Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 4:16 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Postal System
Could someone please clarify which of MogHughson's Postal system download should I use with UC? The only mailbox mod I have is the one that stops autonomous get mail to control roommates from messing with it.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=385962 Thanks!

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:56 PM
I do not have UC, but do have all EP's/SP's installed and use Mog's Postal system mod. It would seem the best option for you would be the one that WON'T clash with other mailbox hacks. If you choose to use the no clash version, below is a description of the two files you will need to download in order for the mod to work. There are a total of four files...once unzipped.

greetings-cards-system-Mog-20091223 | Description: The Greetings Card Rack, Box, Stack and Card Globals
greetings-cards-delivery-Mog-20100114| Description: The code to deliver the card at the recipient (won't clash with mailbox hacks)

Don't forget to download some greeting cards to go along with it (the 'Related Uploads' tab is a great place to look).

Good luck!

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 8:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the files but won't get to testing just yet. Still going through files to get rid of things I didn't want or didn't work to my expectations. After that, I'll start testing some things.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd May 2016 at 11:42 PM
Sure they work together. You might like to look at my businesses thread here: https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=561271 I showcase my PO using both systems.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd May 2016 at 12:25 AM
Well, I have both mods too and no problems like that reported by Gummilutt. People just have different experiences with the game (and mods) - mainly because of their particular rig set up, what mods and CC they have, which game engine their game is using - a lot of variables. It's not 100% predictable how your game will respond. The best thing you could do is simply test in a throwaway hood.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd May 2016 at 12:31 AM
What did Gummi say about it? I must have missed that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#7 Old 3rd May 2016 at 2:42 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 17th May 2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Linking the new thread
Sorry folks...realized I was getting help-type responses because this thread I was piggybacking on was...a Help thread. I've started a new one to encourage the discussion about how folks use the mod, which is what I was most hoping for.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th May 2016 at 8:33 AM
I did test these out and every thing worked as it should, with one exception. The postal parts work great (used no clash with mailbox one), the parcel post worked with no crashes or anything, the problem was sims opening the package and not receiving anything. Just an empty box to recycle. I do have a mod that owned business items bought, do not go into inventories. It's mostly fake items, but anything that can go to the inventory just goes poof. This is supposed to keep unnecessary items from taking space when the fake items don't serve a purpose. I've used the parcel post object before with no problems.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th May 2016 at 6:11 PM
Duine, thank you so much for that follow-up post. I didn't respond earlier because I was testing the systems out myself and wanted to be able to add whatever I found, but I read it and appreciated it previously.

However, now, rereading your comments again, I realize I owe you double thanks. Based on what you said, I just double-checked on my own hack to keep townie inventories from actually accepting owned-businesses purchases...and I realized that I have been playing (and thus, doing that testing) without it in! Ugh.

So thus far I've had no trouble with compatibility between MogH's system and the PCSims parcel service or postbox, but now I'm going to put my townie-inventory-defending hack of choice back in (I like Cyjon's Fake Townie Sales ) and will do further testing. More details when I am finally done, then.
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th May 2016 at 1:03 PM
Thanks, that will be helpful to know if it was the problem, if so, I can just remove that mod. Haven't been in game much lately due to doctor appointments, but added that to my list to check out later. (:

Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th May 2016 at 4:46 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 17th May 2016 at 6:28 PM.
Happy to report that I've got this testing done!

I have the UC too. Since I was testing, I just went ahead and tried both versions of the greetings-cards-delivery file that MogH provided. I somewhat wish she'd been more specific about what some of those mailbox hacks were that she was trying to avoid a conflict with, but by testing I did find that one version worked for me and the other didn't. The surprise was which was which---it was her original delivery method that worked well for me. The alternative one caused problems.

Along with MogH's postal system, tested both PCSims' postbox and their parcel service (now on the Graveyard; also, credit to @joandsarah77, whose pics a long time ago of her postal service [she mentions it again in her earlier post above] first made me aware that such things existed). It just made sense that I might as well try to get it all working together!

I had no problems with using all three services at once, especially after I switched to MogH's original delivery code. Actually, they complement each other very nicely. MogH's cards arrive in the mailbox, and they don't come until the mail carrier next arrives on your lot. The PCSims stuff immediately is placed in the recipient sim's inventory, without being tied to your hood's mail carrier. Either way, though, your final access to the letter, card, or parcel is by going into the inventory either of the addressed-recipient sim (for the PCSims stuff) or of the sim who fetched the mail from the box (MogH's cards).

Quote: Originally posted by Duine
...the parcel post worked with no crashes or anything, the problem was sims opening the package and not receiving anything. Just an empty box to recycle. I do have a mod that owned business items bought, do not go into inventories. It's mostly fake items, but anything that can go to the inventory just goes poof.

Definitely wanted to see what I came up with on that. Did not ever reproduce that problem. Admittedly, I specifically was staying away from mods that would interfere with items getting added to playables' inventories. However, here are all the details from what I did try/find there.

So Duine, perhaps switching to Cyjon's mod will indeed solve your problems with the parcel service. If you don't want playables to be generated at your shops (so that they cannot shop, which gets around the problem of them filling their inventories), you can ban them, whether lot by lot using Visitor Controller or by using Pescado's no playable shoppers.

Because the PCSims items do not come with documentation, I am starting a separate thread to provide a makeshift manual for their use.

Doing all this gave me tons of ideas about how both MogH's greeting cards and the PCSims stuff could be incorporated in my gameplay! I'm going to try my best to share those more gameplay-related ideas in the appropriate threads: the ones for MogH's brilliant system in this thread that I'd previously started, and then the ideas specific to the PCSims service and postbox already appear in the newer thread, in the above paragraph.

Credit for making my testing much easier:
Neder's Day Setter hacked vase, which allowed me to get around the fact that most of my hood started my testing period on Saturday afternoon, after mail had already been delivered for the weekend
The sethour cheat, which allowed me to shortcut households to much closer to mail-delivery time.