I went through some of the houses in town adding extra beds, since my SP mod freaks out when a family of eight tries to live in house with one bed. Barnacle Bay is pretty bad about most of its houses being starter homes with one bedroom.

I then went through the community lots adding spawners and pigeons where appropriate. I liked to add the gam and metal spawners along the beach lots, imagining they'd just wash up there for Ace to find. ;)

calisims
5th Jul 2011, 3:26 PM
Great job, Martin. It looks a lot better.

Redhead Creations
5th Jul 2011, 4:29 PM
Hoo, boy. I've pulled an all nighter! Been simming since about 12pm yesterday, I haven't done that in a LONG time! Most of that time was spent decorating up the house, I forget how long it takes me since I'm a CASt maniac and much change every texture and color... The four hours I lost due to the crash of oh'three hundred only took me about an hour and 1/2 to redo, the hard part (choosing colors and patterns) was already done!

I can't wait for you guys to catch up to me, haha!

Ok, now comes the hard part - staying awake until bedtime comes, because if I slept now, I would be up all night!!

ReyaD
5th Jul 2011, 4:33 PM
You mean... not everyone is nocturnal like me? O_o

I reaaaaally miss Sims right now. Like you guys don't even know. And my hiatus may be lengthened to three weeks or even four because I'm staying longer now. (Why? I hate Cali! I miss home...)

Redhead Creations
5th Jul 2011, 5:26 PM
Hey, that's not nice! What did Cali ever do to you?? Oh, you mean the state... (Kidding)

If it makes you feel better, I think I've done enough summing over the past four days for this whole group combined... Having no Internet is NOT a good thing!

Randomness: Laundry sucks, you have to have a hamper in practically every single room or there are piles EVERYWHERE. Ugh.

ReyaD
5th Jul 2011, 5:47 PM
Yes... yes it does. Thats why I have at least one "neat" sim per generation xD.

CinderEmma
5th Jul 2011, 6:23 PM
I'm not so fond of the blue, it's a bit too bright on my poor eyes XD Maybe a darker blue will still give enough contrast without blinding me?

I forgot the laundry until I reread the rules (major oops), then I went overboard with putting laundry hampers EVERYWHERE since I actually had the money at that point.

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 6:27 PM
I'm not so fond of the blue, it's a bit too bright on my poor eyes XD Maybe a darker blue will still give enough contrast without blinding me?

Unfortunately Blogger only has a limited colour pallete, there is no colour wheel. The only other blue that's darker than that one is too similar to the black to contrast. As I struggle to see Green and to a lesser extent Red I can't really use those either =/ If you can find a better colour feel free to change it though :)

ReyaD
5th Jul 2011, 6:56 PM
Hey so random question... is "property Mogul" limited strictly to rabbit holes? Cause I was rolling for my far future generations and I got that again... but I'm thinking I might run out of rabbit holes if I get it once again. Would it make sense to broaden "Property mogul" to include buying parks or venues?

(... I have a feeling this has already been covered. If so can someone just bonk me on the head and tell me the answer?)

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 7:00 PM
*Bonks Head*, Buy whatever Real Estate you feel like. It was originally a watered down version of the "Flipper" career which basically involved buying/selling venues and properties..

calisims
5th Jul 2011, 7:01 PM
Property mogul is open to parks and venues as well.

Redhead Creations
5th Jul 2011, 7:27 PM
That is crazy, I was just coming here to look for an answer on how to buy community lots, heh! I figured there must be a way as one of the challenges has you create or renovate a public place, right? How oes one go about buying a community lot? I checked the real estate thing on the computer, but got a big empty box for my efforts (none if the "real" venues showed up either. Any tips/tricks?

calisims
5th Jul 2011, 7:36 PM
In the real estate thing on the computer, the screen opens first to the page listing your owned properties, which is empty if you don't own any. There is a tab on the top of the box to switch to buyable properties.
You can also zoom out to map view and click on the map tag to get real estate options for buying the property. With that , the option only appears if you have enough money. The computer tab will list even the ones you can't afford, telling you how much they cost so you know how much you'll need before you can buy them.

