Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 2:35 PM Last edited by LilSister : 14th Dec 2011 at 4:49 PM.
Default Looking for Information about Apartment Controller Issues
Last night while playing my game my sim Natasha and her cat Princess could no longer go down the stairs. Natasha had returned home from a day of shopping went upstairs to take a shower and when she tried to go downstairs to watch TV she would proceed to the stairs and turn around. Her cat princess also had trouble going down the stairs. She too would walk to the stairs and turn around. I manually placed Natasha on the first floor of her apartment and directed her to walk up the stairs. She was able to walk up the stairs but she could go back down. There was activity outside of the apartment in the common area where children's playground is located. Neighbor Danielle had about 7 piles of leave-she would rake the leaves in piles and then proceed to play in them.

I existed the lot and returned and had the same problem. I existed again and returned in debug mode and the error message stated something about problem with Apartment Controller I hit reset and entered the apartment. Still the same problem neither Natasha or Princess could go downstairs. I exited the lot and went to Danielle's apartment since Danielle was taking a bath I had her husband Maurice knock on Natasha's door. Maurice was able to enter the apartment and Natasha appeared but the apartment was empty (no furniture showing) as if no one lived there. Also there were no error messages in Danielle and Maurice's apartment. I exited and returned to Natasha apartment (still in debug mode) and the same error message about Apartment Controller, this I hit delete, when I entered the apartment sims still could not go downstairs on their own and another message stating that they must move in first to be able to access the lot. I packed up Natasha's belongings and move her out. Natasha and Princess are now in the family bin.

Please forgive the long post-I just wanted to make sure I gave a clear picture of what occurred. I looked for information online regarding Apartment Life apartment controller errors and I didn't find any or look in the correct place. Any ideas, suggestion, thoughts are welcome. Also if I have inadvertently posted in the wrong section please direct me to the right place.

***NOTE: I made a typo..Natasha and Princess are in the family bin, they are fine...lol...I left them there to decided whether or not I will move them back in the same apartment or move them to a new residence. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I make a back up copy after each game play and I also delete cache files. This was a downloaded lot from a creator on this site. This would be the second apartment complex from this creator that I've encountered a problem.*****

I've decided to play the other 2 occupied units in 3 day rotations to see if problem occurs within those units before moving Natasha and Princess back in. Meanwhile I will take the time to complete my own Apartment House-I've not had any issues with my own buildings. I never have issues with lots that I create myself. I have ceased to download custom content and I will no longer download lots since I can build them myself. Then when I have an issue will know how to fix it since I'll know how it was built and what I put in it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 2:49 PM
She didn't end up in the family bin? Oh, dear...I hope you have a recent backup!

At first I thought you were just having a problem with the stairs being blocked (that happened to me all the time in a set of apartments I built) by being falsely perceived as "in use," which is fixable by using the cheat to re-enable build mode in a sublot long enough to replace the stairs; but this sounds much more serious. I suggest searching the sticky thread on Apartments on this forum, and if you don't find anything there, doing the Game Help FAQ.

The fact that you can't find out anything specific about the Apartment Controller makes me think that it's not a routine bug, and for random errors, random bits of decayed code are the most likely culprits. The Game Help FAQ process - dump caches, test, remove downloads, test, remove SavedSims, test, and so on - is tedious, but since the results of random bad code don't make any sense it's the only way to isolate a lot of problems. And until you demonstrate that the problem must be something else by doing the FAQ, you won't engage anyone's attention in the Help forum.

Good luck. (And always back up your game!)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#3 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 3:08 PM
Here's the Help Section:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=31

You might get more help over there. And once you try to create a new topic, it will show you a FAQ, it's a good idea to try out everything written in it.

The only time I had an apartment controller issue was when I had the Financial Rights mod installed, but I'm not sure that the two are connected, and I don't want to badmouth that mod, it seems that nobody else ever had a problem with it. Besides, it wasn't only the apartment problem for me back then, all lots suffered.

And I had some damaged apartments in the past, although I have little idea why they became damaged, but they didn't recognize sims as moved in. That was cured by moving them out and moving them back in. Ultimately it had something to do with the corrupt hood, which eventually crashed on me completely. Can't help you anymore.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 4:44 PM
Have you tried any of Pescado's fixes? Don't know if you'll find what you need here but it's probably worth a look: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/
Site Helper
#5 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 5:35 PM
The real question is whether the Apartment Controller is broken for the entire apartment building (base), or just for that apartment (sublot).

If no other apartment in the building has problems, then it's likely that the sublot is broken, but the base lot is OK. When you move your family into an apartment building, a new sublot is created, so you should be fine.

However, if other apartments experience the same problem, then the base lot is probably bad and I would recommend that you abandon the the apartment building.
#6 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 5:53 PM
This isn't an exclusive apartment issue as I've had Don Lothario have the same issue in his residential lot. There was an unseen path blockage somewhere, Pesacado's stuck object remover solved it. My guess is the game thought someone was on the stairs still (nina had just left the house) and since it's a 1 row stair they sometimes have issues when someone else is on the stairs.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Dec 2011 at 6:17 PM Last edited by LilSister : 14th Dec 2011 at 6:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The real question is whether the Apartment Controller is broken for the entire apartment building (base), or just for that apartment (sublot).

If no other apartment in the building has problems, then it's likely that the sublot is broken, but the base lot is OK. When you move your family into an apartment building, a new sublot is created, so you should be fine.

However, if other apartments experience the same problem, then the base lot is probably bad and I would recommend that you abandon the the apartment building.

Thanks Mootilda-I believe it was just Natasha's apartment-I think I may have an idea of what the problem could be based on the log file: One of the neighbor sims was in the common area in back of my sims apartment making leaf piles and playing in them. When I notice her out back jumping around I checked she had at least 8 piles of leaves already raked, and she was playing in one and another sim was still raking leaves (I never paid attention to the fact that I had all neat sims in one building) this is when the problem started. I made the sim selectable to see if I could get her to dispose of the leaves, but the only options available was play and burn. I dared not to tell her to burn the leaves. I don't have fires in my game and who knows what would have happened. With my luck she would have set the whole building on fire (if that were possible). In hindsight I could manually placed Natasha on the first floor to see if she could have gotten rid of the leaf piles. The log file stated something about clearapartmentlotobjects (thats how it was written). I'm wondering if all the leaves and playing in the back of my sims apartment cause the game to throw an error in the apartment controller, related to my sims apartment. I will test the other 2 occupied apartments before Natasha and Princess back in. If problem occurs I will abandoned and bulldoze promptly.

Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Have you tried any of Pescado's fixes? Don't know if you'll find what you need here but it's probably worth a look: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/

I have the whole folder of MATY Director's Cut Mods ( I don't have them all in game) I also have the BAT Box (which incidently did not have an option for this situation-I wasn't able to fix anything, or nuke anything stuck. What ever cause the error made it appear that the sim was no longer a tenant.
Site Helper
#8 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 1:50 AM
The Apartment Controller likely controls the apartment residences. Since you deleted the Apartment Controller on your second attempt to force an error, the game probably lost track of the fact that the family had an apartment. By moving out and then moving in again, a new apartment sublot should be generated, and that new apartment sublot should have a new Apartment Controller.

Please let us know if it works.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 2:03 PM Last edited by LilSister : 16th Dec 2011 at 5:49 AM. Reason: Update
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
The Apartment Controller likely controls the apartment residences. Since you deleted the Apartment Controller on your second attempt to force an error, the game probably lost track of the fact that the family had an apartment. By moving out and then moving in again, a new apartment sublot should be generated, and that new apartment sublot should have a new Apartment Controller.

Please let us know if it works.

I tested the other 2 occupied apartments-I played one unit for a whole sim week and the other unit for 3 sim days. No problems or errors occurred with the sims living in those apartments. Natasha apartment generated a townie who had move in and I had Danielle knock on the door to check things out-the apartment was furnished with the furniture the lot was created with on the first floor. I didn't move Natasha back in because when I went to play the apartment where the Afumei's live I could see Natasha's bedroom furniture as if she still lived there. These item's disappeared the next sim day. After testing the lot I exited the lot and the game. I tested one of the apartment again this morning and all is well. I will move Natasha and Princess back in when I get home from work and let you know what what happens. Thanks again for your assistance.

UPDATE: I am happy to report that Natasha and Princess are back home in their apartment. No problems, bugs or hiccups so far. Boths sims are able to move freely throughout the apartment. I am also making sure that leaf piles are disposed of promptly just in case. Thanks again Mootilda and thanks to everyone who offered their assisatance it was appreciated.