Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 10:18 PM
Default Please add rabbithole vacations alongside the usual sim vacations.
Sometimes sims like to travel a lot, but not all sims in the household. Why not allow sims to go on a vacation while you keep controlling the rest of the household while they are away?

I mean, vacations will be added eventually, might as well add this right away so sims can go on vacation. This would be a rabbit hole that makes sense since you would controll the other relatives.
Personly I'd prefer to have that option as well.

Unless they dont like their housemates, they could send a greeting card while on vacation, and depending on their traits they could come back with some items. And of course they would return feeling pretty good about themselves, unless they somehow had a bad vacation experience.

This would also open up the chance to have destinations available based on traits, lifestage, condition, etc. A lot more than they could possibly portray in a vacation expansion.
Examples:

-Kids going away to spend a vacation at an uncle and aunt their farm.
-Brave sims going away for mountainclimbing.
-Alien sims being able to visit the homeplanet.
-Vampire sims visiting transimvania.

Aside from vacations, business trips associated with work could function the same way. Like a soldier sim send off to war for quite some time, an office sim being send on a business trip, etc. Some proffesions would have more such opportunities than others, all being optional and giving a good career boost.

Could also be a prison destination for criminal sims. They could get opportunities to do risky assignments, and may end up in jail if it goes wrong. Can always decline the opportunity of course, bigger the risk, the bigger the reward could be on succes.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 10:30 PM
I actually quite liked parents going away on a vacation and leaving the teenagers home alone in Generations. I wouldn't mind that idea extended myself
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 10:51 PM
OR they could do something like the Community Lot Time mod and allow you to play sims on holiday for say, three days, and then when you go back to the home lot, they don't come back for three days. And then we could actually play everyone.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
OR they could do something like the Community Lot Time mod and allow you to play sims on holiday for say, three days, and then when you go back to the home lot, they don't come back for three days. And then we could actually play everyone.

That ^ I love community time.

Ticking that yes to a sims 3 'vacation' was one of the worst moves I did. I thought how nice everyone is getting a holiday, than just the parents vanished and no one was there to finish off the daughter drivers ed and their relationship fell. Parents arrive back home, and don't seem any different at all, daughter grows up that day, leaves home and now the daughter says 'I don't know you well enough to accept a gift' to her mother all because the parents were gone 3 days.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 11:03 PM
Seriously, before now I had never head anyone ever say "gosh, I wish there were more ways to send my sim off-screen for a while so I don't have to play them".

ETA: Ah, I didn't mean to sound quite that snarky, sorry.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Seriously, before now I had never head anyone ever say "gosh, I wish there were more ways to send my sim off-screen for a while so I don't have to play them".

*raises hand* More so in TS2, admittedly, but I don't dislike the idea of shoving Sims off to accomplish something, even fun somethings, without my supervision. And I can envision times I'd like to shove some Sims off-screen on vacation while I play whoever's holding down the fort, if that's the part of my mental storyline I'd rather be paying attention to.
Scholar
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 5:05 AM
Only thing I dont like about the Vacation and University side of the Sims3, is if you send a sim on Vacation/University, Is you cannot play any other family from your main neighborhood, until you either leave early or drop out, so if you get bored of the sim your playing it's tough luck.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 9:10 AM
I just figured it would be a rabbithole that makes sense, a succesor to tombs and such that actually works.

They cant portray hundreds of vacation destinations after all, I never said this should replace vacations. It would just be an addition to it that could be added before we can follow our sims on vacations even, a good way for them to aquire odd items. Some trips could require preperations to bring back rare items, like requiring maxed out athletic skill when going mountain climbing to succeed at it.

Eventually, once vacations are added, they could have three or four destinations we can follow our sims to, and maybe 30 or such they can go to with a rabbithole. It would be an extension of sim vacations, not a replacement. They cant possible have 30+ vacation destinations after all, with luck we get four this time instead of three.

Locations we can go to with our sims could be unavailable as rabbitholes.

Wouldnt it be much more fun if your sim, instead of exploring a crypt in the local graveyard, goes away on vacation to aquire an odd item there? There could be an airport at the town even, giving other sims the chance to say goodbyes to loved ones and welcome them back home when they return.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 3:32 PM
I might be a dense here but I don't see much of a difference to what we have in Sims3.
The rabbithole was the mausoleum, I always thought of it as a tomb that is a rabbithole. And we have opportunities in some careers that ask us to obtain something in Egypt or one of the other places. It's borked, last time I checked, but it already exts.

Do you mean an expansion on the "parents go on vacation" theme, just with more specific options and bringing back more than just a moodlet?
And the airport is the rabbithole? I just don't know what I should agree or disagree with here.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 3:54 PM
This has potential, I think.

A travel agent rabbit hole that you click on and get the options: (for example)

1. Vacation at the coast
2. Vacation in the mountains
3. Vacation at a dude ranch
4. Visit the in-laws

When you choose one, it asks how many days and which sims in the family you are currently playing and greys them out, similar to what Generations does now with the adults leaving the teens alone. They come back at the end of the trip, rested and refreshed with a souvenir of some sort in their inventory.

If you play a rabbit hole career have a similar option. Instead of choosing "work hard", "slack off", "talk to coworkers" etc., have an option that says "attend seminar" (2 days) (individualize this per career..... example, army could "go to war games"). When they come back, they've increased the job performance bar..... or possibly have an opportunity pop up during the trip... ex "General Aintgottaclue can't get his tent set up, but they are about to run out of waffles in the mess hall.....and you choose "eat waffles" or "help general" and that determines how much exp you get from the trip".

Could be helpful for those that play large families, get a couple sims out of the way for a bit and allow you to concentrate on others. Like I said, an idea that has potential.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 5:18 PM
If you have Island Paradise can't you just buy a second home and temporarily move there the sims you don't want to play? Sorry, but I don't want rabbitholoes for vacations now. Maybe they could just give the option to accompany the sims on vacation or not if the entire household is not going. That way you can choose which group to play.