Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#1101 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
Copyright infringement (or piracy to some) is still copyright infringement. The people who have the ability to do this type of modding generally are going to take that fairly seriously. Most sites which host content also have rules against "pirated content."

What is the difference between taking a store world and modifying it or taking clothing from the store or EP and modifying it? Taking the cow mesh and deleting part of the mesh is exactly like taking a clothing mesh and deleting part of the mesh. It is no different. In fact, not sure that putting out a mod that modifies the actions associated with an object is all that different. In both cases, they are modifications. This is done in many games. I have seen some drastic mesh modifications in games like Oblivion and Skyrim.

If the mesh is modified and then sold or if they use this to give the object to people who didn't buy it from the store, I think you might have a point. Can you point to one case where EA has gone after a Sim mod maker that has modified a store product?

This is certainly not piracy. Piracy is distributing an item that should only be distributed by the company. We are talking about a mod that is added to the person's computer after they have purchased the store item.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1102 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
I can't help but wonder whether or not those are fully modeled cows in the window... could just be the head and shoulders (behold my expert knowledge of bovine anatomy!)

The cows inside are real. They can be seen in the MLODs or MODL with the Model Viewer in s3pe.

Otherwise, in case people don't know, the feeding of the vegetables will produce soy milk. If a sim drinks this milk they get 5 days back on their life span.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#1103 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101

Otherwise, in case people don't know, the feeding of the vegetables will produce soy milk.

From the perspective of an actual vegetarian.. this is oddly offensive. I do applaud their inclusion of adding soy milk into the game, but soy milk from an animal???
They could have had a soybean plant and a device like a butter-churn or a cheese maker to make the soy-milk. Or hell, be lazy enough just get soy-milk directly from the soybean plant itself.
But by this logic on display here with this product... if you could harvest the cow and make hamburgers.. they would have you feed the cow veggies THEN slaughter it to make veggie- burgers.

Add me as a friend in the Sims:
http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Zagreus74
Forum Resident
#1104 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marcusprime
They could have had a soybean plant and a device like a butter-churn or a cheese maker to make the soy-milk. Or hell, be lazy enough just get soy-milk directly from the soybean plant itself.

It's a cow that can also be milked for milkshakes and chocolate milk. Realism is hardly a feature. It's not as though the cow is being mistreated.

...Well, except for the milkshake-tipping (though obviously that's apparently a natural part of a Sim-cow's life, I guess). But the milking itself, not so much.
Lab Assistant
#1105 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
It's a cow that can also be milked for milkshakes and chocolate milk. Realism is hardly a feature. It's not as though the cow is being mistreated.

...Well, except for the milkshake-tipping (though obviously that's apparently a natural part of a Sim-cow's life, I guess). But the milking itself, not so much.

Yes I know all this isn't terribly realistic, and there are about 50 billion examples in the game. Although some of them are nicely whimsical like a vegetarian vampire getting nourishment from a "plasma fruit" (which in itself is a play on a real fruit "blood orange").

But I would have liked to have seen (even taking the Sims whimsey route in game) the vegetarian non-animal byproduct drink, NOT come from the byproduct of an animal.
Hell, it would have made more sense for the soy-milk to have come from the cow-plant, than an actual cow.

Add me as a friend in the Sims:
http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Zagreus74
Field Researcher
#1106 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 8:57 AM
Yes I know all this isn't terribly realistic, and there are about 50 billion examples in the game. Although some of them are nicely whimsical like a vegetarian vampire getting nourishment from a "plasma fruit" (which in itself is a play on a real fruit "blood orange").

But I would have liked to have seen (even taking the Sims whimsey route in game) the vegetarian non-animal byproduct drink, NOT come from the byproduct of an animal.
Hell, it would have made more sense for the soy-milk to have come from the cow-plant, than an actual cow.

I'm not trying to be rude, but this is an incredibly trivial thing to be offended about. EA probably didn't even include the soy milk to "think of the vegans" (won't somebody please think of the vegans?!), it was more likely a result of some boardroom meeting where a group of producers tried to come up with as many ways to "milk" the idea of a cow object for features as they could.

If you're upset about a virtual cow producing virtual soy milk for virtual vegetarians then I shudder to think how you'd react to some of the other stuff that people do in the Sims.
#1107 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 10:56 AM Last edited by BloodyScholastic : 8th Sep 2013 at 11:12 AM.
From the perspective of an actual vegetarian.. this is oddly offensive. I do applaud their inclusion of adding soy milk into the game, but soy milk from an animal???
But by this logic on display here with this product... if you could harvest the cow and make hamburgers.. they would have you feed the cow veggies THEN slaughter it to make veggie- burgers.

