View Single Post in: Make Me a Model! - Winner Announced!

The other one
Original Poster
#322 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Astraea Nevermore
(Note: I know that the format may look pretty weird on this one. It's what here in Italy we call a "6x3"... a huge horizontal poster you generally see on the streets, 6x3 metres being the *real* size. Dunno if the orange line on the bottom is considered to be "too much Photoshop" D: if it is, I'll remove it! )

Quote: Originally posted by ChloroformDreams
@missroxor: I was just wondering what the rules are as far as Photoshop for this round, cause I'm a little confused looking at some of the pics. I thought we were only allowed to adjust brightness/contrast and add text. I'm interpreting this as I shouldn't even sharpen my pics. Like Astraea, I just want clarification because I don't want to get dinged points in judging, but if we are allowed a little more freedom with PS this round, I'd like to know.

No problem. I've written up a more in-depth guide to the rules of using photoshop. If I've missed anything let me know.

Tonal changes: (For all images) Yes I initially allowed greyscale and sepia tones but didn't mention other tones because tbh, it didn't occur to me that some of you might want to use other colours. I'm ok with you making the image grey scale, sepia, or any other tone you want if you feel it adds to the image/mood but the rule is that the whole image has to change ie in your image editor you should "Select All" and not just highlight/colour individual bits. You should also apply what I've said previously about greyscale and sepia which is that you should think carefully before using it, does it go with the theme/mood?

Sharpening/blurring(For all images) No I personally am not a fan of this in contests just because I think people have a tendancy to over-use it and sometimes end up ruining a perfectly good image so this is not allowed.

image levels*(For all images) Yes This is allowed because a lot of people have issues with screen shots coming out very dark. No inverts though please, keep it reasonable.
*Image levels is basically adjusting contrast and brightness.

Text and borders - may include a text box(For all images) Yes You can add text to any image as a title for example or if you wish to add a small quote or something but make sure it doesn't get in the way of viewing the image. You should use it only if you think it enhances the image. Unless otherwise stated (like in Round 2, client 2) you cannot be deducted points for not adding text but may be deducted points for adding text that detracts from the overall image.

Add ons (For Round 2 Client 2) Yes - Round 2, Client 2 Only unless specified By this I mean any layers you add to the image to make banners, slogans etc. If this requires a big box or stripes orwhatever that's fine for this task specifically as long as it's part of the slogan or logo and not something that's photoshopped into the image (ie you can't just photoshop a cat on to your image to sit on your sim's lap because you don't have one in game). So yes, astraea, your banner is fine.

Size and proportion: (For Round 2 Client 2) Yes - Round 2, Client 2 Only unless specified The image can be any proportions you want really since it's supposed to be a poster or advertisement and they come in all shapes and sizes.

Mosaics (For Round 2 Client 2) Yes - Round 2, Client 2 Only unless specified Since many posters or newspaper ads often have picture in picture or are made up of multiple pictures this is allowed for this assignment. As always, be sure that the effect is beneficial to your entry (ie a judge may deduct points if he/she thinks your entry is overcrowded for the sake of having lots of pics etc).

UPDATE ON SCORES
Just to let you all know, the scores are almost entirely done, we're just waiting on one judge to give 2 sets of scores. It wasn't their fault, when 'modyourpanties' went down thismorning two of the contestants images dissapeared and he/she wasn't able to see them before he/she went offline. We've had comments from one of the EJs and Wicked_Poppies has kindly offered to finish up his comments too. I hope you're all prepared for a lot of reading: you wanted feedback and you're getting it by the bucketload!

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller