Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 4:20 PM Last edited by residenteviloutbreak : 16th Aug 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Default Lets Analyze the screenshots
This is a topic to analyze the screenshots that leaked of The Sims 4.

Lets get started:

Screenshot 1: "Kissing Spaceship"

In this screenshot, we can see 2 sims kissing. (Which, is obviously using an animation ripped out of TS3). However, what can be seen here is that a small rocket is located behind the 2 sims. Could this be:

A. A usable vehicle? (One of the TS4 devs said they would like to have the sims 4 on a different planet...)
OR
B. A simple reference to The Sims 3 time travel EP. (Only functions as a decorative item)

Screenshot 2: "Flirt-A-Thon"

In this screenshot, we have 2 points to look at. One is of the kissing animation, and the other is of the 2 sims chatting.

In the red circle, we can see an animation directly lifted from TS3. (Typical).
In the blue, we can see a couple things:

1. The facial expressions are all new.
2. The guys all look a bit more "Real" with their skinnier heads and necks compared to TS3 guys.

Now, the guys necks are actually something of a good thing. I clearly remember one of the largest complaints of TS3 was that almost all guys faces and necks looked "Chubby", no matter how skinny the guy was. Seems it was fixed, and the guys look a bit similar (From behind), to The Sims 2 guys. ( I can even slightly see a bit of a resemblance to The Urbz guys too).

Screenshot 3: UI

In the third Screen, we have the UI. The UI is massively overhauled from the 3 previous titles, and now appears to sport several things never before seen. Lets get started on this one:

Top Red Circle: In the red circle, we see the top of the UI. This appears to sport all the games new social features. Clearly seen from left to right is is a photo of your sim, screenshot button, Gift button, Collectibles button, Money counter (Which is clearly hacked), a news button, an inbox button, a chat button, a friends button, a leader board button, an achievements button, An unknown button, a help button, and finally, an options button. These appear to on the left, be game related. On the right however, seem to mostly be about social stuff.

Now the green circle: In this circle, we have the new actions area where all sim actions are in the process.

Yellow circle: A photo of your current sim, and under it, shows his/her motive counters. It also appears to show a relationship panel and quick phone access.

Blue Circle: The essential speed buttons have returned. It also appears the camera button is also with it. The clock is located under these.

Lower red circle: It would appear that changing sim clothing is now going to be more simple than before, simply by a push of a button. A button in the shape of a shirt is present, possibly confirming this theory. Next to it, is an options button of some kind, a neighborhood button, and a video button.

Screenshot 4: Build Mode

The future of build mode! It would appear that the wall placement feature is slightly expanded. (Red circle), and a new menu is available (Green circle).

Render 1: All characters

In this render, we appear to have more diverse groups of people. Possibly like the Faction system in The Urbz?
On the left we have an artist, next we have the nerds, then the Jocks, then the "Goody Goody" rich sims, then more jocks, then finally, Preps. Could diverse and more social areas of the games world be available, to where you are supposed to fit in? (Like the Urbz).

Observed Facts:
Looking at screenshots, these are features that can be speculated to be included in TS4:

Returning:
- Objects at an angle
- Many furniture shown is also in TS3
- TS3 Animations

New:
- More diverse social features
- More unique personalities
- Return to the "Cartoon Style" graphics seen in TS1,TS2 and original console trilogy (TS1,TSB-O,Urbz).

To be continued... more observations are welcome.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 4:39 PM
I think the first group of "jocks" actually is a star and his fangirls. The high boots on the left woman don't strike me as directly sporty. Oh, and I just noticed that the last three couples are all the same characters. I hope they're not trying to replace the legend that is Bella and Mortimer.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TigerAnne
I think the first group of "jocks" actually is a star and his fangirls. The high boots on the left woman don't strike me as directly sporty. Oh, and I just noticed that the last three couples are all the same characters. I hope they're not trying to replace the legend that is Bella and Mortimer.

Perhaps... these are their descendants?
We all know old families are going to return. They always do.

