Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#1851 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 10:37 PM
i seriously doubt we'll only control one sim, it is, afterall, called the simS. plus, taking a look at this screen:

there's a tiny photo of him in the top left corner, and i imagine if there were multiple sims in the household, there'd be more portraits below his. why else would it be there?
Advertisement
Scholar
#1852 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:24 PM
After reading through this all, I'm going to take a guess as to why CaST has been eliminated: the whole emotions thing. Like, if you had a couch that was supposed to make you feel sad, but you re-colored it to be all pastels, that wouldn't really make sense. Also, if you had an outfit designed for goth sims, but you re-colored it pale pink and purple, that wouldn't make sense. If there was a skirt designed for preppy sims and you recolored all their items to black, that might also not make sense.

At least, that's what I'm thinking. Idk, I'm probably wrong.

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1853 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:27 PM
A gift, for my beloved forumers. Enjoy.

If someone wants to make a better version, feel free.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#1854 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:28 PM
matrix, aren't ya updating the first post with all the new information?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1855 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
matrix, aren't ya updating the first post with all the new information?

I'm waiting for gamescom, when there's more stuff to add.

Mad Poster
#1856 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:30 PM Last edited by lewisb40 : 17th Aug 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Thanks Matrix! I will make that my new signature at the forums.

I think Matrix is waiting until the Gamescon information comes out first, I would.

Already stated. Oops, too slow.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#1857 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I'm waiting for gamescom, when there's more stuff to add.

Yeah, that's prolly wise, and who knows if we're here crazy with these leaked stuff and it's actually fake/old/alpha. haha
Field Researcher
#1858 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by YukiShine
With EA's development habĂ­ts, shouldn't they start to work on TS5 by now? Maybe TS5 is going to be what TS4 should have been, as in a step up from TS3 - maybe even from TS2, but let's not get too optimistic.
For TS4 they wasted years developing an online RPG type game. It still shows, unfortunately. If they start working on TS5 about now, they already know online won't work. So maybe a lot more energy can be put to good use in developing features that actually work...

So, even if I not only skip TS3, but also TS4 (which is not yet decided, but rather likely), I still won't give up the franchise.

I really don't think EA's that smart. They're probably making TS5 online since they probably think people will except it by then.
Scholar
#1859 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:18 AM
Thanks for that image, matrix!! Am loving that - gonna use that whenever I can :D

...Titanium white...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1860 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:24 AM
I'm hoping it spreads like wildfire. His face really is perfect for such a meme. :p

Forum Resident
#1861 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:25 AM

It looks like the hand of the girl is his and he was doing the sassy "whatever" gesture...

Kudaku lari gagah berani~
Lab Assistant
#1862 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:27 AM
I think I saw somewhere on the official forums that most of the images were from alpha period, hoping anyway.
Inventor
#1863 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bihem
I think I saw somewhere on the official forums that most of the images were from alpha period, hoping anyway.

Most of the images are from the new unreleased the sims 4 website so you can consider the design is almost final.

EDIT: The UI may change, since the only screenshot featuring the UI wasn't in the sims4 website. Probably they removed to avoid all the speculation before the final version of the game.
Theorist
#1864 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
Most of the images are from the new unreleased the sims 4 website so you can consider the design is almost final.

I have a fringe theory about the site. It's a production blog so it's usually locked down. If you try to access it via cache now it gives you an IP error. Now.. why would a site that you need a specific IP to access be available to everyone for day and a half after server maintenance?

It's likely an internal site that they allowed everyone else access to pre-magazine. A controlled leak that has since been fixed.

Day 1 - OMG IMAGES! These cannot be real or final..
Day 2 - Guess they were real, same images were used for the magazine.
Lab Assistant
#1865 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jeffrompas
It looks like the hand of the girl is his and he was doing the sassy "whatever" gesture...

Dunno where you live, but around here that's a very, very rude hand gesture. The man's face, however, reminds me of that grey dog watching the bikini-clad dancing sims in one of the TS3 Pets trailers.

Okay, so, CASt for objects isn't discarded yet, but dangerously close to being so, due to the scripted emotional reactions sims will/might have to them.

There is evidence for family playing.

There's an open world, probably with shopping for more than just food.

There is a new build mode similar to that of the TS2 opening video (blocks of rooms), and the same old build tools. No evolution whatsoever, which is a pity.

And, so far, while the graphics look fit for a tablet, they might be mid-detail settings of early builds, so high-quality settings would extract better looks.

