Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Picked upload! Sim Game Selector 3.0 Support for "Into the Future" and "Movie Stuff"

by ralphaelninja Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 5:52 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:43 PM by Nysha
119 Comments / replies (Who?) - 22 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Picked Upload! This is a picked upload! It showcases some of the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
A very simple and easy to use Sim Game Selector. Recently I bought all the sim EP's and found myself wanting only to launch a subset of the games. This program provides a very easy to use game select and launch.

To use this program, simply unzip the package to your desktop or to any subfolder in Windows and double click on the SimGameselector.exe program. Click yes to allow the program to make changes to your computer as this program does make changes in order to hide or uncover your installed EP's and SP's to your Sims 3 game launcher.

This program will detect all your Inatalled Expansion and Stuff Packs and will display them in a single iconic page for you to select or de-select a game for launching. You do not have to install the program, nor do you need to run it from a special directory.

Once the Sim Game Selector is launched, simply choose or unchoose the Expansion Packs or Stuff Packs Sim Games that you wish to have installed/not installed (note this game selector does not uninstall your game as it simply hides the game from Sims 3 launcher.) Once you have made your selection, you can either launch Sims 3 from the game selector itself (big launch button) or click the save menu selection and click on the x to exit and start up the Sims 3 game from outside the program.

The games that you selected are shown in the original icon colors and the games that you un-selected will be shown in grey; thus if you only want to play World Adventures, click on the remaining icons until all of icons are grey except for World Adventures; then click on the big Launch button at the bottom.

Optionally you can right click on any of the game icons to launch only that one sim game (along with the base sims 3), such as if you only want to play World Adventures Only, right click the World Adventure icon to bring up a pop up menu and click on launch World Adventure. You can also right click the big launch button too, which allows you to play only the base game without any EPs or SPs.

Uniqueness of this program is that it supports selecting all the latest EPs and SPs. in comparison to many versions that don't. Also because it doesn't create or delete any EA game directories, create a world and all mods are compatible with this sim game selector. This program is a sstand alone companion program to your Sims EP's and SP's making your launch time quicker by not having all the EPs and SPs installed everytime you play.

Update: Latest version 1.01 now includes Restore under the Save menu. This feature guarantees that you will never lose an EP/SP link due to programmer's negligence Also thanks to MaxQBaker and his testing, the latest version supports x86 (32bit) windows 8 as well as x64. Thank you all for your testing and reporting. I am happy to say that the latest version is super clean in programming due to having to making it x86 compatible.

Update: Newest Version 2.2 now supports Island Paradise and contains the arbitrary version number (greater then the last version of 1.01) in help. Otherwise nothing else has changed. Program has been very stable since initial release and if you have any problems such as having to use the task manager to cancel simgameselector, use the save function and exit simgameselect… and just use the sims 3 game launcher instead. Launching your sims game from SimGameSelector was only a convenience and is not required. Once you have saved your selections it remains the default until you re-select your games and save again.

Update: Latest Version 3.0 now supports Movie Stuff and the EP "Into the Future".
Tags: #Game, #Starter, #selection, #launch

Operating System: Windows
Utility Type: Miscellaneous
Plugin Type: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

TS3 Base Game

You need to be a Registered Member to be able to download from MTS. Registration allows you to thank and leave comments for the creators, see your download history, participate in the discussions and much more!

Quick Guide:

1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file. Now you will have either a .package or a .sims3pack file.

For Package files:

1. Cut and paste the file into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. If you do not already have this folder, you should read the full guide to Package files first: Sims 3:Installing Package Fileswiki, so you can make sure your game is fully patched and you have the correct Resource.cfg file.
2. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).

For Sims3Pack files:

1. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
2. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Find the item in the list and tick the box beside it. Then press the Install button below the list.
3. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the content to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
4. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).


Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.


Need more help?

