Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 7:09 PM
Default Will sims be aware of time?
I'd really want my sims to understand the concept of time.

They shouldnt want to bake waffles in the morning when they need to go to work in half an hour and need to use the toilet as well. There clearly wouldnt be time for it! They should be aware of this, and grab some cereal, a sandwich or other quick meal instead.

Being aware of their work hours, they should strive to have their needs fulfilled before worktime and try to save time when possible. Like taking a shower instead of a bath in the morning, not making the bed if they still need to attend to multible needs, etc.

Of course, traits could affect these matters since couch potatoes would likely not be in such a hurry, but not every sim is a couch potato by default and really neat sims may not be able to not make the bed or not clean the dishes.

On a related note, sims should be able to perform many actions faster if they are running out of time. Such as eating, showering, cleaning, etc. Rushing it would mean the results would be less good though. They just shouldnt be taking their sweet time for everything they do.
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 7:23 PM
But isn't feeding them, getting them to work on time, and making sure that their needs are filled our job?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 9:37 PM
Honestly my sims never have this problem. Maybe I'm just amazing at micromanaging my sims, constantly pausing every few seconds in the morning to make sure everything is just fine for my large 8+ households. My simmies don't tend to do anything autonomously until after work or on the weekends because then it's more their time when I'm off forcing one of my sims to have an amazing day, leaving everybody else out for themselves. Though when I do let my sims sleep in for too long, I usually just have them take a shower because, in my opinion, work raises the more tedious needs to satisfy such as bladder, and at times, hunger. But my sims only cook, NO FREE MEALS! They're better than that

Still is the water green and thick,
He'll drag you under with his stick,
See flaxen gold floats there through the mist,
He killed someone's daughter with his wick,
An arm with grey skin bobs slowly in the pit.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 10:24 PM
I don't pause my game unless I really have to with big households, not much of a controll freak myself.

Just want my sims to function like real people and not like toddlers who need to be taken by the hand during all their daily activities.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 3:22 AM
I find that I have these morning isssues (get up, shower, eat) a lot less with Sims3 than with Sims2. Maybe because eating is faster in Sims3?

So, overall, not much to complain in that regard.
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 3:40 AM Last edited by coltraz : 4th Sep 2013 at 9:19 AM.
Like Butch said - that's our job to manage their time. A Sim isn't good with time management; time restraints be damned, if he desires waffles then he will attempt to make waffles unless we stop him and tell him to leave hungry, or have a quick tub of icecream instead. They don't plan ahead, they respond to simulated desire, and we guide what they're allowed to do and what they're allowed to have. Sometimes we let them have waffles and go to work late. Sometimes we cancel them in mid-preparation and send them out the door or to the shower instead.

That aspect of time awareness would further extract my input from the equation. It would lessen my need to intervene or redirect. And that sounds awful...TS3 has already gone slightly in that direction--of thinking I want to do less work when I don't--and it sucks.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 8:54 AM
My only complaint with regard to that is that the motive threshold which causes a Sim to act on their own is set a bit too low. That whole mechanism of motive decay, motive drain and the point at which autonomy kicks in in order to prevent motive failure is not very well balanced. Add to that the often weird advertising values of some objects (like the juice bar with regard to hunger). The result of this, I think, can best be seen when you watch your uncontrollable housemates in a university dorm. They start their cooking too late when they're already starving, they go pee when almost at bursting point and only go to bed when the next option would be to pass out. The further you progress in your term the more this whole system falls apart.
Alchemist
#8 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 11:57 AM
With the so-called promised "SmartSim", we could expect Sims to manage their actions smarter this time. Otherwise, I'd really want to question EA regarding what makes Sims smart anyway.

Otherwise, I also want to see the promised "multitasking". Sims should be able to grab quick meal and eat it while they're walking to the carpool. Or else, all this "multitasking" hype is just another nonsense. After all, we've only seen Sims "multitask" talking while eating, talking while using treadmill, and talking while X. How about making a phone call while reading a book and sitting? Nah...

Just call me Nikel
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 12:00 PM
Aw, but that might mean nobody missing the carpool because they were too busy pissing themselves on the front lawn, and I don't think it'd really be a sims game without inappropriate and hilarious urine.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 1:24 PM
i like the idea of them rushing.. it sounds less frustrating.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Sep 2013 at 4:17 PM
Should depend a bit on sims, especially workaholics wouldnt want to be late for work.

Dont think sims ever grab quick meals on their own in sims3, they always want something time consuming, even when they are extremely hungry and cant cook, meaning their waffles are burned and they need to prepare something else to eat anyways.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 10:04 PM
My beef with the whole scenario is really ever since TS2 been the same. Freaking WAFFLES? Seriously, someone tell me once and for all, is it common in USA to eat waffles for BREAKFAST? I mean, a dessert, yeah, or a Sunday brunch in a family with kids, but breakfast? Same with Pancaces, a total dessert food. Omelettes I get, sandwiches, cereal, porridge even. Fruit, veggies, berries with yoghurt. But sweet and sugary waffles and pancaces? Do not compute. I really wish there's be a sim game without waffles/pancaces for breakfast.

I'm sorry, this is slightly off-topic. It's just been bugging me for years.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81
My beef with the whole scenario is really ever since TS2 been the same. Freaking WAFFLES? Seriously, someone tell me once and for all, is it common in USA to eat waffles for BREAKFAST? I mean, a dessert, yeah, or a Sunday brunch in a family with kids, but breakfast? Same with Pancaces, a total dessert food. Omelettes I get, sandwiches, cereal, porridge even. Fruit, veggies, berries with yoghurt. But sweet and sugary waffles and pancaces? Do not compute. I really wish there's be a sim game without waffles/pancaces for breakfast.

I'm sorry, this is slightly off-topic. It's just been bugging me for years.

Seriously? You've never popped a waffle in the toaster and eaten it on the way out the door? I love waffles but pancakes are a little too flimsy for the toaster. They should really add toasters to the Sims 4.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 10:22 PM
I think I've eaten waffles for breakfast twice. Once when I found them for sale in Lidl and thought it would be nice to try them.

The other time was when I was in America. XD

But yeah, for breakfast it's toast, cereal, grapefruit, yoghurt, porridge, omelette or on special occasions, a full English with bacon and eggs and mushrooms and hash browns and sausages and tomatoes and perhaps baked beans. Sweet stuff is for after dinner.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#15 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 6:31 AM
Oh, in America, waffles are breakfast food. primarily. Unless you get a fancy-sounding Belgium Waffle, which is basically a desert waffle. So, yeah, it is common for peeps in the USA to eat waffles for breakfast. Also pancakes are considered a breakfast thing. Personally, I don't let such labels dictate when I eat them. You put a stack of fluffy pancakes in front of me, it doesn't matter what time of day it is, I'm gonna nosh.
Instructor
#16 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 7:10 AM
I have no problems getting sims up at 6 (or earlier) and be ready to out the door at 8 - as long as they don't socialize and someone has fixed a group meal to save time o_o

But I'd much prefer for time to just be slowed down (just a little bit) instead. Have a sim minute be every ten or so seconds, so it doesn't take 40 minutes to take a shower and the family can eat breakfast together and talk. It's those kinds of moments that makes the sims for me personally.

Oh, and yeah waffles and pancakes are staple breakfast food in the U.S. Nothing fancy, like a triple stacker with whipped cream and powdered sugar, 4 kinds of berries with some sort of hazelnut syrup on top, and cheesecake chunks in the batter you'd find at like IHOP - no, just a pancake or two with either fruit or a bit of syrup (for me, anyway). I don't care for waffles unless they're flavored, and when they are I eat them plain, like toast.

And even then, I couldn't eat pancakes/waffles every morning, and I don't know anyone who does (unless they're young and it's the little instant pancake things). It's just another breakfast option to have every so often
Mad Poster
#17 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 7:33 AM
I know I am perpetuating the stereotype here but I love chicken and waffles, for dinner. Waffles is not just for breakfast here where I am from because I hate eating heavy for breakfast, if I eat it at all. Toast and a cup of coffee is my staple, but when I pass this place: http://www.chicagoschickenandwaffles.com/ I have to stop for a little taste.

Soul food is food for the soul.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#18 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 8:03 AM
I've never had real chicken and waffles - only the chip flavor (which was just odd to me) so it's the opposite for me! Seems like everyone Richmond and further south have though. My old coworkers used to chastise me about not having such a 'staple classic'

The Sims series does need more soul food though, or at least some good comfort food. I mean, Emotions + Comfort food... it's like a no brainer! Sad sims should be able to get a pint (or half gallon - I won't judge) of ice cream and zone out in front of the tv, or just the thought of Mom's macaroni and cheese should make sims nostalgic and happy and want to go visit her. Ah, er *remembers the topic* and they should be aware of time it took her to make it?

In any case, better time system & comfort food in-game would be major pluses for me.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 8:07 AM
They should set standard time to half the speed while leaving animations the same length they are (any shorter and you'd really not see meaningful activities at all)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#20 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 3:29 AM
My guess is that the sims will be so aware of time, that when you're not playing they will all be screaming to be let out of "the nightmare of blackness." Better make sure to keep their program on all the time, like Vic Fontaine, or they'll all go insane.
Test Subject
#21 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:20 PM
Americans eat waffles, but most do not prepare them from scratch. My mother used to make them on Sunday and freeze them, and we'd pop them in the toaster during the week.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
On a related note, sims should be able to perform many actions faster if they are running out of time. Such as eating, showering, cleaning, etc. Rushing it would mean the results would be less good though. They just shouldnt be taking their sweet time for everything they do.

I do wish this were an option. Yeah, yeah, we manage time for our Sims, but sometimes it doesn't go smoothly--as in real life-- and when that happens, you start sprinting through the house to brush your teeth and find a breakfast item you can eat on your commute. Perhaps something like the workplace/school menus in TS3-- the things that let you determine if your Sim socializes or works hard or naps while they're at school/work? The "eating" action could have a drop down for "rushed" or "leisurely," making a Sim scarf their food down or really drag the meal out, the rates of either being affected by some multiplier for if they're a lazy couch potato already or an energetic go-getter.