Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 87 (Who?), Viewed: 29965 times.
Page 4 of 4
Scholar
#76 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 11:01 PM Last edited by TMBrandon : 14th Oct 2012 at 11:46 PM.
A simbot doesnt have disabilities they're not actual sims. That's like saying my phone is disabled because it can't go in water.
Alchemist
#77 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 12:19 AM
I suppose things that are currently seen as disabilities aren't curable, no. But that doesn't mean that they won't be in the future as science/medicine advances. For example, scientists are working on treatments that would allow blind people to see, deaf people to hear and people with severe spinal injuries to walk. Some babies who are born with cleft palates can be operated on (generally mulitple times) and in later life will not experience any problems associated with having a cleft palate at birth, others will still experience a variety of problems.

I do agree with you that TV portrays disabled people as being able to recover when that is not the case in real life, but I also wouldn't consider some of the examples you gave to be examples of disabled characters. Tiny Tim and Colin from The Secret Garden weren't disabled, in my view, they were ill and in both cases were ill with curable diseases. I think that using an able-bodied actor to portray Artie in Glee was ridiculous, but from a characterization point of view I can understand why a character who became disabled (rather than being born disabled) would dream about being able to walk/dance again, as shown in the dream sequence they did. My grandfather became a paraplegic after crashing his aeroplane and (apparently - he died before I was born) always believed that at some point in the future treatments would exist that would cure him and allow him to walk again. But it is a shame that they didn't take the opportunity to show that disabled people can still dance, albeit in a different way. And to hire a disabled actor to play his role, but that's another story....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#78 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 5:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauratje86
I suppose things that are currently seen as disabilities aren't curable, no. But that doesn't mean that they won't be in the future as science/medicine advances. For example, scientists are working on treatments that would allow blind people to see, deaf people to hear and people with severe spinal injuries to walk. Some babies who are born with cleft palates can be operated on (generally mulitple times) and in later life will not experience any problems associated with having a cleft palate at birth, others will still experience a variety of problems.

I do agree with you that TV portrays disabled people as being able to recover when that is not the case in real life, but I also wouldn't consider some of the examples you gave to be examples of disabled characters. Tiny Tim and Colin from The Secret Garden weren't disabled, in my view, they were ill and in both cases were ill with curable diseases. I think that using an able-bodied actor to portray Artie in Glee was ridiculous, but from a characterization point of view I can understand why a character who became disabled (rather than being born disabled) would dream about being able to walk/dance again, as shown in the dream sequence they did. My grandfather became a paraplegic after crashing his aeroplane and (apparently - he died before I was born) always believed that at some point in the future treatments would exist that would cure him and allow him to walk again. But it is a shame that they didn't take the opportunity to show that disabled people can still dance, albeit in a different way. And to hire a disabled actor to play his role, but that's another story....

well the only other option I had was disabled charries who were villains (ie Captian Hook, Long John Sliver). But Both Hedi's Clara and The Secert Garden's Colin did both use wheelchairs until they were able-bodied.
and Tiny Tim did use a crutch (but we don't know if he ever got off of it. All we know is he didn't die). Maybe I should have use Pollyana as an example instead she becomes disabled (it differs the reason the book it was a car, movie with Mills it was a fall of a tree that causes her not to be able to use legs) but is sent away to become enabled. in the first story.

Techinally the only story I can think of which has disabled characters is Harry Potter (Lupin is disabled in my opion.) and Mad-Eye was.

Unless you can count some The Baby Sitters' Club charries:
Claudia has a learning disabltiy (not named)
Stacy (a major charrie) had diabetes
Abby (had asthma and need a back brace)
one of the BSC charges had cancer
another charge was deaf
and another one was autistic
Inventor
#79 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 5:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celoptra
I would really like to see a story with a positive potryal of a disabled person who is (the person was borned disabled) and is able to be a witch/wizard/werewolf and still be disabled and never becomes a normal person.

Well I always thought Lupin's problem in Harry Potter was more of a disabltiy then the other idea people have of it.
Although he wasn't born disabled (that I'm aware of), I always thought Professor X was an awesome character who just happened to be disabled.

