PDA

View Full Version : For people who do rotations how do you calculate uni time?

Gcgb53191
20th Feb 2012, 2:39 PM
Right now I'm doing 3 sim days=2 years at uni. I'm thinking about switching to just 3 days=the entire time at uni. Seems like its too short though. I'm trying to calculate how old their parents will be when they get out and their siblings and etc. It doesn't seem like it'll keep them close in age :s But then again my sims had their children later then they usually have this time I played.

Just as curious as to what you guys do! & please add if you have any age duration mods that change your the one in the game too. :) I'm really looking into making the adult life longer so my sims can meet their grandchildren :P

katya_stevens
20th Feb 2012, 3:24 PM
I normally calculate my university time as one sim day = one year of university, which makes the whole of their university degree last for four sim days (in actuallity, twelve days at three days a year).

I use an edited age duration mod offered by Simlogical (http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Aging.htm) (age group tweak). 2 days for babies, 3 for toddlers, 8 for children (unchanged), 7 for teens, 35 for adults, and 15-25 for elders makes it so that one sim day is the equivelant of one real year. I've found that cutting days from teens and adding them to adults helps get them to university quicker, and on to the marriage and baby-making I'm a bit too fond of (although at the moment I'm waiting about a week in-game once my sims hit adult before they have children -- I've had a few teen and young adult accidental pregnancies thanks to ACR and InTeen, so I've had some pretty young grandparents in my game).

DasRabennest
20th Feb 2012, 3:44 PM
One complete uni year equals one Sim-day in my rotation. I don't have any aging mods anymore...but some of my older sims are still affected by the one I've recently taken out, so they'll die sooner than the unaffected ones.

M.M.A.A.
20th Feb 2012, 3:46 PM
For me, each base neighborhhood rotation consists of two Sim-days, so in Uni, 48 hours there = 2 Sim-days (dah!).

AlexandraSpears
20th Feb 2012, 3:53 PM
While I have Sims at college, the Sims in the main neighborhood do not age, because for me, University is a "pocket" of time.

When your teen is ready to age to adult, you have two options--age them to adult or send them to college. What if you have a pair of twins and you send one and not the other? That's how I look at it.

When my Sims graduate from college, they return to the neighborhood the same time they left. If they age up on a Friday night, they are back before Saturday 6 pm.

Peni Griffin
20th Feb 2012, 3:55 PM
I find it really helps to let go of the idea that sim ages and lifestages can be correlated closely with human ones at all. Those three days of pregnancy throw off all the other stages.

My rotations are all one day, but I do three rotations at Sim State for every one in Downtown and Drama Acres. That's about my play comfort: I don't want to spend more time than that away from my main hood, but I do like taking advantage of the expanded university calendar and it gives me a comfortable overlap among age cohorts. Sharla Ottomas was two sim days younger than Luis Iana, so he was a junior when she was a freshman. They had plenty of time to get together, and she was still two sim days younger when she graduated. It does mean that the sister who was a toddler when Pigeon Hawkins left for University was a teen by the time she returned, but that's where accepting that sim lives are different comes in.

Of course I then throw things off by using the elixir to give people extended adult spans to deal with the fact that all my core adults started with teen children who went straight to University, but that's all right as along as I remember rough relative ages and which age cohort people belong to. And I certainly don't try to make everyone have the exact same number of days as adults - that doesn't happen in real life either. Some of us show our ages faster than others.

So my advice is to let go of the attempt to synch sim ages with real ages and concentrate on your play comfort zone. How long does it take you to burn out on playing a single lot? A neighborhood? How long does it take you to lose track of what's going on in Neighborhood A while you're playing Subhood B? Adjust your play calendars to switch shortly before the burn-out point, and figure out how best to spread yourself around.

One thing I've thought of that I have decided to experiment with in my (very rare) playings of Strangetown, where I dumped all the student bin students into dorms, and moved in all the family bin sims who were either Strangetown-specific or had children, is to do house 1 in the hood followed by House 1 at La Fiesta Tech, House 2 in the hood and House 2 at La Fiesta Tech, etc. There's more households in the neighborhood than at University, so University time should still be accelerated, but at an entirely different (and variable) rate, and the rotations won't be aligned like they are at Drama Acres/Sim State. Maybe it'd work, maybe it wouldn't, but the only way to find out is to try.

punkrockgoth1988
20th Feb 2012, 4:15 PM
I haven't gotten any mods to reduce/extend timing on anything but I do plan to. So I don't really do any calculating yet...