Redhead Creations
5th Jul 2011, 7:39 PM
Gah, I was just coming back to say I found it. You would think if you didn't own anything, it would default to opening up the purchase page... Or it's just me and my way sleep deprived brain... Heh! Thanks Melissa!!

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 7:50 PM
Before anybody comments....

Yes, the blog is meant to display the date as 2999. I'm planning to add a couple of extra pages, and want to keep the existing pages on the top :)

Also, if you could click an ad or two every now and then, I'd appreciate it :)

ReyaD
5th Jul 2011, 7:59 PM
I hate that damn ad thing. :P Its how I get money from my various blogs and stuff but I have an ex-friend who has a habit of spamming the ads so I keep getting banned from it. Its so annoying.

Thanks for the answer Severed. I just wanted to make sure. Hopefully I'll be able to play for a little today. Depends on whether or not my uncle goes out later.

NutsAndDolts
5th Jul 2011, 8:34 PM
Does anyone remember how I fixed my "sims freeze up when they try to take pictures" glitch?

Or did it just go away?

'Cause now it's back. =(

CinderEmma
5th Jul 2011, 8:48 PM
What about purple? It's darker then blue, but still not enough like black to blend. EDIT: The headings could be blue and the text purple.

Sorry I haven't been posting, I've been playing a lot XD Tyson's almost YA 0_o

Questions that might spoil plot :P
Can you get your sims married as teens as long as the partner does nothing until adulthood? Also, can I use teen pregnancy if it's a possible heir? I'm just booooored and want some babies XD

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 8:51 PM
What about purple? It's darker then blue, but still not enough like black to blend.

Could do, the headings are purple at the moment, but I could probably work around that.

edit: In answer to Emma's questions (spoilered to not ruin the plotline)
Yes, that's fine. I would say that if they have the child then they have to be the heir, BUT that rule has just been shifted to optional, so it's up to you :) On the money thing (I assume that's what you meant?), it doesn't matter, as soon as the Sim is old enough to earn money like that, it's allowed.

CinderEmma
5th Jul 2011, 9:04 PM
Thanks severedsolo :) Thanks for keeping it spoiler too, I know some people are like me and don't like the ending spoiled and others are like my sister-in-law and like to read the end before the middle :P

I'll update today, at some point. I might want to do it before I start playing, as I keep on procrastinating updating the blog because of my game :)

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 9:09 PM
Thanks severedsolo :) Thanks for keeping it spoiler too, I know some people are like me and don't like the ending spoiled and others are like my sister-in-law and like to read the end before the middle :P

It's fine :) I was trying to think of a way of wording it without making it obvious before it dawned on me that I could just spoiler. :p

I was sitting there thinking "is that too vague... but how do I do it without revealing... *facepalm* duh... spoiler"

AJH
5th Jul 2011, 9:53 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of having a go at this but I've got a couple of questions:-

1) Would it be acceptable to have my sim pregnant at the start of the challenge (using the master controller) as part of the back story?

2) I've never done a blog or anything like that, how do you go about it & is it difficult?

CinderEmma
5th Jul 2011, 9:56 PM
http://marlinlegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-eighteen-sparks.html

Yay, I got the chapter doooone :)

AJH, blogs aren't that difficult, all you have to do (if you use blogspot), is to add pictures from your screenshots (the pictures that you take in-game by press c) into the blog and add writing. I find blogspot very user friendly :D And I believe having your sim pregnant at the start of the challenge is okay, though that would be better if you had a roll like half-siblings or you have the step-parent roll.

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 10:57 PM
Imregnating via MC is perfectly acceptable. Most of us (including me) do it, so I don't see why that would be an issue.

There is just one caveat... most of the Marital Status roll require that the Heir (or Founder in this case) be in that marital status by the time the first child is born. As this is your first generation, the easiest way around that is to just CAS whatever setup you need.

AlmaDelCore20
5th Jul 2011, 11:01 PM
Happy 100 pages, woo~!

I feel like such a nerd for caring about stuff like that, bahaha.

Also, welcome to all the new people beginning the challenge. c:

I had one of those moments today where I stared at my buffer and went "Dude...I actually wrote a really good chapter right here. o:" I sort of can't wait to post it now.

