Mod The Sims
Page 3 of 5

Mod The Sims (http://www.modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Programs and Utilities (http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Custom Launcher with Package Management [Obsolete] (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=408296)

LifesLover 18th Sep 2010 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granthes
This is definitely a possibility. In fact, I thought I'd already put that code in place, but now that I look, I see it isn't turned on.

I think I had it in there for a while, but I didn't have the recycle bin support, so I removed the delete button. I'll add an enhancement request for this, and try to get it into the next update. Enhancement Request is Here

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's great! I don't know how I lived without this program before. ^_^ It makes life so much easier.

rylsage88 19th Sep 2010 2:52 AM

I am having so much trouble with this. I got fed up with trying to install each download into my game one by one, so I wandered on here looking for an easier way and found this. It looks great, but I can't seem to get your launcher to work. It launches the game, but it doesn't install my custom content downloads. When I run the launcher, it says 0 packages, 0 legacy, 0 disabled, and only the "Welcome" and "Packages" tabs are clickable. When I look in the Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, your icon appears beside everything. I followed the instructions you provided on that other thread about moving new downloaded content into the Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Downloads folder, but even then your launcher doesn't have anything in it... it all still says "0"... I've been sitting here for like an hour trying to figure out what's going on and I can't :-(. Help?!

granthes 20th Sep 2010 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylsage88
I am having so much trouble with this. I got fed up with trying to install each download into my game one by one, so I wandered on here looking for an easier way and found this. It looks great, but I can't seem to get your launcher to work. It launches the game, but it doesn't install my custom content downloads. When I run the launcher, it says 0 packages, 0 legacy, 0 disabled, and only the "Welcome" and "Packages" tabs are clickable. When I look in the Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages folder, your icon appears beside everything. I followed the instructions you provided on that other thread about moving new downloaded content into the Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Downloads folder, but even then your launcher doesn't have anything in it... it all still says "0"... I've been sitting here for like an hour trying to figure out what's going on and I can't :-(. Help?!

When you first start the Custom Launcher, the main screen should show a list of new items that it found in the bottom box. If this is empty, then it didn't find anything.

If you look in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 there should be a logs folder. Inside this is a S3Launcher.log file. If you can PM me that file, I'd be happy to sort out what is happening for you. If that file or folder doesn't exist, then something strange is going on..

Shane_Salvatore 20th Sep 2010 4:48 PM

Quote:
This is a subject still under review.

I would be happy to hear what people are looking for, to better serve the community. Right now, both processes are equally impossible. Once I work out the format of a couple of resource types used by the sims3packs in the EA Launcher, I should be able to do full installs much like the original.

Just a question. Am I right in assuming this still doesn't install worlds yet? Reason I ask is that since I installed the game The official Sims 3 launcher has refused to work and I dearly miss the custom worlds out there but cannot use them since a manual drop of .world file doesn't work and there seems to be no other launcher out there that handled world installation. Forgive my ignorance but have read this thread several times now and it doesn't seem to have been answered. Maybe overlooked... it is near 2am here

On a different note: thanks regardless for this tool as it DOES let me install custom content (just not worlds, which is what am desperate for). Thanks again for all your hard work. Once you get the hang of this program its awesome!

matildarose 20th Sep 2010 6:28 PM

I tried the newest update with my launcher of choice and it worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch!

granthes 20th Sep 2010 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Salvatore
Just a question. Am I right in assuming this still doesn't install worlds yet? Reason I ask is that since I installed the game The official Sims 3 launcher has refused to work and I dearly miss the custom worlds out there but cannot use them since a manual drop of .world file doesn't work and there seems to be no other launcher out there that handled world installation. Forgive my ignorance but have read this thread several times now and it doesn't seem to have been answered. Maybe overlooked... it is near 2am here

On a different note: thanks regardless for this tool as it DOES let me install custom content (just not worlds, which is what am desperate for). Thanks again for all your hard work. Once you get the hang of this program its awesome!
I'm sad to say that you didn't overlook the ability to install worlds... Unfortunately, I don't have enough information about worlds to know how to make the launcher install them.

I'm glad to hear that you like the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matildarose
I tried the newest update with my launcher of choice and it worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch!

I'm always happy to help with feature requests... How was the ease of use, etc.?

Thanks,
Grant.

Winterhart 22nd Sep 2010 6:05 AM

Just a quick question. What to the set and clear buttons do?

granthes 22nd Sep 2010 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhart
Just a quick question. What to the set and clear buttons do?

The set and clear buttons were a request for someone who uses a 2nd launcher between my custom launcher and the game.

If you want to load, for example, a frame-rate limiter, you can use the set button to select it. Then when you hit play, it loads the frame rate limiter and that loads TS3.

Not really a feature that most people will need. Just be sure that if you don't know you need it, that it says <Default> next to the clear button. If not, hit Clear.

Winterhart 24th Sep 2010 10:29 PM

Stats

I thought you might like so know about this. In the test game that I run with Any Game starter with no mods I go from click to play in 55 seconds.

I now have 800 files being managed with the launcher. I go from click to play 103 seconds. There is no lag in the game. I really love this program. It does take a little longer to load the first time I run the game after installing several files. But the second time it's all back to being quick. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you are putting into this. This is the best thing to happen for the game.