I play uni students on the same 3 day rotation as the rest of the hood.

Deryn
20th Feb 2012, 5:27 PM
I don't try to think of Sim ages in terms of Human ages so what i usually do is play one rotation in my main hood/sub-hood/Downtown playing each lot for one Sm week, and sending all eligible teens from that hood to College. I then play one two term college rotation which advances all the students in college, before adding all the new students into the college, so that my universities never become empty of students, and like in real life there are students in the Univerity at different points in their educational career mingling together.

Once I do the whole college rotation I move on to the next sub-hood in my neighborhood and repeat the process above with the exception of moving any recent graduates back into the hood at the end of the rotation, before returning to Uni to do another two terms. Of course if there's ever a student deficit in Uni, I will then use the move Sims to uni to move all available teen townies to university, which keeps my neighborhood from suffering from too-many-pretty-Sim syndrome since I don't control what my townies look like.

ForeverCamp
20th Feb 2012, 5:35 PM
I just downloaded a mod that adjusts each semester to last for 1 sim-day, which is as close to on-par as I'm going to get with my 7-day cycle in the course of my rotation. I just think about the unbalanced ages as lifespans: for example, David and Thomas went to university, while the rest of their sisters (one as triplet, three younger) did not. The triplet sister is now dead of old age, and one younger sister is already far into her elder years, while David and Thomas aren't even elder age yet. I just think of it as David and Thomas have naturally-longer lifespans, and they'll likely outlive all of their sisters at this rate.

smellincoffee
21st Feb 2012, 1:47 AM
I count the four years of uni as one season back home. That said, I have a devil of a time trying to keep the age differences between sims intact, because I like having new sims come into the university every other year or so, to keep my Greek houses populated. My solution is to play all the houses forward a rotation, but then work teens into the university in a staggered way.

hweldon81
21st Feb 2012, 5:39 AM
One day in the main hood equals one semester at Uni. My semesters are only 36 hours long each though, because otherwise I get bored. When they graduate they are aged 9 days with the Sim Blender (8 semesters plus the party semester). This means a non-uni bound twin should still be the same age.

The issue comes with babies born in university because they are getting 36 hours of aging for every 24 hours in the main hood. I can fix this when the family moves off campus, or I can just pretend in my storyline that the child was born earlier in the University sequence (semester 5 rather than 7, say) than they actually were.

Gcgb53191
21st Feb 2012, 6:23 AM
I once had a baby on a uni lot and hse was a child before they left lol!

Anywho I think Ill just keep doing what Im doing :)

Im such a control freak so I ALWAYS have to know what equals what but you guys are right I cant compare their ages to our ages :D

Vimpse
21st Feb 2012, 10:36 AM
I tried for the longest time to perfect the amount of time they spend in uni to correspond with the rotation of their families left at home, but in the end I just gave up... now I finish their entire university career in one go, then when they move back home I resume rotating, as if they turned from teenager to adult as they would without uni. Works fine for me.

aUserName
21st Feb 2012, 1:06 PM
I count uni as 1 rotation, which is one season (five days.) Sims who don’t go to uni get an extra 5 days added to their adult life stage so everyone remains the same age. I add the extra days as soon as the sim grows up. Since I play multiple college students on the same lot, it can be a little confusing to remember which day each sim has left for college on. So, when a sim goes to college, I make a note in their bio of the day they will be coming back into the main hood.

I figure that a sim day roughly equates a year, so five days equals about five years for college, which is close enough to reality.

I find it really helps to let go of the idea that sim ages and lifestages can be correlated closely with human ones at all. Those three days of pregnancy throw off all the other stages.
Their infant to teen years are unrealistic too. Their life span kind of evens out in the end though.

dieKristina
21st Feb 2012, 2:07 PM
For me one uni semester = one simday in the main ´hood, and the time from when a sim starts uni until he/she graduates = 8 simdays in the main ´hood. Since one uni semester takes three sim days, it obviously takes me more time to complete a uni household. But I´m okay with that, since I really like the uni years. I send my teens to college when they have 8 days left as teens and when they graduate it has gone 8 days in the main ´hood. That way the aging doesn´t become messed up.

starryeyedSim
21st Feb 2012, 4:19 PM
If and when I do rotate I play the Uni Sim for one semester which in my mind equals one Sim week back home. Considering real semesters are divded into only two in college.

