Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:19 PM
Default Who thought up stupid "yibsim" idea?
I've just discovered that the people/sites invited to the gamescom event have been given a special epithet by EA. This is the explanation:
Quote:
All well-known fansites and personalities (called the "YibSims", meaning best friends in Simlish) are invited to be part of the event

Talk about a PR faux-pas. I mean we can't all expect to go, there is limited space for a start. But what a way to make the divide obvious and everyone else feel kind of surplus to community requirements!!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:23 PM
I thought it was stupid too - like only their opinions mattered, and they are so obviously 'better' than everyone else...

Why not have someone like LGR go along to SimsCamp, and tell EA the upfront truth, rather than these 'YibSims' who will say whatever EA tells them to?

...Titanium white...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:27 PM
I have felt that way from the start, when they first announced the name and who was included. Glad for them and happy they get the opportunity to be there for SimsCamp and such, but too bad for the rest of the fans. Really this has been the practice from the release of Sims 3.

*shrugs* Whatever! Don't make much difference to me and their opinion will not sway me at all. They will not give an opposing view for fear of not being invited in the future, so how can we appreciate their opinion? *shrugs again*

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:35 PM
Well obviously we all knew it's the people who can be trusted to give a favorable spin who tend to go to these things, and that's not really bothering me. I mean, they go to the effort to write it all up for us and we can read between the lines anyway where necessary. But to go that step further and by defining them as a word that means "best friends" I would have thought it makes it even more likely the rest of us are gonna dismiss the reviews as biased razzmatazz than we would if the delegates hadn't been made into a sort of special club - so very blatantly. Quite apart from setting a potential schism in the community itself. So I am kind of seeing own goal by EA here.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 10:46 PM
I'm offended because "yibsims" doesn't make etymological sense. Are we to assume "Sims" is Simlish for "friends" now? I mean, that would suit the steady push towards (unwanted, unneeded, unnecessary) socialization, but, you know. Or maybe it's inverted, and Sims means best, which-- well, it's not like there's a lot of competition, eh.

(ETA: Personally, I don't care. It's a cutesy Sims-related nickname for Big Name Fans that's not "Big Name Fans." We all already know who they are and who's likely to get invited to events. *shrug* Any event is a marketing event. Of course they aren't going to invite people who could have a chilling effect (or possibly worse, no effect whatsoever) on future sales and information dissemination and "PEPS" creation.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:16 PM
I guess that makes the rest of us chopped liver.
Scholar
#7 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:22 PM
So, if YibSims means best friends, have we been playing The Friends for all this time?
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:23 PM
All the same, Tempscire, there is a significant difference between saying "we invited these people as they are large sites with a good publicity machine and we are used to working with them" and saying "we're at an event together because we all like each other better than the rest of you" which describing each other by a word defined as "best friends" does. It makes their tweets to each other look terribly cliquey, and I am sure that's not really what they want, is it? They want us all to feel we're joining them in the excitement of the event, don't they?

Scholar
#9 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:27 PM
SimsVIP has tweeted a pic with some of the YouTubers hanging out in her hotel room... not sure if that constitutes to being cliquey
In my mind it does, but I'm probably just over-reacting...

...Titanium white...
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:31 PM
Well I don't doubt that the people who keep finding themselves at these events will become friends, and yes, perhaps a clique. I was really just wondering about the wisdom of making such a big thing in public of labelling themselves as a clique.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
I'm offended because "yibsims" doesn't make etymological sense. Are we to assume "Sims" is Simlish for "friends" now? I mean, that would suit the steady push towards (unwanted, unneeded, unnecessary) socialization, but, you know. Or maybe it's inverted, and Sims means best, which-- well, it's not like there's a lot of competition, eh.

Given how languages work now, it could be a loose translation of Favorite Person(s), Special Person(s), etc.

Of course, that makes no sense and someone obviously slapped it together with the least bit of throught.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:36 PM
I think the yibsim thing has more to do with the social network aspect they are trying to implement in TS4.
Theorist
#13 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:37 PM
I agree Inge, I thought it was dumb from the get-go. They tried to make it sound like they were 'listening' to the fans by selecting them for input. But many of us could see right through it, they mainly just invited YouTubers and fan web sites. And of course the entire thing seemed like a marketing ploy from the start since the ones picked would be sure to give them free advertising.

But then just a month orm two ago they did end up inviting some well known builders and CAW artists from the official forum. So maybe they are listening after all.

