Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#951 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 4:31 PM
well the store IS worldwide so maybe the former indian sets were popular enough with the indian players to reintroduce them? there are, after all, over a billion indian people in the world, i bet just a few of them play sims.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#952 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 4:47 PM
You know what I find interesting is that if you bought this set with the idea of having a family from India in your neighborhood, the kids would run around in Indian style clothes, then as teenagers have to switch to American (not that big a deal from a story telling point of view, since teens like to dress like the others in school). They rediscover their cultural heritage as adults and switch back to Indian clothes. Then, as elders, they switch to the same old pedal pushers, sweatsuits and golf shirts the rest of the neighbors wear. Which kind of blows the whole idea, IMHO.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#953 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
well the store IS worldwide so maybe the former indian sets were popular enough with the indian players to reintroduce them? there are, after all, over a billion indian people in the world, i bet just a few of them play sims.
That's a very odd opinion of yours. Do you really think that the way these sets look that they are targeted at Indian people or that they appeal especially to them?
Instructor
#954 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 4:53 PM
I purchased the last Indian set and got a lot of use out of it. I actually quite like some of the pants for men because they weren't just jeans or slacks, and I use some of the clothes and items pretty regularly in my game. A lot of the buy items look like stuff you could get at World Market, so it's not really out there to use it in an Americanized neighborhood (since most hoods seem to be located in the equivalent of California). Of course, many of these items look like they came straight out of a bad movie (which I think someone else mentioned). I might get a couple of items from this set. I agree that we could use more build items than CaS or buy, but EA's gonna do whatever the hell they want apparently.

I agree with babele44--I would also like a plain, regular turban. Usually, when I see men wearing turbans, they aren't bedazzled.

Lab Assistant
#955 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
That's a very odd opinion of yours. Do you really think that the way these sets look that they are targeted at Indian people or that they appeal especially to them?

it looks like something from bollywood movies. as far as i know bollywood is still a big part of indian culture. so... maybe?? idk i feel like i'm an exam you're making me nervous ahh
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#956 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
it looks like something from bollywood movies. as far as i know bollywood is still a big part of indian culture. so... maybe?? idk i feel like i'm an exam you're making me nervous ahh
Well, and rightly so. I used to work for a university department where post-colonial studies was one of the subjects taught. The head of that department would have roasted you alive and blown the remnants into smithereens had you said that to her.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#957 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Don't let the screenshots fool you, lewisb. EA always uses animations we barely see. I'm not sure what animation they used for that, but it's clearly since looong ago.

This is the render of Emmaline Rhoen when they promoted Hidden Springs. She used the same animation.

I hope EA won't surprise us with another crappy premium content this time... maybe they'll give us a 20x20 elephant riding arena.

OH well, my hopes are dashed. Thanks for that, I forgot it was just a pose...maybe from WA?

Quote:
I agree with babele44--I would also like a plain, regular turban. Usually, when I see men wearing turbans, they aren't bedazzled.

I use lots of the items from the first set too, I love the one pant suit and use them on sims from SimEgypt also. I like having sims to represent different cultures in my worlds. Diversity is nice and the themed sets are very useful. That is what bothers me about EA, they bedazzle and stencil up too many items, especially when I am sure there is no one in their area that come to work with something like that. I have worked with lots of Sikhs and they don't have turbans on in the US with jewels and stones unless it's something for a ceremony or celebration. Guess I have to hope on someone removing all that crap before I can use it.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#958 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 5:56 PM
I 1000000000000% approve of having a cultural flair in the game. Everything from the North to the South Pole. What's missing, on the other hand is a proper execution of the content being given. The quality of the materials isn't (always) the problem, but usability.

The Store has quite a few Japanese sets, yet the world we've been given is China. We have Greek, Moroccan, Mexican, Cambodian, Indian, African, Native American, New England, New Orleans - what towns are putting this stuff in to really get a good feel for the materials? 3 isn't even capable of producing a vague sense of themed venues because everything is specific and we're not encouraged to customize anything half the time.

Then we have Medieval, Wonderland, Steampunk, Fairy, Fairy tales, Gothique, Edwardian, Carnival - people may want them, but if one can't get the most use from them, why do we have them? EA hasn't even provided players with the tools to produce their own towns with the materials at hand. Even they struggle with specific themes in their own store towns because they've limited themselves so much to make a quick buck.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Inventor
#959 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 8:18 PM
Now if some Indian dance was included ...
Mad Poster
#960 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 7:25 PM
Why is no one walking? :o

So, I did one of those fancy price breakdowns. If this was a "stuff pack" (with all the India stuff), this would be 72 items at $32.50, American. Yet, with 72 items, it's still quite impossible to build a suitable Indian style home.

Being incredibly incomplete, I'd say it's not worth it.

Scholar
#961 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
You can say that about many of the store sets. Especially the Alice and Wonderland themed stuff.

I mean, honestly...