If you need more info, see:
 
Page 1 of 5
119 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 74 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Moderator
staff: moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 6:00 PM
I found this to be extremely useful and easy to use, not to mention it addresses those who start the game by the Launcher and those who bypass it, allows users to keep their default User Files for saved games and cc, and great for testing multiple configurations for creating mods. Great Work!
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 6:16 PM
Will this work with mono on a mac?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 6:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella
Will this work with mono on a mac?


Sorry to hear that your mac has mono….

No unfortunately I don't understand the structure enough on a Mac (even though I have one) to make the necessary changes…

what is mono on a mac? I have a mac but I never have mono… or do I and I don't know it :P
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 6:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by werismyki
I found this to be extremely useful and easy to use, not to mention it addresses those who start the game by the Launcher and those who bypass it, allows users to keep their default User Files for saved games and cc, and great for testing multiple configurations for creating mods. Great Work!


thanks werismyki for the testimonial….
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 7:07 PM
Was excited to try it, bt it doesn't appear to run on Windows 8 Pro x32.
Tried Compatibility settings, but that didn't get me any further than a message that says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

Kudos for the app though, for those who can run it. This was a needed addition to the tool set.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 7:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
Was excited to try it, bt it doesn't appear to run on Windows 8 Pro x32.
Tried Compatibility settings, but that didn't get me any further than a message that says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

Kudos for the app though, for those who can run it. This was a needed addition to the tool set.


sorry to hear MaxQBaker and I'm not excited about jumping on the windows 8 platform just yet…. well we shall see…

One thing to try is giving it administration rights… although you will be the first guinea pig for trying it out on windows 8.

Good luck if you do try...
Test Subject
#8 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 7:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
sorry to hear MaxQBaker and I'm not excited about jumping on the windows 8 platform just yet…. well we shall see…

One thing to try is giving it administration rights… although you will be the first guinea pig for trying it out on windows 8.

Good luck if you do try...


I did try the "Run As Administrator" option with no further luck.
And when I right-click and view security, permissions are set for Full Control for System, Administrators, and my local user (which is also a member of Administators.)

I am guessing it makes some kind of API / hook call that Windows 8 prevents. (You wouldn't be the first utility to run into that, if that is the case.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
I did try the "Run As Administrator" option with no further luck.
And when I right-click and view security, permissions are set for Full Control for System, Administrators, and my local user (which is also a member of Administators.)

I am guessing it makes some kind of API / hook call that Windows 8 prevents. (You wouldn't be the first utility to run into that, if that is the case.)


are you able to get the startup screen at all? or is it just quitting from the get-go?
Test Subject
#10 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
are you able to get the startup screen at all? or is it just quitting from the get-go?

Right after I click the .exe; Windows 8 prevents it from running any further.
Test Subject
#11 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
Right after I click the .exe; Windows 8 prevents it from running any further.


Maybe a dumb question ...
any chance you compiled it on an x64 box, without setting backwards compatibility for x86 ?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
Maybe a dumb question ...
any chance you compiled it on an x64 box, without setting backwards compatibility for x86 ?


thinking about it... anything is possible... I also have a set of restart code at the begining to detect if it is running as admin of which is useless anyways even if you are running under admin in Windows 7, it still needs to restart for some idiotic Windows 7 reason. Windows 7 basically prevents you from running any program...

"are you sure you want to run this program? (Microsoft Windows 7)"

This could be the fundamental change with Windows 8 that prevents a program from shelling out to itself. I am thinking that I could remove this piece of code and let you try it under 8 to see if this is the problem and if it is the problem whether or not the program will work properly as many OS's are trying to sandbox all programs from the system even though you run as admin. I'll post up a download link shortly if you want to give it a try...
Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 8:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
thinking about it... anything is possible... I also have a set of restart code at the begining to detect if it is running as admin of which is useless anyways even if you are running under admin in Windows 7, it still needs to restart for some idiotic Windows 7 reason. Windows 7 basically prevents you from running any program...