I don't know who any of the people are who work in EA marketing but they seem like a bunch of incompetent boobs to me. This was not the first clueless and insulting thing they have done to the fans.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:38 PM
I see (crocobaura)! Well then they better hurry up and explain it before it starts putting more people off. (Though I still think it's kinda silly even if it is what you say)

Test Subject
#15 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:39 PM
Sims probably means "people" so "best people" is kinda like "best friends".
Theorist
#16 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:41 PM
You all may have something there about the social networking angle. But I still say EA marketing are a bunch of dweebs.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:48 PM
Considering the members of the clique, *cough* Curtis whatever the last name *cough* I know for sure that it's not something I will put much faith in. I use to read SimsVIP everyday, but have trailed off in the last few weeks. I congratulated her for being invited and all but the grouping and Yibsims this, Yibsims that became unattractive to me. So I left the site alone. Don't get me started on Quxxn and her passing, I am sorry about it but do not want or think she should have a special memorial in my game. It will irritate and disturb me to no end. Truly I understand the sorrow the fans feel about her but where is the memorials for other great simmers in the community that have done more than "Let's Play" videos. The whole thing is annoying. Just my opinion, if EA does a memorial, nothing I can do about it.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:48 PM
Well, it's probably something like best friends of the sims are people who stay online, have sites dedicated to the sims, share news with their friends, bla, bla, bla, etc. Meh.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:58 PM
In due time, we'll see just how much TS4 will have been created for us, because of us.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 12:23 AM
After seeing the way simcity was, i think Maxis and EA must somehow think everything is stored in the cloud, meaning they think you can travel to gamescom, and everyone will be in a cloud so its not packed.
Theorist
#21 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 12:56 AM
It's not preferential treatment, it's more like a gag order. I seriously thought SimsVIP was one of the best sites for news but now it's obviously not true and that is most likely because of the yibsims. They basically get to play the game for free in exchange for their silence and in agreement that they won't propagate leaks. The OLD SimsVIP would've been all up on the P Kelly thing, especially his candid interview here before he was silenced as well. Also they would have shown the similarities between the leaked photos and P Kelly's photos like someone else mentioned.

I expect nothing but talking points and bullet points throughout the community sites involved. We might have some brave souls who feel they can speak freely after the camp but they will likely be few and far between.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
All the same, Tempscire, there is a significant difference between saying "we invited these people as they are large sites with a good publicity machine and we are used to working with them" and saying "we're at an event together because we all like each other better than the rest of you" which describing each other by a word defined as "best friends" does.

Perhaps I've become overly acquainted with the casual use of friend and conflation with "acquaintance" cultivated by things like Facebook and Livejournal. They aren't actually all friends in any grand scheme, they're just well-known to each other and well-networked, and they were already (whether they were organized/labeled as such or not) a clique by dint of being Big Name Fans(ites). I know you addressed that earlier-- that they made it an explicit kind of relationship instead of the implication we all kinda knew anyway-- but a widely-known "secret" turning public is really such a small change (and slightly hypocritical/dishonest to not acknowledge it without said change).

But it's still a stupid word, and for that I hope they forget about once this particular poledance is over. :p

Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
They basically get to play the game for free in exchange for their silence and in agreement that they won't propagate leaks.

But that's kind of how it's always worked. I remember back when we were awaiting TS3 SPN, and the people who'd gotten to play it in advance had a strict schedule of when they could release certain info or not. Sure, they could've leaked stuff early, but then (at best) they'd never be invited back again. Back in pre-TS2 AL days, TSR had to yank their preview footage of the baby toys that later ended up in the TS2 Store.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
After seeing the way simcity was, i think Maxis and EA must somehow think everything is stored in the cloud, meaning they think you can travel to gamescom, and everyone will be in a cloud so its not packed.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire

But that's kind of how it's always worked. I remember back when we were awaiting TS3 SPN, and the people who'd gotten to play it in advance had a strict schedule of when they could release certain info or not. Sure, they could've leaked stuff early, but then (at best) they'd never be invited back again. Back in pre-TS2 AL days, TSR had to yank their preview footage of the baby toys that later ended up in the TS2 Store.

Yeah, but back in those days they were called fan events or something similar. This happened straight from the formal announcement of the game.

It was "we chose these sites to participate in this event because of x and y" and now it's more like "these are our best friends and they get to know everything before you and we will regard their opinions on the game over yours."

At least that's what I got from the conference call. Maybe I'm a little bitter... maybe.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:47 AM
I hate it when a great news site chooses to sell out.
Page 1 of 5