Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 7:01 PM
Default What I think about the new Sims' appearance.
Brace yourself for impact!

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 1:37 AM
I agree!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 1:45 AM
I disagree. I think they look nice, other than the hair and more like Sims 3 than Sims 2. The huge eyes are gone, the bad shading, the elongated face...and unlike Sims 3 sims they are not as cheeky and the forehead seems to be not as wide. The nose is much better shaded and defined also. Of course, we all see what we want to see.

The hair though is awful and some pictures I have seen of the lower legs look rather blocky.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:33 AM
Hmm...just noticed how the lashes look with Sims 2 and in comparison with Sims 4. Goodness, I have played with CC too long, forgot how drawn in the lashes look. Oh well, now I see how people see the Sims 2 when they look at the Sims 4 sims. I will definitely have to wait for CC to come in before I can play it.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 4:58 AM
I agree. I'm actually really liking Sims 4's art style so far.

The hair's a bit blocky, I suppose, but I really don't give a shit.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 5:15 AM
Yeah, those lashless eyes are not very pretty but I used CC for Sims 2 and Sims 3 so not too worried. My guess is the lack of 3d lashes was to lower the polys of the characters. Too bad. Those spidery drawn on lashes never looked all that great to me.
Alchemist
#7 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 5:52 AM
Oh no! I hope others don't feel the need to make new threads for their opinion on the new Sims' appearances...it's hard enough keeping up with the other threads!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#8 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:54 AM Last edited by babele44 : 27th Aug 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Well, I don't mind an extra thread that focuses on the Sims' appearance and not their clothes, or graphics in general.

So this is a picture I grabbed from TSR:

Source:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/cont...8/page/5/***/5/

Nothing here reminds me of The Sims 3 really.

The way the body is distorted (look at the shoulders) to emphasize the animation IS cartoony. As you can see the skeleton is not rigid but flexible, almost rubber-like. I actually almost expect him to shoot out one arm and reach out all the way back to the background to slap someone with an enlarged hand. Bugs Bunny style (which I'd actually like).

The body definition is very stylised, just look at the rib cage and the abs

Although I am aware that with the sliders we can create them differently, the way that EA seem to think of their Sims is with odd proportions of the body parts: hip to pelvis to rib cage to shoulders

And so far I haven't seen a single Sim in the previews where the eyebrows did not crawl into various directions all over their face.

I know the comparison isn't very good, but I don't have any other pictures of the default skin in-game, but here's a TS3 Sim:

This body feels more organic and more "natural" in that it has a distinct volume where both body parts and surface texturings blend into each other in a more cohesive way. Of course, it is also more rigid.

While I still prefer the TS3 way, I won't pass any judgement. It's just different.
Alchemist
#9 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:11 AM
^ I actually really like the look of that first Sim, but I do wonder if Baloo the Bear is hiding in the background foliage.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44

Is that white thing in the picture a missing texture on a tree?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:26 AM
It could be a white tree. Idunno.

Personally, I really like the more cartoony look. It makes me hopeful that TS4 will return to the charm and qirkiness of TS2 and TS1.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:29 AM
I like the new sims......I actually like them more to be honest. The moment I saw the new CAS I desperately wanted to make:

Jennifer Lawrence just has the sort of face I want to make....also want to make Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) for my own simful entertainment.
#13 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Is that white thing in the picture a missing texture on a tree?
I think it's a tree covered in white blossoms and a cartload of Bloom effects poured over it.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:09 AM
Well, I don't mind an extra thread that focuses on the Sims' appearance and not their clothes, or graphics in general.

Source:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/cont...8/page/5/***/5/

Nothing here reminds me of The Sims 3 really.

The Sims 4 picture was used in a thread at the forums to give attention to the male bulge, it was larger . I thought when I first saw the picture that it reminded me of a Tarzan cartoon, the emaciated version.

I have spent 20 mins trying g to find the thread, guess the mods finally deleted it. It had over 13 pages of comments.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
#15 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
The Sims 4 picture was used in a thread at the forums to give attention to the male bulge, it was larger . I thought when I first saw the picture that it reminded me of a Tarzan cartoon, the emaciated version.

I have spent 20 mins trying g to find the thread, guess the mods finally deleted it. It had over 13 pages of comments.
I tell you a secret: that's where I found this initially , but, yes, that thread seems to have gone. Thankfully enough there was another one about Mowgli that gave me the TSR link again.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:32 AM
#17 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lemonbutter
This thread?

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9677417.page
Haha, yes, that's the one. Unfortunately, it derails rather quickly in debates over eating disorders and questions on what makes a man a man.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:38 AM
Haha, yes, that's the one. Unfortunately, it derails rather quickly in debates over eating disorders and questions on what makes a man a man.

Yep, threads like that tend to be good for the *popcorn* moments.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:39 AM
Yes, the sims looks much better but... I don't know, to me that's not a dealbreaker because they SHOULD look better! It's... at least what they can do.

Don't have much faith in The Sims franchise anymore but am naïve enough to think that someday, my plumbbob will turn green again.

Been playing since 2000
Ex-Moderator of Swedish Official site: TheSims.se (closed in 2011)
Admin of Sims UnCut

Follow: twitter.com/denkert
Mad Poster
#20 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lemonbutter
This thread?

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9677417.page

Yeah, that's the one and sadly it has been resurrected in that forum. I forget that forum.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:59 AM
In the first place i didnt like them so much, just cause i expected more realistic details, but actually they look pretty good. I still think they could have made them more realistic. and then im talking about the eyes, real eyelashes and not a thick dark line, skintones with no glance etc. BUT after all it is also very much looking like a sim, so it might work well

I just dont hope that they look different in the game, like the sims 3 did. That was way too stupid. Almost no one didnt like that jelly looking faces of the sims 3 and it made it just a bit worse when you opened them in the game, their hair was different with no any detail, the colors changed and they somehow succeeded to look more jelly then in CAS. Well, THAT should not happen in the sims 4!!!!

And although we know that this is just an alpha version of the game, im not sure if they will change much about the graphics, cause i dont remember EA showing a game early and then add a big change on graphics on the releasedate. The sims 3 didnt change much after the first pics we saw.. it actually looked worse to me in the real game..

If im looking to the pics, imnot sure if im watching a cartoon on the tv channel or that i might like the new gamestyle.. guess we have to see more and see how the sims move and interact in their new evironment
Instructor
#22 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 11:31 AM
Yes, I always wondered why the Sims 3 Sims looked so different in CAS than they do ingame.

I remember I downloaded a few Sims which were actually well done without the pudding look. I put in all the recommended sliders and such and some of them looked decent. Then as soon as I put them in the neighbourhood they look different! Why is this? By the way, it cannot be because of my computer because I can play any game out there right now on high settings.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 3:41 PM
Oh my...he rather looks like a character from "The Incredibles" with a stretched out torso. Of course he must be the starving cousin because his ribs are showing, very un-disney like, and his arms and legs look too thin to carry that torso. Very out of proportion. I hope this is a picture of how much we can modify the body and not the norm. I rather liked the Sims in the trailer but this scares me.

Yes, I know..everyone has their own style....I will reserve judgement until I know whether we can undo this.

Also, that guy must be in Hidden Springs. The green is blinding.
Theorist
#24 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 4:31 PM
I'm sure you can shape the body however you want. Shaping the body appears to be as versatile and variable as shaping sim faces.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 5:04 PM
I hoped for a more realistic style but still never mind, there is always sims 5 for that.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Page 1 of 5