Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 7:34 AM Last edited by simsgeneration1 : 8th Nov 2015 at 4:40 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime
Game won't recognize radeon r9 270x graphics card. SOLVED
I am having trouble getting my game to recognize my new graphics card. I tried the guide already. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game
I don't think I am entering the right strings. All of my other games are able to run perfectly fine with veryhigh/ultra settings so it is very frustrating that my sims 3 game lags on lowest settings. Please help, I just need to know what exact strings to add where, or if someone could add the strings for me.

What is the base game's patch version?

Do you have dual GPUs? Have you made sure Sims 3 is using the dedicated one as shown in Guide: Two Graphics Cards?
I do not have dual.

If the edits still don't change the defaults when you click on Restore defaults, tweak the Option sliders yourself and Quit. Then next time you load the game, check if the previous settings were overwritten and goes back to being low or has your tweaks been retained?
Defaults set everything to lowest settings.

I've tried looking everywhere but I am not sure if I am adding the right strings. Nothing is changing. Game still says it can't find graphics card.
The graphics card I have is:
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11217-04-20G

Vendor ID: 1002
Device ID: 6810
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon R9 200 Series [Found: 1, Matched: 0]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 6810, Board: e271174b, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1404, GUID: D7B71EE2-2B50-11CF-8771-7BC2BEC2C535
Driver version: 1404
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I think... there's a simpler tutorial on here... if someone could just do a quick search... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have been searching for the past few weeks and nothing is working. What other tutorial?
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:58 PM
I have the same issue. No one could ever help me, and I ended up very frustrated, because I bought 270X having been told that it was perfect for running TS3 plus all EPs at highest settings. Unfortunately, I never saw anything about the issues of it not being read until after I opened up the game and it told me that the game could not read the card.

Now I've been wondering if it's actually reading it now or not... Although I think my graphics could be better.

I'll be watching the topic in hopes we get a real solution. I spent sooo much money on this stupid PC for it to not be doing what I got it for. I hate PC gaming so much. Seriously.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 4:25 AM
I have finally figured it out. I'll just post what exactly i put for anyone else that has R9 200 series graphics cards. Just copy and paste this over it.

elseif (match("${cardVendor}", "ATI"))
if (match("${cardName}", "*HD 29?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 36?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 38?0*") or match

("${cardName}", "*HD 4??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 5??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*Radeon 5xxx*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD

6??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*R9 2?0x*") or match("${cardName}", "*Processor*") or match("${cardName}", "*V77?0*") or match

("${cardName}", "*V87?0*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelUber
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x18??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x19??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 31?0*") or match("${cardName}",

"*V3600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V37?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5600*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5700*") or match("${cardName}",

"*V7200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V73?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7600*") or match("${cardName}",

"*R9 2?0x*") or match("${cardName}", "*V86?0*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelHigh
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*x14??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x850*") or match("${cardName}", "*x15??*") or match("${cardName}",

"*HD 34??*") or match("${cardName}", "*x16??*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 23?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 24?0*") or match

("${cardName}", "*R9 2?0x*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*9800*") or match("${cardName}", "*x600*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 32??*") or match("${cardName}",

"*x7?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x8?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X2*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X3*") or match

("${cardName}", "*V3200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V33?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3400*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5000*") or

match("${cardName}", "*V5100*") or match("${cardName}", "*V5200*") or match("${cardName}", "*V7100*") or match("${cardName}", "*R9 2?0x*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelLowmedium
seti isCardMatched true
elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Rage*") or match("${cardName}", "*XPress*") or match("${cardName}", "*7?00*") or match("${cardName}",

"*8?00*") or match("${cardName}", "*95?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*96?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*97?0*") or match("${cardName}",

"*x200*") or match("${cardName}", "*x300*") or match("${cardName}", "*x5?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x10?0*") or match("${cardName}",

"*x11?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x12?0*") or match("${cardName}", "*x13??*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL T2*") or match

("${cardName}", "*FireGL Z1*") or match("${cardName}", "*FireGL X1*") or match("${cardName}", "*V3100*") or match("${cardName}", "*R9 2?

