Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:08 PM
Default Is Neoseeker wrong? Moving family from Pleasantview to Belladonna Cove.
I googled and found the Neoseeker topic, but I bet modthesims knows more.

*They say that I should select the house with the family and move or copy to the bin and then I can move the house and family from the bin to Belladonna Cove. But, isn't that bad? As in REALLY bad?
*On of the other posters said that when they did that in a new neighborhood, sims from Pleasantview started appearing.

What's the verdict on moving a family in a house to another neighborhood via bin?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 9:14 PM
Moving an occupied lot between towns is not advisable as it causes corruption; I forget the exact reason, but it has to do with misplaced memories of the now lost sims since they don't exist in that world anymore
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:00 PM
Really really really bad. Don't do it, ever. It will corrupt both of the neighbourhoods. It is really bad. BAD! :-D

PS: Bad! Seriously though, don't try it. It won't end well....
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:05 PM
Thanks guys! I'll just have to recreate the family. It sounds like a small thing but deciding the personalities, aspirations, likes and dislikes, and all clothing for the same 8 sims but in a new neighborhood is... kind of a big deal for me. But their is no way around it. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:07 PM
It is bad to do if both are main hoods, never, never, never-ever move lots to the bin with Sims in them for it will corrupt the hood as soon as you do it and it will corrupt the hood you place it in.

You can move Sims from a main hood to a sub-hood and you can get all the hoods remade as sub-hoods at: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html and scroll down to where it says "Shopping Districts" and there you can get them.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 10:45 PM
But, even if you are moving your Sims to a sub-hood, DON'T do it by moving their occupied house to the lot bin! That will still corrupt your 'hood. Move them out of their house into the family bin, and then move them into a different house in the sub-hood.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:43 PM
Moving an occupied lot to the lot bin is an automatic no-no. No questions, just answers. And the answer is a corrupt neighborhood. If you move the lot into any other neighborhood, you'll spread the corruption to that hood. Deleting an occupied lot from the lot bin won't do any more damage than the neighborhoods you've moved the lot out of, and into.

Read the "Avoiding corruption" link in my signature - a lot of things you shouldn't do to preserve game health are listed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:47 PM
Don't ever, ever move sims between hoods. Not in houses, not in anyway that the game makes possible. Don't even move houses with graves to other hoods, because those graves are sims. Doing any of those things will corrupt the hood you took them from and corrupt the hood you place them into. Move slowly away from that atomic bomb. Also never package houses with sims and upload them for others as it's the same deal, a fiery ball waiting to explode.

Also if you want to recreate your sims safely you will need to extract them with SimPE and then clone them in body shop. You delete the extracted sim and keep the clone. That bodyshop step is important if you want clean non corrupted sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 1:23 AM
When I restarted a brand new game, I moved the Brokes, house and all, from Pleasantview to Riverblossom Hills before even playing any Sims. Neither neighbourhood got corrupted. I'm guessing I was lucky.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 1:43 AM
They both got corrupted.

You did not, however, ever detect and recognize signs of that corruption while playing.

If this site could collect a dollar for every person who said "I did this no-fail corruption thing and my game is fine!" and then came back later and said: "Um, my neighborhood blew up," it wouldn't have to host ads.

A corrupted hood does not necessarily become unplayable at once. I've been playing a corrupted neighborhood for three years now, as it gradually shows more and more signs of corruption. There's a lot of randomness involved in the process; and the tolerance of individual players also varies.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 2:29 AM
^That^

When you moved the Brokes you shredded files, you don't see it but the game code does. It is then a matter of chance as to where that shredded data decides to attach itself. For some people the hood blows up only a couple of weeks after corrupting the data, but others seem to go on for quite some time, with glitches put down to 'just glitches'; but finally the glitches accumulate and their hood also blows up. It is corrupted and it will blow up; just when it blows up is a matter of chance.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#12 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 2:47 AM
I would recommend extracting and packaging the sims for your new neighborhood rather than moving them. Instructions are here: http://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 3:11 AM
After moving the Brokes I replaced Pleasantview with a saved game (with Brokes in it). Would that make a difference?
If they both blow up, so be it. I've had years of playing them, and there is life beyond Sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 3:22 AM
If you deleted the Pleasantview that you took them from, and replaced it, then of course the new Pleasantview would not be corrupt only Riverblossom Hills that you placed them into would be. If you don't care that's fine, you can always take the chance, do as you want and play things for as long as they work. You can get lucky and play a corrupted hood for a year or more. We warn against it because not everyone is happy to do that, some people are devastated to find a hood they spent years developing is down the toilet. The last thing we want is for someone to read that it's an okay thing to do and go and do it thinking it doesn't hurt anything. We are all pretty big on preventing hood corruption around here.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 7:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by krudyard
When I restarted a brand new game, I moved the Brokes, house and all, from Pleasantview to Riverblossom Hills before even playing any Sims. Neither neighbourhood got corrupted. I'm guessing I was lucky.

How long you will stay lucky is another matter.

I've corrupted neighborhoods in all different ways. Not deliberately. Each time, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong. Sometimes, even some veterans here didn't know that what I did was a form of corruption. It seems to be a talent of mine.

My corrupted Pleasantview (v.1) was fine for a few years. But when corruption set in, it set in quickly, worsening with each day. (And that was no exaggeration.) My daughter corrupted her hood, and it lasted all of two weeks. I've heard of corruption taking place in an even shorter time frame than that.

By now, the two wikis have pretty much listed the most common types of corruption. I would consider the corruption chapters in both required reading for Sims 2. I wish this was around in the beginning, when I deleted families out of the family bin because .... all together now ... "Maxis lets us do it!" (Cringes.)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I've heard of corruption taking place in an even shorter time frame than that.

Yes, it can be instant but it does usually take some time.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#17 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 1:17 PM
I remember at least a whole year ago, I corrupted one of my hoods by moving sims between neighborhoods. Bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.

Corruption apparently hasn't set in too bad yet for me. Partially because I don't even remember which 'hood it was. I only ever play Belladonna Cove and my custom sub hoods that I've made for that base 'hood. So I guess I'm just playing it safe for now. Heck, I only even play with one family anymore.
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 6:10 PM
It was exactly a year ago today that I corrupted Strangetown by deleting graves in Olive's lot
(Yes I still remember - 21 August 2013 - because something else unrelated to sims happened too)

DONT DELETE ANY GRAVESTONE OR URN! JUST DONT!
I had the Scary Squiggly Lines :o not nice

I have meetme2theriver's uberhood in my game and I'm trying to take good care of it because it took me heck of a time putting it in the right places!

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 8:38 PM Last edited by jaytee95 : 24th Aug 2014 at 9:11 PM.
I'm going to be honest; I've done a bunch of neighborhood-corrupting things before coming across this site and the avoid corruption articles, and I started playing Sims 2 in September 2012. Last night, my poor Pleasantview may have just bit the dust one month shy of two years later. (Update several days later: it isn't toast, but it isn't any better than it was.)

Moving families on lots from one neighborhood to another is exactly how the further corruption started (since it's worth mentioning that all the neighborhoods shipped with the game have some level of corruption associated with them), as well as being stupid with cheats. This is exactly why on another thread I wrote a funny post that had "avoid corruption" written as every other gameplay tip.

In fact, I now think of the different neighborhoods as being on different planets, with something like thousands of light-years between them and Sims on one planet having no knowledge of the other planets existing.

For those who fail to read the warnings, see the articles on avoiding corruption as "tl;dr", and insist on doing things 'the easy way' because 'it's built into the game' or 'a list of codes tells me I can do it', just know you're getting what you bargained for.