Winterhart 25th Sep 2010 5:55 PM

Question about type field

Hi granthes,

I have several files showing the letter s in the type. Some have upper case S and others have lower case s. What does that mean? I haven't looked through all 800 files but it seems like the are only showing up by mods.

granthes 25th Sep 2010 11:09 PM

Quote:
Hi granthes,

I have several files showing the letter s in the type. Some have upper case S and others have lower case s. What does that mean? I haven't looked through all 800 files but it seems like the are only showing up by mods.
What you are seeing is the very early signs of the package category detection code.

If it shows an 's', it means that there is a script resource in the package. A 'S' means that it has a version specific script resource.

You are exactly correct that this is detecting mods.

J_Bliler 30th Sep 2010 6:44 PM

I realize that this is a stupid question, When using this program, where do I put the CC? Do I got to make a folder for it. I do make sure that the custom content is allowed.

KagomeKagome 30th Sep 2010 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Long time, no see.

Saw that you had updated, so I got rid of the old build I had (the very first one uploaded in this thread ages ago) and installed the new one. It's not loading, and I'm noticing it throwing a few warnings in the log, so I attached the log.

granthes 1st Oct 2010 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bliler
I realize that this is a stupid question, When using this program, where do I put the CC? Do I got to make a folder for it. I do make sure that the custom content is allowed.
Greetings,
The best way to use the Custom Launcher is to place any new CC in the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. You can place any .package, .sim, .zip, .rar, or .7z file here and it will be appropriately installed.

Once installed, you can set a category for the CC on the packages screen. This places the CC in a sub-folder named for the category to help you organize it.

Any CC installed in this way will be combined into a single large .package file for the game to load rather than the separate individual files. This helps the game load faster and run faster if you have a large amount of CC installed.

The program also can see any of your original CC that is installed in the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. Just click the Show Legacy button on the packages screen and you can enable/disable these file, or make them controlled by the launcher by using the install button.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

granthes 1st Oct 2010 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagomeKagome
Long time, no see.

Saw that you had updated, so I got rid of the old build I had (the very first one uploaded in this thread ages ago) and installed the new one. It's not loading, and I'm noticing it throwing a few warnings in the log, so I attached the log.

OK. This points out a bit of a failure of my logging system.

I'll need to make some changes to the program and have you run that newer version so we can see what is going on.

Some of the warnings are for corrupted Store content and some appear to be made with early tools that used the Spore package description, not the TS3 version.

I'll try to upload a new test version for you to try in a few hours. I've got a night class to get to in a few minutes here, but once that's done I'll update and upload.

granthes 1st Oct 2010 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagomeKagome
Long time, no see.

I added a bug report on this Bug #36 just to keep track of it.

The logging should now tell exactly what files are throwing the warnings. (I should have had that from the start! ) and I expect that there is a .package file that is actually crashing the program without a log message...

I've posted a temporary version of the install files on my forum here. Feel free to reply back to that topic with the new log file.

genuinethief 3rd Oct 2010 9:31 AM

you are impressive comrade ! .

noel1976 10th Oct 2010 10:22 AM

The play button is orange but if I press it the games starts just fine. On the packages tab it shows that everything is ok and that the package load has been completed but where it shows the database status it reads 0 packages and that a rebuild is required, then when I press it a rebuild failed message appears "Reference to object not established as instance of an object". I've tried changing the shortcut as you suggested on a previous reply but stil it won't work. orry to bother but I'm really interesed in this program.

granthes 10th Oct 2010 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel1976
The play button is orange but if I press it the games starts just fine. On the packages tab it shows that everything is ok and that the package load has been completed but where it shows the database status it reads 0 packages and that a rebuild is required, then when I press it a rebuild failed message appears "Reference to object not established as instance of an object". I've tried changing the shortcut as you suggested on a previous reply but still it won't work. sorry to bother but I'm really interesed in this program.

The error you are seeing is usually caused by not having any packages installed by placing them in the downloads folder. The launcher needs to manage at least one package to be able to use the rebuild process. Since there aren't any packages under management, the play button will be orange but still work fine.

The other option is to go to the packages screen, enable the show legacy check box, choose (at least) one item and click the install button.

Either method should get your launcher initialized so that the rebuild will work.

This is a known issue that I'm not able to fix without a major rewrite, so I'm saving it until I get Version 2 of the launcher...

noel1976 10th Oct 2010 9:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. My packages are all in C:\Program files\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3\Mods\Packages, I think it's because my Launcher doesn't work (I mean the one that comes with the game) or because it's in Spanish.

granthes 11th Oct 2010 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel1976
Thanks for the reply. My packages are all in C:\Program files\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3\Mods\Packages, I think it's because my Launcher doesn't work (I mean the one that comes with the game) or because it's in Spanish.

Ok. That is the old method of installing custom content, from before the Ambitions release.

While it does work, it isn't the best way to do things... I would suggest that you copy your mods from that folder under Program Files into the <documents>\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3\Downloads folder (or possibly the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder, if the Los Sims 3 doesn't exist). The custom launcher should see them there and start using them. None of the advantages of the Custom Launcher happen with the cc under Program Files.

