Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Modding Discussion (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clickable area - Jointed objects (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=251565)

solfal 6th Oct 2007 12:17 PM

Clickable area - Jointed objects

I have been struggeling for the last couple of days getting the clickable area to fit my new mesh in a jointed object. I know I got it to work before so I can´t understand what is wrong.

I have used the Miklshape 3DSCII importer exporter but the clickable area is still at the place where the original object is.

I have tried to use the unimesh importer/exporter but it is giving me a "no quaternion values stored" error when trying to export. I have used it before without errors, so I can´t understand why it suddenly doesn´t work.

I have reinstalled SimPe but nothing changed

marvine 6th Oct 2007 2:34 PM

This always worked fine for me: once the object is properly imported by any method, go to the "model" tab, click "clear" on the right side, commit; then in the "groups" tab, select the group you want to make clickable and click "add to bounding mesh". Repeat if there are other groups you want to add to the clickable area, commit, save.
I hope this helps

Numenor 6th Oct 2007 6:34 PM

Solfas - The message about the quaternions happens when you import a ASCII file in Milkshape and then try to export it with the Unimesh.

The workaround suggested by Atavera is to import the ASCII in SimPE (the clickable area is still wrong), then extract the entire GMDC, import the GMDC into Milkshape usng the Unimesh and immediately export it with the Unimesh. Then, replace the GMDC in SimPe with the freshly exported one. This should rebuild the clickable area.

solfal 6th Oct 2007 8:27 PM

Thank you so much Marvine and Numenor!

I tried the "clear/add to bounding mesh" method first but that got the game to crash. Perhaps because I have messed up the import/export methods. This will be very usefull in the future though!

Then I tried the unimesh imort/export and it workes great!

(I think I have been rather grumphy the last couple of days so I guess my family will join me in the thank you :D)

Numenor 6th Oct 2007 9:11 PM

Remember to NEVER clear or add to the bounding mesh, in SimPE, when you are working on jointed meshes! The bounding mesh management, in SimPE, is limited to non-jointed meshes (I wish Quaxi had written a warning somewhere in the GMDC window...)

Dr Pixel 6th Oct 2007 10:00 PM

Thanks, Numenor! That clears up some very confusing problems I have had on occasion with jointed objects.

marvine 6th Oct 2007 10:06 PM

Whoopsie!! My mistake, I realize that I must never have used it on jointed meshes... I don't remember a warning though, good to know.

WesHowe 7th Oct 2007 2:10 AM

Animatable (jointed) meshes and static meshes use two different methods of delineating the control mesh, and these are written differently in the GMDC. Any aspiring mesh exporter writers will be happy to know they are fully documented on the Sims2 Wiki.

I am sorry about the quaternion issue, but without knowing the values that were in the quaternions from the Maxis mesh you cannot properly calculate the animatable control mesh values (as well as other issues). The design choices were to require the CRES be loaded for an export, require the original GMDC for the exporter to read (like the meshtool) or to read these on import and keep them until needed for export, which is what I chose. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

It works well, as long as you don't mix methods, like MS-ASCII in and UniMesh out. I don't think reversing these will work, either, because the joint rotations will be different.

<* Wes *>

Numenor 7th Oct 2007 8:45 AM

Wes, the "quaternion issue", as you call it, is not an Unimesh issue at all: of course we can't expect a tool or plugin to have a gazing orb to determine unknown data, lol
I myself have tried once to import in ASCII and export with Unimesh, and got that message , that's why I know its meaning (I then read the notes in the Unimesh thread and solved the riddle...)