Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#1601 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
Right now I think they're highlighting the changes and not droning on about the older bits. I personally didn't like CASt too much.. I hardly ever used. I'd just plop stuff down and call it good lol. I think it also means they're going to have smarter recolors so aren't stuck with the fringe crazy patterns immediately and are more able to mix and match without certain pieces sticking out like a sore thumb.

I LOVE the multitasking, social gathering, and emotions system explanations. I'm really excited to see the game in action.

I tweeted SGGraham about it. I don't know if he can say anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Me too, the new features sound really good...at least on paper. I can't wait to see it in action.

EDIT: I posted here before? I wonder when that was.
Advertisement
Theorist
#1602 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:28 PM
But honestly I don't think they're getting rid of it, just not highlighting it when they're talking about the new game. Would you seriously read an article that outlined everything they kept from The Sims 3 and be hyped about the game? It might still be there, they just wanted to get people excited about the new features not the ones they might have carried over.

Just think about it. "We took ___ from the Sims 3 and put it in The Sims 4" ... is that an appealing sentence?

I also tweeted to him saying, "Most of the outrage stems from a lack of Create a style and the Build mode overhaul."
Test Subject
#1603 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:29 PM
Honestly I am not bothered about CASt. I never used it anyway, I just found the furniture and it was fine.

But I see how it could be seen as taking a step back from the tools given to us in TS3.
Forum Resident
#1604 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:34 PM
CASt was great for having different bedspreads (instead the same eight) and matching the bedspread to the carpets. And for making the same outfit look quite different (staid or vibrant). But what I love most about it is probably being able to match the wood on my dining room table and chairs. I really, really, hope they are replacing it with something better - I just don't see myself getting the game if I can't change colors/patterns of clothes and furniture, and have to keep getting recolors. At least, not at full price. Even if they do have furniture (and not just art) change moods, I think it's likely a mod would come out soon and make them all neutral (though modders shouldn't have to be the ones do that), but CASt is an entirely different thing.
Test Subject
#1605 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:37 PM
But honestly I don't think they're getting rid of it, just not highlighting it when they're talking about the new game. Would you seriously read an article that outlined everything they kept from The Sims 3 and be hyped about the game? It might still be there, they just wanted to get people excited about the new features not the ones they might have carried over.

Just think about it. "We took ___ from the Sims 3 and put it in The Sims 4" ... is that an appealing sentence?

I also tweeted to him saying, "Most of the outrage stems from a lack of Create a style and the Build mode overhaul."

That's true, though that German Sims magazine said outright no CASt, apparently. I'm just super curious how it will work without CASt, since I really don't want to go back to the TS2 style of dressing my sims or decorating. Hopefully they just replaced it with something better.

I agree with that. Though, to me, the new Build mode doesn't seem that bad. It seems like you can still make whatever you want.
Lab Assistant
#1606 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:38 PM

Well, in principle I would agree to this. But the article stated very clearly that CAST won't be there. The sentence even started with the German word for "Sadly". It seems like fact... maybe they... renamed it and ... wanted it to be a pleasant surprise or something :/

By the way, EA had the scans of that article removed... Not quite sure how to interpret that.
Theorist
#1607 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applepie123
Well, in principle I would agree to this. But the article stated very clearly that CAST won't be there. The sentence even started with the German word for "Sadly". It seems like fact... maybe they... renamed it and ... wanted it to be a pleasant surprise or something :/

See I read the english version as I don't speak german and didn't even see it. If anything we'll get smarter recolors like I said. Look at an ikea catalog.. I think they do a good job.
Field Researcher
#1608 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:40 PM
For me CAST was definitely an improvement in terms of home design.........so I am a bit stumped as to why that wouldn't continue to be a feature, but I'll wait and see for next week. Maybe it is there and someone got their information wrong, or there is some new alternative.
Lab Assistant
#1609 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:41 PM
See I read the english version as I don't speak german and didn't even see it. If anything we'll get smarter recolors like I said. Look at an ikea catalog.. I think they do a good job.

There is an English version besides the one I translated? Because I think it's the German Sims magazine that printed this, and they don't run the same articles as the English version(s)?
Theorist
#1610 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by applepie123
There is an English version besides the one I translated? Because I think it's the German Sims magazine that printed this, and they don't run the same articles as the English version(s)?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...815#post4218815

The english article I meant. Sorry.
Instructor
#1611 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:44 PM
Does anyone have a link to the PDF to the magazine? I'd like to read the article.
Instructor
#1612 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:46 PM
Just tweeted Graham "@SimGuruGraham Most definitely would love to shop for clothes in the Sims 4! And please don't tell me Create a Style is a no go? "
Test Subject
#1613 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 8:47 PM
Are there any scans of the German article? I'd like to see it, if possible.
Field Researcher
#1614 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:00 PM
If there is no CASt in TS4, I'm sure someone will make CASt tool.
Lab Assistant
#1615 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mera Benzema

think you're overestimating the abilities of the modding community i doubt that'd be possible
Forum Resident
#1616 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mera Benzema

That would rather heavily depend on how recolors are implemented in TS4, wouldn't it? I mean, no one's retroactively jerry-rigged a CASt for TS2, and I suspect they never will, because the infrastructure to support it isn't there.