I feel when I return to the main hood I should at least play that family left behind for one Sim week which may cause some children at home to age up since they age in 7 days making it more realistic.

That way by the time one Sim is in either in their last semester of sophmore year or first in junior year the child left at home may now be able to enter college behind their brother or sister. Which makes works for me. One as a Sophmore or early Junior and one just beginning college.

If I continue to do this then the adults at home are also aging when I play them and a little older. Note: I don't normally send teens to college until they are 5 days or less of aging up to adult. Unless they just get on my last nerve and I send them off and don't play them for a long time and no longer rotate because I didn't like that teen for whatever reason. :report:

starryeyedSim
21st Feb 2012, 4:33 PM
Add: also when that older Sim graduates, I take them back home and play them one Sim week maybe longer. I try not to have adult parents the same age as the first to return, they should be older. If I contiuded with my idea of rotation then this works out great considering they probably had these kids within the first two weeks or less of their own Adulthood when first starting the family. They would only be much older/elderly if they started their family late in life.

lil_princess_of_evil
22nd Feb 2012, 2:26 AM
I play for 4 days per sim household in my regular hoods. Once a teenager reaches 8 days until adulthood I give them the option to go to 4 year college. They can choose to go or stay with their parents. If they choose to stay, I'll give them an option when they have 4 days left to go to "2 year college" (basically I drop them out after their 2nd year). If they choose to stay, they live out the rest of their teen days. In the college, I play 2 years (freshmen/sophomore, then junior/senior in the next play through). This way they stay in sync with the their peers who decide not to go to college.

Sunbee
22nd Feb 2012, 4:04 PM
I try to do one year in uni equals one day in the hood--since playing uni is not my favorite, I have a hack that shortens each semester to two days. Teens can then feed in when is appropriate--leave home on day three, you start uni after three years of play in the uni hood, and ages stay somewhat synced, for a certain value of sync.

Clashfan
22nd Feb 2012, 4:28 PM
I tend to worry more about keeping all the Sims I have at Uni in synch. When I rotate through my Uni I play one semester each house. What usually screws me up is one of my Sims hooking up with a dormie and then if I decide to move them in together. The dormie is only a freshman and my playable would usually be a Jr or Sr by that point sort of frustrating as they probably have been dating awhile.

I handle it one of two ways; either I fast forward them through their learning process using TJ's college lot adjuster to set their grade and exam time so they take the exam and move on, or I use the adjuster and just set them to the semester I want them to be in. The advantage of the first is they will have the memories from each semester and of course the money they might earn.

Depending on how many students I might have at Uni though I might also elect to leave them as a dormie and once my Sim moves back to the neighborhood just have them move in. Although then you get a Sim with no memories of all their dates, very few skill points if any and almost no money to speak of.

As for the synching with the main hood as long as I have family members graduating in the proper order I'm OK with it. I play a 3 day rotation per household and it all seems to work for me although I do try to keep Sims aging up in some sort of synch as well. For example one of my founding families the original Sims had 3 sons all of whom married and had families. Once I've decided it's time for them to become elders (no more green juice for you!) then I make sure they do so in their birth order.

Really it's what ever works for you, as long as I can justify it within my own story line in my head then I'm usually Ok with it.

I do wish their was an option two not go to Uni but also have that YA lifespan, this is not the same as having YA's live in the main hood.

Simsica
22nd Feb 2012, 4:31 PM
This issue was the main reason I installed Squinge's mod for YA in main hood. I don't deal well with pockets of time or the complicated math that is required to translate Sim days into human years or what not. I didn't deal well with the double time Sims get when they visit com lots so you can only imagine what this time trouble meant for me, because this is a much more serious case of temporal disorder.