WAIT... WUT???
I'm almost getting heart attack. After I read your post, I went to the actual Sims 3 forum.
Soy milk made from COWS feeding with "some vegetables" ? Did I miss something? Vegetables aren't that supposed to be daily feed for cows to keep them alive?
And what kind of "vegetables" could be feed to the cows so the cows could produce that nonsense soy milk? I'm from country where soy milk is a daily drink as a substitute to cows milk and I'm not even vegetarian. That "feeding cows with vegetables" thing can produce soy milk from that cow is completely (I agree with you) absurd and offensive to every player' IQ, to me. Every food intake (vegetables) eaten by cows turned to be milk are supposed to be called COWS MILK (animal dairy product) not SOY MILK (vegetables product).

Hmm, yea, milk chocolate made from cows that eat chocolate.. genius. Didn't EA not realize chocolate is not a safe food for animals?
Even I read somewhere that chocolate is not considered immediate toxic to cattle, chocolate is still considered very not recommended food for animals.
Chocolate can make pets cats, birds, rodents, reptiles especially dogs, die.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning
http://www.neogermanshepherds.com/d...OR_ANIMALS.html
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates...s&story_no=1390
http://www.jspca.org.je/pets_toxins_info.html

Why didn't EA adding soybean plant in the game? Make that plant to be planted like every other plant and it can harvest (produce) soy milk, so that can be more make sense. So apparently, EA has this habit of making complete ridiculous nonsense plant: plant to grow your own cheese and chicken meat from your garden, then banana tree from usual (apple) tree but the fruits are bananas. Then next, EA doesn't make plant. After they create cows that can produce cows milk, they:
A:"Hey, Sims have vegetarian trait, why don't we make soy milk for vegetarians? We already created cows can produce milk, so give players the option to get soy milk!"
B: "Soy milk requires soybean plant to make isn't it?"
A: "Ah, screwed that thing. We already created the cows and the whole farm set! Why should we create other plant object?"
B: "So..you mean... soy milk made from cows?"
A: "Yeah. What else do you think?"
B: "But... that sounds not logical! Soy milk is made from soybean plant, not animal. It is not vegetarian.."
A: "If we created soy bean plant, that plant won't fit into the whole 'farming with cows' concept. We created cows, not plants. You heard me?"
B: "But Sim players will complaint about this. Soy milk made from cows thing is not make any sense."
A: "Sim players are kids. Don't you know kids like ridiculous fantasy stuff? The more weird the object we create, it sells more. They know already soy milk is made from soy bean not cows already. It's just freaking game!! They know this Sims stuff is a game content, not actual real-life simulation content. Come on, finish our cows project immediately. Just give that cow eat vegetables or something to create more variety of milk. Deadline is awaiting us."

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Theorist
#1108 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloodyScholastic
WAIT... WUT???
I'm almost getting heart attack. After I read your post, I went to the actual Sims 3 forum.
Soy milk made from COWS feeding with "some vegetables" ? Did I miss something? Vegetables aren't that supposed to be daily feed for cows to keep them alive?
And what kind of "vegetables" could be feed to the cows so the cows could produce that nonsense soy milk? I'm from country where soy milk is a daily drink as a substitute to cows milk and I'm not even vegetarian. That "feeding cows with vegetables" thing can produce soy milk from that cow is completely (I agree with you) absurd and offensive to every player' IQ, to me. Every food intake (vegetables) eaten by cows turned to be milk are supposed to be called COWS MILK (animal dairy product) not SOY MILK (vegetables product).

Listen - I've been complaining about this since TS2 - hot dogs, steaks, eggs, cheese, turkey don't grow, you need farm animals to supply them. I've been mightily offended that I've had to "grow" my meat/dairy products since then. They didn't change it in TS3 and I'm still a bit miffed about it. Now they bring out cows and you can get "soy" milk from them. That's the last straw!! My vegetarian sims are ready to "occupy" something!

I've been asking for a farming EP to right this wrong to no avail. Ah well... I'm already not getting Sims 4 because they're managed to not include CASt. A farming EP may (operative word being MAY) be back in my good graces - IF they don't screw it up.

/end rand

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#1109 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 7:49 PM
The only reason they wont allow us to have meat from actual animals is because they don't want to go through the process of killing animals to have it done.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#1110 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The only reason they wont allow us to have meat from actual animals is because they don't want to go through the process of killing animals to have it done.

Make the sims bring them into an RH barn, "process <insert animal type here>" and out the other end with the finished product. Or sell it to an Abatoir (sp?) which could be another RH for a butcher career, and buy the finished product at the grocery store. There's lots of ways for EA not to SHOW the actual animal killing. GEEZ.. what happened, they ran out of creative ideas on how to do this or what?!?!?! OH WAIT... never mind...

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#1111 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 8:22 PM
Was chocolate milkshakes not creative?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#1112 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 8:38 PM
So, a vegetable (Cowplant) eating an animal (your sim) to produce milk that acts like a restorative Elixir of Youth is just fine and dandy, but a cow producing soy milk is the straw that breaks the camel's back? You want a game that includes things like werewolves, aliens, genies, and simbots to make "sense"? People wanted a cow that they could milk, they got one. They even gave you options. Why not use whips on the cow, then we could get Whipped Cream?