LOL. That's probably my most used non-pc set; I use it for my kids rooms and bathrooms all the time. I get a lot of use out of the Indian and Cambodian sets too. Got them on great daily deals, after the holidays (250 points).

I guess it depends on what you like. To me, it seems like half the store is ugly modern stuff like Ultra Lounge and BauHaus.

I don't know if I'll buy the whole new set (not really interested in the clothes) but I am in love with the furniture. :lovestruc
One Minute Ninja'd
#962 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Why is no one walking? :o

So, I did one of those fancy price breakdowns. If this was a "stuff pack" (with all the India stuff), this would be 72 items at $32.50, American. Yet, with 72 items, it's still quite impossible to build a suitable Indian style home.

Being incredibly incomplete, I'd say it's not worth it.

I'm confused, yet again. This set has 27 items for $13.50 (1350 Simpoints, "on sale"). Are you just extrapolating that to adding 45 more India themed pieces to make an SP of it? And, depending on the choice of items, it might be possible to complete a pretty realistic traditional Indian themed home. Maybe.

Still, this one is not for me, although, as aeval already wrote, I also like the Alice stuff for kid's bedrooms and bathrooms, and have used that set on several homes. This stuff just doesn't do it for me. Reminds me of the upcoming horror pack, stuff to create sets, but no game play to go with it. The elephant ride arena would have made this a must buy for me, though.
Top Secret Researcher
#963 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
Now if some Indian dance was included ...

Lab Assistant
#964 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
At least there is one hairstyle which looks pretty well...after removing the unneeded accessories, lol.

I like the CAS items too, although they are a continuation of the other Indian set/s, which I have, but probably paid 1,000 fewer simpoints for.

The build/buy is VERY dull in this set. Where are the over-the-top drapes, spires, flowers, and (back to CAS) JEWELRY?
Mad Poster
#965 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I'm confused, yet again. This set has 27 items for $13.50 (1350 Simpoints, "on sale"). Are you just extrapolating that to adding 45 more India themed pieces to make an SP of it? And, depending on the choice of items, it might be possible to complete a pretty realistic traditional Indian themed home. Maybe.

Yes, I grouped everything together. Even if the set were bought in bulk (as one would a stuff pack), it's still incomplete, as it doesn't really capture the Indian architectural style at all. If one has the inside, one must also do the outside and the outside hasn't been explored well enough. Even the inside is lacking a bit, in certain areas.

Compare it to something like Regal Living, which touches on various parts of the home, and can easily be supplemented with a few base game objects and still capture the look of a Victorian home. That could have been a stuff pack all it's own.

Theorist
#966 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 3:02 PM
I've always wanted a hood from India or surrounding countries. Build the glorious Taj Mahal, with a city hall rug inside. A middle class section where they have crops and stuff, and ghetto areas with rats running around. Markets with lots of sacks of spices, and poultry farms. Awesome stuff, potentially.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Forum Resident
#967 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Don't let the screenshots fool you, lewisb. EA always uses animations we barely see. I'm not sure what animation they used for that, but it's clearly since looong ago.

This is the render of Emmaline Rhoen when they promoted Hidden Springs. She used the same animation.

Lest we forget, that yoga pose was first seen in promotional art for the base game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#968 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 10:27 PM
Yeah, I get fooled by that and forgot about those poses were used before. Sadly, I keep hoping for yoga. I miss it so much.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Alchemist
#969 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Lest we forget, that yoga pose was first seen in promotional art for the base game.

I still never know how Sims can perform that animation...

Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Yeah, I get fooled by that and forgot about those poses were used before. Sadly, I keep hoping for yoga. I miss it so much.

Remember this image?

Some people speculated the Sims in the middle back was doing yoga or something; she's lying on the back and her legs are... uh, I don't know how to describe it. But it's not yoga, but an animation for playing that soccer ball with high Athletic skill.

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
#970 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 1:56 PM
Frankly I don't give a damn. Get over it. Move on.
Mad Poster
#971 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:15 PM
You sound upset.

Scholar
#972 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 1:37 AM
Cows are coming...

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/30/sims-...eek-sneak-peek/

...Titanium white...
One Minute Ninja'd
#973 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Enjoji
Cows are coming...

http://simsvip.com/2013/08/30/sims-...eek-sneak-peek/

Not just cows, but cow tipping. Look at that sim laugh. Maybe that's an Easter egg for the sociopath trait coming to 4.
Mad Poster
#974 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 2:29 AM
Talk about milking...

Alchemist
#975 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 2:43 AM
I know cows are unique in this game, but I don't see why people are really excited about the cow stuff and Easter egg. All their reactions on twitter and elsewhere are like, "OMG! COWS!!!" and "MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!! <3"

I just don't see all that excitement. You feed 'em, milk 'em... How is that exciting? I'm not saying I give negative response to the cows. I just don't understand their excitement.

Just call me Nikel
Page 39 of 124