Without Squinge's mod though - had it never been created - I'd most probably freeze any adult's aging after they grew up from teen for the exact number of days it takes their counterparts in Uni sub-hood to get their diplomas. Again, my approach would be to seal any disorderly gaps in time-continuum by any means necessary, even if it took me a special sheet for keeping track of aging of each and every Sim that remained in my main hood.
(What can I say? Just like Captain Janeway's, temporal mechanics makes my head spin... and not in a good way either.)

AlexandraSpears
22nd Feb 2012, 7:28 PM
If I have Sims I want to marry off that are two Sim days apart, I just start the older Sim out, and when they're a sophomore or junior, have the other Sim start college. Or if I feel like it I start them at the same time...say the guy ages up Wednesday evening, the girl Friday evening, after they graduate, send the guy to his parents' house, on Friday evening move the girl in, and get them married.

For me it's a detour. Besides, my pattern is raise the kids, once I get teens ready to transition, play university for the entire time, then back to the main 'hood once they graduate.

Lady L.
22nd Feb 2012, 10:28 PM
I also play 2 uni years=3 days in the main 'hood, but if a sim goes to university, I age them up six days. (I don't remember exactly which aging mod I have in, but my adults get 42 days.) After all, we don't get extra days added onto our life for going to university!

Peni Griffin
22nd Feb 2012, 11:50 PM
Actually, we do. Better-educated people live longer (on a statistical basis; obviously this varies with individuals), for various reasons.

Simsica
23rd Feb 2012, 6:03 AM
Better educated people usually earn more money. And this isn't a *fun* fact. It isn't even remotely funny that some people get to live longer because of that.

treegirl17
23rd Feb 2012, 10:13 AM
I haven't played Uni in a long time but if I am not mistaken, its 3 days each semester x 8 semester! So 24 days. So I play maybe 3 weeks and 4 days in the regular neighborhood.

ForeverCamp
23rd Feb 2012, 3:07 PM
Better educated people usually earn more money. And this isn't a *fun* fact. It isn't even remotely funny that some people get to live longer because of that.

We're not saying that people who don't have higher degrees of education are going to die younger, period. There's a whole variety of factors at play there (not the least of which is the fact that the majority of higher-educated individuals have better living conditions than, say, a high school dropout. Quality of life is a bigger factor.

Besides, the stats are probably that university adds 1.78 years onto your life or something stupid like that. :P That's not a big enough difference to get all worked up over.

AlexandraSpears
23rd Feb 2012, 7:24 PM
I have to add that my dad had a 6th-grade education, yet made a lot of money as a meatcutter in the late 60s until he became disabled. My mom had a college education...and she's unemployed. Her last job was at an answering service. My husband and I--high school diplomas, yet we're doing all right. We're not rich but we're not on Skid Row.

Seems that nowadays education is so dumbed down that employers are raising the standards. You might have been able to have been hired with only a high school diploma 20 years ago; now they want degrees.

Gcgb53191
23rd Feb 2012, 7:33 PM
Even with degrees they want experience for entry level jobs!!

My boyfriend graduated in December with an economics degree and they all ask for experience for entry level jobs. Even the crappy jobs wont hire him :/

NatteryakToad
28th Feb 2012, 5:34 PM
I have an ageing mod (sorry I forget who made it) which makes toddlers 5 days, children and teens 14 days each and adults 45 days. I also have a mod that makes I Uni semester = 1 day. So I play 1 day = six months, so toddlers are aged 1 1/2 to 4, children are 4-11, teens are 11-18. I play 1 day rotations and one day in each uni household after playing one day in each household in the main hood, so sims are at Uni for the 8 days, 4 years. For sims who don't go to college, after 8 days of adulthood I use sim blender to reset them back to the first day of adulthood so that if I had twins and one went to uni but one didn't they'd still age to elder at the same time.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense; it's hard to explain.

maxon
28th Feb 2012, 10:08 PM
I play two semesters per one day in the main hood but I also have a mod that alters the age-lengths (and also one that alters the semester lengths) so it's not perhaps a good match for anyone else. I find the sims missing from the main hood for four days works out fairly well for me in keeping age cohorts in line (with the ones who didn't go to university).

M.M.A.A.
23rd May 2012, 5:24 PM
I normally calculate my university time as one sim day = one year of university, which makes the whole of their university degree last for four sim days (in actuallity, twelve days at three days a year).

