PDA

View Full Version : Tour guid problem

telefen
13th Feb 2012, 12:04 PM
Hi: I noticed my game was quite lagging at certain time of the day and especially when scrolling around. I had recently taken my sims to a vacation spot and I discovered there's a tour guid lingering around their house now. Obviousely when his working hours are done and he disappears, then the lagging is gone. Does anybody know a known reason for this? I removed all my hacks that relate to vacation spots and when I went back, he was there without having any dialogue available on him. Maybe if I delete him and save and exit? I thought it was my grafique card first but, this has happened before and it's quite annoying cause, the scrolling is very jerky. Thank for any help to get rid of him permanently. :turtle: :beer:

Darby
13th Feb 2012, 1:34 PM
Seeing special NPCs in places they don't belong is not good. I'd suggest reading this:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Avoiding_Hood_Corruption
What you're seeing might be a sign of corruption.

Also, did you patch BV when you installed it? The BV patch is very important to have.

telefen
13th Feb 2012, 3:37 PM
Seeing special NPCs in places they don't belong is not good. I'd suggest reading this:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Avoiding_Hood_Corruption
What you're seeing might be a sign of corruption.

Also, did you patch BV when you installed it? The BV patch is very important to have. Hi: I just installed all those patches but, I could not see the one for mansion&Garden. maybe it's not needed. I read through that article well, it's a lots of info. i hope patching the game will fix that tour guide issue otherwise i have to delete him on every session I'm playing that lot cause, he or she causes the game to lag, at least during their working hours. Any other solutions?

BTW If I take out my download and saved sims folder and then uninstall the whole game and reinstall and put back the download & savedsims folder back, would that help?

Thank you very much for your help. :Pint: :up:

sushigal007
13th Feb 2012, 4:00 PM
Even if your hood is corrupt, you shouldn't need to reinstall your entire game. It's very very very easy to simply reset the neighbourhood instead. But as you say you've only just patched your game, that might fix the problem.

Darby
13th Feb 2012, 4:20 PM
Yes, as sushigal says, reset, don't reinstall. Reinstallation is necessary for only a very limited number of issues and is waaaaay over done as a "solution" to ever so many problems that really only require a reset. Here's how you do it: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Reset_Neighborhoods

As for patches, M&G arguably needs one, but EA never made one. However, most of the problems I've heard of players having with M&G are due to having it installed without AL. Players who don't have AL are better off not installing M&G unless/until they get/install AL.

You current issue with the Tour Guide may or may not be solved with the patch. If it's not, but there are no other issues plaguing your 'hoods, it's a matter of deciding whether or not you want to keep deleting the guy. If you've got other weirdness going on as well, and/or you don't have much invested in the 'hood anyway, resetting is not the worst idea.

telefen
13th Feb 2012, 10:56 PM
:) :) Hi: First of all thank you Sushigal and Darby. I deleted the tourguide and saved to the neighborhood. Went back and he's not there anymore. I hope it stays that way. As for resetting the neighborhood Darby and sushigal well,I have to wait and see it sounds easy and a better option than reinstalling but, I'll have to start over again and that is an issue but, thanks anyway.
You know I've lost my precious sims one too many times because of computer problem and so on :faceslap: . I'll see if that creepy tourguide stops harrassing my ladies otherwise, I'll consider your suggestion. Thanks to all of you kind people. :turtle: :Pint:

telefen
17th Feb 2012, 9:39 AM
Yes, as sushigal says, reset, don't reinstall. Reinstallation is necessary for only a very limited number of issues and is waaaaay over done as a "solution" to ever so many problems that really only require a reset. Here's how you do it: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Reset_Neighborhoods

As for patches, M&G arguably needs one, but EA never made one. However, most of the problems I've heard of players having with M&G are due to having it installed without AL. Players who don't have AL are better off not installing M&G unless/until they get/install AL.

You current issue with the Tour Guide may or may not be solved with the patch. If it's not, but there are no other issues plaguing your 'hoods, it's a matter of deciding whether or not you want to keep deleting the guy. If you've got other weirdness going on as well, and/or you don't have much invested in the 'hood anyway, resetting is not the worst idea.

Yesterday I tried resetting and succeeded. Then i looked at this beautifull house that came with M&G expn. which I had done extensive remodeling on and thought well, couldn't i have package the house earlier and saved it somewhere on desk top and put it in my download folder after resetting .

Then also I though what if this tourguide problem shows up again since I never found out what had caused it, all I know is that when I first took my sims to a vacation then the problem started. Also i was remodelling one of the hotel rooms when an error occured and maybe that triggered the tourguid corroption. So Here I am not really knowing where I should start to make sure the tourguide problem doesn't occure after doing all that work. Any Ideas on this. Thanks a lot in advance. :turtle: :lol:

Peni Griffin
17th Feb 2012, 3:46 PM
Sometimes you just have to roll with it, I'm afraid. Back up your neighborhood frequently, always back up before adding new cc, dump your caches every day, and hope nothing worse happens. I had a perfectly horrendous glitch last year, before I started regular backups, of a sort that couldn't really be tested for because I couldn't catch it in the act of happening and the effects were permanent. I wound up having to fix the effect with the batbox and hope for the best; but it's never recurred and neither has anything else nearly as bad since I instituted the maintenance routine. So the best can happen.

Mootilda
17th Feb 2012, 4:53 PM
Be sure to read the article on Hood Corruption which was linked above. Don't do anything on that list. It won't guarantee that you won't get corruption. However, everything on that list is sure to cause corruption.

Next time that you reset, backup your existing save game first. That way, if you find that you miss a particular lot, you'll still have access to it.

Even better: When you remodel a lot, just package it up right away. You can move the packaged lot to long-term storage (like a USB stick, DVD, or external hard drive), so that it won't take up too much space. Then you know that you'll always have the lot available.

telefen
17th Feb 2012, 9:05 PM
Be sure to read the article on Hood Corruption which was linked above. Don't do anything on that list. It won't guarantee that you won't get corruption. However, everything on that list is sure to cause corruption.

Next time that you reset, backup your existing save game first. That way, if you find that you miss a particular lot, you'll still have access to it.

Even better: When you remodel a lot, just package it up right away. You can move the packaged lot to long-term storage (like a USB stick, DVD, or external hard drive), so that it won't take up too much space. Then you know that you'll always have the lot available.

I've been thinking that maybe i should repackage the lot first but, I don't know where it gets saved and btw I had copied the sims2 before I did the reset so, no problem I just deleted the old sims2 and replaced it with a copy since i changed my mind about resetting since I don't even know what has cause the tourguide to appear yet? But, where exactly the packaged house ends up and should I after finding it put it in my download folder or? I just want to have it with all the furnishing and all ready in the houses bin. Is that possible? Thanks in advance. :turtle: :beer:

Mootilda
18th Feb 2012, 3:37 AM
This tutorial explains how to package a lot and where to find the result:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Lots_Multiple_Times

telefen
18th Feb 2012, 4:27 PM
This tutorial explains how to package a lot and where to find the result:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Lots_Multiple_Times Hi Mootilda; I just read thru that tutorial but, some of it doesn't make sence like the last part about selecting all the houses in the lotscatologe and right clicking to choose properties. I did that but, there's no such option as to choose read only to click. All I find is at the bottom two boxes , one says hidden and the other copyright protected. Also I'll have to evict my sims as I understand but, can one not include the custom items already existing in that house? Also as I understand I'll have to remove that package lot but, where shall I put it and how do I install it?. :turtle: :beer:

Mootilda
18th Feb 2012, 6:11 PM
You can ignore Note #2 in the FAQ. That note starts with "Rather than the steps above". That's an alternative method and not one which you need to worry about.

Do you understand how to package the lot in the game?

Do you understand how to find the lot in your PackagedLots folder? The name of the Sims2Pack is displayed by the game when you package the lot.

You can move the packaged lot anywhere on your computer. Personally, I have a folder where I keep all of my "Maxis Lot Remakes", but it's really up to you where you want to keep it. As I explained before, you might want to move the lot to long-term storage, like a USB stick, DVD, or external hard drive.

Do you understand how to install a packaged lot using the Clean Installer?

When you package the lot, you shouldn't need to evict your sims. You have two alternatives:

1) Evict the family and package the lot. Unless you have mods which make the furniture remain on the lot, you will lose all of your furniture.

2) You can just package the lot with the family. However, DO NOT install the lot with the family. When you install the packaged lot, be sure to use the Clean Installer. Uncheck the family and the individual sims, and install just the lot and required CC. Uncheck anything labelled "Packaged Family", "Packaged Sim", "Packaged Sim Data", or "Packaged Ghost". In fact, if you already have all of your CC installed in your game, you should just click on the icon labelled "Select lot file only".

telefen
18th Feb 2012, 10:49 PM
You can ignore Note #2 in the FAQ. That note starts with "Rather than the steps above". That's an alternative method and not one which you need to worry about.

Do you understand how to package the lot in the game?

Do you understand how to find the lot in your PackagedLots folder? The name of the Sims2Pack is displayed by the game when you package the lot.

You can move the packaged lot anywhere on your computer. Personally, I have a folder where I keep all of my "Maxis Lot Remakes", but it's really up to you where you want to keep it. As I explained before, you might want to move the lot to long-term storage, like a USB stick, DVD, or external hard drive.

Do you understand how to install a packaged lot using the Clean Installer?

When you package the lot, you shouldn't need to evict your sims. You have two alternatives:

1) Evict the family and package the lot. Unless you have mods which make the furniture remain on the lot, you will lose all of your furniture.

2) You can just package the lot with the family. However, DO NOT install the lot with the family. When you install the packaged lot, be sure to use the Clean Installer. Uncheck the family and the individual sims, and install just the lot and required CC. Uncheck anything labelled "Packaged Family", "Packaged Sim", "Packaged Sim Data", or "Packaged Ghost". In fact, if you already have all of your CC installed in your game, you should just click on the icon labelled "Select lot file only".

Hi again Mootilda: Sorry to botter you but you're dealing with a complete rooky when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just found out that I don't even have my clean installer anymore since my old computer crashed but that's no issue. I do understand the part about packaging,it's just to click on that icon in neiborhood view when pointing at that particular house and clicking on that item in the menu. After that, I'm completely lost since I've never packaged or even worse, installed a lot using clean installer. So, what you're saying is that the house gets packaged without any furniture but, you mean I can include all other CC I have in the house? What's the reason for not evicting my sims since the house gets packaged without any furnitures like as if I had evicted them first? Or else you mean if I include the sims,the house will retain all the CC? :turtle:

Ghost sdoj
18th Feb 2012, 11:46 PM
Yes, a lot packaged with sims keeps the CC.

When you evict sims, unless you have something like the stay-things shrub from simlogical all of the items in the lot are removed. So if you package a lot after evicting your sims, it will be empty. (Of course you can also go in and re-furnish it after evicting them, and before packaging it.) There is nothing otherwise about packaging a lot that removes anything, so if you package an empty, furnished lot, it will remain that way unless some of the CC doesn't get added.

If you package a lot with sims in it, you DO NOT want to put those sims back into a game. But they get to keep everything that is in the lot. (Including the garbage they dropped halfway to the can because you sent them to go take a shower before they got there. ) You can use the Clean Installer to remove all the sims from the lot after you package it, so the new lot won't corrupt your game. And if you already have all the CC that is in the lot (which you probably do, as it -is- in the lot) you don't want to install all of that twice. Use the Clean Installer to be sure you are only putting the lot in.

Mootilda
19th Feb 2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks, Ghost sdoj.

Sometimes, the easiest way to answer your questions is to try it yourself.

If you have a backup of your neighborhood, you can try evicting the family to see what remains on the lot afterwards. You can also try installing the Stay Things Shrub before eviction to see whether you are happy with the results. There is a bug: your lot price will be incorrect.
http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_MiscHacks.htm

If you create a temporary neighborhood, you can try installing the lot to see how it works in the new neighborhood. You'll be able to see what's included with the lot. Be sure to move a family in and make sure that things are working correctly.

Just don't install an occupied lot, since that will corrupt your neighborhood.

telefen
19th Feb 2012, 3:29 PM
Thanks, Ghost sdoj.

Sometimes, the easiest way to answer your questions is to try it yourself.

If you have a backup of your neighborhood, you can try evicting the family to see what remains on the lot afterwards. You can also try installing the Stay Things Shrub before eviction to see whether you are happy with the results. There is a bug: your lot price will be incorrect.
http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_MiscHacks.htm

If you create a temporary neighborhood, you can try installing the lot to see how it works in the new neighborhood. You'll be able to see what's included with the lot. Be sure to move a family in and make sure that things are working correctly.

Just don't install an occupied lot, since that will corrupt your neighborhood.

Hi Again. I'm confused as ever. I just wanna know after packaging the house, how do I get the clean installer to install it and how do I choose which neighborhood it ends up in. BTW I downloaded your clean installer version yesterday but, like I said I don't know how to use it to install simpack2 files with it especially, like for example if I see a lot here at MTS, how shall I do? Do I save that lot temoporarily nad then double click on it? I remember long ago I used to download stuff at TSR using their simpack2 feature but, I haven't used it since in that manner besides, I don't see that icon here at MTS lots. please enlight me as how sjhall I use the simpack clean installer to install the lots or any other clothing items or so. Thank you everyone. :turtle: :beer:

Mootilda
19th Feb 2012, 5:26 PM
I'm sorry that you're still feeling confused.

Here is the manual for the Clean Installer:
http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=4

You may also find this FAQ handy:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Downloading_for_Fracking_Idiots

Once the Clean Installer has been installed on your system, you just need to double click on the Sims2Pack. Each item in the Sims2Pack has a check mark beside it; just click to check or uncheck the individual items, then click on the Install button. Install into the default location.

When a lot is installed into the game, it ends up in your Lots and Houses bin (short form: Lot Bin). Then, you pick up the house from the Lot Bin and place it down into the neighborhood that you want.