Jumping on the SimGuru thank-you bandwagon, it's gratifying to see an actual person reading comments and complaints outside focus groups and contracted market studies. Everyone wants their own version of "The Perfect Sims Game", but deep down we all must realize there are limitations and design decisions made which make that perfection impossible.
Theorist
#1866 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:03 AM
I think the graphics we'll get will likely be closer to that of the "wut?" guy. Those are pretty decent imo. It shows that stylized or not you can make realistic proportions and they will look.. realistic. Unlike doing things with the sims 3.. even if you made 'em look realistic as soon as you got out of CAS they went to derpy neutral sim face. Or at least I had that issue.
Inventor
#1867 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:05 AM Last edited by douglasveiga : 18th Aug 2013 at 1:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
I have a fringe theory about the site. It's a production blog so it's usually locked down. If you try to access it via cache now it gives you an IP error. Now.. why would a site that you need a specific IP to access be available to everyone for day and a half after server maintenance?

It's likely an internal site that they allowed everyone else access to pre-magazine. A controlled leak that has since been fixed.

Day 1 - OMG IMAGES! These cannot be real or final..
Day 2 - Guess they were real, same images were used for the magazine.

Yes, it gives the impression of unfinished "production blog" or something like that because the page doesn't have any design or structure. but if you had visited the page (not the cached one) you would see a fully functional and ready to release thesims4 website, featuring those images.

(sorry, i don't speak english very well)

Edit: spell check
Theorist
#1868 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
Yes, it gives the impression of unfinished "production blog" or something like that. but if you had visited the page (not the cached one) you would see a fully function and ready to release thesims4 website.

(sorry, i don't speak english very well)

yeah now the uncached version says invalid ip as well. Before it just re-directed.
Lab Assistant
#1869 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
...stylized or not you can make realistic proportions and they will look.. realistic. Unlike doing things with the sims 3...

Agreed, and so far it looks as if the hair doesn't clip, rather it moves along with the sims' body? One shot of a group lounging in their parlour room had long-haired females, and their tresses (locks of hair?) conformed to the body position.
Forum Resident
#1870 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Those walls are not a different height. The windows are quite short and are placed at the bottom of the wall which gives the impression of higher walls. We had similar windows in TS2.

I dunno...the ceiling height looks tall to me relative to the size of the furniture (and therefore the corresponding size of the Sims who would use it). Imagine a Sim standing next to one of those windows. There'd be a huge amount of space between their head and the ceiling, assuming a Sim's height is not greater than the height of that window, especially if it's low-hung.

Also, not that this is a good indicator, but in a larger version of that image, you can see that the ceiling light's support doesn't seem to extend all the way to where the ceiling would be (but they've botched ceiling lights like that before, so...).
Theorist
#1871 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by geerchsim88
Agreed, and so far it looks as if the hair doesn't clip, rather it moves along with the sims' body? One shot of a group lounging in their parlour room had long-haired females, and their tresses (locks of hair?) conformed to the body position.

I noticed that too. Maybe since it's more blocky than just a mess of planes it can be parented to a certain group of vertices and drape over it realistically. I haven't messed with hair a bunch personally. My last model had a basic non-drapey ponytail.

As pretty as plane based hairs with alphas are, they usually sit on top or hover over the body in most instances or clip through it like mentioned above. It irks me.
Inventor
#1872 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:52 AM
I'm having a lot of fears about this right now. Hopefully Gamescon will resolve a lot of questions that I have.

Too bad I don't have like a billion dollars to put into developing a game of my own. :P

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Forum Resident
#1873 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 1:57 AM

This is now a new meme. Im going to use it on every stupid facebook post.
Forum Resident
#1874 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tinewashere
i seriously doubt we'll only control one sim, it is, afterall, called the simS. plus, taking a look at this screen:

there's a tiny photo of him in the top left corner, and i imagine if there were multiple sims in the household, there'd be more portraits below his. why else would it be there?

Sorry for the DP, but i want to chime in. That bar on top looks to be more dedicated to social features... perhaps its a place holder for our Origin account photo?
Instructor
#1875 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaylo
After reading through this all, I'm going to take a guess as to why CaST has been eliminated: the whole emotions thing. Like, if you had a couch that was supposed to make you feel sad, but you re-colored it to be all pastels, that wouldn't really make sense. Also, if you had an outfit designed for goth sims, but you re-colored it pale pink and purple, that wouldn't make sense. If there was a skirt designed for preppy sims and you recolored all their items to black, that might also not make sense.

At least, that's what I'm thinking. Idk, I'm probably wrong.

At first I more or less agreed with this, but personally, I think the developers are probably smarter than to tie emotions to mundane objects like that. The magazine preview, for instance, only ever mentioned paintings as being something to influence a sim's mood. With any luck, only specific, choice objects will have an effect, and they'll be the sort of thing where the CASt stuff wouldn't have an effect.
Locked thread
Page 75 of 817