Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 10:05 PM Last edited by pginri : 21st Sep 2014 at 9:00 AM.
Sims 1 deluxe edition on win 8.1?
I recently found up an old copy of the sims 1 deluxe editon, and I tried to install it on my laptop (which is a 64-bit windows 8.1) and the installer won't even run! I've tried running as admin, compatibility mode, and so far have had no luck! Does anyone have any insight on how to fix this?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 7:48 AM Last edited by nurny : 21st Sep 2014 at 8:07 AM.
Windows 3.1??

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 8:59 AM
Thank you. That image will now haunt my nightmares forever. Now, how exactly will an image of Thomas The Tank Engine help me to install The Sims 1 Deluxe Edition on my computer which has windows 8.1 (not 3.1, if you look at the thread name, you can see that it was just a typo that I have now corrected) ?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 4:10 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Are you running the installer by going in and opening it, or are you using autoplay? Which file are you running?

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nurny
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Are you running the installer by going in and opening it, or are you using autoplay? Which file are you running?

I am in fact going into the directory and running the setup executable (because autoplay doesn't seem to work on win 8).
And i've tried running as admin.
And compatibility mode for win 98 (and xp).
And so far, nothing works! I just cannot get this installer to run!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 6:03 PM
When you open it, does it show up in Task Manager? (Right click on taskbar or hit Ctrl+Alt+Del) And I know you've tried compatibility, but do it with Run as admin and Windows XP service pack 3.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 7:54 PM
When you open it, does it show up in Task Manager? (Right click on taskbar or hit Ctrl+Alt+Del) And I know you've tried compatibility, but do it with Run as admin and Windows XP service pack 3.

XP Service Pack 3 was the XP that I was referring to in my last post.
And no, it does not show up in the Task Manager.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 10:53 PM
Does the disc make a noise when you launch setup? Try following the steps listed here. It's for Sims 2, but much of what it says is helpful in any case.

Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:18 AM Last edited by talene : 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:31 AM.
The sims Deluxe installs. I would suspect that the original sims disk would give you problems, because iirc, I could barely get it to install on XP even, which is why I bought the sims deluxe at the time.

edit: d'oh, you were asking about the Deluxe edition. Long day at work, sorry. So, this doesn't help you but I have windows 8,.1 and it installed for me just fine. When I put in the disk, a little blue box popped up asking me what I wanted to do with this disk and I chose "run setup.exe." Sorry you're having trouble.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:11 PM
Thanks talene. I could get the complete collection to install just fine on 8.1, and the original disk to work on 64-bit 7 (wasn't able to try 8, long story short my asshole sister broke it).

@pginri, not to seem like I think you don't know what a computer is, but are you sure you're not on Windows RT 8.1?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 2:00 AM
Thanks talene. I could get the complete collection to install just fine on 8.1, and the original disk to work on 64-bit 7 (wasn't able to try 8, long story short my asshole sister broke it).

@pginri, not to seem like I think you don't know what a computer is, but are you sure you're not on Windows RT 8.1?

Wait, there are 2 different versions of win 8.1? Well then, what's the difference between them?
Field Researcher
#12 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 2:31 AM
There's 3, actually. RT is the one on Surface and some laptops, it really only runs apps from the store. I think it can run desktop apps, but only sorta. Then there's regular Windows 8.1, which is the normal one you'll find on most computers, and 8.1 Pro, which comes with Office and all the sooper speshul deluxe stuff (animated wallpaper, media center, etc.)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 3:25 AM
There's 3, actually. RT is the one on Surface and some laptops, it really only runs apps from the store. I think it can run desktop apps, but only sorta. Then there's regular Windows 8.1, which is the normal one you'll find on most computers, and 8.1 Pro, which comes with Office and all the sooper speshul deluxe stuff (animated wallpaper, media center, etc.)

Oh, well, in that case, I have the standard win 8.1.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pginri
Oh, well, in that case, I have the standard win 8.1.

I figured as much, but it never hurts to check.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 9:20 PM Last edited by pginri : 25th Sep 2014 at 3:47 PM.
I figured as much, but it never hurts to check.

Also, I have tried quite a few of the tips given in the page you linked earlier. Still no luck
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 12:11 AM
It's been a week, sorry for being so late to respond, but I really have nothing else. You're probably just going to have to buy a new copy, or try it on another computer.