PDA

View Full Version : If EA made bicycles why didn't they make skateboards?

jthm_nny
27th Feb 2012, 2:42 AM
As far as I know, I have NOT seen any skateboards. do they exist as transportation for sims 3? Where do I download?

iadf
27th Feb 2012, 2:45 AM
I've never seen any skate boards to download, but the idea is cool especially if you could learn tricks and perhaps have a career in it.

matrix54
27th Feb 2012, 3:14 AM
Skateboards would mean fans would request skate park. EA barely gives us room for the trillion other lots they give is.
There are skateboards in Generations, though. There are few in the form of an end table, enjoy. :p

Best_Leopard
27th Feb 2012, 4:39 AM
Skateboards would have been an awesome addition to the open neighborhood. The only thing is, I'm almost 100% certain that they'd just work like the cars or bicycles -- they'd appear on the street, get ridden along the street to the destination, and then disappear into the sim's inventory. No cool tricks, no interacting with the terrain, and so on.

Maybe that's the reason they didn't make them, come to think of it. EA wouldn't give the developers time to make the skateboards do anything cool, so the sheer lameness of the execution would only end up annoying everyone.

mithrak_nl
27th Feb 2012, 4:55 AM
Skateboards sounds fun. Maybe even with ramps you can design yourself. That could be just the thing for me to play more often complete families.

DigitalSympathies
27th Feb 2012, 5:02 AM
I think they'd work more like strollers to be honest, which are for sidewalks. I could see it in my head right now, a simple "kick" animation every few feet to gain speed, and the sim gets off, flips it into their hand like real life, and (not like real life) puts it into their "back pocket inventory" when they're done. Rollerblades would be easy to do too, as well as wheelchairs now.

Srikandi
27th Feb 2012, 8:37 AM
The Sims 3 engine does not have any built in physics. That is why strollers don't go uphill... they can't tilt to match the terrain. You could have skateboard tricks in a skateboard park on special objects... that's just a matter of hand-animating everything to LOOK like it's using physics... but not on random hills, curbs etc in the landscape.

And sure, EA COULD add that, just like they could add any other recreational activity ;) Not sure why the fact that the game has bikes or strollers is relevant though... you can't carry over any of the animations of those objects to skateboards, and that's where all the work is.

If you want a skateboard sim with interesting and realistic behavior and the possibility of building your own ramps/parks, you'd need to pick up a game with an engine that incorporates a suitable physics model, like the Tony Hawk series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk_%28series%29 When it comes to features that you really can't incorporate into the game engine the sims has... like roller coaster design, car crashes, and realistic violence, to name a couple of things people often mention, in addition to skateboards... you are really going to be happier with a game whose engine is designed to realistically portray those things.

aGOLDENbox
27th Feb 2012, 4:27 PM
Maybe EA is saving it for a future expansion pack or the store?

virgalibabe
27th Feb 2012, 4:36 PM
It would be cool if they could give us an xtreme type profession though where you need learn a skill and earn money by doing tricks or entering competitions.
@Srikandi: couldn't they give us like an object for the proper animations? I mean like the TS2 ice-skating platforms. All you need to do is place the platform and the sim would skateboard and do tricks and what not. If each part of the ramp came with its own animation then you'd be able to assemble them together, yes? Although the transition between the trick will probably look weird.

Come to think about it they could do it like the horse objects we currently have. We could simply place the object that allow the sim to do several tricks and assemble them the way we like.

vhanster
27th Feb 2012, 4:46 PM
Maybe EA is saving it for a future expansion pack or the store?

:rolleyes: So that they can con us into paying more money for them. Yeeeah....

~MadameButterfly~
27th Feb 2012, 5:49 PM
Come to think about it they could do it like the horse objects we currently have. We could simply place the object that allow the sim to do several tricks and assemble them the way we like.

This is how I'd imagine them doing it. I think a skate park object would be pretty great. The skateboard could be used on sidewalks like the strollers/dog walking thing, but then also used in the trick arena.