[EDIT] Oh, how convenient, what I thought was a buffer is actually the next chapter I'm supposed to post anyway! OTL I feel so blonde.

ReyaD
5th Jul 2011, 11:05 PM
You're being such a tease today Alma, my gosh. (Sorry. Couldn't help it)

Good news! I got to play a bit so hopefully I'll have time to write out a chapter and post it. Sure enough, Grim got a speaking role! ... Finally!

calisims
5th Jul 2011, 11:06 PM
I have an update, Chapter 35:
http://fosterenmity.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-35-saturday-nights-alright-for.html

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 11:14 PM
[EDIT] Oh, how convenient, what I thought was a buffer is actually the next chapter I'm supposed to post anyway! OTL I feel so blonde.

Why do I suspect that was sneaky promotion? :rofl:

If it actually was a blonde moment, then it's nowhere near as good as a conversation I had with a blonde friend of mine. This, word for word is how the conversation went.

Her: "It must be really difficult to be a train driver."
Me: "What?"
Her: I said, it must be really difficult to be a train driver.
Me: "What the hell are you talking about? What's so difficult about go and stop?"
Her: "Well, they have to make sure it stays exactly on those two little tracks, they aren't very big, it must be really difficult to keep it lined up"

AlmaDelCore20
5th Jul 2011, 11:14 PM
http://randallfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-12-mistaken-passion.html

There, I wasn't a tease for long! See! Just for as long as it took me to actually type it up out of my Notepad file. xD

Hope everyone enjoys~

severedsolo
5th Jul 2011, 11:24 PM
http://randallfamilylegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/chapter-12-mistaken-passion.html

Wow... that's different. Not bad different, in fact I liked it alot, but I wasn't expecting that!

This isn't going to be a happy generation then I take it? :p

AlmaDelCore20
5th Jul 2011, 11:25 PM
Why do I suspect that was sneaky promotion? :rofl:

If it actually was a blonde moment, then it's nowhere near as good as a conversation I had with a blonde friend of mine. This, word for word is how the conversation went.

Her: "It must be really difficult to be a train driver."
Me: "What?"
Her: I said, it must be really difficult to be a train driver.
Me: "What the hell are you talking about? What's so difficult about go and stop?"
Her: "Well, they have to make sure it stays exactly on those two little tracks, they aren't very big, it must be really difficult to keep it lined up"

Well. xD Maybe I just have really bad blonde moments due to me being a brunette through and through. If I REALLY wanted to promote it...there would've been a lot of spinning alarms and flailing smilies and possibly some leftover fireworks from yesterday. 8D

:alarm: BTW UGAIZ NEW CHAPTER OLOLOL :!: :alarm: MAKE SURE YOU READ IT :!: :alarm:

-shot-

[EDIT] Actually, looking at the screenshots I've taken it has every opportunity to be a happy generation. xD Just...with a shaky start, I suppose. I'unno. We'll see where the pen takes me.

CinderEmma
5th Jul 2011, 11:28 PM
I can't believe you're on chapter 35 Melissa, it seems like yesterday you finished (well, abandoned, but I don't mind) your last legacy and started the Foster Enmity legacy! I loved your chapter!
I'm just about to read yours Alma, so don't feel bad :P EDIT: I love yours too, angst for all :)

AlmaDelCore20
6th Jul 2011, 12:29 AM
The world needs more angst, right?

...right?

Why is it so much easier to write angstier things than happy things anyway? xD Anyone else ever feel that way?

CinderEmma
6th Jul 2011, 1:00 AM
Yes, read any of my Harry Potter fanfiction pieces (I'm on fanfiction.net if you're curious, username is ebec11. But some of my fics are adult, beware) and you can see I'm a huuuuuge angst fan :P Though the problem for me for any piece of writing is not adding angst, but balancing it to be a realistic story :P

And yes, I'm advertising my fanfiction, deal with it :P It's more of an example then advertisement anyway :P

AlmaDelCore20
6th Jul 2011, 1:02 AM
I hear you there. I'm overly conscious of balance. I always feel like if I add even a little angst it'll spiral downhill into a soap opera that no one wants to read. xD But too much happiness is just...BORING. There's no conflict to interest your readers, you know?