"are you sure you want to run this program? (Microsoft Windows 7)"

This could be the fundamental change with Windows 8 that prevents a program from shelling out to itself. I am thinking that I could remove this piece of code and let you try it under 8 to see if this is the problem and if it is the problem whether or not the program will work properly as many OS's are trying to sandbox all programs from the system even though you run as admin. I'll post up a download link shortly if you want to give it a try...



Sure.

What kind of codebase are we working with? C++, C# (or other .NET), etc. (just curious.) I considered running procMon.exe on it to see what was being called when it bailed, but don't have that much time right this second :-)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#14 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 9:31 PM
Fantastic work, very creative!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 9:42 PM Last edited by ralphaelninja : 29th Mar 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
Sure.

What kind of codebase are we working with? C++, C# (or other .NET), etc. (just curious.) I considered running procMon.exe on it to see what was being called when it bailed, but don't have that much time right this second :-)


No .net, nor anything that needs a large framebase It would be interesting what you would see under procMon, but keep it a secret will you :P

here is a link to a newer version that just might work on windows 8. If so, I'll have it replaced here.

updated: I've removed the link to a slightly newer version since it was provened not to be the problem with windows 8. The only difference was the check for administrator rights on both versions.
Test Subject
#16 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
No .net, nor anything that needs a large framebase It would be interesting what you would see under procMon, but keep it a secret will you :P

here is a link to a newer version that just might work on windows 8. If so, I'll have it replaced here.

New Sim Game Select


Just downloaded and tried, but got the same error "This app can't run on your PC."
Didn't even log a single entry in ProcMon; that's how fast Win8 shut it down.

(I had originally asked about the app being compiled under x64, since I run x86. you aren't using .NET, I know in .NET if you use 'AnyCPU' then there are times when it won't work calling an x86 app; so compiling as an x86 app will allow it to run under both x86 and x64 (special conditions, in that prior example, obviously.)

I have an x64 machine, which is also Win8, which I can try later on (but I do not have access to it right now.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
Just downloaded and tried, but got the same error "This app can't run on your PC."
Didn't even log a single entry in ProcMon; that's how fast Win8 shut it down.

(I had originally asked about the app being compiled under x64, since I run x86. you aren't using .NET, I know in .NET if you use 'AnyCPU' then there are times when it won't work calling an x86 app; so compiling as an x86 app will allow it to run under both x86 and x64 (special conditions, in that prior example, obviously.)

I have an x64 machine, which is also Win8, which I can try later on (but I do not have access to it right now.)


Thanks for giving it a try MaxQBaker... that eliminates the first suspect...

it should work under both environments, although I've yet to try it under xp I'll keep thinking...

Thanks again for giving it a shot.
Test Subject
#18 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 10:20 PM
Can I ask?
I'm not very technical and I was wondering..
Say I did this and unselected KP Stuff and ShowTime, is that a basic uninstall then I would have to use a disc to reinstall?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 11:08 PM Last edited by ralphaelninja : 29th Mar 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSimmer8900
Can I ask?
I'm not very technical and I was wondering..
Say I did this and unselected KP Stuff and ShowTime, is that a basic uninstall then I would have to use a disc to reinstall?


no… it just hides it from the Sim Launcher.

Next time you launch the Sim Game Launcher you can toggle KP Stuff and Showtime back on and either save it or launch the Sim Launcher and the games will be back.

No uninstalling
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 12:01 AM Last edited by ralphaelninja : 30th Mar 2013 at 1:56 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
Thanks for giving it a try MaxQBaker... that eliminates the first suspect...

it should work under both environments, although I've yet to try it under xp I'll keep thinking...