Perhaps those 2 are the goths grand children?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:25 PM
If this is from the actual the game then I will make the comment of that this graphics look worse than sims 3 and sims 2. It looks more like sims 1 than any other games this is worrying and it is not showing any other life state on them.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:32 PM Last edited by varpunen : 16th Aug 2013 at 5:44 PM.
While trying to analyze the group pic, I keep stopping to stare at their hair, especially the blond. Her hair looks like moulded plastic, instead of being realistic. Perhaps others like that kind of texture but I do wish it won't end up in the final product. I had already hoped a step-up from the Sims 3.
Theorist
#6 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:38 PM
I don't like the molded plastic hair textures either (though I do like the styles). I think that's probably what it will end up looking like, though. The lack of detail in the hair texture in these images is consistent with the hair in the eyes image from awhile back.

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 7:54 PM
There may be a reason for the graphics being "Low poly".

Look at almost all of EA`s games released last year...
Every single one of them can run on a PC from 2001.

For example, look at dead space 3`s system requirements.

Basically, EA is trying to let people with older machines play their games. I can certainly applaud them for that. EA usually went Graphics over performance. Its the other way around this time i think. Graphics do not make a game. Gameplay and performance does.
Instructor
#8 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
There may be a reason for the graphics being "Low poly".

Look at almost all of EA`s games released last year...
Every single one of them can run on a PC from 2001.

For example, look at dead space 3`s system requirements.

Basically, EA is trying to let people with older machines play their games. I can certainly applaud them for that. EA usually went Graphics over performance. Its the other way around this time i think. Graphics do not make a game. Gameplay and performance does.

Can anything else released in the past 8 or so years even run on a PC from 2001? I mean... Sure, there are people with PCs from 2001, but they have got to be about 0.0001% of the Sims players, so why cater to them?
Instructor
#9 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:19 PM
In the picture with the rocket machine thing and the kissing, it's possible that it's a weather controlling device. If you look at some of the outdoor pictures, you'll notice several sewage shafts, drains... whatever they're called, which possibly hints at rain.

Regarding the UI, I think the T-shirt stands for Buy Mode, the hammer and wrench next to it is Build mode, and the 2 houses are either Neighborhood view or Switch Households.
Inventor
#10 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
whatever they're called

Gutters.

As for the graphics and the cartoonishness, I think EA wants to attract a "broader" audience AKA kids. Being a kid, you don't really know what a good game is, (unless your mom/dad works for some gaming company and wants you to be just like them ) so they'll go to something that looks playful and fun. I'm reeeally hoping EA doesn't drop the T rating because of this.

EDIT: The nasty plastic hair is starting to bug me now. Remember in TS2 the hair would move? That game's almost 10 years old, yet EA somehow can't implement it in TS3. Hmm.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
However, what can be seen here is that a small rocket is located behind the 2 sims. Could this be:

A. A usable vehicle? (One of the TS4 devs said they would like to have the sims 4 on a different planet...)
OR
B. A simple reference to The Sims 3 time travel EP. (Only functions as a decorative item)

That rocket looks very strage. It appears to have a parking space indicator on the ground but realistically does not seem to be able to fit a sim inside it. Also doesn't appear to have a door big enough to fit a sim through it. It has lights on at night, so maybe it is a useful device after all. Could be fancy looking composting machine?
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxsoulfire123
Gutters.

As for the graphics and the cartoonishness, I think EA wants to attract a "broader" audience AKA kids. Being a kid, you don't really know what a good game is, (unless your mom/dad works for some gaming company and wants you to be just like them ) so they'll go to something that looks playful and fun. I'm reeeally hoping EA doesn't drop the T rating because of this.

EDIT: The nasty plastic hair is starting to bug me now. Remember in TS2 the hair would move? That game's almost 10 years old, yet EA somehow can't implement it in TS3. Hmm.

Well I think there were things mentioned that alluded to friends with benefits so I'd assume the T rating is staying...
Inventor
#13 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blueberrypopbloxx200
Well I think there were things mentioned that alluded to friends with benefits so I'd assume the T rating is staying...

True, but nowadays, parents are less strict on what their kids see/do.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:32 PM Last edited by Tempscire : 16th Aug 2013 at 9:49 PM.
Screenshot 2: Arching bridge in the background is nice. 2D fence railings less so.

