Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom Launcher with Package Management [Obsolete]

by granthes Posted 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:58 PM by Nysha

445 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 18
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:26 AM Last edited by Emmies : 18th Sep 2010 at 4:24 PM.
Okay, I've installed the new version and no more hiccups!
It's so much faster than combining the packages manually, and neater too. Thanks for speeding up my sims game and helping me organise my CC!

To anyone who wants to organise their CC, I highly recommend this program. :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:41 AM
Looks promising. Thank you.
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 9:10 AM
Oh great I'm going to try this.. funny I'm just quite annoyed because I have done combining of packages with S3PE just two days ago..
Test Subject
#5 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:35 AM
This is really something I have been looking for since... yesterday (when I finally got my "Ambitions" and found myself buried under a mass of packages in wrong place because I was running patch 1.11.7 before). Lucky me - thanks to you.
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:08 PM
Great idea! Unfortunately I can't see my packages and it crashes, when I'm clicking on "rebuild"

Let's have some fu(n)!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:19 PM
Looks very useful, i'll give it a try.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyFu
Great idea! Unfortunately I can't see my packages and it crashes, when I'm clicking on "rebuild"

I've got the same problem.

A friend whose hopes we cannot satisfy is a friend we would rather have as an enemy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Field Researcher
#9 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:05 PM
looks promising,
i hope this turns out well, as it will make things much easer.
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:07 PM
Sadly, I cannot even get it to open. It keeps saying an error has occurred and windows is checking for a solution. I installed the framework. So, I am not sure what the issue could be on opening it. I have tried opening it as administrator and regularly, still no dice.
Test Subject
#11 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:52 PM
Sounds great ! I will give it a try and keep an eye out for updates. THANK YOU
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmies
This is fantastic. One question though, once you'e combined the packages can you still see what's in them and uninstall items individually?

Well i've haven't used this Tool yet but i have combined packages with S3PE to boost loading before.

After compining you can't simple remove or update one Package.
So thats why you shouln't combine hacks.
I have compined all my hairs, cars, objects ... each in one file, because i know that i am not going to want to delete a single one.

So keep the single packages somewhere and create a new large package if you want to delete something, or just keep everything and add new packages in the specific folders until they reach a specific count where they are worth to be combined.

btw, it looks like this in my Package folder.
Quote:
27M Combined/Accessory1.package
448K Combined/Adult1.package
101M Combined/Cars1.package
26M Combined/Clothing1.package
34M Combined/Grounds1.package
275M Combined/Hair1.package
122M Combined/Objects1.package
94M Combined/Patterns1.package
91M Combined/Unsorted.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastDepth.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastDistance.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastFullness.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastScale.package
4.0K Hacks/BreastVertical.package
312K hair/afHairHatStylistBarette.package
552K hair/afHairHatStylistSweep.package
1.6M hair/afHairStylistBarettenoband.package
620K hair/afHairStylistFrenchTwist.package
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:34 PM
Does this work on a Mac OSX?
Test Subject
#14 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:25 PM
Can support multiple languages?
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (English)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3 (German)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3 (Spanish)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\模擬市民3 (Chinese-Traditional)
Forum Resident
#15 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:50 PM
Default questions
First, thank you for the time and effort you put into this. But I have a few questions.

Your first feature "Validates and Installs or Repairs the Mod Framework on each run". Then at the end you tell people to "Please be sure to back up your Mods directory under Program Files as well as your Downloads and Installed directories under My Documents." Maybe I am just confused but Mods directory no longer goes in Program Files. It goes in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. With the Mods folder in this directory ALL custom content shows up correctly with the little folder icon. It sounds like your launcher replacement will change that back to the way it used to be. Is that right? :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:01 PM
This is fantastic. One question though, once you'e combined the packages can you still see what's in them and uninstall items individually?

Nevermind. I can't use it. It freezes on rebuild.

Quote: Originally posted by Will's Girl
I've got the same problem.

Quote: Originally posted by modifieddesire
Sadly, I cannot even get it to open. It keeps saying an error has occurred and windows is checking for a solution. I installed the framework. So, I am not sure what the issue could be on opening it. I have tried opening it as administrator and regularly, still no dice.

Emmies, WIll's Girl and modifeddesire, can you enable logging and PM me the log file, please. Also, let me know what version of Windows you are using and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Legodev
Well i've haven't used this Tool yet but i have combined packages with S3PE to boost loading before.

After compining you can't simple remove or update one Package.
So thats why you shouln't combine hacks.
I have compined all my hairs, cars, objects ... each in one file, because i know that i am not going to want to delete a single one.

So keep the single packages somewhere and create a new large package if you want to delete something, or just keep everything and add new packages in the specific folders until they reach a specific count where they are worth to be combined.

That is one of the advantages to using a launcher to do the combination. With the launcher, you individually change what packages are enabled and re-build the combined package files automatically.

