LotCompressor Version 1.0:
This is a picked upload! It showcases some of the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
The LotCompressor will make your lots smaller, so that they are easier to share. A "compress all" feature allows you to compress all of the lots in an entire neighborhood or subhood.
Although I wrote this utility to help with sharing lots and neighborhoods, it can also help to reduce the size of your save game on your hard drive by permanently reducing the size of your lot bin and all of your community lots. Since community lots are not saved as you play, the size reductions will remain in effect unless you modify these lots.
The LotCompressor shrinks the size of your lots by removing several unnecessary images. The missing images are not necessary and will regenerate the next time that you save your lot. Removing these images can significantly reduce the size of your lot. As an example, the subhood that I compressed went from 45 MB to 20 MB (see attached images). Your results may vary.
New forms of compression may be added at a later date. If you have ideas on how to compress lots further, please let me know.
To install, just download LotCompressor.zip and unzip it. Run the EXE from the unzipped location.
This is "alpha" software and is still in development; it is not guaranteed to work and may corrupt your neighborhoods. Be sure to backup your game
before using this tool.
I have included the source code for version 1.0 in LotCompressorSource.zip. There is no need to download this file unless you are a C# programmer who wishes to look at or modify the code.
- The program uses some DLLs from SimPE; they are included in the zip
- The LotCompressor is released under the GNU General Public License.
- You need the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 to run the LotCompressor:
Running under OS/X
Please read this thread for information about running the LotCompressor under OS/X:
your game files. The LotCompressor will NOT
make backups for you.
2) Run LotCompressor.EXE. Click on Start.
3) Select the neighborhood and lot(s), or choose a lot from the LotCatalog. If your neighborhood is not in the standard location, use the Browse button to select the neighborhood. See Numenor's comment for instructions on accessing AnyGameStarter neighborhoods:
4) Verify that you have selected the appropriate lot(s) and click on the Finish button.
5) Keep your backup
until you are completely satisfied with the changes.