I was actually thinking about that seeing that my sims are aging pretty slowly in Uni and their parents are aging too, but I'm afraid that they won't live to see their grandchildren, all elders! :S

Gcgb53191
23rd May 2012, 5:33 PM
I just do three days equals to two years in university. :)

Three days is how long my rotations are and Ive also did a custom age mod that someone put on here so my elders should be living a little longer and be able to at least meet one of their granchildren.

Orilon
23rd May 2012, 5:33 PM
It depends. Since I use TwoJeff's College Adjuster to send the college student to their finals the minute they they have an A or A+, its not a set 3 days for each semester. I do more with calculations on age of the college student verses the age of his/her siblings.

In Sims 2, the Sims that go to college start off higher up on the career ladder than the one's that don't go to college.

In real life my Master's Degree is getting in my way of getting a job "you have a Master's Degree, why are you applying here?" My Master's Degree is in Counseling, but the Counseling field took a huge hit with the American Recession, and most of the time clients have to choose between food and rent, and counseling isn't even close to the top of their list. The private agencies are struggling and laying off Counselors, and the state funded agencies took a hit when the State reduced funding to those agencies. I've been applying for jobs in other areas, but the Master's Degree in Counseling gets in the way most of the time.

Helmasaur
23rd May 2012, 8:23 PM
I use two-day rotations, so I don't really need to calculate Uni time.

I also use Cyjon's semester changes, so one rotation is one year at University.

Richcelt
24th May 2012, 4:41 AM
As I send ALL of my teens to college, I don't try to match up college teens vs non-college teens. I base most of my days of rotation on the childrens' aging, however, which averages out to about four sim days in the neighborhood. I'll play a semester of uni per rotation, but keep teens out of college long enough for their older siblings to have completed at least one year (two semesters = two rotations) of uni. So far it has worked pretty well.

beafish123
26th May 2012, 4:09 PM
I play with one day rotation cycles in my main hood but two semester rotations in my college hood. I have a mod that make one semester 24 hours. This works pretty well for me, except if I have families in university with children. my solution is to have the parents go to a community lot in the university hood for the day while leaving the kid(s) at home with a nanny. They return home when they have 5 hours until the final. If it is too close to 6 for my liking I use the sethour cheat to insure the child(ren) only age once per University rotation. I could have just changed everyone to a two day rotation, but some families are boring and I can only manage one day with them.

EDIT: As for teens I send all of my teens to college. However in an old neighbor hood I just didn't let sims go to college until they were 4 days from adult. (So they were teens the 4 rotations their classmates where in college)

iCad
26th May 2012, 11:15 PM
I play in week-long rotations, generally, and I like to keep ages in sync as much as possible. However, in most of my families, not all kids in a household go to college, so keeping the ages of siblings who do go to college more or less in sync with those who don't can be a problem. What works best for me is to send college-bound teens to college when they are five days into teenhood and then play uni households for two college years per 7-day rotation and to hack Uni so that each semester is two rather than three days long. So in rotation one, the uni household gets played for four semesters -- which is 8 days, not seven, but it's the best I can do. Then in the next rotation they finish out their college career. This keeps college kids more or less in age-sync with their non-college siblings, although sometimes I have to add or subtract a day or two from some of them.

In big neighborhoods with lots of households, I play in four-day rotations so that I can get through them faster. I picked four days specifically because that's the length of a college year in my game. :lol: Thus, it makes age-syncing easier.

lauratje86
28th May 2012, 9:07 AM
I'm just in the process of restarting a mini-Megahood (Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville & Bluewater Village, but with all the households living in Pleasantview) so I've been thinking about how to do university rotations this time around. In the main 'hood I play one day rotations (because I have a lousy attention span! :-D)

I decided that I would send teens to university when they have 3 days to go before becoming adults. I will then play each semester at university as being equivalent to one day in the main 'hood. The time they have to party after their final final exam will also be equivalent to one day in the main 'hood. This means that they will be away for 9 days main-'hood time. If I had twins, and one went to university and one didn't, the one who didn't would have been an adult for 6 days when the one who did returned to the main 'hood, so I add six days onto returning university students' ages when they get back to the main 'hood. I use Simblender to do this.