Keirin 11th Oct 2010 9:08 PM

my game runs hundred times slower with this launcher and it lags and crashes a lot too.. I wonder what did I do wrong..

granthes 12th Oct 2010 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirin
my game runs hundred times slower with this launcher and it lags and crashes a lot too.. I wonder what did I do wrong..
I wonder if you have multiple frameworks installed?

If you still have the mods under the \Program Files\... folder and are also using the Custom Launcher, it would probably be quite a bit slower.

The best way to be sure that it is the launcher causing the problem is to try and run the game with the Disable Custom Content check box checked. It it is still slow, then the custom launcher isn't the problem. On the other hand, if it speeds back up, then something that you have installed using the launcher is slowing down the game.

I'd check to make sure you don't have duplicate packages or perhaps a TS2 version package accidentally installed. That really slows down the game.

rorsdors 13th Oct 2010 10:19 AM

I cant get the launcher to launch, I see it on the task-bar but nothing happens.

Keirin 13th Oct 2010 10:39 PM

I realised my little problem after my message, but now everything works. Thanks :D

granthes 13th Oct 2010 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorsdors
I cant get the launcher to launch, I see it on the task-bar but nothing happens.

Hmm. Not much detail to work with here...

Did you also install the .NET 4.0 Client Framework from the link in the overview? Do you get any errors in your windows logs?

You can let me know here, or log into my support forums at http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/ and we'll get you up and running.

gbreez 24th Oct 2010 4:38 AM

Granthes, my friend, just checking in to say "hello" and "thank you" again for all that you do. I just downloaded the latest launcher which works splendidly. Looking forward to the next one, which sounds like it will be incredible. You do good work.
I gave up on trying to get the Kolipoki magic thingy to work. Here's hoping that EA does follow through with things as they seem to be doing and will make a TS3 Magic EP. It was my favorite.
Oh, and I gave up on MATY and followed Winterhart's advice; I went to NRaas and have come to love the place, twallan, and all the great programs offered. Shiny people.
Well, please don't work yourself to death; we all love you too much to want to see that happen. Be well.

Winterhart 26th Oct 2010 11:19 PM

Hi Granthes,

I just installed the new EP. I haven't run it yet because I want to be sure nothing I have installed will be a problem. I the type column I see an s and a SE. The ones with SE are disabled. What do those mean?

Thank you for your time

granthes 27th Oct 2010 12:26 AM

Quote:
Hi Granthes,

I just installed the new EP. I haven't run it yet because I want to be sure nothing I have installed will be a problem. I the type column I see an s and a SE. The ones with SE are disabled. What do those mean?

Thank you for your time

Mods with the s (lowercase) probably will run on the new patch, with or without Late Night. These are simple script mods.

Mods with the S (uppercase) almost certainly will crash the game. These are core mods or mods that are tied directly into the core of the game. Since the core changes drastically with every EP, these mods are very dangerous to run so they get disabled by the launcher automatically.

I'd be somewhat careful about running any CC with either S or s in it until you hear from the creator that it is working or they provide an update.

--Grant

bootz 27th Oct 2010 5:31 PM

Thank you for creating this launcher. It is very helpful and goes a long way in speeding up the game. I've been using this launcher for a few months now.

My apologies in advance for this question that I needed to ask just in case if it has already been address elsewhere in this thread.

My question: I am about to patch up my game (BG, WA & Ambitions) to the latest patches in preparation for Late Night. I am aware of countless suggestions of removing custom contents prior to updating patches or installing expansions or stuff packs. Would it be necessary to remove also the launcher or rather the builds which contained the cc's? If so how do we go about doing it? thank you.

granthes 27th Oct 2010 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
Thank you for creating this launcher. It is very helpful and goes a long way in speeding up the game. I've been using this launcher for a few months now.

My apologies in advance for this question that I needed to ask just in case if it has already been address elsewhere in this thread.

My question: I am about to patch up my game (BG, WA & Ambitions) to the latest patches in preparation for Late Night. I am aware of countless suggestions of removing custom contents prior to updating patches or installing expansions or stuff packs. Would it be necessary to remove also the launcher or rather the builds which contained the cc's? If so how do we go about doing it? thank you.

There is no need to remove the custom launcher, since TS3 doesn't know anything about it. It is enough to click the disable CC checkbox on the custom launcher and exit it before the patch.

I've tested this method and it works quite well, both for patching and for adding EPs and SPs.

AyumiKoshiro 28th Oct 2010 8:43 PM

I am trying to organize my downloads but the launcher won't recognize my file system in the downloads folder. It can only see package files that are directly in downloads and not ones in a folder. I know it did before did this change with an update?

granthes 28th Oct 2010 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyumiKoshiro
I am trying to organize my downloads but the launcher won't recognize my file system in the downloads folder. It can only see package files that are directly in downloads and not ones in a folder. I know it did before did this change with an update?

The custom launcher has never looked in sub-folders of downloads... A better way to do what you are looking for is to move those folders into the <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. These are scanned by the custom launcher when you click the Show Legacy check box and then you can use the Install button to import them into the launcher.

bootz 31st Oct 2010 6:30 AM

@Granthes: First off, forgive my noobiness. I appreciated your earlier advised about there's no need to remove installed build package from the sims directory. However, my problem was not simply patching my game. I had to uninstall and reinstall everything. Before doing this, I cut & paste the "installed" folder (I think where build packages are found) to another partition.