0x*"))
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 10:27 PM
By nitromon's method, it gives me the [Found:1 Matched:1] message now, where as I'm not remembering if it did with the old method I tried (replacing one of the lines in the graphicscards.sgr file with something like R9 200 series or whatever it was). Not certain whether it's caused any changes. The default graphic settings are better than I recall them being before, but they're not what I'd expect them to be, still.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 7:03 PM
So it can never be completely read by the game? What does this mean for gameplay?

I feel stupid. The member on here pointed me toward the 750Ti but I said no and went a step up to the R9 270X since a site that listed the way the cards work with The Sims 3 (and Expansion Packs) showed that R9 270X was actually the lowest level card that ran it best, whereas the 750 Ti was listed to have potential issues with the last two EPs. Yet somehow they failed to mention that the game could not read the R9 270X. How could they dare to fail to mention something so major?!

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 7:32 PM
The GTX 750Ti isn't also on EA GPU-list, so you would have to do the same as what you did with the R9 270X.

EA just haven't updated their list since 2010, think they only captured cards that were back then available to run TS3.
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 5:38 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 16th Nov 2015 at 7:47 PM.
Help, I'm afraid doing this made my game play a lot worse.

I checked, I do not have the new patch, so that's not to blame. The camera lags now MUCH worse than before, it takes a long time to load up objects in buy/build mode. They lag in placing them... All of this is stuff that I remember happening on my old computer.

Thankfully, I saved the graphics files the way I had them before, so I can just replace the new ones with the ones I had before.

It's either this, or the new AMD update I made... They installed Raptr and brought this video recording software called 'Plays.TV'. I didn't ask for any of this, and all of the sudden it's loading every time I run the game. Is it possible that this is the problem?

EDIT: I shut off the AMD program, no trace of it or Plays.TV, and the game is still running badly.

EDIT again: I put the old files back in and it's not running any better! What have I done?

Scholar
#14 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 10:56 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 16th Nov 2015 at 11:56 PM.
I've cleared out all of the caches and thumbnails save for the world ones.

The loading is happening entirely differently. Beforehand when loading up a world, it would get to about halfway through the gauge and load. Now it goes through the whole thing, and stops at the very end and it takes a lot longer for the world to load. Then it's laggy everywhere. D:

I spent a FORTUNE on this PC just to play this game. Not happy.

EDIT: I'm dumb. Forget all of this. I put a TS2 download in my mods folder thinking it was for The Sims 3. Turns out doing that really messes up the game!

Scholar
#16 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 9:01 PM
Simsgeneration1, forgive me if I come into your thread... I too had an issue with Sims 3 not recognizing my new graphic card.

Recently I purchased an Nvidia GTX 980...

The game didn't find the card in the database and my default settings were low. After reading precious, but difficult tutorials (Thank you, Nitromon, and other mad scientists ) and after many aspirins as well, I just edited the "GraphicCards.sgr" and the "GraphicRules.sgr"

Before doing that I had in Documents\blabla\Sims 3:

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]

I would now say Hourrah ! My game is fine. It no longer displays the warning about my graphic card not being recognized. And the default settings are high (exactly like in the long tutorial).

Well. But there is still something that I don't understand: In Documents\blabla\Sims 3 there is:

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 [Found: 0, Matched: 1] and I believe it should display : Found: 1, Matched 1. I don't know what I did wrong and if it could damage the game or the card itself. Of course, if you tell me that there will be no bad consequences , I will forget this problem..

Please, could you help me with that?

Thanks in advance
Scholar
#18 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Did you use the long version? Most people made errors editing the graphicsrules.sgr trying to add their graphics card.

Thank you so much, Nitromon, for your quick reply.

I used a mix : The long version and your short version. I used your tute to fix the texture memory ( I found it easy). But with the long tutorial I was in a great pain as I tried to edit the Graphic Rules.

I am pretty sure that I made a mistake. However my game works fine, it seems to recognize the card and the default settings are now as high as in the long tutorial ( after editing).

Not sure what I could do and if I can launch the game without any risk for my new graphic card

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my complaints