I have aged a few sims down to teen and sent them off to university then used the College Adjuster to change them to the correct semester. So Kent Capp, Chester Gieke, Jason Larson and Jodie Larson are all just starting their 4th semester (as that matches up with 29 days to elder according to my rotation system) and Ajay Loner is just starting his final semester (as that matches up with 25 days to elder according to my rotation system). Tank Grunt will be starting university on a military scholarship in one day's time.

My rotation system basically means that some teen/adult ages are equivalent to young adult "ages", as measured in semesters:

Teen - 3 days 'til adult = just starting university (first semester)
Teen - 2 days 'til adult = second semester
Teen - 1 day 'til adult = third semester
Just Adult (29 days 'til elder) = fourth semester
Adult - 28 days 'til elder = fifth semester
Adult - 27 days 'til elder = sixth semester
Adult - 26 days 'til elder = seventh semester
Adult - 25 days 'til elder = eighth semester
Adult - 24 days 'til elder = free time after final exam (graduation
Adult - 23 days 'til elder = back to main 'hood, age returning graduates up by 6 days = 23 days 'til elder

This does mean that I'll need to be careful if I have sims drop out - I can only add days to their age in factors of 3, so they can only drop out after the 3rd and 6th semesters. If they drop out after the third they'll be just adults when they return to the main 'hood, if they drop out after the sixth I'll add three days to their age so they'll be 26 days from elder. I suppose that if they get kicked out at a different point in time I can just keep them in the sim bin until the main 'hood reaches a point where the number of days I'd have to add to their age to synchronise them is a factor of 3. Or stick them on a tiny lot with just a phone and not play them, so that they can still be called by their family and friends....

I haven't actually tried this out yet, so I'll have to wait and see if it actually works! I use Inteen, so sims can have babies in university, so I'll have to figure out how to do baby/toddler ages as well, as otherwise they'll be aging 3 days for every day in the main 'hood.... Any suggestions about that would be appreciated! :-) I will pause pregnancies so that sims are pregnant for 3 semesters (9 days), as that matches up with 3 days in the main 'hood, so probably most babies will be born after their childbearing parent has graduated anyway (I would say mother, but it could be their father if it's a half-alien baby).

joandsarah77
30th May 2012, 2:27 PM
I try and keep to a simple system as I have tried more complicated methods and just mess them up. I wanted something that made sense to me that I could remember without too much hassle.
So now I play all my rotations by the season, and use the simwardrobe season adjuster if I move anybody, I also have a day adjuster to keep the correct day at each house regardless of moving. I have a double aging mod so toddlers are 8 days (1-5), children are 16 (5-12) and if I allowed it teens could have 30, but that messes up my age calculations of one day = 6 months and is just way too long for my liking. So teens get to be teens for 10 days (12-17 years old) I don't have babies in uni as I figure that is just too complicated. I also have hacks so YA can do uni from home or just live out their YA lives at home or independently and do no uni work, aging them with the blender when it is time for them to be adults. Uni is 24 days (which equals 12 years!) which is really way too long compared to the other ages. In my rotation hood I try and make it two days per semester (16 days) and even that equals 8 years. (18 to 26 years) I may yet let YA in the main hood have babies if they want them. In my mind sim pregnancy lasts 18 months... poor them. I don't see any other way of reconciling the three days with my 1 day = 6 months without doing my head in, so 18 months it is. They are sims not people so it makes sense to me in a warped kind of way. Babies I age at two days as that = 1 year.

M.M.A.A.
8th Jun 2012, 4:01 PM
1 Sim day is actually a year right?

Gcgb53191
8th Jun 2012, 4:40 PM
I believe so unless you have any other aging mods that totally change how long each stage lasts and therefore might be calculated a bit differently.

lauratje86
8th Jun 2012, 4:47 PM
I don't really think that a sim day corresponds to a year. I guess they roughly do, but then stuff like pregnancy lasting 3 days and sims being YA's for 24 days kind of ruins it! And seasons being 5 days long. Also, sims are teens for 15 (?) days and only adults for 29.... I changed the ages in my game so that they correspond more closely with human years, but I still have pregnancy lasting 3 days. If I'm writing about sims I measure the passing of time in yeardays - their lifespan is measured in yeardays and so is the general passing of time in the 'hood. That makes it clear (to me, and to anyone who reads) that one sim day is not equivalent to one human year in my game... :-)

Peni Griffin
8th Jun 2012, 5:18 PM
Sim days are variable even in terms of a sim lifespan. The time clock runs differently on vacation lots and on University lots, for example. I take eachday as a composite of a lot of days and play as I'm comfortable. What's the point of stressing about it?