I agree, of all the things to get in a tizzy over, this is kinda trivial. It's not a real cow.
Alchemist
#1113 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 8:43 PM
I don't get it why people are like '' OMG FEED THEM VEGETABLES AND GET SOY MILK?! ARE THEY STUPID?!?!?111111111 '' well, it's a game..
Test Subject
#1114 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 9:28 PM
Hmm, yea, milk chocolate made from cows that eat chocolate.. genius. Didn't EA not realize chocolate is not a safe food for animals?
Even I read somewhere that chocolate is not considered immediate toxic to cattle, chocolate is still considered very not recommended food for animals.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/s...candy-cows-feed
Hadn't heard of it before myself, but someone linked an article about it on the official forums.

I think people are taking it all a bit too seriously though, the sims series isn't really known for being realistic.

I like the cow set in general, but I'm not keen on EA's prices for store content.
Theorist
#1115 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Was chocolate milkshakes not creative?

Well, if we're going to follow that train of thought... we can go Xanthian and go the whole hog that way. Lady Slipper trees for soft comfy slippers, marshmallow bushes for marshmallows, have some Night Mares and Day Mares for night dreams and day dreams... need I go on?

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#1116 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:21 PM
LGR put up a video featuring this new set and the one with the chicken coop if anyone is interested on getting a better look at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK34...ZxCiYWsBETgdKrQ
One Minute Ninja'd
#1117 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 12:35 AM Last edited by eskie227 : 9th Sep 2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling

First, I imagine that in the rush to type a post, punctuation sometimes suffers. But, just in case it was not a mere oversight, I would like to point out that dogs are mammals, not reptiles.

Second, on the lists of animals for whom chocolate can be potentially toxic (and it has to do with how their liver metabolizes a certain chemical present in cocoa, and in coffee, so giving your dog a shot of Joe in the AM isn't a good idea either), cows were not mentioned on any of the lists that I found. So perhaps the EA legal department did reach out to the veterinary community before force feeding Hershey bars to the cows to assure that no harm would come to these pixel cows.

Third, I have noticed the lack of any official activity on this topic by PETA. I imagine if PETA is not on the case, the pixel cows must be safe.

And finally, fourth, let us not forget that EA has graciously provided us with soy turkey and vegi-grilled salmon to liven up the menu of our vegetarian pixel people, although in real life, I will never partake in an actual soy turkey Thanksgiving dinner. That coming from a dedicated carnivore (vegis? who needs vegis?) who of course is the proud parent of a vegetarian. Holidays are such fun.
Top Secret Researcher
#1118 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 3:48 AM
Are the moo cowies in the in-game store? I've looked through the whole buy catalog but did not find it. I don't want the whole set, just the moo cowies.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Field Researcher
#1119 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 3:57 AM
^Apparently they are or so I've read at the official forum, I think they're in decorative somewhere, or if you're sorting by room check 'outside' and under activities.
Field Researcher
#1120 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 6:33 AM
I'd also like to mention that vegetarians (Sim or otherwise) can still drink normal milk. As far as I know there's no "vegan" trait in the game - thank Plumbob - so why people are offended by soy milk in the first place is beyond me.
Lab Assistant
#1121 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 11:02 AM
I've played a bit with the moo cowies, and the thing is actually quite cute. Of course, there could have been a device or something to make cheese out of two milks, instead of just letting it happen magically ... But anyways. What's really strange though is that the cow that wanders around is WAY too tall - cows' hips are usually not at the same height as people's shoulders, at least none of those I've ever seen ;-) Also, the cows never seem to sleep, which bothers me a bit. Still, it's a lot better than having to use cheese plants and such.
I also found that you can place a real fence around the pen if you put it down first and then move the pen over it with MoveObjects. If you leave one entrance at least for the sims, the cow doesn't seem to be bothered if you close off the other ones. Looks a bit better, in my opinion.
Instructor
#1122 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 2:55 PM
Semi-off topic:
Watching LGR's video on the Moo Cowies and the Chick Chickies (Can this be a thing now?) and am I the only one who was disturbed when he was talking about the cow being "ready"? For his fingers, no less? xD
Man, LGR I love you and all but sometimes man, sometimes you creep me out. .
Anyway, back to the tube of you's.
Top Secret Researcher
#1123 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by neon_wild
^Apparently they are or so I've read at the official forum, I think they're in decorative somewhere, or if you're sorting by room check 'outside' and under activities.

You successfully found useful information in the EA forums? What's your trick?

I did check the entire catalog and did not find the moo cowies. Maybe I need to run the launcher first. I haven't done that for weeks.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Mad Poster
#1124 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:14 AM
They should be releasing a new picture of the new store world today, there were some hints of it on twitter.

I sure hope EA doesn't mess this up, fingers crossed.
Lab Assistant
#1125 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
They should be releasing a new picture of the new store world today, there were some hints of it on twitter.

I sure hope EA doesn't mess this up, fingers crossed.

I am very cautiously getting my hopes up.
Page 45 of 124