As to the rest of what you said: fair enough.
Test Subject
#80 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:03 AM
I Would Like To Say That I Have A Sister Who Is Deaf And Special Needs. A Thing Called Chromosome 13 Deletion. Not Fun For My Fam At All. My Poppa Also Died From Cancer A Week Before My Birthday. I Think That EA Are Stupid For Not Adding These Things. They Say It Is Just Like Real Life. But It Is Not. I Think Having A Wheelchair Would Be Good. And All Of Those Different Diseases
Forum Resident
#81 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:11 AM Last edited by HarVee : 12th Jan 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisixxisabamf
I Would Like To Say That I Have A Sister Who Is Deaf And Special Needs. A Thing Called Chromosome 13 Deletion. Not Fun For My Fam At All. My Poppa Also Died From Cancer A Week Before My Birthday. I Think That EA Are Stupid For Not Adding These Things. They Say It Is Just Like Real Life. But It Is Not. I Think Having A Wheelchair Would Be Good. And All Of Those Different Diseases

The beginning letter of every word does not need to be capitalized ... only the first letter of the first word in a sentence must be.

"It's here today, but it's gone tomorrow.
It's hear today and today will never come again
" - KMFDM, Today
Forum Resident
#82 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:25 AM
So why does this say The Sims Urbz, but posted in the Sims 3?
Alchemist
#83 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:27 AM
Sweet, another zombie thread.

You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Deception, Oil & Laserbeams: motherfucking Tumblr
Scholar
#84 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisixxisabamf
They Say It Is Just Like Real Life. But It Is Not.

They don't say it's just like real life. In real life have you met a fairy and a werewolf building a grimreaper snowman with an alien at 3 am in your front garden? Probably not...

I personally, would like illness, but not disability. I have my own disabilities to deal with in day to day life, and luckily for me, I won't need a wheelchair for loads more years. I'd like my sims to get colds, and occasionally use vector to kill the population when it gets too big, but I don't want sims in wheelchairs or blind/deaf/dumb sims either. Gaming is an escape, and how can I escape if I can do less in game than I can in real life?

Call me Gemma or Gem :)
Played since original 'The Sims'. Spend my life working, playing and lurking around here, posting way too much.
Mattell Random Legacy Challenge
simblr
Mad Poster
#85 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 12:25 AM
I have enough to deal with, diabetes, sarcoidosis, pancreatitis, among other things...do I want to see this in the game? Hell no, and wouldn't be playing if it was there. Or have it modded out. The Sims is my escape, no real life in my game. It's my sandbox, keep it simple.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Theorist
#86 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb40
I have enough to deal with, diabetes, sarcoidosis, pancreatitis, among other things...do I want to see this in the game? Hell no, and wouldn't be playing if it was there. Or have it modded out. The Sims is my escape, no real life in my game. It's my sandbox, keep it simple.

Yes, yes -- a thousand times yes.
Did I mention I agree?
Scholar
#87 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 1:09 AM
I simply can't see how there could be any backlash about sims in wheelchairs - Or for any sim who does not conform to the unilateral sense of so called Normal (and what a nasty, vanilla word Normal is) It's a sad, sad day when players who choose to play sims who face certain challenges are derided and looked down on. In fact it disgusts me that being judgemental of how people want to play this life simualtion game. in any regard, with any flavour, is made to feel bad about it. I wish these people would keep their hate and their narrow minds to themselves. They should be utterly ashamed.

Now building for Sims 4 Muahaha!
"Just that one little word, "no". It's a lovely word our Lord gave us here on earth for when we don't want any cake." Mrs Doyle - Father Ted
Theorist
DELETED POST
13th Jan 2013 at 1:23 AM
This message has been deleted by applefeather2. Reason: Spat out the stupid pill.
Scholar
#88 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 4:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Sweet, another zombie thread.

Stop messing with my work, you filthy necromancers!

Seriously, did someone forget to tell me that it was "bring back the dead" week on MTS?
Page 4 of 4

Section jump