I have all (Sims BG, WA, HELS, Ambitions, Fast Lane & Late Night) & all patch up to the latest, I have another question for you. Now, can I simply cut and paste back the "installed" folder (I think where build packages are found) containing all of my "build" cc's to LateNight directory or do I have to "rebuild" the whole thing all over again???

Thank you very much for everything!

granthes 31st Oct 2010 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
@Granthes: First off, forgive my noobiness. I appreciated your earlier advised about there's no need to remove installed build package from the sims directory. However, my problem was not simply patching my game. I had to uninstall and reinstall everything. Before doing this, I cut & paste the "installed" folder (I think where build packages are found) to another partition.

I have all (Sims BG, WA, HELS, Ambitions, Fast Lane & Late Night) & all patch up to the latest, I have another question for you. Now, can I simply cut and paste back the "installed" folder (I think where build packages are found) containing all of my "build" cc's to LateNight directory or do I have to "rebuild" the whole thing all over again???

Thank you very much for everything!

The Installed folder contains all of the actual packages that you had installed. However, the category data is stored in the Mods/LaunchCache folder.

If you copy and paste both of these folders back into your new install, the custom launcher will work exactly as before. If you didn't make a backup of the LaunchCache folder, then you will have to re-categorize you packages before the custom launcher will work.

gohan2091 31st Oct 2010 6:56 PM

When I view my package files, I am not seeing a preview of what the package has, e.g. if I have a jeans package, I am not seeing a picture of the jeans included or any written information... is this normal?

I am looking for a Sim3 tool that allows me to view .package files, and see their contents. I have tools that do this now but I can only select one .package file at a time, which is too time consuming.

granthes 31st Oct 2010 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohan2091
When I view my package files, I am not seeing a preview of what the package has, e.g. if I have a jeans package, I am not seeing a picture of the jeans included or any written information... is this normal?

I am looking for a Sim3 tool that allows me to view .package files, and see their contents. I have tools that do this now but I can only select one .package file at a time, which is too time consuming.

This is a feature that will be included in the upcoming version 2 of the Custom Launcher.

I'm working on a complete re-design and re-write of the custom launcher to implement many of the requested features that can't be implemented effectively in the current custom launcher.

I expect this V2 launcher to be beta-testable by the end of the year. Feel free to visit my custom launcher support forum to see progress reports and to submit feature requests.

gohan2091 31st Oct 2010 7:48 PM

Quote:
This is a feature that will be included in the upcoming version 2 of the Custom Launcher.

I'm working on a complete re-design and re-write of the custom launcher to implement many of the requested features that can't be implemented effectively in the current custom launcher.

I expect this V2 launcher to be beta-testable by the end of the year. Feel free to visit my custom launcher support forum to see progress reports and to submit feature requests.

Ah that's a shame, I was hoping for something now but I wish you the best and will keep checking for updates! Merlin sort of does what I want BUT half the package files have no preview image I tried deleting CC from inside the CAS screen with the trash bin icon but doesn't happens.

bootz 31st Oct 2010 11:48 PM

@granthes: Sorry for the delay but I'm happy to report that it everything works find when I simply paste it all back. I didn't have to "rebuild" from scratch as I initially feared. This utility (S3CL) you made is amazing. Can't wait for the newest version your designing. Thank you!!

Mrs Brown 2nd Nov 2010 3:29 PM

Quote:
First, thank you for the time and effort you put into this. But I have a few questions.

Your first feature "Validates and Installs or Repairs the Mod Framework on each run". Then at the end you tell people to "Please be sure to back up your Mods directory under Program Files as well as your Downloads and Installed directories under My Documents." Maybe I am just confused but Mods directory no longer goes in Program Files. It goes in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. With the Mods folder in this directory ALL custom content shows up correctly with the little folder icon. It sounds like your launcher replacement will change that back to the way it used to be. Is that right?
Dear Winter Ty as always Ive followed you since day1.Tyvm For catching that, We need to do dinner ,you buy I will make the pie.LOLZ Mamma Simma......PLS support and wear a pink ribbon for my lung cancer good sir ty.

Stranded 2nd Nov 2010 10:23 PM

Hello, I'm sorry for the stupid question. I use Game Launcher and I'm fine with it - it made my game faster, but I have a problem - how to make my CC to be in the game. I managed all 431 files, but they're not showing in the game. It's written uncategorized legacy.. In the same time when I use S3Ln launcher there are a lot of package and sims3 files... They aren't showing in the game when I use Custom Launcher. I want to know is there any instruction about using it and please give me link. I sure do something wrong, but I don''t know what,...

granthes 3rd Nov 2010 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded
Hello, I'm sorry for the stupid question. I use Game Launcher and I'm fine with it - it made my game faster, but I have a problem - how to make my CC to be in the game. I managed all 431 files, but they're not showing in the game. It's written uncategorized legacy.. In the same time when I use S3Ln launcher there are a lot of package and sims3 files... They aren't showing in the game when I use Custom Launcher. I want to know is there any instruction about using it and please give me link. I sure do something wrong, but I don''t know what,...

Please take a look at the Custom Launcher Help Page for more help on using the Custom Launcher.

Stranded 3rd Nov 2010 8:33 PM

Okey, I've read about the custom manager and I use it, but I couldn't find an answer for the downloads *sims3pack.. The launcher installed on my game just package files, but not those in *sims3pack. It's true my S3launcher \after installing Late Night it crashed somehow\ doesn't work well, but I have a lot of CC in *sims3pack. Should I download it in *package format? I''ve read manual installation and the help page, but there isn't written about *sims3pack files... Doesn't it support them?

P.S - I found my answers. I hope you will update soon this launcher. I'm sure you will fix the problem with sims3pack files. Thanks for your good creations, it helps me a lot.. And I will download CC in package format until you fix the sims3pack..

AyumiKoshiro 4th Nov 2010 10:50 PM

Thanks that is probably what I was doing before but due to poor planning I had a hassle installing Late night and had to go through a whole mess of trouble updating my game. I moved my folders all over the place.

Stranded 5th Nov 2010 7:23 AM

Late night sure is full with bugs........

simfanatic96 5th Nov 2010 10:17 PM

How do you combine the package files its really hard to use and im having trouble. I have to click on each package manually how do i select all and install?

Shane_Salvatore 6th Nov 2010 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simfanatic96
How do you combine the package files its really hard to use and im having trouble. I have to click on each package manually how do i select all and install?
To install I usually shift+click. If you've never done that before click on thye first of your legacy packages then hold down shift and scroll down to the last legacy package and click it while still holding shift. That should highlight all (those that have ticks beside them). Then click install while all are highlighted. That worked for me. Hope that makes sense.

Stranded 13th Nov 2010 10:54 AM

Sorry if I duplicate some questions, but I want to know will you fix Custom launcher to show and sims3pack files in next update?

granthes 13th Nov 2010 7:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I duplicate some questions, but I want to know will you fix Custom launcher to show and sims3pack files in next update?

I will be adding the Sims3Pack capabilities to a future version of the Custom Launcher. It might not be the next version, but it will be soon.

Stranded 14th Nov 2010 3:22 PM

Thank you for you promise. I believe in you and I'll wait for updates. Your custom launcher is really something good to have and it helps a lot with the game.

rlaguswl4321 14th Nov 2010 9:26 PM

Hey, your custom launcher is working beautifully for me, and all my thanks to you But I do have a question. If you decide to delete the custom launcher, do my CC get deleted too? If it doesn't, how would you restore the CC as individual package files?

granthes 15th Nov 2010 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaguswl4321
Hey, your custom launcher is working beautifully for me, and all my thanks to you But I do have a question. If you decide to delete the custom launcher, do my CC get deleted too? If it doesn't, how would you restore the CC as individual package files?

Deleting the Custom Launcher doesn't delete the files.

Inside your <documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder you should find an Installed folder. Inside you will find a Launcher folder. In this Launcher folder will be a sub-folder for each category you have set, with each of the packages in place. Simply move these folders to your Mods\Packages folder.

There will also be an Archives folder with the .zip, .rar, or .7z file that the packages originally came from.

SilentAlex 16th Nov 2010 9:02 PM

Hi there, is it normal for the CC to appear duplicated in the game? I have two of every custom item, one with a folder icon and the other with a plumbob

granthes 17th Nov 2010 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAlex
Hi there, is it normal for the CC to appear duplicated in the game? I have two of every custom item, one with a folder icon and the other with a plumbob

It sounds like you may have the packages already installed via sims3pack files as well as via the Custom Launcher.

When installed with the Custom Launcher, there should only be the ones with the folder icon.

When installed with Sims3packs, you get the plumbob icon.

SilentAlex 17th Nov 2010 9:24 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you may have the packages already installed via sims3pack files as well as via the Custom Launcher.

When installed with the Custom Launcher, there should only be the ones with the folder icon.

When installed with Sims3packs, you get the plumbob icon.

Oh, I see, I'm gonna try and uninstall the sms3packs files, thank you very much!

osanomina 19th Nov 2010 2:25 AM

Not sure if this was brought to your attention yet, i looked through the other pages, but did not find anything:

Kaspersky Pure (as well as Antivirus 11 on another computer) detected: Trojan program Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.qyr in the setup version of the download. The manual install seems to be clean though.

Thanks for the good work with the program. Surely makes playing the sims much easier

granthes 19th Nov 2010 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osanomina
Not sure if this was brought to your attention yet, i looked through the other pages, but did not find anything:

Kaspersky Pure (as well as Antivirus 11 on another computer) detected: Trojan program Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.qyr in the setup version of the download. The manual install seems to be clean though.

Thanks for the good work with the program. Surely makes playing the sims much easier

Thanks for the info.... I"ll be sure to check it out before I upload the next version...

Stranded 20th Nov 2010 12:15 AM

Hello, I have a question - Recently I've put the awesome mod in the folder mods/ packages and my game, when I use custom launcher freezes.. So if you can help me, it would be good.. So, why the game freezes? It's some conflict between Custom Launcher and awesome mod ?

granthes 20th Nov 2010 5:42 PM

Quote:
Hello, I have a question - Recently I've put the awesome mod in the folder mods/ packages and my game, when I use custom launcher freezes.. So if you can help me, it would be good.. So, why the game freezes? It's some conflict between Custom Launcher and awesome mod ?

As long as awesome mod is using standard package files, there shouldn't be a problem. However, if you can get me the URL for where to download it, I'd be happy to test and be sure.

Winterhart 24th Nov 2010 6:01 AM

Quote:
I have a suggestion. Even if there is no conflict, dump awesome mod and get Twallan's Master Controller and Story Progression mods. His mods are much better and he doesn't make you feel like an idiot for asking questions. I use his mods with the Custom Launcher and have never had a problem with them.

Stranded 24th Nov 2010 5:38 PM

There's no conflict with awesome mod, but as far as I read for Twallan's mods, sure they're better and helpful. It's a bit hard to understand \for me\ what patches and phases are... Whatever, I should read more. Thanks for the information.

Stranded 25th Nov 2010 5:42 PM

And once again I thank you granthes for your custom launcher. It made my game faster and my will to play Sims 3 came back.. I believe you're serious for custom launcher and I expect your updates of the launcher. You have my support. :}

SimOppa 28th Nov 2010 5:15 AM

May I suggest you add some sort of FPS limiter? I usually Run Under FPS or Sims3Booter limiter because sims 3 Spikes frame rates randomly sometimes and that damages hardware. Thanks For the Program btw

granthes 28th Nov 2010 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimOppa
May I suggest you add some sort of FPS limiter? I usually Run Under FPS or Sims3Booter limiter because sims 3 Spikes frame rates randomly sometimes and that damages hardware. Thanks For the Program btw

There are a couple buttons under the play button designed to allow you to use FPS Limiter or Sims3Booter (or any other program) automatically.

Click the set button, browse to the utility that you want to run before TS3, and click OK. Now when you click play, that util is run instead of TS3.

If you want to go back to the default, just click clear.

Stranded 5th Dec 2010 4:58 PM

Sorry for bother you,but today I reinstalled Sims 3 for 7 time and patched it till Late Night 6.1.11. I installed custom launcher and when I tried to start it, there was a message "It looks you have installed an unofficial game modification that does not match you current version of The sims 3. We recommend that you either uninstall these game modification or get updated version of them - otherwise you may experience crashes of significant bugs.

Do you wish to quit or continue"

This is the first time I see this message. I updated with patch downloader the game and I used LAA with "force LAA". Why is this message? When I try to load game with LN Loader it doesn't have problems.. It seem odd to me. Please give me a suggestion what to do. I would like to use you Custom Launcher

granthes 5th Dec 2010 10:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry for bother you,but today I reinstalled Sims 3 for 7 time and patched it till Late Night 6.1.11. I installed custom launcher and when I tried to start it, there was a message "It looks you have installed an unofficial game modification that does not match you current version of The sims 3. We recommend that you either uninstall these game modification or get updated version of them - otherwise you may experience crashes of significant bugs.

Do you wish to quit or continue"

This is the first time I see this message. I updated with patch downloader the game and I used LAA with "force LAA". Why is this message? When I try to load game with LN Loader it doesn't have problems.. It seem odd to me. Please give me a suggestion what to do. I would like to use you Custom Launcher

What you are seeing is the game warning you that some of your mods aren't compatible with the latest patch... Many mods, especially core mods must match the version of the geme exactly.

Stranded 6th Dec 2010 5:46 AM

You're right, the problem was the new patch 6.1.11. I unistalled late night and installed it again, but not the new patch. 6.1.11 is really worth of complaining.. And it doesn't work on my pc. Thanks anyway

bayjell 6th Dec 2010 11:52 PM

I've just started using this, and im curious, where are the old mod files it copied to create the ModBUILD files?
deleted or moved, or what?

granthes 7th Dec 2010 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayjell
I've just started using this, and im curious, where are the old mod files it copied to create the ModBUILD files?
deleted or moved, or what?

In the <Documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Installed folder.

Inside this folder will be a series of folders corresponding to the categories, and packages in the folders....

james20150 9th Dec 2010 6:54 AM

I had hoped this would solve some of my problems with this game however everytime i try to do a rebuild the it says that there is no object reference, what should i do to get this up and working? also, the only things showing up in the program are welcome and packages there is nothing elses there on the left.

granthes 9th Dec 2010 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james20150
I had hoped this would solve some of my problems with this game however everytime i try to do a rebuild the it says that there is no object reference, what should i do to get this up and working? also, the only things showing up in the program are welcome and packages there is nothing elses there on the left.

This error message indicates that you haven't installed any content for the Custom Launcher to control.

You need to add at least one item of custom content to the <Documents>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder to allow the Custom Launcher to function. The more you this way, the better performance your game will have.

Stranded 21st Dec 2010 4:49 PM

Hey, granthes I have 3 questions:

1. Why do I have in my mods directory modbuild0 and modbuild1?. I thought it should be one.
2. When you plan to update the software?
3. Why the custom launcher still shows corrupted files like shadow people and broken filen in CC?

I have some suggestions:
1.The Custom Launcher to clean "Bad" CC before loading the game.
2.The Custom Launcher to have something like dashboard.
3. The custom Launcher to have a separate installer for sims3pack files. So, the mod could be formed from package and sims3pack files together.

Sorry if these things are suggested already.

granthes 21st Dec 2010 5:25 PM

Quote:
Hey, granthes I have 3 questions:

1. Why do I have in my mods directory modbuild0 and modbuild1?. I thought it should be one.
2. When you plan to update the software?
3. Why the custom launcher still shows corrupted files like shadow people and broken filen in CC?

I have some suggestions:
1.The Custom Launcher to clean "Bad" CC before loading the game.
3. The custom Launcher to have a separate installer for sims3pack files. So, the mod could be formed from package and sims3pack files together.

Sorry if these things are suggested already.

Greetings,

The reason for the multiple ModBUILDx.package files is because windows has a limit on the size of files. You probably have more CC than can fit in a single ModBUILD0.package so a second file was required.

Currently the Custom Launcher doesn't have error checking for bad CC or any way to deal with Sims3Packs. This is being addressed with the update that is currently being written.

This new update is a major rewrite and will probably take several more weeks to complete. Each of your requests for update have been considered, and will probably be included in the new update.

You can find more information about the new update at my website

Thanks,

Grant

Stranded 21st Dec 2010 5:45 PM

Thank you and do what it takes to improve your launcher. The time doesn't matter. I'm glad you did Custom Launcher, really it helped me lot.

bayjell 23rd Dec 2010 8:21 PM

Quote:

That actually made me think of a fairly good idea.

Hey granthes, maybe you can add something that deletes the caches when you open the custom launcher?

granthes 24th Dec 2010 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayjell
That actually made me think of a fairly good idea.

Hey granthes, maybe you can add something that deletes the caches when you open the custom launcher?

A good idea! I'll add it to my list....

Thanks,

Grant

bayjell 24th Dec 2010 5:24 AM

Oh and hey, an option or tweak that changes the way it imports packages so that when say I update MC it doesn't rename it to Nraas_Master_Controller(1).package, but it deletes the old one and places the new in it, or just simply overwrite it.
That would save alot of time too lol

Mewfii 9th Jan 2011 3:43 PM

Can you just update this one, I've done things manually but there are still noobs that need this program so why don't you just update it for the new year, just would make this a lot more easier for people that don't know how to do it manually...

SkittlesxP 23rd Jan 2011 4:47 PM

Everytime I try to download this I try to open with winrar for windows I get a error message once I open up in winrar.
Any suggestions? I tired downloading it multiple times however it says it currupt.

granthes 24th Jan 2011 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkittlesxP
Everytime I try to download this I try to open with winrar for windows I get a error message once I open up in winrar.
Any suggestions? I tired downloading it multiple times however it says it currupt.

This sounds like an error with winrar. I've double checked that the files are correct. They open correctly with the windows explorer .zip file extractor.

You might also try with 7-zip rather than winrar that you can get here

smexyfulpanda 24th Jan 2011 10:45 PM

can some one help me? i cant figure out why this program is not showing the floors it says it installed

ninoo 25th Jan 2011 9:11 AM

Ive downloaded the Custom launcher and used it. It’s supposed to help you organize your .package files. But mine were well organised and now my Package folder is empty. All the .package were put in severals folders with pictures who matched each .packages. And now in those folders the packages are gone! They’re in the game but now if I want to delete THAT hair, I can’t! In the Custom launcher it won’t show me the picture in order to choose and delete the right hair!

This is not funny, now I have to undo all that and try to put each file in the good folder… Why when I click on uninstall the package won't go in the place they were before? If only I knew that before install ALL my packages... they were better before (for each packages one picture).

And someone say that : "I have a little suggestion to make it better : some packages doesn't have an explicit name, and I think that a picture of each one would be very helpful to know which one we should keep ... I don't know if it's possible to show the same picture as is the buy/build mode... I let you think about it, but if it's impossible, that's not a problem, don't worry"

(I'm french so sorry if you don't understand at all)

granthes 25th Jan 2011 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoo
Ive downloaded the Custom launcher and used it. It’s supposed to help you organize your .package files. But mine were well organised and now my Package folder is empty. All the .package were put in severals folders with pictures who matched each .packages. And now in those folders the packages are gone! They’re in the game but now if I want to delete THAT hair, I can’t! In the Custom launcher it won’t show me the picture in order to choose and delete the right hair!

This is not funny, now I have to undo all that and try to put each file in the good folder… Why when I click on uninstall the package won't go in the place they were before? If only I knew that before install ALL my packages... they were better before (for each packages one picture).

And someone say that : "I have a little suggestion to make it better : some packages doesn't have an explicit name, and I think that a picture of each one would be very helpful to know which one we should keep ... I don't know if it's possible to show the same picture as is the buy/build mode... I let you think about it, but if it's impossible, that's not a problem, don't worry"

(I'm french so sorry if you don't understand at all)

The current version of the Custom Launcher is not able to do what you're looking for. However, I'm just about to release a beta test version of the next version of the launcher. This one does provide a thumbnail for each item, as well as allow you more control in organizing your content.

It's not quite ready for daily use, but I expect to have it ready in the next week or two.

If you're interested, you can look on my blog at http://sims3.the-prof.net for more information. I post updates on that site from time to time as I develop features for the new version.

ninoo 26th Jan 2011 8:59 AM

Ok thank you i'm waiting for the new version

Winterhart 30th Jan 2011 6:18 AM

Can't access your website!

I've sent an email, PM, and tried to contact you on Facebook. Your website keeps timing out! Can you email me updates on v2 Launcher until you can get it working again. In my email I mentioned that I could host the Launcher for you if you need a place. You can reach me here or at [email protected] or [email protected]

This is the error message I keep getting:

Server error.

The server for http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/vi...=4&t=80&start=0 took too long to respond. It may be overloaded.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
More information on this error
Below is the original error message

HTTP Error 504 (Gateway Timeout): The gateway or proxy server timed out while waiting for a response from an upstream server.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

granthes 31st Jan 2011 7:14 PM

Quote:

I've sent an email, PM, and tried to contact you on Facebook. Your website keeps timing out! Can you email me updates on v2 Launcher until you can get it working again. In my email I mentioned that I could host the Launcher for you if you need a place. You can reach me here or at [email protected] or [email protected]

This is the error message I keep getting:

Server error.

The server for http://sims3.the-prof.net/forums/vi...=4&t=80&start=0 took too long to respond. It may be overloaded.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
More information on this error
Below is the original error message

HTTP Error 504 (Gateway Timeout): The gateway or proxy server timed out while waiting for a response from an upstream server.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Over the last weekend, I was hit by a major spam/hacker attack. My connection was totally overwhelmed by them. Then my ISP decided to start blocking traffic since they noticed the spam traffic.

Now (Monday) it should all be back to normal.

JROEN 4th Feb 2011 8:21 PM

i've downloaded this because my original launcher doesn't work anymore, but i was wondering when we will be able to install regular sims3packs?

nekomyka 5th Feb 2011 12:57 AM

When I tried downloading Avast gave me a malware warning because of a trojan.

Strawberry Kiwi 5th Feb 2011 4:08 PM

Yea, Avast freeware tags this as a trojan and won't allow it to install.

Hanita 5th Feb 2011 9:34 PM

I have the following problem: It installs properly and right after that it says that Custom Launcher stopped working. These are the details:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: S3Launcher.exe
Application Version: 0.9.2555.3
Application Timestamp: 4c967e16
Fault Module Name: KERNEL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp: 49e037dd
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 0003fbae
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

granthes 8th Feb 2011 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Kiwi
Yea, Avast freeware tags this as a trojan and won't allow it to install.

Which download did you use? The Setup version of the manual install version?

I routinely scan my uploads on 3 different virus scanners before posting them, so I'm 99% sure that they are clean.

When I use the Avast online scanner, it complains that the setup program has a generic trojan in it. However, it claims the file is 5.5MB in size. The file is actually only 2.3MB in size. Considering that the scanner is wrong about the file size, I wonder what else it isn't getting right....

I've re-scanned ALL of the uploaded files and none of the manual install files show any infections. If you are concerned about this issue, be sure and use the manual install version.

It is my belief that Avast is giving a false positive and that there is in-fact no trojan involved, but you need to make your own choice on the issue.

granthes 9th Feb 2011 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanita
I have the following problem: It installs properly and right after that it says that Custom Launcher stopped working. These are the details:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: S3Launcher.exe
Application Version: 0.9.2555.3
Application Timestamp: 4c967e16
Fault Module Name: KERNEL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp: 49e037dd
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 0003fbae
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

I have just uploaded a new version of the Custom Launcher. This is build 2885. Please take a look and see if it does the same thing.

Also, take a look in your The Sims 3 folder for a folder named logs. Inside this folder there may be a log file created by the launcher that can help me resolve the issue.

anak_ponti 9th Feb 2011 2:03 AM

Is this a replacement for EA original (& slow) TS3 Launcher? Thank you.

matildarose 9th Feb 2011 12:30 PM

Just to let you know: the manual install works just fine. I'm assuming the Avast issue is a false positive.

lurix 9th Feb 2011 6:55 PM

Thank You!!! Very good work!

Stranded 11th Feb 2011 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROEN
i've downloaded this because my original launcher doesn't work anymore, but i was wondering when we will be able to install regular sims3packs?

I wonder that too. I'm happy with custom launcher now, but I would like to use it about installing sims3pack files sometime in the near future.. :}

Certifyed 16th Feb 2011 1:41 AM

Thanks for the update granthes. Great job as usual As. I've said before your tool is invaluable to me. Keep up the good work.

Doczott 16th Feb 2011 6:49 PM

The Avast trojan warning is on the setup download. I does not flag the manual setup.

granthes 16th Feb 2011 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doczott
The Avast trojan warning is on the setup download. I does not flag the manual setup.

Avast has a problem with the setup maker program that I use. It is a false positive, and doesn't affect the installed program at all.

I routinely scan my uploads with 3 different virus scanners and none of them detect a problem on the setup download. If you are unwilling to trust the setup, please feel free to use the manual download.

Shane_Salvatore 18th Feb 2011 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROEN

You can use MERLIN to install Sims3packs and This custom Launcher from Granthes for packages. It's what I do and they don't clash. It will do until the ability to do both becomes available in the one launcher (if and when that happens). I love this launcher anyway and use Delphy's multi-extractor to open sims3pack files into package files and use this custom launcher to install those. Much prefer this to anything else out there. A wonderful tool that I cannot literally play the game without. It's genius, thanks Granthes!