...Surely they wouldn't regress that much though (i.e. 2 max recolorable channels, no texture sharing outside respositoried objects). Surely.
Lab Assistant
#1617 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vss2eip
Does anyone have a link to the PDF to the magazine? I'd like to read the article.

Quote: Originally posted by Allspice
Are there any scans of the German article? I'd like to see it, if possible.

Here, for example
Test Subject
#1618 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shante090
Here, for example

That's the English one, apparently the German one is different. Thanks though, I wanted to read the English one again too.
Forum Resident
#1619 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thelook
Sorry, that was a spelling mistake on my part. I was quoting from the magazine. I just think there's something off about them calling it an avatar.
I don't even notice anymore - they did so much of it when they were talking online play. They cannot seem to grasp that my sim is not me. I've never even created a simself. Actually, they seem to have trouble grasping that I play with multiple house-holds. I want to play entire neighborhoods/worlds, not just one sim.
Scholar
#1620 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:25 PM Last edited by 9b8ll : 16th Aug 2013 at 9:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by shante090
Here, for example
Sweet, Thank you so much for that article!!

Edit: Damn, few post pages too late, thanks TMBrandon and Honeywell
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1621 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:40 PM
Did Graham actually ask if we wanted both Sandbox gameplay and shopping? Of all people, I'd expect Graham to know a little something about what fans want, consider he's the only guru to come here and wade through out endless sea of complaints.

You're damn right we want shopping. For him to ask that left a bad taste in my mouth. The Sims is a Life Simulator. We either send a Sim to the store to shop for groceries, clothes, whatever, or we've given option to produce the goods ourselves, like making clothing or growing food, etc. like real people do.

Also, I haven't seen a car or garage yet. I've seen a violin a few time, a cupcake machine and possibly a space heater. Not a car.

Edit: And why remove CAST - TS3 is filled to the brim with flaws, but CAST was not only well received, but it was handy and always worked. That's probably one of the worst moves made. The amount of creativity used with the tool was amazing! I can't go back to a folder of recolors...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#1622 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:42 PM
Holy shit, I'm busy for three days and don't check any Sims-related stuff and come back to all this.

I just read through 20+ pages and a bunch of articles, so my head hasn't taken in all of this quite yet.

When I first saw it, my jaw dropped, and not really in a good way. I thought that the game was wayyy too cartoony. But after looking at the pictures for a bit, I actually like them now. I wish the cartoonyness was dragged down just a touch, but the Sims seem very expressive and something that I can actually have fun with, rather than just go "Oooh! Pretty!" That being said, I think they are pretty.

The pictures just sorta give me a happy, whimsy feeling and reminds me of TS2. The game looks like it has a bunch of charm and quirks and I love that. The neighborhood looks absolutely adorable and it just really looks like a game I want to play. I really hope the developers aren't discouraged by all the negative comments. All the complaining is actually kinda pissing me off (not so much here, but on the main forums) The game looks good, even though I was a bit surprised at first because I thought it was just too cartoony. Looking at it more, it looks like a polished TS2, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Only thing that needs changing - UI, big time. Now that is bad. Hair could use some work but I could live with it. But I am loving everything else.

Only 4 more days til Gamescom. I can't wait to actually see the sims in action, aka a trailer.
Instructor
#1623 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:42 PM
I'm beginning to think that we are getting an entirely different sort of game. I mean when Sims 3 came out most of us was expecting the game to be an upgrade from Sims 2 which in a sense it was and it wasn't. Sims 3 is fairly different, different enough that I still play Sims 2 and not 3, because even though it is older it suits my playstyle better.

So, my bet is that Sims 4 is going to go in an entirely different direction with features of the previous games thrown in. They may not include certain features simply because the aim of the game might be different. Thoughts?

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Field Researcher
#1624 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
I'm beginning to think that we are getting an entirely different sort of game. I mean when Sims 3 came out most of us was expecting the game to be an upgrade from Sims 2 which in a sense it was and it wasn't. Sims 3 is fairly different, different enough that I still play Sims 2 and not 3, because even though it is older it suits my playstyle better.

So, my bet is that Sims 4 is going to go in an entirely different direction with features of the previous games thrown in. They may not include certain features simply because the aim of the game might be different. Thoughts?

Agree - TS4 seems like something new and different. I think that's good. It does include some stuff like aspirations (from what I've read) but the overall game seems different.

I'm not really getting a TS2 v. 2 vibe, more like "really inspired by TS2". And I don't get any TS3 vibe, which for me, is very, very good.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#1625 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie

Agreed, this isn't Sims2andahalf. Or even3andahalf. It is TheSims4. I just want to play with my sim families and let the game engine do the rest. Normally. I like to build, so the build tools are scaring me the most.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Locked thread
Page 65 of 817