Screenshot 4: The shadows being cast 1)only reflect the half of the house being shown and 2)exist for columns that realistically should be part of a big blob of house-shadow. (Lighting seems to come from somewhere in the middle-left area outside the picture.) Hopefully that's being refined, but it doesn't make me hopeful that they've improved the function of light across separate building floors. Edit: saw one of the other screenshots in which a streetlight does cast light on 2 floors of a house, with more light even being cast on the upper floor-- hope restored! That's still a weird shadow in this particular pic, though.

Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
If you look at some of the outdoor pictures, you'll notice several sewage shafts, drains... whatever they're called, which possibly hints at rain.

Not even getting my hopes up. They've gotten good at including decorative-but-meaningless clutter since the end days of TS2 through TS3. Though base game weather would be a big enough thing that I imagine we'll be hearing about it sooner rather than later, if it is to be included so soon.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Screenshot 4: The shadows being cast 1)only reflect the half of the house being shown and 2)exist for columns that realistically should be part of a big blob of house-shadow. (Lighting seems to come from somewhere in the middle-left area outside the picture.) Hopefully that's being refined, but it doesn't make me hopeful that they've improved the function of light across separate building floors.

i think the weird shadow are because the house is still being build and a roof hasn't been added yet
Forum Resident
#16 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
i think the weird shadow are because the house is still being build and a roof hasn't been added yet

Now that you mention it... I think you're right. The interior of the house fits with the overall lighting and shadows, and if there's no second floor, then those columns could still be getting light exposure to cast shadows. Whew. Concern alleviated!
Scholar
#17 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:20 PM
I really really dislike the AI. They need to improve it drastically.

1. What is the simoleons box doing in the top os the screen? It scares me like hell. Do we have to buy simoleons from the store now? Or maybe unlock it doing ridiculous oportunities?

2. I hate the social features of it. Ea, can you kindly remove it from the game please? All of these icons will be inutile for me because Sims is MY game and I don't wanna play it with anyone else.

3. It looks like a Facebook flash game. I just want the old AI back with new buttons and improved graphics, thanks.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:22 PM
True, but nowadays, parents are less strict on what their kids see/do.

Personally, id be interested to see how an M rated Sims title would work...
Field Researcher
#19 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:22 PM
Cartoony or not, one thing I've noticed about everything - detail. There is a hella lot of detail. I see creases. I see lines.

Also, that one couple that's shown a few times - the blonde in the red dress and the brown-haired guy in the tux - really intrigue me. I don't know why, but they just do!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:56 PM
The spaceship must be a martian rocket fit for little green people. Or gnomes. Yes, green martian gnomes.

As for the rest of the previews, I'd like to post a rant regarding the build mode, because once again they seem to remain primitive. An advanced build mode hidden by a button would be enough to cater to players who don't want to or can't use vector walls and angular plane intersections. A point-to-point wall drawing tool at least? Or even quarter-tile wall placement?
Forum Resident
#21 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 10:59 PM
Quote:
The spaceship must be a martian rocket fit for little green people.
Come on, I can't be the only person who thought sims could use the rocket to send their unwanted infants off to another planet to be raised by farmers. You know, since they can't put them up for adoption.
Inventor
#22 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
3. It looks like a Facebook flash game. I just want the old AI back with new buttons and improved graphics, thanks.

Well, the game is still being made, so there could be improvements. Maybe all these negative reactions can provoke another mysterious "server room fire". *starts thinking up conspiracy theories*
Field Researcher
#23 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:16 PM
Well, the game is still being made, so there could be improvements. Maybe all these negative reactions can provoke another mysterious "server room fire". *starts thinking up conspiracy theories*

No! I actually like the look of the game, save UI and hair.

Seriously though, the look could definitely change, although I don't want it to. Anyone remember beta TS2?

Instructor
#24 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:23 PM
Actually that picture of the Sim is much better looking than what we got ingame. But with CC I think the Sims 2 Sims look great.

I wasn't a big fan of Sims in 3 and never got used to the pudding look. Problem with 3 is, even with sliders and you managed to make a Sim that looked decent, the Sim didn't look the same ingame. Maybe most people didn't notice or aren't too fussy about this but it bugged me to no end.

I'll wait until I see them animated ingame to form a decision. Too early to say anything just yet about how they look tbh.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:27 PM
What I'm interested in is that neighborhood from the third screen showing the U.I. - please tell me this could be a Veronaville-esque neighborhood, or something interesting, like a tudor-esque town?
Page 1 of 3