PDA

View Full Version : Amazon.com AND Steam downloads super cheap right now

kewpie
7th Mar 2012, 4:41 PM
I check amazon.com and wait for the EPs to go down before I buy them. I don't know if it's because SHT just came out, but all the older EPs and SPs are much cheaper than usual. I just got Generations for 13.54 (usually 29.99 to download and 39.99 to get the disc there)

Showtime and Delux are the regular price.

Here are the prices I see

TS3 WA AMB LN - 10.13
GEN - 13.54
PETS - 19.99

Most Stuff packs are just a little over 6 bucks right now too.

Master suite is 14.99
Barnacle bay is 9.99

The prices are slightly more expensive on a few MAC downloads but only by a few bucks. Still heck-a cheap
--
I watch the prices every week or so and this is the best deal I've seen on Amazon since before Christmas. So this is a good time to get what you don't have.

Edited to put the notice up for Steam. I don't do steam so look those up yourself!

EmotedLlama
7th Mar 2012, 4:48 PM
The same sale's going on on Steam, too.

wolfsbayne
7th Mar 2012, 4:53 PM
great, it works in the UK for Steam, I might actually buy something!

Edit - ok, no barnacle bay or hidden springs, guess I might not get anything after all

Second edit - cannot buy from steam as my base game is retail.

jeez!

kewpie
7th Mar 2012, 5:52 PM
Edited to add: There is no WA or AMB download for MAC available at all. I already have AMB, but I'm bummed about WA. Ahh well, it will go on sale at some point. And I'll be waiting.

IMakeBoys
7th Mar 2012, 6:21 PM
Thanks for sharing! Downloaded Master Suite and Town Life.

sierrakusterbeck
7th Mar 2012, 6:33 PM
Great timing, I've been wanting to get Ambitions and Late Night for a long time and I've had my money saved for a while just in case a sale or something came up c:

kristie91
7th Mar 2012, 7:16 PM
I'm thinking about buying some of the sims 3 expansion on steam. I have a few questions.
Can you have custom content with a steam version of the Sims 3?
Can you have a retail version of an expansion pack when you have the base game with steam?
Can you register on the sims 3 site if you get the base game on steam?

sierrakusterbeck
7th Mar 2012, 9:37 PM
Do the EPs work with a base game that's been bought from Best Buy, or does the bg have to be bought online from steam? It won't let me buy the EPs cause "you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own".

wolfsbayne
7th Mar 2012, 9:50 PM
You have to have all downloads or all retail versions is what ive understood from searching forums today. It wouldnt let me download the stuff packs and I read on the sims 3 steam forum that if you have a retail version base game, downloads aren't compatible. Also, I believe you can't mix and match downloads from origin with downloads from steam. So I think you have to buy the download version from steam before it lets you get anything else.

sierrakusterbeck
7th Mar 2012, 10:29 PM
You have to have all downloads or all retail versions is what ive understood from searching forums today. It wouldnt let me download the stuff packs and I read on the sims 3 steam forum that if you have a retail version base game, downloads aren't compatible. Also, I believe you can't mix and match downloads from origin with downloads from steam. So I think you have to buy the download version from steam before it lets you get anything else.
And does the same thing apply for Amazon downloads? Cause I may have just bought an EP from amazon even though my base game is retail :faceslap:

wolfsbayne
7th Mar 2012, 10:35 PM
I dont know the answer to that im afraid. We dont have amazon game downloads here in the UK yet so it's not something ive come across, it wouldn't let me buy from amazon.com earlier or I might have done the same thing. It probably isn't too late to cancel the order.

sierrakusterbeck
7th Mar 2012, 10:37 PM
I dont know the answer to that im afraid. We dont have amazon game downloads here in the UK yet so it's not something ive come across, it wouldn't let me buy from amazon.com earlier or I might have done the same thing. It probably isn't too late to cancel the order.
Op, well there's only about 15 more minutes left in my download so I guess I'll know the answer then. Hopefully if it doesn't work I can at least try to get my money back.

wolfsbayne
7th Mar 2012, 10:39 PM
Amazon are usually quite good at things like that. hope it works for you though.

kewpie
7th Mar 2012, 11:10 PM
I have base game and EP2 on disc. Now I have ep 3-5 and two SP on Amazon dowload. And they work totally fine together.

AdamantEve
7th Mar 2012, 11:16 PM
The Amazon versions are the same as EA's digital download versions. The Steam versions each have their own version number (different patch versions) because of how Steam distributes content. So if you want to use steam, you have to have all steam copies. If you want to use Amazon, you can use them with any retail games, except steam ones.

The Steam versions can use CC, but some things (like core mods and some Nraas mods) need a specially made version. Stuff that detects the game running and junk, like ErrorTrap. :)

bl00raspbery
7th Mar 2012, 11:53 PM
Oh gosh, thank you! Those are wonderful!

bassoon_crazy
8th Mar 2012, 12:17 AM
That's how much Generations should have cost from day one.

I don't have any money for the two EP's I would be interested in ordering though (WA and AMB), and I don't know if they'd work with my original copy anyway.

mithrak_nl
8th Mar 2012, 12:18 AM
Oh thanks for the tip. I might get the stuff packs I still miss.

mithrak_nl
8th Mar 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm thinking about buying some of the sims 3 expansion on steam. I have a few questions.
Can you have custom content with a steam version of the Sims 3?

I expect that you can install custom content. But I know that some mods need a steam version. I noticed that when checking for updated mods on Twallan's website. Some installation paths are probably different too. Something to check when using installation guides.

sierrakusterbeck
8th Mar 2012, 3:42 AM
EPs from steam don't work with retail copies of the base game but Amazon EPs work perfectly fine with retail copies c:

kristie91
8th Mar 2012, 4:00 AM
So then for example awesome mod wouldn't work?
But things like custom furniture, hair, makeup, and vehicles will work?
Do you get a key to register at the official forums with steam?
I saw a few houses there I like.

sierrakusterbeck
8th Mar 2012, 5:10 AM
So then for example awesome mod wouldn't work?
But things like custom furniture, hair, makeup, and vehicles will work?
Do you get a key to register at the official forums with steam?
I saw a few houses there I like.
I have no idea about awesome mod or anything by twallan cause I don't use his hacks, but CC works, and yes if you buy from amazon and you go to your Software Library it gives you the code so you can register it.

rian90
8th Mar 2012, 7:19 AM
Thank you! I just purchased Master Suite and am going to get a copy of Showtime for my daughters so we can Simport to each other. :) I am happy to avoid using Origin! I had no idea Amazon had the sims games as downloads and I have been a Prime member for many years!

kewpie
8th Mar 2012, 11:44 PM
The MAC EPs and most of the SPs are no longer on sale on Amazon. The PC EPs and SPs seem to still be on sale.

Misanthrope
8th Mar 2012, 11:55 PM
What the heck? I feel super ripped-off for having paid full-price for these :wtf: