View Single Post in: Apartment Mania

Instructor
#493 Old 6th Aug 2018 at 4:12 PM
Default Round 3 - Cubis Tower

Cubis Tower is a 6-story tower on a 2x3 lot, although technically there are 8 different levels here: ground floor, split level, 4 floors of apartments, another communal floor and the rooftop. As I mentioned before, I had lost track of time in this round, so this building was put together in the last 15 hours before the deadline. It took me about 10 to completely build it, but I was too tired to take screenshots and post an entry then, so I'm doing it now. Sorry for being slightly late.

Anyway, as I had such a short amount of time to think of a design, I decided to make use of the "Projects" album in Pinterest (which I had made during the time my computer wasn't working lol) and get inspiration from there. I decided to use this image as my lot (and I even snatched the name from there, sorry). I only had the front façade to work it, so the back and sides were designed by me, trying to stay true to the front. The concept art had an additional floor for apartments, but time constraints meant that I had to keep the number of apartments to the minimum required.

Inside, the ground floor lobby could easily have been the lobby of a hotel, with plenty of comfortable seating and plants, as well as some chess tables. If tenants want to embarass themselves in front of the other occupants of the building, the landlord has also provided a contrabass. Either way, each Saturday the landlord hosts a party and a professional musician is hired to play. The ground floor also has two bathrooms. Outside, residents have access to the building's pool. The hallways were kept simple, with some seating, some plants and vending machines on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The fifth floor has a secondary lobby, with some more seating and plants. Throughout the common areas, the colours chosen were light wood tones and cool colours, with nature and the ocean being the inspiration of the décor. With that in mind, the rooftop is accessible from an external staircase on the fifth floor, making for a calm place to relax. An array of solar panels is also installed on the rooftop, allowing the building to harness the beach sun and transform it into clean energy - and cheap rent!

Each unit was decorated in a different colour scheme, with the open plan kitchen, dining and living areas of each apartment having the same natural wood floor and light green wall paint. They are, from bottom to top, the 'Sea Unit', the 'Rose Unit', the 'Earth Unit' and the 'Light Unit' (respectively, blue and green, pink and green, brown, black and white). The next spoilers will show the screenshots of each unit, as well as a more in-depth description of each.

I tried to give an overall sense of cohesion to the units, while also keeping each one unique. For that matter, I tried to incorporate common decorative elements in each unit, like the wall lights that are a chain with little lamps hanging (I don't know its name in the English version, sorry). Every unit is fully furnished and has the appropriate items - fridges, stoves, phones, alarms, trash bin and/or compactor, et cetera. I think each unit has an item for every skill except Logic. For that I have placed a telescope in the rooftop and two chess tables in the lobby, which should be enough. The reason why I end up not placing Logic items in my builds is because, well, non-CC chess tables are hard to fit in modern builds, in my opinion, and telescopes don't always fit, either not having actual space or seeming out of place for the household in mind. That's why I end up having them in common areas.

As this lot was built in the last hours before the deadline, I didn't have time to playtest it. I tried to avoid potential playability problems, but I can't be sure, so I just hope I learnt enough in my two previous rounds (and my previous apartment building experiences for that matter, lol) to have successfully separated what works from what borks. Once again, sorry for being late.

I think I wrote everything I had to write. Enjoy the beach life, roommate!

EDIT: The pictures were taken in my Build/Test hood. You can see my previous two builds there. If you're sharp enough, you might even take a look at the shell I will complete for the next round in one or the other screenshot!

EDIT 2: I missed a good opportunity for a pun! If you C# enough, you can take a look at the shell! OK, I'll walk myself out...

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!