Thanks again for giving it a shot.


alright... mea culpa... apparently it was x64 code. It should now run in 86 mode. It should be.... I hope...

updated: link removed due to .... program didn't work either...
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:18 AM Last edited by MaxQBaker : 30th Mar 2013 at 1:25 AM. Reason: adding more info
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphaelninja
alright... mea culpa... apparently it was x64 code. It should now run in 86 mode. It should be.... I hope...

try new sim game selector 32


We 'kind of' have progress. The good news is that message is gone with the latest build. (yay!)
I actually saw the GUI briefly, but it seemed to be acting oddly (had no color to it, and if I clicked on the tiles, it seemed to show an exclude icon overlay without color, but it didn't stay; and I could not launch); then on subsequent tries I couldn't even get that to happen. Will try on my x64 machine in a moment, for comparative reference.

EDIT for x64 comparison:
ok - different experience. I see the GUI; can disable expansion packs and click the launcher.
I am wondering if the difference on the x86 machine is also related to the difference in paths and reg entries for those different architecture (program Files (x86) vs just program files ... and the WOW64 reg hives, etc.)
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:19 AM
Mono is something that you can install on a mac to make windows programs work on a mac using terminal.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella
Mono is something that you can install on a mac to make windows programs work on a mac using terminal.


didn't know that.... although I'm only a two year old Mac'er newly converted, and I did try googling mono mac with mixed results from building Cocoa applications on OSX using Mono, followed by another result that says that Mono has supported MacOS since version 10.3 .....

however to answer your question, the answer would probably be no since the mac version of the sims is configured completely differently then that of the PC although the save game format is probably similar or the same. Unless you are running sims under a windows emulator (which would be bad) this program will not be able to disable EPs or SPs on the Mac side even if you ran this program under Mono.

I would love to support the Mac side since I'm a big Apple fan, but I wouldn't even know where to start on the Mac side.

Sorry to tease you on your Mac Mono... :P
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
We 'kind of' have progress. The good news is that message is gone with the latest build. (yay!)
I actually saw the GUI briefly, but it seemed to be acting oddly (had no color to it, and if I clicked on the tiles, it seemed to show an exclude icon overlay without color, but it didn't stay; and I could not launch); then on subsequent tries I couldn't even get that to happen. Will try on my x64 machine in a moment, for comparative reference.

EDIT for x64 comparison:
ok - different experience. I see the GUI; can disable expansion packs and click the launcher.
I am wondering if the difference on the x86 machine is also related to the difference in paths and reg entries for those different architecture (program Files (x86) vs just program files ... and the WOW64 reg hives, etc.)


I have the gut feeling that I might be running into a buffer overrun problem in 32 bits (used for extracting the resources)... I am always an extremist when I program. like my Simbuilds, I tend to overextend the language that I write in and this program is no exception. sooo.... if I used the regular functions I might be able to be compatible in 32 bits too I'll check into it.... meanwhile thank you for being the guinea pig
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQBaker
We 'kind of' have progress. The good news is that message is gone with the latest build. (yay!)
I actually saw the GUI briefly, but it seemed to be acting oddly (had no color to it, and if I clicked on the tiles, it seemed to show an exclude icon overlay without color, but it didn't stay; and I could not launch); then on subsequent tries I couldn't even get that to happen. Will try on my x64 machine in a moment, for comparative reference.

EDIT for x64 comparison:
ok - different experience. I see the GUI; can disable expansion packs and click the launcher.
I am wondering if the difference on the x86 machine is also related to the difference in paths and reg entries for those different architecture (program Files (x86) vs just program files ... and the WOW64 reg hives, etc.)


ok... lets try this last version (maybe last) I've reduced the 10MB buffer that was needlessly used on the other version to a 1mb buffer which might be the reason for the weirdness...

The Last Sim Selector Program in 32 bit
Page 1 of 5
ralphaelninja also recommends you check the following:

This program is self-contained and requires no additional install instructions. Just unzip on your desktop or even in your download directory and double click on SimGameSelector.exe and it will automatically run. Click yes to allow it to make changes to your computer as it needs to hide or unhide games from Sims 3 Launcher