Fun fact: my legacy's probably the angstiest thing I've ever created outside of roleplaying and the fanfics spawned from roleplaying, so it's really just one big massive experiment with trying to find the angst line before I cross it. It's really fun.

CinderEmma
6th Jul 2011, 1:04 AM
I've never done roleplaying, what's it all about?
This is actually one of the less angsty things I've written, it has happiness and angst combined instead of pure angst :)

AlmaDelCore20
6th Jul 2011, 1:12 AM
"What's it all about," you say? Well...it's sort of hard to explain. xD I mean, the basis of it is that you're creating a world with an entire group of people, you know? Most people would think of Dungeons and Dragons as their first example of roleplaying. However, online roleplaying, or RPing as is much faster to write, is a lot more immersive, I think. You create a character (or twelve, if you're like me and have a problem finding a limit. OTL) and bring them into a world that the staff of a website or a chat room have already created, and then you find people to have threads with. You sort of...build a story together, you know?

Geez, I've been RPing since I was nine, and I STILL can't create a good definition of it. xD

Anyway, your characters build friendships and evolve and eventually become so dynamic that if you're like me you can't bear to let them go. There's RPs for about any fandom out there under the sun, as well as standard fantasy or modern town RPs. I've been on a Harvest Moon RPing board for a little over two years now and I'm a moderator there, and I love every minute of it.

I'm such a nerd. OTL

BlindingEchoes
6th Jul 2011, 1:22 AM
I'm totally jumping a conversation here, but whatever lol. But @AlmaDelCore20 I actually thought that was a pretty decent definition of online written RPGS, i've been RPing for years and you about summed it up in a nutshell. Typically when i mention RPGs people either think D&D or WoW, it's actually nice to see another RPer on the board :)

CinderEmma
6th Jul 2011, 1:23 AM
That sounds like a good explanation to me, I might try a pokemon related one some time, if I can find a board somewhere that won't mock me for being a girl pokemon fan :(
And I'm going even more off-topic (perhaps PM your response), but I've been wanting to try Harvest Moon, but there are so many of them, even just for the GC. What one's your favourite?

And to be on-topic, did I do okay with Ned's/Nathalie's awkward reunion? I struggled with it a lot :P

BlindingEchoes
6th Jul 2011, 1:35 AM
And to be on-topic, did I do okay with Ned's/Nathalie's awkward reunion? I struggled with it a lot :P

I think you did fabulous with it ^^ It wasn't overly dramatic yet not underwhelming either, had me worried there for a moment that Ned would just not believe her and walk out, which would have been sad :( Eek!

CinderEmma
6th Jul 2011, 1:40 AM
I was close to doing that actually, but an important aspect of Ned's character is that he did not have the strength to leave when he had many reason to think Nathalie was cheating on him. He would latch on to any reason to stay with the woman he loves (and despite his current emotional detachment, he does love Nathalie), even if it sounds unbelievable.

ReyaD
6th Jul 2011, 2:12 AM
Actually, many relationships are like that, ebec. Its why so many people stay in unhappy (or even abusive) relationships for so long.

Anyway, ch. 52: http://starrsimslegacy.blogspot.com/2011/07/ch-52-abnormalities.html

Done all in one and a half hours. OWNED.

Redhead Creations
6th Jul 2011, 2:33 AM
After playing non-stop for the last four days, I think I have enough pictures for about *seven* chapters. That's as many chapters as I have posted so far!! Now I just got to get them separated into groups and start the actual writing. I have 1489 pictures in my screenshots folder, 1061 of them are from THIS legacy story. Aren't you glad I don't post em all??? =)

I've been enjoying everyone's stories so much, needless to say, there will be another chapter from me tomorrow!!

CinderEmma
6th Jul 2011, 2:38 AM
I meant that the reason was unbelievable, not that he would stay :) I've watched enough Dr. Phil as a child to know that unhappy relationships are somewhat common.

BlindingEchoes
6th Jul 2011, 2:43 AM
Wait, you mean unhappy relationships are common, aw damn and here i wanted to be different! ;) Personally i like overly dramatic things, if my current generation is any proof of that lol. But i grew up a child of the theater, so i blame my acting and vocal coaches on my obsession with dramatic :bunny: