Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 5:16 PM
Default Apparently teens were most likely added later in development.
Not to spew hate or anything, but I was poking around the python files and this struck out to me. ('Set Sim Age Failure: Invalid Age. Options are: Child, Young Adult, Adult, Elder') So at first, The Sims Team didn't even consider adding teens, and just added them later in development.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 5:22 PM
I am really grateful that EA added in teens for us to enjoy, it must have been difficult rushing them through at the last moment.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 5:25 PM Last edited by simmythesim : 3rd Jul 2015 at 5:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I am really grateful that EA added in teens for us to enjoy, it must have been difficult rushing them through at the last moment.
A former EA employee said this,
Quote:
. "They’re both [pools and toddlers] really important features that are close to our hearts. We didn’t have the time during production to do them right for base game so we made a really hard decision to wait to do it properly instead of something half-baked. I know it’s sad, but our hearts are in the right place.”
I definitely think teens were rushed, as they lack everything a teen differentiated from an adult, like Sneaking Out, different heights, pimples. I wonder why they added them if their goal was to not add any rushed features. I wish EA hadn't put them through insane development deadlines.

EDIT: Considering that the only thing unique to teens were school and some phone selfie animations, they were extremely easy to rush.

Nevermind, they most likely added them in so people wouldn't complain that their 12 year old sim jumps to a decade older when they age up.
Instructor
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 6:18 PM
Oh my gosh. That's sad.

I mean, I can deal with skipping toddlers. They're like Perry - they don't do much. But teenagers? The teenage years are when a person actually figures out who they are!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmythesim
I wish EA hadn't put them through insane development deadlines.

If they hadn't scrapped most of the game, the deadlines might not have been so insane, though. I think EA made the studio deal with their own mess and said that's it. Your deadline is up.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Scholar
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 7:19 PM

Are you able to type that with a straight face?

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 8:19 PM

Sarcasm at its finest

Yeah, I also really got the idea that the game was definitly rushed, the lack of features was related to their lack of time. EA should have extended the deadline for the release of the game. The proof of that is the adding of pools and ghosts weeks after the game was released. Just imagine if there were no teens! That would have been really messed up. This just means the game could have been even worse.
Instructor
#8 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 8:54 PM
The sad thing is that the game WAS delayed by several months. Maybe they should've come close to finishing the game before announcing it...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 9:50 PM
Well... they didn't really add anything, all t hey did was take a chunk of days from the sim lifespan and designate it as "teen" and then make it so they couldn't get full time jobs. Judging by how they look and the complete lack of anything that makes this stage truly stand out as unique and separate from ya/a I think it's pretty clear they were an afterthought along with babies.

I'm surprised ya and elder were in there because I figured their original online version of the game might have been a little more along the lines of sims 1 style aging. It wasn't originally a single person game so it was probably like pop out some kids (who become uncontrollable npcs) and party it up and skill along with random strangers.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm not sure if anyone here remembers, but some simmers posted screenshots and even videos of an earlier version of TS4 from one of the programmers? It clearly showed it had teens (real teens) in it. That version was scratched in favor of the current version.

@nitromon I've never seen those, that made me really curious, do you still have links for those?
Scholar
#12 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 11:08 PM
I never understood the reason for adding YA. The difference between YA and A is very arbitrary and in real life would be dependant on someone's character and their social environment. I mean, most ppl probably know that 50 yr old who dresses and acts like a YA , or the person not even 30 yr old who chases kids of their lawn. I always hoped that this would be done with traits. And that traits could develop or lost during a sims life. Through influence of other sims, events etc.

So like a division of fundamental traits which are more based on genes(genius/athletic) etc given in CAS and other traits that can develop or lost during life (loner/flirty) because of social environment or important events. I would like this more then this rigid YA/A division.

I find it very odd that they made teens look like adults in TS4, so I also suspect like others that they weren't ready yet.

EDIT : Could it be a performance reason? On their hunt for making TS4 as resource friendly as possible, using same meshes (not sure if they are, never looked close enough) could help with that?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 11:47 PM
Whoa, I'm impressed with how some things look better than what we have now, that's a bummer, thanks for the links.
Instructor
#15 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 12:31 AM
That sim's face is soulless and terrifying, though...

http://simscommunity.info/2015/02/2...types-chi-chan/

JUST GOT TO IMAGE 28. BURN HER!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 1:24 AM

Well what do you expect from a company whose first game portrayed an OSHA inspector as the bad guy?