M.M.A.A.
8th Jun 2012, 5:35 PM
I think I have the ultimate solution (sort-off, for myself):

- 1 sim day is a sim year.
- if a sim is pregnant, let aging be off, since sims should be pregnant for less than a year, so they shouldnt grow up.
- in uni, a year there is a year in the base hood.

Tzigone
27th Jun 2012, 8:04 PM
Right now I do one semester in Uni per each sim day that passes. Thinking about switching to two semesters per main neighborhood day.

mirjamsim2love
27th Jun 2012, 10:17 PM
I think I have the ultimate solution (sort-off, for myself):

- 1 sim day is a sim year.
- if a sim is pregnant, let aging be off, since sims should be pregnant for less than a year, so they shouldnt grow up.
- in uni, a year there is a year in the base hood.
I kind of do it like this, yes.
I think that is the easiest and simplest way.
And besides that think of what approaches most realistic life.
What I don't do is stressing about it. :rofl:

maxon
28th Jun 2012, 12:03 AM
I changed the way I do uni. I got that hack that halves the time spent there and there is only one semester per year. Having played with it for a while, I'm finding I like it better. Not particularly because it shortens the time but because I'm finding that for a sim to do well, even a born in game sim, they have to work really hard to get an A (just like I did, dammit) and, thus, I am getting a lot more sims getting lower grades which I feel is far more realistic. This is pleasing me. Anyway, I'm now playing one semester per day in the main hood and there are only four semesters to do which means uni sims only take time out for four days which I'm finding fits quite well with hood rotation and progression.

shoo_flee
28th Jun 2012, 12:30 AM
I've only just started playing a rotation system for the first time so it's a learning curve for me.

At the moment i play 2 sims days in each household in the main hood then once i've finished a rotation i go to the uni hood and play each household for a sim 'year' of uni, then back to the main hood. It seems to be working pretty well at the moment but no one has graduated yet so we shall see how it goes in the future, may have to change it.

joandsarah77
28th Jun 2012, 1:07 AM
I got that hack that halves the time spent there and there is only one semester per year.

Which hack would that be? I have the college adjuster but with that I have to remember to keep setting hours and I get it messed up. A hack that set the hours for every one the whole time would be great. Uni time compared to hood time even with double aging is doing my head in.

maxon
28th Jun 2012, 12:30 PM
It's a Cyjon mod joandsarah, so will presumably be at his site. It's called 'Semester Changes' - this is extracted from the read me:

"This mod modifies the university system to make it more bearable and closer to being on the same schedule as the rest of the world.

Each academic unit is now a year instead of a semester. Each year is two game days long so the entire university experience covers 8 days. Finals are given at 9 am every other day.
Vampire students take their finals at 4 am instead.

In order to simulate year-long periods, students actually skip the odd-numbered semesters (1, 3, 5, 7) and attend only the even numbered ones (2, 4, 6, 8)."

So here somewhere:
http://drupal.cyjon.net/
I *might* change it to make each unit three days long so that would give me a bit more time (for fighting and woohooing) - two days is pretty short. If I can find the setting.

joandsarah77
28th Jun 2012, 1:52 PM
Thanks Maxon. :) Three days sounds good too.

Tullulabell
9th Jul 2012, 5:17 PM
I haven't had a chance to try it since my hood doesn't have the luxury of a college yet, but when I do I plan on having each 24 hours of uni= 1 sim day. I cant remember how many days that would be in uni time ( isn't each semester 72 hours? so about 24 days?) Seems like a lot but my adults have VERY long lifespans so 24 days is nothing for them. Their lifespans are so long because if they want to move up in their career they will need to do more rounds of 'college'. Also, I tend to play large households so in each rotation a sim will maybe only fulfill 2 or 3 wants. My hood is still very new (3rd generation just started being born) so I may change the length of adult ages later but for now it works (it also helps my family sims actually achieve their want 10 children and other large family related LTWs, but a killer for 'reach golden anniversary' LTW)