The program never deletes a package, it just moves it into the <Documents>/The Sims 3/Installed/Launcher folder. If you later choose to disable a package, just uncheck the box next to it in the list and the next time it re-builds, the game won't see that package.

Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura4
Can support multiple languages?
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (English)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\De Sims 3 (German)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3 (Spanish)
X:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\模擬市民3 (Chinese-Traditional)

I currently only support the English language folder structure.

If you (or anyone) can provide the language name and exact string for the folder name, I will enable support in the next version of the software I release.

For example, I would need:
Code:
en_US  Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ 

I expect to release a new version of the software later this weekend to address any such issues that come up.

Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
First, thank you for the time and effort you put into this. But I have a few questions.

Your first feature "Validates and Installs or Repairs the Mod Framework on each run". Then at the end you tell people to "Please be sure to back up your Mods directory under Program Files as well as your Downloads and Installed directories under My Documents." Maybe I am just confused but Mods directory no longer goes in Program Files. It goes in C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. With the Mods folder in this directory ALL custom content shows up correctly with the little folder icon. It sounds like your launcher replacement will change that back
to the way it used to be. Is that right? :lovestruc

Thanks for catching that!
I released the first test version of this software the Day Before Ambitions released. That warning is a left-over from then.

I'll update the readme and notes about this issue when I upload the next version of the software.

Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:39 PM
Also of note that when mods are installed under /My Documents/Electronics Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/ as of Ambitions and the latest patch the framework dll is no longer required.

It is still required for those who have not updated to the latest patch or Ambitions and still need to keep their mods under /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ or those who have updated but for whatever reason do not wish to move their mods over to My Documents.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreyGhost
Also of note that when mods are installed under /My Documents/Electronics Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/ as of Ambitions and the latest patch the framework dll is no longer required.

It is still required for those who have not updated to the latest patch or Ambitions and still need to keep their mods under /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ or those who have updated but for whatever reason do not wish to move their mods over to My Documents.

Excellent point.

Also of note, the launcher is only for those who do have Ambitions or the June patch.

Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bestock
Does this work on a Mac OSX?

Unfortunately, this only works on Windows machines at the current time.

I don't have access to a Mac, so I can't do any development for that platform.

Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:33 PM
It was brought to my attention that I've neglected to provide instructions on how to "Enable Logging".

Well, here we go.

The way to enable logging for the Custom Launcher is this:

First, you need to create a short-cut to the program if you don't have one already. To do this, find the S3Launcher.exe then right-click and drag the file and choose create shortcut.

Next, right click on your new shortcut and choose properties.

In the box named Target, add the following to the end of the line.
Code:
 /LOG:5
Be sure to include a space before the "/"

Finally, click the OK button to save your changes.

Now when you run the launcher, by clicking on the new shortcut, it will create a log file for you. This file will be called S3Launcher.log and will be in the same folder as the S3Launcher.exe from the first step.

If you need more help with creating a short-cut, :google: windows create shortcut for some good articles.

If you are seeing an error, you can post the last few (5 - 10) lines of the log and that should tell me what is going wrong.

Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Sakura4 : 7th Jul 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by granthes
I currently only support the English language folder structure.

If you (or anyone) can provide the language name and exact string for the folder name, I will enable support in the next version of the software I release.

For example, I would need:
Code:
en_US  Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ 

I expect to release a new version of the software later this weekend to address any such issues that come up.

en_US Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
cs_CZ Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
da_DK Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
nl_NL Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\
fi_FI Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
fr_FR Electronic Arts\Les Sims 3\
de_DE Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\
el_GR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
hu_HU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
it_IT Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
ja_JP Electronic Arts\ザ・シムズ3\
ko_KR Electronic Arts\심즈 3\
no_NO Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pl_PL Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pt_BR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pt_PT Electronic Arts\Os Sims 3\
ru_RU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
es_ES Electronic Arts\Los Sims 3\
es_MX Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
sv_SE Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
th-TH Electronic Arts\เดอะซิมส์ 3\
zh_CN Electronic Arts\模拟人生3\
zh_TW Electronic Arts\模擬市民3\
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakura4
* is confirmed

* en_US Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
cs_CZ Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
da_DK Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
* nl_NL Electronic Arts\De Sims 3\
fi_FI Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
* fr_FR Electronic Arts\Les Sims 3\
* de_DE Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\
el_GR Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
hu_HU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
it_IT Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
* ja_JP Electronic Arts\ザ・シムズ3\
* ko_KR Electronic Arts\심즈 3\
no_NO Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
pl_PL Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
pt_BR Electronic Arts\The Sims™ 3\
pt_PT Electronic Arts\Os Sims™ 3\
ru_RU Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
es_ES Electronic Arts\Los Sims™ 3\
es_MX Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
sv_SE Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
* th-TH Electronic Arts\ซิมส์ 3\
* zh_CN Electronic Arts\模拟人生3\
* zh_TW Electronic Arts\模擬市民3\

My thanks and appreciation for your assistance.
I'll be working on putting this in later tonight, and hopefully this will be a big improvement.

Again, THANK YOU!!!

--Grant

Page 1 of 18