Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Meia_Power
It is not a stupid complaint. He is actually right.
Sideways text is NOT ideal, most of the time.
It may look cool, but in practice, it isn't that good.

A good UI should make the user immediatly comfortable, and should minimize any learning curves and efforts, and be as simple to read and consult as possible.

Sideways text does not contribute to any of those characteristics.

If it is "Fine", "Happy", "Sad", it is cool. But when we go to "Hysterical", for instances, it gets trickier to read. And we don't know how many emotions there are, and it's names.
It will start to be easier to memorize the colors and the general aspect of the word to recognize the emotion, than to actually read it.

I don't know I'm used to read the titles of books sideways when they are on the shelf. But as you said its likely that it's irrelevant anyway because we will most likely memorize the colours and aspects of the words and the expression of the Sim.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88
I don't know I'm used to read the titles of books sideways when they are on the shelf. But as you said its likely that it's irrelevant anyway because we will most likely memorize the colours and aspects of the words and the expression of the Sim.

It will start to be irrelevant because it will be easier to use our memory than to actually read.
If the text were horizontal, that issue would be minimized.

Crocs with socks
Field Researcher
#28 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:30 PM
I really don't like it. It looks like some sort of online game's UI to me.
Instructor
#29 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:41 PM
I don't think it has much personality, and that really disappoints me. I don't, in theory, mind the big departure from the previous games' UI... but this is just so bland. Also, I HATE HATE HATE the sideways text with a BURNING PASSION. It's going to be an utter pain for me.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Instructor
#30 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:22 PM
all I can say the UI is look just the same with SimCIty 2013...

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Forum Resident
#31 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:34 AM
I hate it. It doesn't look like The Sims at ALL...

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:48 AM
If wouldn't mind it if they got rid of the sideways text and the thought bubbles above the sims head. I don't want to be told what my sim is feeling in my face, maybe hiden under a button would be okay. So even horizontally I don't want. Kind of irrelevant since I am unlikely to buy this unless it's in the bargain bin as so far there is nothing that interests me. I think the emotions are silly, the walks are annoying, the babies are ugly, the building is boring. Not much left. CAS might be fun. Shrug.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#33 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:51 AM
The sideways text is a bit irrelevant for me... I can tell at a glance what the word is. Even if I'm not strictly "reading" the text, it only takes a fraction of a second to tell apart "happy" or "sad", especially with a handy colour chart and emotional sim face right next to it.

Check out The Moore Legacy, a Sims4 legacy blog.
Also - Stranded on Sixam Challenge... Can your sim live long-term on an alien planet?
Forum Resident
#34 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If wouldn't mind it if they got rid of the sideways text and the thought bubbles above the sims head. I don't want to be told what my sim is feeling in my face, maybe hiden under a button would be okay. So even horizontally I don't want. Kind of irrelevant since I am unlikely to buy this unless it's in the bargain bin as so far there is nothing that interests me. I think the emotions are silly, the walks are annoying, the babies are ugly, the building is boring. Not much left. CAS might be fun. Shrug.

Urm, you are aware that between the needs, the wants, fears, moddlets and Aspiration bar the game has been telling you how your Sims feel since day one, right?

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#35 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 9:07 AM
well at least I've seen this NEEDS in their new UI

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Page 2 of 2