View Single Post in: Sea, Sky and Light parameters- let's learn!

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#181 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PoisonFrog
Mainly, I want to know if I should still package according to Claeric...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=388840
and if I make them as packages, will I still be able to easily embed them into a world file, later?

For making an override, Clearic's method of editing the basegame ini files would still work, but you would need to manually change the RGB values. If you are planning to import these files to a world in future, I would go for the EP colour ramps and ini files rather than modding the basegame inis. The main reason for this is that this is the way EA have done sea/sky overrides for all of their worlds, so there may be a performance advantage. Also, anything EA have used in their worlds will most likely work with future EPs too, so that's a good reason to do it that way. The colour ramps work fine when bundled with the ini files into a package, and you can just import the contents of that package into a world at a later time.

Another thing I'd like to do is make a precision(better backdrop) color ramp designer as a layered PSD file, where you could add gradients and slide them laterally to adjust the timing and focus(among other things) of custom made gradients.

That's a good idea, but it's already quite easy to select an individual gradient in a DDS to change it. Remember that they are small files; each gradient is only a few pixels high. If you make a PSD then users will need to flatten that image to make their DDS, as using the wrong format for these ramps can crash the game!

I'm curious as to why the ini files fail to load at times(save game and weather change). I had this happen numerous times at first, then made a set of ini's with only the probabilities and daytime blooms altered...in 5 weeks these have never failed to load.

It seems to be just the cloud pattern that fails to load; the colour ramps, weather intervals and lighting settings load fine. It's a bug that happens with the EA worlds too (France and Lunar Lakes are two I can think of where I've particularly noticed it). So if you only change daytime bloom then you won't notice it!

Interesting that you can use altered Medieval files, too...

The weather files seem to be mostly similar, but there are a few files in Tamlo31's download which do not seem to exist in the Sims 3 files, especially when imported into worlds.